Profile for ChaCha > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 72

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ChaCha RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
HQRP 3 x 25 Opera Glass Binocular in Elegant Black Color w/ Built-In Elegant Black Extendable Handle with Gold Trim plus Coaster
Offered by HQRP-US
Price: $19.91

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I Purchased, December 9, 2014
It's ironic that I purchased these opera glasses based on the somewhat positive comments. My mistake. I went to the theatre last week and had pretty good seats in the mid-orchestra but couldn't see as much as I would have liked with these glasses. I am so glad that I also brought along an old pair of binoculars, which were heavy but did the trick in giving me the bird's eye perspective I wanted.. I know the magnification of 3X is standard so don't know if it's the fault of these particular opera glasses or any that only have 3X but I'm thinking you need more than 3X. Though the price was low, what's the sense if you can't use the product?

EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale w/ Extra Large Lighted Display, 400 lb. Capacity and "Step-On" Technology [2014 VERSION] - 10,000+ Reviews EatSmart Guaranteed Accurate
Offered by EatSmart Products
Price: $39.95
22 used & new from $28.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the large, October 20, 2014
I love the large, lighted display - this way I can weigh myself naked in the dark and not have to accidentally catch a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror.

Couldn't ask for a better scale in terms of price, accuracy and design.

True Blood: Season 7
True Blood: Season 7
DVD ~ Anna Paquin
4 used & new from $23.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Imagine you had a favorite pair of jeans, September 23, 2014
This review is from: True Blood: Season 7 (DVD)
Spoilers For Sure
Imagine you had a favorite pair of jeans. You loved them so much but they became tattered (and not in a good way). You tried to sew them but the best you could do is put patches on them, ugly patches. These were still your jeans but not the same. This is how I see how the writers botched up our beloved series. They kept putting ugly patches on True Blood. It was still recognized as True Blood but a horrible version.
After barely keeping up with Season 6, I watched Season 7 as a chore I felt I had to do. Surprisingly, I liked the first few episodes and then it all fell apart. Why did we have to go back to Taraville? Who cares about the Reverend or Tara's mother? Wasn't their story all sewn up? Why was so much time spent on Jessica and Hoyt? Jason? Snore. Sara Newlin? Double snore. I give this review three stars because I still enjoyed the wonderful humorous dialogue of Pam. Don't expect not to be disappointed. If it was still a great series, I would be very sad that it ended but considering the way it went, it deserved the true death!

Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Fortifying Conditioner for Normal Hair
Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Fortifying Conditioner for Normal Hair
Offered by DropAir
Price: $13.99
6 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It Makes Me Look Like I Went To A Salon, March 23, 2014
I think it all depends on the type of hair you have that will determine if you like it. I have long, blonde, color treated hair. I MUST use conditioner or my hair will tangle. When I put this product on after shampooing, I didn't get that immediate silk like feel to my hair; I was nervous that it wasn't working and I needed something stronger. All I can tell you is that after I was done blowing my hair, I looked like I just came out of a salon. This product is not loaded with oils and other chemicals that make your hair look greasy in 2 days. I'm going to stock pile this conditioner since I've experienced the heartbreak of loving a product and then they discontinue it.

2012 Large Grid Wall Calendar
2012 Large Grid Wall Calendar
2 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars My Go-To Calendar for Many Years, February 14, 2014
I have been using this calendar for many years and loved it but stopped buying it sight unseen. The last time I purchased this from Amazon a few years ago, the delivered calendar had the consistancy of toilet paper. It was ridiculously thin. I don't usually complain but this time I did and the calendar company wound up sending me a new one with the thick paper I was accustomed to. With so many calendars to choose from (and some people going completely digital so no need for a paper calendar), I wonder why they thought those of us who have been loyal to this for many years would accept this. There is only one reason to use this calendar which is for the nice big grids but if what I write in January is showinig through in April, I'd rather get a calendar with something I like such as kittens or lighthouses. Now I will only buy this when I can feel what I'm getting like at Barnes and Nobel or the drugstore.

Gone with the Wind, 75th Anniversary Edition
Gone with the Wind, 75th Anniversary Edition
by Margaret Mitchell
Price: $12.21
131 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars God's Nightgown! This is a Great Book, February 12, 2014
The book GWTW has more layers than a phyllo crusted pastry. While you can still love and appreciate the film, the book gives us so much more insight into this Civil War bad girl. Was Scarlet really beyond redempmption or did she have to make difficult choices since she was surrounded by so many weaklings? One can argue that those who benefitted from her actions would have still survived but how well? Yes, she was vain and selfish but she was also a survivor who took care of her family and friends even at the cost of her reputation which in the South was everything and even if her motives were less than self-serving.

The relationship in the book between Ashley and Scarlett is quite a different relationship than the film was able to depict. Book Ashley wasn't half the "man" Scarlett was and while the movie points to Ashley's feelings towards Scarlet as more invented in her mind, the book shows strong feelings on Ashley's part.

Of course, black people were depicted as either the most clever and loyal human beings in existance or childlike and dimwitted needing their "owners" to take care of them even when freedom was theirs. As people living in modern times, we need to also be somewhat understanding of the time that GWTW was written in.

The Conjuring (DVD)
The Conjuring (DVD)
DVD ~ Patrick Wilson
Price: $10.14
86 used & new from $2.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocrity At It's Best, October 27, 2013
This review is from: The Conjuring (DVD) (DVD)
I waited a long time for this one. I just missed it in the movies and waited about 2 months for it to come out on DVD. So there I was Saturday night, dimmed lights, big screen TV, popcorn and soda by my side. I even silenced my phone to give it that authentic movie theatre experience. Ready, set, action. The movie opens strong with Ed and Lorraine Warren, paranormal investigators lecturing at a college. We're introduced to a video of a former case involving a doll that was truly freaky.

We like the Warrens, they're open, seemingly legit and not without humor. Next we are introduced by way of an early 70's song, Time of the Season, a Zombies classic as we watch this nice family with 5 daughters of assorted ages move into an isolated, large old house. Sadie, the dog refuses to enter which should be a clue that something's not right. It doesn't take long before action occurs, the usual things that go bump in the night. Did I see that? Did I feel that? Was it just my imagination? Of course, it doesn't take long for the entire family to come to the conclusion that there's something up. Enough people have commented about the plot so I won't bore you with my further plot synopsis. Let me just say, this is no classic. Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining enough but there was nothing particularly original here. Maybe if I didn't see so many rave reviews from fans and critics, my expectations wouldn't have been so high. To compare this to The Exorcist or state The Conjuring is this decade's best horror film is just misleading. In my opinion, this is just average. Don't set your expectations too high.

Mr. Coffee JWX9 5-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Black with Stainless Steel Carafe
Price: $25.99
18 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Coffee/Poor Design, November 15, 2012
If the only thing I was rating was the quality of the coffee, I would give it four/five stars. I also have not had any problems with burnt flavor that some have mentioned. But, I also have a problem with the delay brew setting that lets you grab a cup before it's finished as it always drips on the warmer. Another issue is the area where you pour the water into must be done with the precision of a surgeon or you will spill, spill, spill. Sadly, this is one poorly designed coffee maker. I don't care who you are or how careful you are when you pour your first cup, it's inevitable that you will spill some. The amount of money you save by purchasing this inexpensive machine, you will spend on extra paper towels everytime you pour yourself a cup of joe. Despite the good coffee and relative ease of use, I wouldn't purchase this again. I make enough messes on my own; I don't need my coffee maker to do it for me.

True Blood: Season 5 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
True Blood: Season 5 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ Anna Paquin
Price: $21.99
37 used & new from $18.47

5.0 out of 5 stars True Blood - Back From the Dead, September 17, 2012
After season 4, I thought this show was deader than dead. Truthfully, I started to watch season 5 like anticipating a root canal. I made a vow to myself that I only had to watch the first two episodes and if it were intolerable, I gave myself permission to yank the drill out of my mouth. Well color me happy with a big box of crayons - True Blood has redeemed itself as one of the most addicting and entertaining series ever. I feel totally vindicated that all those people who raked us book lovers over the coals for disliking Season 4 because they felt we wanted things to be just like the books were so wrong; we just hated stupid and boring plots, not that they didn't follow the books. I say Were Droppings to them!

Season 5 won me over because it was a return to well written, funny, full of adventure entertainment. There was more fairy fun. Tara has become interesting (can you believe it?) and Jason actually had loads to do this season without it feeling gratuitous to keep him employed on the show. Lots of revealing flashbacks, old characters that we love were brought back, and off the charts humor have succeeded in making my once favorite show a favorite once again. Never thought True Blood come make a comeback. Bravo!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2013 5:14 AM PDT

Game of Thrones: Season 1
Game of Thrones: Season 1
DVD ~ Various
Offered by BuyAndEnjoy
Price: $59.99
18 used & new from $29.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, Hey HBO - This is How You Do It !!!, July 30, 2012
This review is from: Game of Thrones: Season 1 (DVD)
I can't possibly add anything here that hasn't already been said about this incredible epic series except it is a little difficult to get into at first, but you will be generously rewarded if you stick with it (which only takes about 2 episodes). HBO stayed very true to the books and so far have not turned it into the explosive vomit that True Blood has evolved into which started out as one of the greatest series ever. The sheer egos of some writers (and those who allowed True Blood to be destroyed)is beyond my comprehension. They had a near perfect product and had ruined it by taking the series in directions that are ridiculous and cartoonish (and not in a good way).

The magnificance of Game of Thrones makes me once again have faith that HBO can do it right!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8