Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Profile for J. Peplinski > Reviews

J. Peplinski's Profile

Customer Reviews: 292

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Peplinski RSS Feed (Michigan)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ELAC S10EQ Debut Series 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer by Andrew Jones with AutoEQ
ELAC S10EQ Debut Series 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer by Andrew Jones with AutoEQ
Price: $499.99
2 used & new from $499.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound once configured with the easy to use app, November 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been extremely impressed with the Elac S10EQ Debut by Andrew Jones. I knew he designed some of the most highly rated consumer speakers for Pioneer, so I was excited to try out an Andrew Jones speaker. It replaced a stock speaker that came with my Energy Take classic 5.1. The most impressive part is the improvement is sound achieved by the Auto EQ with the app. It basically uses the phone's microphone to listen and automatically make the adjustments needed to perfect the EQ and settings. I have my sub in a basement with a lot of hard surfaces. Even with the auto EQ done with my receiver, I've never been super impressed with the quality of the bass from my stock sub . It never exactly produced a warmness I was looking for. However, there is a marked improvement with the Elac S10EQ. It is also powered by a BASH amp, which complements my Class D Pioneer receiver. The app crashed the first time I tried to use it, but other than that, I had no problems. It was easy to use and easy to get the speaker set up and hooked up. At first, I was thinking that having to have a separate app to control it would be a pain (my receiver also has its own app to control it). However, once you get the sub set up and configured, I find that I don't really make a ton of adjustments, so having the controls in the app instead of on the speaker was not an issue.

EUKANUBA Adult Hearty Stew with Beef and Vegetables in Gravy Canned Dog Food 12.3 Ounces (Pack of 12)
Price: $1.99
5 used & new from $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Really big chunks in gravy, November 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have 3 small dogs (a Pekingese, Pomeranian, and a Tibetan Spaniel), who have varying levels of teeth: the Tibetan has nearly all her original teeth, the Peke has about 60%, and the Pom has only 5 teeth total. Because of this, I like to make their dinner a mix of dry kibble and canned food - with extra gravy & wet food for the toothless Pom. Unfortunately, the Pom really hates this food and hasn't touched it since the first time I served it. I tried just doing the gravy for her, thinking maybe the chunks were too big, but she really doesn't like it. I even tried enticing her by adding a little canned cat food, but that only fooled her once.

The other dogs seem to like it, but the chunks are really almost too big for the Peke too. She enjoys the flavor well enough to keep trying, but she would have an easier time with a slightly smaller-chunk food. This size would be better for a medium-to-large dog, I think.

This probably isn't the world's healthiest or most natural dog food, but it's not the worst food either. I'd be more inclined to give it to them in small increments, or occasionally as a "treat meal" if they really loved it, but they just aren't over the moon for this. I realize there's no way to be 100% accurate in describing how a particular food tastes to a dog, and I'm sure there are dogs out there that would love it. I won't be buying it for mine again, though.

Crescent CSD10 Cushion Grip Screwdriver Set, Red/Black, 10-Piece
Crescent CSD10 Cushion Grip Screwdriver Set, Red/Black, 10-Piece
Price: $28.26
4 used & new from $20.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of drivers with magnetic and oxide tips - most used sizes found around the house, November 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great set of screwdrivers with just the right sizes for probably 95% of your around the house tasks needing either a flat or Philips head. The black oxide tips really do seem to help with the grip. Despite another reviewer's claim, I did find these heads to be magnetic and easily hold the screw. I'm attaching a photo showing me holding it vertically head down with a screw magnetically attached. The two smallest sizes are very handy for those hard to reach screws like those tiny ones for battery compartments.

The holes in the handle serve multiple purposes: you can use them to hang them for storage. You can also put another driver through the whole to get better leverage and grip on hard to budge screws. Between that and the oxide tip, you should experience much less slippage (and stripping of screw heads). The grip is comfortable and the bulbous end is a good fit in any hands. I would highly recommend this set, especially to a new homeowner/renter who needs a decent affordable set of screwdrivers to serve most purposes.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Zippo 12-Hour Hand Warmer, Chrome Silver
Zippo 12-Hour Hand Warmer, Chrome Silver
Price: $17.10
33 used & new from $13.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Kind of a hassle to get lit, but works very well for 12+ hours of heat, November 17, 2015
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer 2015 (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Zippo 12-hour hand warmer is a must have for anyone who spends a decent amount of time outdoors in cold winter months. While it touts being able to last up to 12 hours, I've actually been able to get even more hours out of it. It is slim, easily fits in a pocket and stays very warm. Here's how it works:
-Pop off the chrome upper half lid
-Take off the catalytic burner unit
-Fill with lighter fluid (sold separately)
-Put the catalytic burner back on
-Light - Once lit, put back on the lid and put into the fabric bag.

I also had a previous version, which came with a different lighter fluid refilling reservoir. It had a wider fill opening, making it more susceptible for spills. They have improved that design. While it works very well, there are a couple things I don't like about it: it is sort of a hassle to get it filled, lit, and ready to go. It takes me a couple minutes, so I have to make sure I leave enough time to get it filled and lit before I go outside. Also, if you aren't careful, it is easy to spill fluid as you are filling the warmer's reservoir. Furthermore, it is sometimes tough to tell exactly when the catalytic burner is lit. You can easily tell if you are in complete darkness, but in the light, it is harder to tell. Despite the hassle, I still love having this hand warmer and use it frequently.

Purina ALPO Brand Dog Food Meal Helpers, Porterhouse & Prime Rib Flavors, 36-Ounce Box (4oz single serve pouches), Pack of 1
Price: $11.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft, meaty, mess-free bits designed to supplement dry dog food, November 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you've know of the brand "Kibbles and Bits" and understand it is made of dry dog food with smaller, softer, meatier chunks, then these Alpo Meal Helpers are essentially all "bits" which you can mix in with your choice of kibble.

We have small dogs, so a little bit of this goes a long way. I usually don't even mix a whole pouch with their dinners. All the dogs love these, but especially our Tibetan Spaniel and Pomeranian. They aren't mixed with any gravy, which makes it not messy at all. If you have a picky eater and don't want to hassle with the mess of mixing in wet pouches of dog food, then these may be good for you. Also, I've used them as treats for the dogs, giving them a few of these bits here and there.

Conair True Glow Sonic Pedicure Kit
Conair True Glow Sonic Pedicure Kit
Price: $43.34
2 used & new from $43.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising benefits for foot pain relief!, October 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't get pedicures often, so it's a special treat to pamper my feet now & then. They do get pretty atrocious when ignored for too long! I get nasty calluses on the sides of my big toes and around the perimeter of my heels, because of the way I walk.

Rough skin isn't my only foot issue - I've also suffered from plantar fasciitis for years because of large heel spurs growing underneath. After orthotics, special shoes, and other external methods didn't help, I had surgery 5 weeks ago to remove one of the heel spurs. It is healing slowly, and because I can't afford to slow down and rest as much as I need to, it still aches and hurts a lot. My doctor has been giving me ultrasound treatments to reduce inflammation and pain, but I only see him every couple of weeks at most. Much to my VERY happy surprise, this device feels almost the same as the ultrasound vibrations at the doctor's office! And provides almost as much relief! And, I can use it every day to help relieve the pain - more than once, if I want! The brush attachments & sonic waves, combined with soothing lotions, feel absolutely wonderful!

As a pedicure device, it has some limitations. When I ordered this gadget, I thought the brush/file head would spin instead of just vibrate (I don't read descriptions very thoroughly, I admit). I suspect that spinning would be more effective when it comes to sanding down the calluses, though you would go through the textured pads really fast. As it is, the device emits a subtle vibration (at 3 varying speeds) & you move the brush in a circular motion to gently rub down the rough areas. It provides more control this way, I think, though it still wears down the textured pads pretty quickly and I can't find replacements at Amazon! On my first try, I did use it for a long time on various settings, and my feet felt REALLY nice. It is much more gentle than the Ped-Egg (OUCH - whoops), and provides more subtle & soft results. My feet have stayed very soft for days.

The device is indeed water resistant in the shower, though it's a pretty awkward way to scrub your feet while standing up (I did not try in a sit-down bath). I really liked it best outside the bath, when using the brush attachment to apply a soothing peppermint cream to my poor aching feet. Using the different speeds and a circular motion, the sonic vibrations & softening lotion felt FANTASTIC. I could barely walk on my sore post-surgical foot after a long day of painting walls & moving furniture, and after an hour with this gadget my foot felt as good as new! The very-stiff brush bristles are kind of hard to clean, when it comes to lotion, but it's all worth it!

As a pedicure kit, it's okay. It's not a fast process for softening & pampering your feet, but you're supposed to be relaxing right? What I would REALLY like to see with this device/kit, is a) extra sanding discs for the calluses because they wear down too quickly, and b) some kind of case for all these attachments. Between the plug, dock, brush, brush heads, and covers, you get 7 different pieces and no way to really store them together unless you keep the original box. Even a cloth drawstring bag would be handy; I just know I'm going to lose at least 3 of these pieces within a few weeks. Because of these issues, I wanted to give it only 3 stars, but those sonic vibrations left my foot pain-free when nothing else helped! As a post-surgical healing aid, I'd give it 10 stars out of 5! But I understand, that's not exactly a common issue, and more people just want a quick and pleasant pedicure. The other reviewers make some valid points on that issue, but I adore this thing and am going to use it a lot!

Also, the loud BEEPS when it wants you to switch feet are kind of unnecessary, and they scare the crap out of my dogs.

Amped Wireless Titan - High Power AC1900 Wi-Fi Router (RTA1900)
Amped Wireless Titan - High Power AC1900 Wi-Fi Router (RTA1900)
Price: $149.95
33 used & new from $149.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, high performance & range; but a few features missing, October 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been overall pleased with most aspects of the Amped Wireless Titan AC1900 router. It boasts high coverage and performance and it delivers in those areas, which are what matter most with a router. I've had no trouble connecting any of my devices to it from the furthest extents of the house. Also, I've been getting faster speeds and fewer lags and buffering when streaming video (though there are so many factors at play, I can't say it's all because of the router...still...). The setup was easy with the wizard and most of your standard router settings are easy to find and change. I had no trouble finding and setting up the guest network and security. I was up and running within 10 minutes of getting it out of the box. I've never had a router where you could purposefully limit the range, which this router has - good for a dorm room or small dedicated office where you don't want the signal broadcast everywhere. Another feature I didn't realize I wanted was the ability to turn off the LEDs.

Overall I have very few gripes about the router. There does seem to be fewer settings available for tweaking, compared with my old TP Link. My former routers (TP Link & D Link) also did a better job with giving descriptions and explanations within the settings you are tweaking. This one doesn't have as much documentation embedded on those settings screens. The wi-fi analytics tool app I found pretty much useless. It lets you analyze the available wi-fi networks and things like channel strength. However, it isn't a full fledged router settings manager and doesn't show you any sort of network map of the devices connected. At this price, I would hope there would be more options for managing the router from your smartphone.

Overall, this is a very powerful router with a very wide range. It would just be nice if it had a few more options and documentation within the settings.

Giant Slinky Dog Plush
Giant Slinky Dog Plush
Price: $36.04
7 used & new from $36.04

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS DOG IS HUGE!, October 17, 2015
This review is from: Giant Slinky Dog Plush (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't think I read the description very well, because I was expecting it to be about a foot long & maybe 6" tall at most. Imagine my shock when the UPS man came strolling up the walk with such an enormous (yet not very heavy) box! This dog is so big! Stands 15" tall and stretches to a full 3 feet; it is pretty substantially long when not stretched, too. The slinky dog in Toy Story struck me as looking like a hard plastic toy (I don't know if that was intentional, or if it was just my imagination), and this one is very soft, huggable, and just delightful! Looks just like the dog in the movie, to me, but really big and really soft - all good things!

I think any kid would go crazy for this, even if they aren't a huge Toy Story fan (if that's possible). Even if you consider it just a stuffed animal, it is pretty unique! I never imagined a slinky would be so soft and hug-worthy! What kid wouldn't love a big soft dog that stretches halfway across your bedroom?

I don't know if this will ever be considered a "collectible" for Disney/Pixar enthusiasts, but for the adult collector this would make a really fun conversation piece. The surprisingly large size makes it so playful, and I think his spring-shaped belly would be a fun way to display some of your smaller Woodys & Buzz Lightyears. Maybe I'm not normal because at 43 I still like stuffed animals, but to me this seems like a good gift for a Toy Story fan of any age!

Amazon needs to figure out something different for shipping though, to avoid damage to the original box. Despite being all alone in a generously-sized box with a lot of crinkled kraft paper for padding, the original display box had gotten crushed somewhere along the way so it has very crumpled corners & sides, plus a big rip in the top of the cardboard. Obviously you can't really "break" a stuffed animal, but with the holidays coming, gifts look nicer if the box hasn't gotten all beat up first. Kids probably don't care anyway, but I prefer to give a new-looking gift!

Tumi Alpha Bravo Kingsville Deluxe Brief Pack, Anthracite, One Size
Tumi Alpha Bravo Kingsville Deluxe Brief Pack, Anthracite, One Size
Price: $495.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong enough for a man, elegant enough for a woman!, October 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This thing is so awesome, it's ridiculous. Though it has clearly been designed for a frequent traveler, or maybe even a professional coder who hauls a lot of tech around the office, it also suits my different needs rather perfectly. I make things for art/craft fairs, and have to haul a lot of very random, awkward things to every show, and it has been wonderful!

It is extremely durable, even internally - it can take the punishment of a metal cashbox full of change without so much as a scratch, even while the other section is extremely overstuffed with snacks to share with show visitors. The side pockets are the perfect shape to lug bottled water or pop (in bottles or cans), and the front pocket has little sections for wallet basics as well as a surprisingly roomy area for the other essentials so I don't have to bring my purse if I don't want to! There's even a flatter zip pocket above it that is the perfect size for my phone, to keep it from knocking around into things the other crowded areas (also allows one-step access to grab my phone, score!).

Today I took it with me to run errands on my bicycle. I had to drop off a fragile package first, which was well-padded in one of the primary compartments. Next, I stopped at the grocery store for a few things...but apparently I was hungry because I bought a LOT OF THINGS. Again I was able to cram everything into this amazing backpack without so much as bruising one apple! It was packed pretty tight (I was real hungry, no joke) but I still carried it home on my bicycle quite comfortably.

I can really see where this would be perfect for travel. It has a perfectly-sized, well-protected compartment for a laptop, though I don't carry one I would feel very comfortable shoving my iPad in there. I also don't carry a lot of files or briefs (though a sketchbook and pencils are not out of the question) and while they would fit well in there, it will also carry all my clothes and toiletries MUCH better than the typical Jansport backpack that I might normally lug with me for a weekend trip. Not just more heavy-duty (and attractive), but it has myriad pockets inside the myriad pockets, to fit all sorts of weird items you might need for whatever it is you do. Also, it has a padded sleeve on the back which makes it easy & convenient to slide on the handle of a rolling bag for travel.

It looks elegant but simple - you can see the quality, but it's not so ostentatious that it would automatically attract thieves. I'm very proud to carry it around, but not so deeply concerned about watching it every second for theft like I might for a designer handbag that cost the same amount. Maybe I'm just being foolish, but it doesn't trade looks for function. It simply looks like a very well-made, high-quality, heavy-duty backpack.

I will say, if there is a drawback (other than the price, which is fairly steep), it is not only heavy-duty, it's also very heavy. This is to be expected with something that has so many great pockets and so much padding for your delicate electronic devices, but it might not be something you want to take on long hikes unless you're really used to a good amount of weight before adding anything to it. It's really not a huge drawback, and not very surprising when you take into account all the things it can haul, but it's heavy enough to merit a mention.

Still give it 5 stars. I absolutely love it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2015 4:30 PM PDT

Ritz TechStyle Reversible Textilene Grass Cloth Placemats (Set of 4), Camel
Ritz TechStyle Reversible Textilene Grass Cloth Placemats (Set of 4), Camel
Price: $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!, October 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have a camper, which I've been slowly decorating in a vintage tiki style. Previously, I had some straw-style Hawaiian-themed placemats that were very cute, of them got mildew after rain came in the dinette window, and the other got ruined when somebody (me) spilled chocolate milk all over it. These are not just a perfect replacement, but MUCH more suited to the task of camping!

The look is very nice - they look like a bamboo/grasscloth with just the right texture, so in my camper they echo the tiki style. But, I can imagine them being very versatile for any room; they're really a neutral color that will look fine in any decor. The texture feels similar to the nubby straw placemats I had before, but with a slightly more rubbery feel. This is fantastic in my camper because they a) won't slip around on the dinette table, and b) they will REPEL moisture (in the form of water or chocolate milk) instead of soaking it in and getting ruined. Honestly, what was I thinking getting fragile, non-water-resistant anything for camping? I'd feel very comfortable using these outdoors as well as inside. Even on a gross campground picnic table, they will keep the food neat & tidy and easily wipe clean after a meal.

LOVE them. I'd recommend them for any home, but especially for any camper!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20