Profile for C. Wooley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Wooley "Mom of two" RSS Feed (Garden City, MI)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Lotus Lane #1: Kiki: My Stylish Life (A Branches Book)
Lotus Lane #1: Kiki: My Stylish Life (A Branches Book)
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and fun beginning chapter books with good content, October 9, 2014
These are really nice books for young girls that are ready to step up into chapter books. I appreciate that they have many illustrations throughout the book to keep their attention. Many young readers that have the skills to read chapter style books, get bored without any fun pictures to make it exciting.

These stories are cute and aren't too mature for young readers. My daughter is 8 and I was a little worried that they might be too dramatic or centered around boys. The characters are young and girlie and deal with getting along in school and just having fun in their little group. They do text alot...but that's the only drawback.

I felt the content was fine and suited for a younger audience. I'm a bit picky about the content of books for children and I thought these were fun books and cute for young girls.

Murder at the Breakers (A Gilded Newport Mystery)
Murder at the Breakers (A Gilded Newport Mystery)
Price: $8.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh new mystery writer, October 5, 2014
I really enjoyed this first novel by Alyssa Maxwell. I found the setting refreshing after reading many historical mysteries set in England. Using the Vanderbilt family and the emerging railroad industry as the backstory was very interesting.

The main character, Emma, was a clever and very independent young woman for this time period. The mystery took place in the beginning, which I enjoyed. The story and the key characters of her brother, nanny/housekeeper and a newly arrived male "reporter" developed nicely as she continued to investigate who committed the murder. I would consider this a cozy mystery because it wasn't too graphic or explicit. The end had nice closer, but we know that this isn't the end of Emma's sleuthing. We get brief details of another mystery and the hint of another encounter with her new male detecting partner.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable read and I'm looking forward to reading her next novel in this series, which was recently released.

That Summer: A Novel
That Summer: A Novel
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but a little disappointing, July 30, 2014
I loved the last novel (The Ashford Affair) that branched away from the Pink Carnation series and was excited to read That Summer. I did enjoy this novel as well, but not as much as the Ashford Affair.

The story is very interesting and I always love reading both stories, current day and historical. That is Lauren's niche and she does that well. However, I was a bit disappointed with the ending of the historical. I didn't feel closure at the end...not really ever knowing who "did it". I felt it lacked her normal polished product.

It was enjoyable and I am still looking forward to reading more independent novels from Lauren. I think she too much on her plate (being pregnant, which is understandable) while writing this book, and unfortunately it affected the final product. I know she is a good writer and better novels will come.

The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After
The Bridgertons: Happily Ever After
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A well done collection, July 1, 2014
I was eager to get cozy with one of my favorite historical families again. It had been a few years since I finished Julia Quinn's series of the Bridgerton family and I hoped I could remember each story. I appreciated that Julia Quinn "recapped" some key parts in each story...possibly to refresh our memories.

I have to admit however, I was a bit disappointed in the first few epilogues because they seemed to be just some additional sex scenes with the characters being older now without much of an extended story.

But, the remaining epilogues were better and left me feeling like I did indeed learn something more about the characters and how their lives progressed over the years. I especially enjoyed the story featuring Amanda Crane, step daughter of Eloise. This was written in 1st person and expanded on a character who later became part of the Bridgerton family.

And of course, readers will finally get their story of the matriarch of the family...Violet Bridgerton. This was the final novella and by far the best. It was heart warming and brought closure to the collection nicely.

It was nice to reminisce about the Bridgerton's again and know that they all continued to have a happily ever after.

Death at Bishop's Keep (A Victorian Mystery)
Death at Bishop's Keep (A Victorian Mystery)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really liked it...a good historical mystery, June 1, 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book written by Robin Paige (who is Susan and her husband Bill Albert)

I've been looking for new historical mysteries to read and Susan Albert was recommended to me by a friend. Susan writes many mysteries set in different time periods with different aged women detectives. She has a series set in the present day, late 1800's and early depression.

Death at Bishop's Keep is the 1st of her historical series set in American and later in England. The main character, Kate is intelligent with a clever wit. She's an American author who suddenly comes into an opportunity to travel to England to live with relatives that she didn't knew existed.

The mystery starts early on in the story, which I enjoyed. It was interesting to learn about using fingerprints and photographs during investigations. It wasn't an accepted form of evidence yet, but the other main character, Charles Sheridan, uses them to assist the police in solving a murder found at an archeological dig.

I enjoyed the unique back story of Kate secretly collecting bits of information for her new mystery novel she's trying to write. She refers to herself as her pen name often, when she's trying to convince herself to take chances and snoop around.

The story moved along nicely, and an additional murder happened later in the book which added another spin to the story.

I look forward to reading the rest of the series and I'm glad I gave this author a try.

Judy Moody and Friends: Jessica Finch in Pig Trouble (Book #1)
Judy Moody and Friends: Jessica Finch in Pig Trouble (Book #1)
by Megan McDonald
Price: $4.43
68 used & new from $0.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was searching for my young reader, April 13, 2014
I am so happy that Megan McDonald started this new beginner reader series. My daughter is in 2nd grade and it's been difficult finding "hybrid" books for her to read. She's well past picture books, but chapter books are too long and not very visually engaging to keep her attention. She did read a full blown Judy Moody book at school and she enjoyed it...but it took her 3 weeks and she wasn't very enthused to try another one. This new book was exactly the right level and renewed her interest in Judy Moody.

This new series is perfect! Every page has a wonderful illustration to make it fun to read. The chapters are short, but still long enough to make the young reader feel like they have moved up from picture books. The story was fun, cute and appropriate for this age group. Not too baby-ish and not geared toward a pre-teen.

I work at my local public library and was excited to bring home this book for my daughter to read. I hope Megan McDonald continues this early chapter book series, because it's a perfect way to introduce Judy Moody to young readers.

India Black by Carr, Carol K. [Berkley,2011] (Paperback)
India Black by Carr, Carol K. [Berkley,2011] (Paperback)
3 used & new from $121.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, clever and witty, April 13, 2014
I have to admit, I was a bit hesitant to continue reading after the first line..."My name is India Black. I am a whore." It seemed very blunt and I worried this novel might be too graphic and dark.

However, I am so glad I kept reading and gave it a chance. India Black is very clever and witty and yes...a bit blunt, but it's not too overly done. I could understand the humor behind her sarcasm and it was very important part of her character. The story wasn't too graphic or depressing at all. It was quite entertaining with all of India's clever comments.

The story was interesting and moved along at a quick pace. However, I'm not sure that I'd classify this novel as a mystery. It was more of a spy and espionage novel...not a "who done it" mystery.

The characters were very well developed and I could easily visualize India, French, Vincent and Dizzy.

I am definitely adding Carol Carr and her India Black series to my list of favorite authors and books.

Mouseton Abbey
Mouseton Abbey
by Nick Page
Price: $12.40
81 used & new from $0.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it...what a clever book!, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Mouseton Abbey (Hardcover)
What a clever book! The artwork is fun and exciting. The little mice are knitted and posed in different rooms in the estate called Mouseton Abbey. The cute characters are all named after real cheese flavors. It was fun to talk about the cheese and if we've ever tried it.

The story is fun...it's a mystery of the missing cheesy diamond. My daughter loves mysteries and I thought this spin on my favorite PBS series was brilliant. She enjoyed the story and appreciated the art. After reading it out loud to me, she went back through the book to look at the pictures.

I love books that are unique and clever and this one is a keeper!

Folkmanis Little Hare Puppet
Folkmanis Little Hare Puppet
Offered by A-Prime Sales
Price: $9.55
30 used & new from $9.54

5.0 out of 5 stars The cutest bunny puppet ever!, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Folkmanis Little Hare Puppet (Toy)
My daughters' review-Great! Get her up every morning and always play with her. Awesome! :)

My review-This bunny puppet is so cute. She's well made and will last being played with everyday. My daughter takes her bunny puppet everywhere and she often times is found in my purse! We found this puppet at a nearby library and wanted to own one for ourselves. I researched the Folkmanis company on the internet and was pleased at how many nice puppets they have to offer. They are very well made and life-like. You can open and close her mouth to make cute expressions.

We are very happy with our bunny puppet purchase.

Mortal Arts (A Lady Darby Mystery Book 2)
Mortal Arts (A Lady Darby Mystery Book 2)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, better than the 1st in this series., December 31, 2013
I really enjoyed Anna Huber's second book, Mortal Arts. I thought the topic she used for this mystery was unique. I haven't read any books that touched upon mental patients or the asylums they were kept in. The story gave enough information for the reader to understand the inhumane treatment of people who were believed to have mental problems. It wasn't too explicit or gross. I don't enjoy reading books that have a lot of gore or disturbing images. Anna Huber kept the details to an acceptable amount without being boring or vague.

In my title, I mentioned that I enjoyed this novel better than the 1st. In the 1st novel, I found some of Kiera's dialogue to be a bit contemporary sounding and not always true to the time period. I found no such issues in this 2nd novel and was pleased with the scenes and dialogue.

Kiera and Gage's characters develop nicely in this second novel. Gage's background is explained a bit more and we get a better understanding of his relationship with his father and mother. The chemistry between Kiera and Gage progresses more and yet leaves the reader anxious for the next novel in this series.

I can't wait to read Anna Huber's next novel and am very happy that I have found this author to read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3