Profile for pixieverde > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

pixieverde RSS Feed (Northampton, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Belkin Chambray Case for Fire HD 7 (only fits 4th Generation Fire HD 7), Slate
Belkin Chambray Case for Fire HD 7 (only fits 4th Generation Fire HD 7), Slate
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $14.56

5.0 out of 5 stars slim profile, good protection, classic look, January 5, 2015
I used a leather Belkin cover of similar design for my 1st gen. Kindle Fire, and it has kept the device in great shape for three years - no dings, cracks, or scratches despite several falls on hardwood floors, and regularly bumping lunchboxes and umbrellas in my work bag.
This updated version fits my new Fire more snugly, is thinner, and opens in the opposite direction, but otherwise functions the same.
The cover stays closed with an elastic strap, can be propped on its side for landscape oriented content, and can be folded behind the Kindle (but not fastened) for one-handed reading (I see some reviewers claiming this isn't possible, and I do wonder if they actually tried. I can do it two ways!) The hard plastic portion has cutouts for the buttons, speakers and rear camera.
I like the notebook-like aesthetic of this case.

Tokyo Milk Dark La Vie La Mort Parfum No.90 Dark Collection, 2 Fluid Ounce
Tokyo Milk Dark La Vie La Mort Parfum No.90 Dark Collection, 2 Fluid Ounce
Offered by LUCCA
Price: $31.04
15 used & new from $28.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, spicy, and floral. (tuberose, cardamom, jasmine, and hibiscus leaf), April 4, 2014
Disclosure: I love most things from Tokyo Milk.

La Vie La Mort starts out super sweet and creamy, like vanilla & flowers, but in only a minute or two, the sweetness fades to sharper notes - leaves, cardamom and jasmine - after a few minutes. I am guessing the tuberose is the source of the strong creamy floral scent, but I wouldn't know, having never smelled tuberose on its own. This one is a bit strong for a few hours after spraying, and then mellows out quite a bit, lingering as just a slight close-to-the-skin scent.
I also tried a sample of the matching handcreme, which smelled much more strongly of jasmine.

La Vie La Mort is similar to, and plays nicely with Tokyo Milk's French Kiss (tuberose, gardenia, vetiver, mandarin), which I had in bubble bath form.

Crabtree & Evelyn Eau de Toilette, Lily, 3.4 fl. oz.
Crabtree & Evelyn Eau de Toilette, Lily, 3.4 fl. oz.

5.0 out of 5 stars A light, office-safe floral scent (hyacinth, lily-of-the-valley, violet leaf, greenery), April 4, 2014
I am equally in love with C&E's new(ish) Lily and Wisteria. I never smelled their discontinued Lily of the Valley, so I had no particular expectations when smelling this, (and I don't think it's fair to rate it poorly because it isn't the same - it isn't meant to be)!

Lily is beautiful and unimposing. The scent is of spring flowers, crushed green leaves, and a little soap. I don't usually find floral smells headache inducing, but do understand that heavier scents like rose, geranium and tuberose can overwhelm some people. I can't imagine anyone would have that problem with Lily. I find that this sadly fades from my skin after a few hours, but lasts on my clothing for quite a while, so I usually spray it on my collar.

Office-safe; nobody will smell it without getting close enough to hug you.

Lollia Breathe Eau de Parfum-3.5 oz.
Lollia Breathe Eau de Parfum-3.5 oz.
Offered by Our Pampered Home
Price: $41.30
12 used & new from $41.29

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet and summery bouquet (peony, white lily,grapefruit, orange, and green leaves), April 4, 2014
To me Lollia's Breathe smells like a mixed bouquet of June flowers and a citrus cocktail. It's a breezy spring floral scent, and the slightly sweet fruity notes compliment the floral and green elements quite nicely. I grow several kinds of peonies and oriental lilies in my garden, and adore their fragrance; I have to admit that this scent isn't a precise match, but I like what I smell all the same.

This has become one of my favorites. One spray lasts for about half of a day before I stop noticing it, and it's not so strong as to offend others nearby.

Tokyo Milk Lip Elixir Dark Collection, No.36 Dark Salted Caramel, 0.6 Ounce
Tokyo Milk Lip Elixir Dark Collection, No.36 Dark Salted Caramel, 0.6 Ounce
Offered by Tokyo-Milk
Price: $7.00
5 used & new from $7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars tasty and moisturizing, but wish they'd left out the petrolatum, April 4, 2014
I love Tokyo Milk perfumes and lotions, but I'm a little disappointed in the "lip elixer". The flavor and scent are both really nice (I have the salted caramel flavor), and I'd say it falls somewhere in between a balm and a gloss for functionality.

The consistency is really goopy and sticky, which wasn't so nice when my wool scarf got windblown onto my face and and left little fibers glued all over my lips. I blame this on the petrolatum - bad stuff in my opinion. This was a gift, and I'll use it up, but won't be going back for more.

Library of Flowers Parfum Crema-Forget Me Not
Library of Flowers Parfum Crema-Forget Me Not
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $21.00
7 used & new from $18.17

5.0 out of 5 stars sweet, clean, spring-like scent (osmanthus, rice powder, white orchid), April 4, 2014
I love this scent. I have never smelled Osmanthus on its own, so I can't comment on how accurately it is represented here, but this is what I smell: fresh water; slightly sweet powder; clean, sharp, green-white flowers. This definitely has a synthetic "fresh & clean" thing going on, but despite my usual aversion to blatantly synthetic perfumes, I just find this one so, so pretty. I have the parfum crema, which is intensely strong. Be careful to only dab it with your fingers - don't scoop up a glob like you would with a lotion! The tin is bigger than I imagined - this will last a long time.

I have tried samples of the eau de parfum, which lasts 4 or 5 hours, and the scented handcreme which lasts even longer.

San Fermin
San Fermin

5.0 out of 5 stars this may be what love sounds like, December 17, 2013
This review is from: San Fermin (MP3 Music)
I can't say I've ever rushed out to buy music I've heard on NPR before, but you know, there's a first time for everything and all that. I heard "Renaissance" by San Fermin on All Songs Considered, and it grabbed my attention immediately. I'm a big fan of The National, and part of the draw is Matt Berninger's unique baritone, and weighty delivery. Allen Tate, who performs the male vocals for San Fermin sounds strikingly similar. And the music? Horns, violins, piano, soprano choruses, pregnant pauses, crescendos... It's pretty amazing.

I was a little disappointed when I saw that the some of the songs have a female lead, until I got a minute into "Sonsick" on Youtube. (The live performances and the album feature different female singers, but both are startlingly good.) I can't deny that I was completely emotionally manipulated by that song. And then by the whole album. I can't recommend it enough.

Wed 21
Wed 21

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, as always, December 17, 2013
This review is from: Wed 21 (MP3 Music)
"Tres Cosas" and "Son" are still my favorite of Juana Molina's albums, but I'm quite happy with the livelier "Wed 21". I first heard "Salvese Quien Puedo" (from "Tres Cosas") on Pandora, and was captivated by Molina's soothing, sultry voice, and the slow build of her music. Her sound is entirely unique, and marvelous. Electronic-acoustic, singer-songrwriter, one woman orchestra. Sweet ballads and lullabies are infused with the glitchy sounds of ambient electronic music. Juana Molina's last album, "Un Dia" had a little bit too much glitchy noise for my taste. "Wed 21" has perhaps toned it back down a little bit, but the biggest change is that she's gotten louder, and a little faster.

Have a listen. Especially if you like Lali Puna or Mum. And look up some videos of her performing live. It's quite a thing to see her recording, looping, and harmonizing with herself as she builds her songs up!

(OK, I'll admit here that I'm really bad a describing music, and I rarely write reviews, but Juana Molina is a unique and talented musician who I think deserves much more notice than she receives. I couldn't stand to see only four reviews here!)

Wildewoman
Wildewoman
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A joyous, brilliant explosion of harmonies and sounds, December 17, 2013
This review is from: Wildewoman (MP3 Music)
I got this album on a whim about a week ago, after buying San Fermin (which is also amazing, and features the vocals of the two women of Lucius) and hitting repeat on "Sonsick" about a million times. Now I cannot stop listening to Lucius (and San Fermin).

This is upbeat, joyful pop (indie? alternative? whatever, it's good) music minus the saccharine and vapid lyrics. Highlights for me are "Turn it Around", "Tempest", and "Don't Just Sit There", lively standouts that almost demand listeners dance and sing along, and "Go Home", a haunting, heart-wrenching ballad. But in all of the songs - even if the lyrics are biting or bleak - you can just hear how much these musicians enjoy what they are doing, and the feeling is somehow contagious. There's not a bad track on this album.

I recommend looking up live Lucius performances on youtube (Tiny Desk Concert is a good start) to get a better idea than what Amazon has up for samples. But really, just get this album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2014 7:00 AM PDT

Momotaro
Momotaro
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, creative cellist. I could listen to this on repeat all day!, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Momotaro (MP3 Music)
I bought this album after hearing (and loving) an instrumental song from another Takenobu album, "Exposition", on my Dirty-Three-inspired Pandora station. Momotaro seems to be his only fully-instrumental album to date, and it is excellent.

The music is beautiful, at turns haunting, soothing, sad, and triumphant. The way the songs build on each other and flow together, you get the feeling that you're hearing a soundtrack without the accompanying story. And you are! According to the artist's website: it's an "instrumental adaptation of the Japanese children's story Momotaro, about a boy born from a peach who grows up to save his village."

Seriously, if you're thinking about buying this, don't hesitate!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3