Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for J. Peplinski > Reviews

Browse

J. Peplinski's Profile

Customer Reviews: 319

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Peplinski RSS Feed (Michigan)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Titleist Pro V1 Refinished Golf Balls (Pack 12)
Titleist Pro V1 Refinished Golf Balls (Pack 12)
Price: $19.99
7 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great balls with a consistent feel, April 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually try to keep my golf balls at around $1.75 - $2.00 per ball. This is a great way to play a ball that is probably more like a $4 per ball at half that price. I'm happy to say that these balls all have a consistent feel, look like a new Pro V1, and really are in near mint quality. I couldn't find any scrapes at all and only a few minor blemishes. Also, the coating used feels normal and not abrasive like some other refinished balls I've tried. I'd rather play refinished Pro V1s than brand new balls of lesser quality. Will they play as well as a brand new Pro V1? There's a lot of people who will say no, but you can't beat the price for a ball that is in most respects, very similar to a new Pro V1

This is a great route if you are an average golfer, but want to play with an above average quality ball.

Energizer Vision HD 6AA Performance Metal Light, (Batteries Included)
Energizer Vision HD 6AA Performance Metal Light, (Batteries Included)
Price: $26.99
2 used & new from $26.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good flashlight, but tough packaging & setup, April 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This review is for the 6AA, 900 lumens model flashlight. This is a very decent flashlight, once you get it going, but there were a lot of minor annoyances getting it loaded with batteries. First off - it's wrapped in super durable plastic clamshell, which was VERY tough to cut. As expected, you unscrew the bottom to load the batteries (though I didn't find anything specifying that). On the packaging, it warns you to make sure the included 6 AA batteries are inserted in the correct orientation. However, it doesn't have a little diagram showing which direction they go. There is a tiny piece of black plastic inside the end that is very tough to see. Ironically, it would be much easier to see if you pointed a 900 lumens flashlight inside. For the record, all the positive ends (the end with the bump) go the same direction as the light and the negative point towards the battery cap.

Once I got it going, I was very pleased with the flashlight. You only have to go through the unpacking & set up one time (until you need to replace the batteries), so I wouldn't let it dissuade you from purchasing this.
First click: very bright, with a powerful center and more diffused light around the edges, so you get a good range of light without it being too focused.
Second click: similar style light as the first, just not as intense
Third click: Off
Click and hold: Strobe mode

Maybe the only drawback to the flashlight itself is that you cannot adjust the width of the focused light. It is a good size - easy to hold, not too small or big, but still able to push out a heavy & full stream of light.

Phaz P2 Carbon Fiber Wired Over-Ear headphones that charge your devices while you listen, Black
Price: $195.25
6 used & new from $195.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality, comfort, stylish, but too many wires, April 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Phaz P2 headphones are a very decent set, packed with features and a unique design to appeal to a wide variety of tastes. The sound quality is very good for the price point. They aren't the best I've experienced, as there seems to be a very heavy mid-range, unless you have the amp with the bass boost on. For most genres, though, you probably don't really need the boost, unless you have it cranked up. I did notice that when you are listening & turn on the amp, there is a pretty loud crackle right when you turn it on. However, it doesn't persist. The spare battery & extra audio out for a separate set of headphones are nice to have, but may not appeal to all users - the battery is very small so it isn't like you are going to replace a spare battery. In fact, you could be charging a phone, listening to music, & having a friend listen and easily have three different wires to maneuver around.

Things I liked:
-super comfortable for long periods of listening
-carbon fiber styling is unique
-Very good sound, even without the bass boost/powered amp

Things I didn't like:
-Battery pack & extra audio out jack is a lot of "bells & whistles" with not a lot of utility (for me), just creating a lot of extra wires

Rowenta DW7180 Everlast 1750-Watt Anti-Calc Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto-Off, 400-Hole, Blue
Price: $143.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Iron Ever., April 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use an iron many times per day, 99% of the time while making sewing projects (for work) and not very often for clothing. I've owned Rowenta irons before, in fact this one was an upgrade from a rather nice Rowenta that I'd been using for about 4 years. This one is nicer!

I want to say up front, if you are ironing a shirt once or twice a week, this may be too much iron for you. If you're ironing clothes every day, or sewing all kinds of projects that require regular pressing at every stage of assembly, this is a GODSEND. But, you probably don't need to spend a ton on a really amazing quality iron like this unless you have serious ironing needs. If you have serious ironing needs (like me), this is like the best toy ever!

The wattage (1750) makes it one of the hottest irons I've ever owned - LOVE that, especially for thick stubborn cotton duck or heavy denim fabrics. A lot of my fabric gets stored awkwardly & winds up with tons of wrinkles, and this iron makes it look easy to get rid of them (my last iron proved: it really isn't). Although I almost always use it on the hottest setting, I found it very responsive to temperature adjustments. I needed to affix some Heat & Bond (fusible web) to a thin polyester, and I was nervous that it would melt under high heat, so I started on the Silk setting. That didn't get hot enough to attach the Heat & Bond, so I adjusted the temp upward little by little until I found the sweet spot, and it worked beautifully - melted the Heat & Bond just enough to work, and did not damage the polyester at all.

It has a substantial weight to it, which is a HUGE benefit when you're pressing thick/difficult fabrics all day. Thick & heavy fabrics need a good amount of pressure to get the wrinkles out, and the weight of this iron does all the work for you! Not only do you not have to guess how hard to press down, the weight is well-balanced and maintains even pressure on your fabric while gliding across it, smooth as ice!

While you can easily control the amount of steam, the max steam level produces a LOT of steam. It's awesome. The copious number of holes on the plate keeps it evenly distributed, and the bursts of steam really help with stubborn wrinkles. My last iron had a water-intake hole that stayed open, allowing small amounts steam to evaporate, but this water intake area is sealed, so not only does it heat up faster & stay hot longer, it also has to be refilled less often (and the holding tank is quite large). I've also seen the designers on Project Runway All-Stars using this exact same iron like a free-standing steamer - hang up the garment and steam it vertically, great for fussy fabrics or tiny details that are hard to reach even with the small tip. Obviously the weight of the iron would not be a benefit if you're holding it in the air for a long time, but it eliminates the need to buy a separate steamer so that's nice!

I don't understand why people are having such a hard time filling this iron. Have they never used a tap-water-iron before?? You just set it in your bathroom sink with the intake positioned under the faucet, which sets it at the perfect angle & you don't even have to hold it - if you forget that it's supposed to fill at an angle, just look at the "Max Fill" line and notice that it's at an angle - this means that when you're filling it, the water will be at that angle. The holding tank is dark, but you watch for the movement - once the line starts moving upward, keep watching it and stop when it gets close to the Max Fill line. Or only fill it halfway, it's quite a large tank and the water evaporates slowly, you won't have to fill it again that soon. Or, overfill it and dump some out. This is not brain surgery.

I haven't had it long enough to need the Anti-Calc valve yet, but it certainly sounds like a nice idea. This is a really excellent quality iron, and I would love to have it last forever. And continue to be super duper hot, and continue to kick out steam like crazy. I must admit, I probably won't come back and update my review in a year after trying it, unless it really doesn't work at all. So if you don't hear from me, assume it worked great.

When I first received the iron, it was missing the Anti-Calc valve - in fact missing the entire housing on the bottom of the iron, so the steam came shooting out of there like an old locomotive! I called Rowenta & asked for a replacement part, but the iron is so new on the market that they didn't have any & required me to send the whole iron back in order to get a new one. I was very nervous because as a Vine Reviewer, I didn't pay for this, but I was super excited to have such a beautiful quality iron & I was afraid they wouldn't replace it! That would have been a terrible review, frankly, but I also would have been super sad! Anyway, Rowenta was awesome. I emailed them a screenshot of my order, they emailed me a shipping label, I dropped the broken one off at a UPS store, and one week later a completely new iron arrived on my doorstep. So, A+ for Rowenta customer service, and A++++++ for this awesome iron!

Oh & it's super pretty too! Cobalt blue and shiny as the day is long? Where have you been all my life?

Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner 28, Teal, One Size
Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner 28, Teal, One Size
Price: $137.58
8 used & new from $134.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Big! Maybe too big, if you are a frequent flyer, April 5, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When it comes to checked luggage, I think there is a sweet spot of size & weight whereby too large a case will make it impossible to fit and meet most airlines 50lb weight restriction. However, you still want to maximize the amount of stuff you can fit in it (since you are most likely paying for it anyway). The Samsonite Omni 28 is definitely stretching the limits of where that sweet spot lies. It is huge and at a little over 10 pounds, it is light, considering its size. It would be very easy to stuff this thing so much that you exceed a 50lb total. Also, as another reviewer mentions, having the expansion out may make you run afoul of their size limitations.

If you aren't too concerned about any airline size/weight restrictions, I would say go for this one. It is solidly built, light, fits a TON, and has a convenient mounted lock system. However, if you are a traveler who flies a lot, you can still get this, but also buy a good travel scale so you know how much you are stuffing in there before you get to the airport.

Zinus Modern Studio Platform 2000H Metal Bed Frame/Mattress Foundation with Headboard, Queen
Price: $173.46
3 used & new from $169.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy assembly!, April 4, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm really happy with this simple, sturdy, easy-to-assemble bed frame! I just assembled it in about half an hour, not counting the 15 minutes it took to lightly sand down the edge of one of the support slats that was just a millimeter too big to fit. The instructions are very basic - pictures only, just like IKEA, and I thought they were very easy to follow. The only slightly confusing part is that the base support for the headboard & footboard look very similar, but they are NOT the same. Apparently previous buyers had a lot of trouble with the assembly, so the manufacturer included a little sticker that says "HOLES" placed helpfully next to some holes - that didn't help much, but it did make me laugh!

Once assembled, the frame feels very strong and sturdy. It has a small profile, even the headboard is relatively small, so despite being kind of a cold black metal, it would blend in with just about any decor. I have a fairly thick pillow-top mattress, and with pillows & blankets on top, you can't even see the headboard. I'm also planning to store it in 2 pieces (frame and headboard) when I don't have guests, and the way this is assembled makes that relatively easy.

As others have mentioned, the box it comes in is EXTREMELY heavy. I have no idea how the FedEx guy got it up the walk!! Once we wrestled it into the house, I couldn't move it much further so I took the individual pieces out & carried them into the guest room for assembly. Even that wasn't too big a hassle though.

It does not look like an expensive bed frame, and frankly it isn't. I really like it a lot though, it's just perfect for our guest room!

18k Yellow Gold Plated Sterling Silver Paws on Round Pendant Necklace, 18"
18k Yellow Gold Plated Sterling Silver Paws on Round Pendant Necklace, 18"
Price: $27.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Very charming gift for your favorite animal lover!, March 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've gotten a few pieces of this new "Amazon Curated Collection" now, and I really like all of it a lot! Each piece (including this paw-print necklace) comes in a beautiful gift box that makes it feel really special. I got this as a gift for myself, but I'm inclined to keep the nice box for future gift-giving opportunities!

The paw print pendant on this necklace is about 1.25" in diameter, with 8 little paw print "holes" through the shiny gold disc. I've only worn it on bare skin, but if you wore it over a turtleneck or boat-neck top, the fabric would show through for a nice overall effect with your outfit. I imagine the bright gold will look really nice with a tan this summer, and actually it would leave some pretty funny tan lines if you wear it out in the sun too long, lol!

The gold chain is indeed delicate, as other reviewers have mentioned, but it seems sturdy enough to me - I have chains on other necklaces that are thinner & have stood the test of time just fine. The fact that both the chain and pendant are gold-plated means it won't turn your neck green & won't bother most sensitive skin types. Both are very lightweight, so much so that you'll forget you have it on after a little while.

The overall look is a nice, classy-casual style; it doesn't appear to be more expensive than it really is, but it doesn't look cheap at all. It's really a very nice necklace that would brighten the neckline of lots of different outfits. It would make a lovely gift for any animal lover! I was also thinking that it would be a great thank-you gift for a valued volunteer at an animal rescue, or for your pet-sitter or groomer during the holidays. The awesome gift box means all you need is a little bow on top!

Callaway Strata Tour Advanced Golf Balls (White)
Callaway Strata Tour Advanced Golf Balls (White)
Price: $11.99
3 used & new from $10.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent balls, perfect if only they were a little cheaper., March 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These Strata Tour Advanced golf balls are pretty decent, but I feel they are $14-15 a dozen balls and not $20 a dozen caliber (which is their current price). They definitely have a better feel around the greens than something like a Warbird. They aren't anything like Pro V1s, but I did have a couple long shots that hit the green and stayed on. Whereas the hard as rock Warbirds probably would have sailed off the back. While they are okay balls that give decent distance and some feel around the greens, I'll probably just get a 24 pack from the local warehouse store for $30 and probably be getting better balls.

Vichy Neovadiol Replenishing Care Night Cream, 1.69 fl. oz.
Vichy Neovadiol Replenishing Care Night Cream, 1.69 fl. oz.
Price: $55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!, March 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using this for a little over a week now, and I absolutely love it. To me, the green-blue color and the light scent remind me of the sea, which I find extremely pleasant but I imagine it's not for everyone. It has a cool feel on the skin, and the moisture seems to absorb quickly. My skin felt softer almost instantly after application, without any thick or sticky feel to it - it feels like a "clean" moisture, if that makes any sense. A little goes a long way, as you would hope with such an expensive product; you don't want to go through it too quickly!

The night cream I was using previously is also a fairly expensive brand & I really like it, so I was not expecting to be so impressed with the Vichy. My original plan was to compare the two creams by using my old one on half my face & new one on the other half, and do this for about 2 weeks to compare results (I recently did this with some neck/chest cream & had excellent results). However, after about 3 days, I liked the Vichy so much better that I decided to cancel the experiment & start using it on my entire face every night! Primarily I just liked the way my skin felt, both during application and the next morning, and didn't notice a huge difference in my appearance. However...

After using the Vichy exclusively for about a week, I decided to use my old moisturizer again for a night to see if I noticed a difference. To help explain my results, I should let you know that I generally don't sleep well & do enjoy a few (or more) glasses of wine, and at age 44 that really shows on my face the next morning. I hadn't really thought twice about it while using the Vichy, but the morning after I went back to my old brand: UGH! I looked more like 84 than 44! My skin still felt soft, but it had the saggy, papery, sad way that 44-year-old skin can look when you drink too much wine & don't sleep well. I hadn't even realized how much better it looked with the Vichy! Granted, I probably shouldn't drink & should sleep more for optimum skin appearance, but since I'm not likely to do that I'll just be very grateful to have discovered this stuff.

The only non-awesome thing I have noticed is that it doesn't help at all with my age-related dark spots. My old brand helps with those a lot. Since using the Vichy for about 3 weeks, I'm noticing the darker areas becoming a little more prominent again. The youthful texture/appearance has improved to the point that I will probably buy the Vichy again when I need new night cream (and frankly, I just love the way it feels & smells), but I'll continue doing occasional retinol treatments from my old brand to keep the dark spots at bay. Other than the spots, I absolutely love it! It's one of the best I've ever used!

Westcott 8-Inch Bent Scissors, Vintage Copper Finish (16459)
Westcott 8-Inch Bent Scissors, Vintage Copper Finish (16459)
Price: $16.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of style but not very practical., March 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These do have a cool retro style, but to me they are heavy and uncomfortable. I have a small business making & selling fabric home decor, soft toys, and accessories like tote bags & small purses, so I spend all day every day cutting and sewing. These are sharp enough, but the stiff hinge doesn't allow for cutting more than 2 or 3 layers at once (depending upon the fabric thickness). The all-metal handle has small openings, in keeping with the vintage design, but are not ergonomically designed for modern hands. All-metal construction means that the handle is just as heavy as the blades, if not heavier, which is not as effective for keeping the blades steady and in place when cutting long lines of a pattern on a cutting table.

"Modern" scissors with plastic/silicone handles have evolved into what they are for a reason: to make cutting easier & more comfortable. I have been using several pairs of Fiskars over the years; I have one pair with spring-loaded silicone-padded handles that makes cutting for long periods so much more comfortable, and a pair with a floating blade tang that cuts very accurately & easily through many layers and extra-thick fabric. I also keep a few pairs of specialty scissors for precision in tiny spaces, trimming embroidery projects, etc. This Westcott item is not going to replace any of them. My scissors sets may not look as cool, but they work much, much better.

I imagine this Westcott pair would look very cute in a vintage-inspired sewing room, but if you need to do a lot of cutting on a regular basis these are going to make your hands hurt.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20