Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for Wally Schmerheim > Reviews

Browse

Wally Schmerheim's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wally Schmerheim RSS Feed (TYLER, TX, US)

Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis
Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis
by Harold Davis
Price: $24.21
71 used & new from $15.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner by Harold Davis, February 20, 2015
Plain and simple you won't go wrong with books written by Harold David. He gives detailed information on all of his photographs

Close Up Photography in Nature
Close Up Photography in Nature
by John Gerlach
Price: $27.98
68 used & new from $20.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, February 20, 2015
An excellent book for both beginners and intermediate photographers.
Numerous examples with detailed info furnished
Money well spent.

Creative Close-Ups: Digital Photography Tips and Techniques
Creative Close-Ups: Digital Photography Tips and Techniques
by Harold Davis
30 used & new from $14.02

5.0 out of 5 stars The book is extremely informative on all aspects of close-up photography and the photos are of excellent quality, detailed as to, November 14, 2014
A friend loaned me his copy of this book because of my interest in flowers and macro photography in particular. I initially skimmed through the book (my usual procedure before actually reading it) and immediately placed an order for my own copy.

The book is extremely informative on all aspects of close-up photography and the photos are of excellent quality, detailed as to the actual settings used and, in many cases, very thought provoking.

You will not be disappointed with your purchase of this excellent book.

The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes
The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes
by Joe McNally
Price: $36.58
114 used & new from $2.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally detailed, March 30, 2013
This book had been recommended to me by a member of our local camera club. I was not disappointed! I especially like the manner in which Joe McNally (down to earth) explained each flash situation.

I recommended this book to anyone seriously wanting to move beyond the use of the simple on-camera flash.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers, The
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers, The
by Martin Evening
Price: $40.70
111 used & new from $0.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but......, May 22, 2012
I would agree with the majority of the reviews that rated this book at five stars. I have only had the book a few days but without question it holds a vast amount of information that will certainly benefit anyone wishing to advance their knowledge of using Lightroom 4.

The "but....." portion of my review is meant only to address the visual readability of the book. Those of you not at or beyond retirement age can probably ignore this portion of my review. The fonts on the lead-in page of each chapter are very readable in size and boldness. The rest of the chapters, in smaller and lighter fonts, are very tiring to the eyes. Just making them bold would be a major improvement.

The visual readability issue aside, I find it difficult to put the book down. Mr. Evening stated in the introduction that he intended this book to be the ultimate reference quide to Lightroom. Although I have only progressed through the first two chapters I feel that I have gained knowledge that has already improved my ability to process photos more efficiently.

Even in the early stages of reading this book I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for that "ultimate reference guide" to Lightroom 4.

The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
by Michael Freeman
Price: $20.61
70 used & new from $8.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Way beyond the mechanics, February 8, 2011
As other reviewers have stated, if you're looking for magical instructions for settings on your camera that will produce award winning photos, look elsewhere.

Reading "The Photographer's Eye" gave me my first lesson in the visionary side of photography and "The Photographers Mind" is the next logical step in the process of creating truly outstanding photos.

I'm not making light of the mechanical side of photography because it is necessary to understand all the functions of your camera. Consider that you've taken a picture that is "almost perfect" as far as exposure, white balance, texture and overall image quality. However, it might be an oustanding photo if you had just composed the subject at a different angle or placement within the frame or taken advantage of lighting that would set a completely different mood in your scene.

I could continue riding my horse on an on but my point is that both of these Freeman books will point you in the right direction for creating truly outstanding photos. Another reviewer mentioned reading these books more that once and gained knowledge each time. I agree 100% and can say from my own experience that I too have learned something new each time I pick up these books.

Digital Exposure Handbook
Digital Exposure Handbook
by Ross Hoddinott
30 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding handbook, January 4, 2011
I have no hesitation in submitting my review of this book as I put a lot of stock in reading reviews before purchasing. I have purchased books in the past based on flowery reviews by the publisher and/or "critics" only to find I wasted my money. THIS BOOK IS NOT A WASTE OF MONEY!

I rate this book as outstanding mainly because of the detailed approach to each subject matter. Each subject is explained in detail and, in my humble opinion, will be understood by beginnerS and also hold the attention of intermediate photographers. Sizewise, the book is small enough dimensionally to easily fit into a bag or backpack.

If I could have my cake and eat it too I would prefer the book to have a larger font to make it easier to read. However, I must admit that my eyes are not what they used to be! Suffice it to say that I am well into my 70's.

In summary, you will not go wrong by purchasing this book. Ross Hoddinott has done an exemplary job of putting together an outstanding handbook that is truly informative.