Profile for Katherine > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 55

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Katherine ">^,,^<" RSS Feed (Boston suburbs, MA, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender
Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender
Offered by Securifi Inc
Price: $89.99
18 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars unobtrusive, easy, and powerful, April 5, 2014
I am very happy with this product, which I am using as a range extender. It took very little time to set up and not only boosts my wi-fi connection so I get a stronger connection on the other side of the house, but it also lets my iPad get a connection, which it could not before.

Portable EL Wire 10 Feet Long (Red)
Portable EL Wire 10 Feet Long (Red)
Offered by HenWah(From HK 15-35 days delivery)
Price: $3.20
29 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright enough, but more orange than red, January 30, 2013
I was hoping for a red or a bright pink as the picture shows, but the reality is that this is more of a neon orange, which is quite a lot less cool... :(

Wall Charger, New Trent Arcadia NT90C 10W 5V/2A Dual USB Ports high-speed AC Wall Charger for Smartphones, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, S5, Note 4, Nexus 6, 5V Tablets and more
Offered by idealpoint
Price: $19.95
3 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice collapsable dual charger!, November 12, 2012
The dual charger is awesome! I frequently have to charge both my phone (every night) and my Kindle Fire at the same time, and I have one of those "squid" extension cord/surge suppressor things, which has 5 outlets on it. 2 of those are taken up with lamps, one with my laptop, and frequently something temporary is charging in another (like one of my camera batteries, or my tablet, which are proprietary plugs, all) which leaves me only one MicroUSB outlet... so either I have to put my Kindle fire somewhere else to charge, or else leave it dead until the next day... Oh, I also charge the bluetooth keyboard for my tablet with the same kind of cable. Having two USBs on one plug has been great! I really like this product, and I LOVE that the plug folds in, so you can put it in your purse or luggage without worrying about it poking stuff!

iOttie HLCRIO102 One Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7) /5s/5c/4s, Galaxy S4/S3/S2, HTC One - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $19.99
11 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5th time's the charm?, October 28, 2012
This was the 5th phone car mount I tried, and I have to say, it's a winner! I mounted it to the windshield way down low by the dash, as far left of the steering wheel as it would go. It's so tucked away over there that it doesn't hamper my view at all. The two plastic tab/buttons on the sides are released when you put the phone into the holder (there is a button that gets pushed in. This action also brings the clamps inward to hold your phone.) To release the phone, just squeeze those two tabs again and the clamps move apart and the little button actually gives your phone a little push toward you, popping it gently into your hand.

The suction cup has a clamp that makes it REALLY secure. When you release the clamp, you can pull on a little tab to remove the suction cup. I have not had mine come even slightly loose in the month since I bought it. You can also mount it to the dash, but since I have a GPS there already, I thought that would be crowded.

At least on my phone (Motorola Droid 3) the power plug and various buttons are not covered, and so you have full access to your phone's features. I really like not having my phone just sitting on the seat/in the cupholder/in the change holder, in my purse, etc.

I tried many other ones, including vent-clip models (stay away!), dash friction mount models (too big), and other suction cup ones (mechanics weren't as slick) and finally decided this was the best of the bunch. Highly recommended.

Micro USB Male to USB A Female Adapter
Micro USB Male to USB A Female Adapter
Offered by PowerDigital247
Price: $3.99
61 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great until it broke. Which was after using it once., October 10, 2012
I'd love to give this tiny thing five stars, because the "cover with built-in keyboard" I bought for my Toshiba 10" tablet came with a standard-sized USB cable to hook it up with. I mean, seriously. It's a TABLET. The whole thing is 3/16ths of an inch thick, and a USB plug is 1/4" thick... did the people who made this cover/keyboard contraption really think that a TABLET would have a full-sized USB port?! Anyway, this isn't a rant about illogical tablet accessory design, this is about a USB adaptor.

So the USB adaptor came and it was nice and small. It fit snugly onto the USB cable (really? USB? FOR A TABLET?!?? Sorry, I'll stop now. It's just that I can't help it) and then the microUSB part fit nicely into the microUSB port in my tablet (MICROUSB, GUYS! IT's A TABLET!!!! Oh, sorry, I said I'd stop...). The first time I tried to use the keyboard nothing happened, but I was just testing it quickly and didn't actually have time to sit down and play with it, so I turned it off and ran off to do what I needed to do. A couple of days later I came back to my tablet with the intent of watching a Netflix movie. I plugged it into the keyboard using the adaptor, and what do you know??? The keyboard worked! This was going to make my tablet approximately 189% more awesome! I reveled in the joy and wonder of being able to type on a keyboard with my tablet, then I watched my Netflix movie.

When I put my tablet away, I pulled the plug out of the tablet... and the adaptor pulled apart. The microUSB plug (the metal part that actually goes into the port) pulled away from the plastic, exposing wires and bending at about a 30° angle relative to the rest of the adaptor. Well fooey! At first I thought maybe I could just push it back, but I could see that some of the wires had actually pulled out from inside the microUSB plug and I knew that just bending it back would only shove the wires around, not make them go back where they were supposed to be.

So basically, it works great, but it's so fragile that it's not very useful. It's certainly not durable enough to travel with.

I returned the adaptor yesterday for a refund.

C2G / Cables to Go 30504 USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial ATA Drive Adapter (Black)
C2G / Cables to Go 30504 USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial ATA Drive Adapter (Black)
Price: $17.99
76 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great little device, October 10, 2012
I had another device for doing the same thing, essentially, except it was a case that you put the drive into and hooked it up, then you plugged in the case. I think it was designed for using a hard drive as a more permanent external drive whereas this one seems more like the kind of thing meant to frequently swap out hard drives. My old one was kind of slow and a bit unreliable. I don't know why. It was old, which is probably the reason. Anyway, after many, many transfers failed, or the data transfer rate dropped to something resembling oozing molasses and my transfer window said things like "2 days, 14 hours, and 29 minutes remaining" I decided that maybe I needed to retire the unit.

So I bought this Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex thingie. I liked that I knew the brand. And the reviews were good, so I felt confident. When it arrived I hooked that puppy up to the same drive I'd been having problems with on my old device and voila! Data transfer! At good speeds! Very easy to use, and very compact for storage. I have a lot of old hard drives from Computers Past and this little doohickey made accessing my old data a snap.

And the nice thing about this is that unlike my old one, which was a big metal box, this is small, compact, and easy to store. You could easily pop this into your laptop bag and take it with you, for example, which I couldn't have done with my old unit.

Iams Pro-Active Health Adult Indoor Weight & Hairball Care 14 Lbs 6.35 Kg
Iams Pro-Active Health Adult Indoor Weight & Hairball Care 14 Lbs 6.35 Kg
Offered by Boston Bella Baby LLC
Price: $25.74
5 used & new from $25.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality cat food, and I didn't have to drive 30 minutes to buy it, October 10, 2012
I have indoor adult cats, and so both weight control and hairball control are issues I have to fend off. I generally buy this cat food at the grocery store, but this year I spent pretty much the whole summer up in New Hampshire at the family's vacation lake house (with the cats) which is out in the middle of nowhere. The closest grocery store that carries this brand at all is 30 minutes away, and you're not guaranteed that they'll have this particular product once you get there.

I have Amazon Prime, so when I saw that this was available here on Amazon, for pretty much the same cost as getting it at the store, and I wouldn't have to pay shipping* I jumped at the opportunity. The time and gas saved was well worth it. It was a no-brainer.

So a product I already really like--and my cats like it, too! A lot!--at a price comparable to what I pay anyway, I didn't have to leave the house, and I received it less than 48 hours after placing the order. Winner!

As for the product itself, Iams is a very good brand, with less filler and other cr*p than many of the other brands. If you have cats that aren't super active (for example, most indoor cats like mine) then the risk of excessive weight gain is very real. I've had fat cats in the past, to be sure. Especially if you free-feed (leaving a bowl of food out 24/7 so your cat can eat whenever it wants) your chances of having an overweight kitty really increase. If you do free-feed, you should discuss with your vet how much food your cat(s) need per day, and only put out that amount in the bowl each day, and if they run out before the next day, too bad, so sad. Anyway, the point here is that this is Indoor Weight Control cat food, designed to keep kitty from becoming a blubberbutt. I think that's a good thing.

Also, since my cats don't go outside and thus don't do natural cat things like eating grass (I keep meaning to try that "cat grass" stuff you can grow inside...) they are prone to getting hairballs. This particular Iams food is also "Hairball Care" which I can only assume is a good thing. Mind you, my cats still hork up a hairball here and there, but probably fewer than if they were on a different food.

Also of note, about Iams and other "upper tier" cat food brands: because they have more real food in them and less plant-based filler, your cats will ...err... poop less. Sorry, no polite way to say it. The more indigestible content in the food, the more their bodies need to pass through and on out the other end. Store brands and common brands like Purina and such have a much higher filler content and your litter box will show you the difference pretty quickly!

*Being so heavy, the shipping might have been a deal-breaker if I had to pay for it, though at the current price of $26.29 it does just squeak by into free Super Saver shipping eligibility, though the downside there is that you have to wait 5-8 days for it...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2013 4:59 PM PDT

Get Well and Sympathy Card Assortment - box of 12 cards & envelopes, 2 each of 6 designs
Offered by Cronin & Company
Price: $15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing too exciting, but good quality and a good value, October 10, 2012
Considering that most people get a card, read it, leave it on the end table for a couple of days because they feel too guilty to just chuck it in the trash right away, and THEN they chuck it in the trash, it seems like it's really not worth it to go way out of your way to get the Perfect Card for every card-giving situation. Getting your spouse a 10 or 20 year reunion card? Yeah, you want to read every card in the store and buy the absolute best one... but a get well card for a friend or colleague, or a sympathy card, well, honestly as long as it isn't tacky or too obviously cheap-o, it's fine.

This set of cards is a nice assortment. They're tasteful, not over the top, pretty much universal in terms of who you could give them to, and the paper quality is good. And the cost comes out to just over a dollar per card, which is reasonable.

I recently had to send a couple of people sympathy cards when a relative died, and once when a friend was ill, and I decided that it really would be good to have both sympathy and get well cards on hand, so I bought this set. I know that my "thank-you card" writing habits got MUCH better when I bought a bulk box of thank-you cards, so I think that having these cards around will cause me to be better about sending this type of card when the situation arises.

The only thing I'd say about these cards is that they do lean toward the feminine, as all but one design is floral (the one non-floral design is just leaves), though they aren't super girly floral patterns, and I don't think most guys would feel put off receiving any of these cards. I'd give them 5 stars if there were a couple more gender-neutral designs (or even a few more masculine ones) for balance.

New Trent IMP68B Extendable Stylus/Styli Touch Screen Cell phone Tablet Pen with Micro-Knit Technology Capacitive Stylus for iPhone 5 4 4s, iPod touch, new , iPad (4th gen) with Retina display, the New iPad(third gen), iPad 2, iPad (1st gen), Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Xoom, Blackberry Playbook, Barnes and Noble Nook Color, and all other Capacitive touchscreen devices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tip, could be longer, October 8, 2012
I have two styluses from this company, this one and the retractable tip one. I like this one better because the other one has a plastic collar at the end that can become uncomfortable. This one is really nice. It took me a minute to figure out how to make it extend--it should come with instructions; I was pulling on the third segment, not the middle one--but once it did it was very nice. I just wish it extended to be a little bit longer, then I would give it five stars.

Sophia Global Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 02 (1 Black, 1 Cyan, 1 Magenta, 1 Yellow, 1 Light Cyan, 1 Light Magenta)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, October 8, 2012
Given that the "real" ones I saw at the store were between $40-50, this is quite a deal. I was concerned about quality/leaking based on some reviews of other brands, but this one sounded better, so I went for it. They work great!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6