Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Profile for ADK > Reviews

Browse

ADK's Profile

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ADK "Adam" RSS Feed (Michigan)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Meccano MeccaNoid G15
Meccano MeccaNoid G15
Offered by Haute Republic
Price: $80.27
229 used & new from $45.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Please DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!, January 11, 2016
This review is from: Meccano MeccaNoid G15 (Toy)
I Spent lots of hours with my 7 year old daughter supervising and assisting her in assembling this toy. That time together was priceless. Seeing her learning the assembly process, and improving at reading / understanding the instructions was great. She built 90% of the robot herself and was SO excited to finally get to play with it (this was the toy she had on the top of her Christmas list). That excitement turned to disappointment 1 minute after the initial programming sequence completed when the robot indicated that the batteries were dead (yes , I updated to the latest firmware before startup). Another set of batteries, another 5 minutes of run time. It's this type of disappointment that can dull the enthusiasm of a young mind that would otherwise be proud of a successful build and be able reap the reward of their "hard" work and learning. I'm afraid that this toy will have done more harm than good in fostering her interest in all things mechanical / electrical.

Anyway, instead of waiting on hold for hours on end, I decided to go buy another G15 locally and swap the brain (since that's what it seems like tech support has been offering based on other similar reviews), but the results are the same... 2-5 minutes of run time. Finally, I decided to contact tech support after all... thankfully, the wait time was only a couple of minutes. The CRS said he would send me a new battery box (I highly doubt that this is the problem), but I'll give it a shot). Despite my asking twice, the CSR was not willing to describe what further action may be taken once the battery box fails to remedy the problem, and basically said that they'll only cross that bridge when we get there.

If I get the run-around, I'll be returning the G15, (as well as the G15-KS that I also bought and haven't opened yet), and I'll be looking into the Lego Technics and Mindstorm sets to replace the two robots.

This is a follow-up to my review after contacting customer support:

I emailed customer support nearly a month ago (before calling them as mentioned above) and have not yet receive a response... at this point, I don't expect I will. It has been 2 weeks since I was told that they will be sending a new battery box to fix the problem, but I have yet to receive any sort of confirmation email let alone the new part that I was promised. The Amazon return deadline is now only 5 days out, so I'm sending it back along with the G15-KS. Terrible support for this product.

Edit: I bought the Lego Mindstorms EV3 kit. I understand that people who are looking to spend $100-150ish on a toy probably aren't going to be interested in spending $300+ for a similar toy. However, if your child is truly interested in robotics or STEM, then I believe the price difference is justifiable. I saved a bit of money by buying the EV3 kit from Amazon Warehouse deals. Everything was there and in good condition except the box had a slightly dented corner. My daughter loves it! Robot build time is shorter than Meccano, and the building and programming possibilities are endless with this kit. In short, the Meccano is a toy, whereas the EV3 kit is an educational tool disguised as a toy.

Remote Starter Kit w/ Keyless Entry for Dodge Avenger - True Plug & Play Installation
Offered by Advanced Auto Security
Price: $159.99

2.0 out of 5 stars More like Unplug & Pray, December 1, 2015
I just installed this product last night on my 2010 Dodge Avenger. I have an extensive background in mobile electronics and automotive repair in general. I've installed several (non-plug & play) remote starters, head units, complete stereo systems, auxiliary lighting, etc. I suppose that by definition, this is in fact a plug & play remote starter in that you don't need to cut or splice any wires for the installation. The fact of the matter however is that once you unplug the factory harness (using a long screw driver per the video tutorial) it is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to plug in the new T-harness to the factory anti-theft module (located between the ignition key cylinder and the head unit behind the dash). The video tutorial shows a guy using a long screwdriver to reach an inaccessible location behind the dash in order to remove the factory harness plug (that's the easy part) and follows up with "stay tuned for part 2". Guess what, part 2 doesn't exist. I imagine part two doesn't exist because the amount of contortion required to facilitate the T-harness installation left nothing for the camera to see... either that, or the installer gave up and the installation never happened (more likely).

After trying for about 40 minutes to plug in the T-harness from under the dash, I started thinking about how I was going to get to work in the morning because I had no hope of getting it connected. BEWARE: Once the factory harness is disconnected, your car won't run until it's either reconnected, or the T-harness is plugged in. In desperation, and based on the location of the required connection, I thought I might be able to gain access by removing the stereo head unit. In order to do that I had to remove the center console, the stereo & A/C bezel, and the head unit itself. Unfortunately, that only gave me a marginally better view of the plug with VERY little access. I was however able to remove a screw from the anti-theft module that allowed the module a bit more freedom to move around. So, I went back to trying to get to it plugged in from under the dash.

It was only with pure determination and a HUGE stroke of luck that I finally got the connector wedged partially in position, but crooked. I was able to then leverage a screwdriver to hold the connector in place under the dash while I used another screwdriver and my fingers to access the connector from the stereo side in order to nudge it straight so that it would slide in. The view from outside the vehicle must have looked obscene... like I was violating my steering wheel or something. FINALLY !!!! The T-harness is installed!!!!

Once I finally got the T-harness installed, it was already too dark to see much, so I just put my car back together, went through the remote start programming procedure, and then tucked everything under the dash temporarily until the following day (today) when I can mount everything properly with the supplied zip ties. It was only after I went inside to clean myself up that I notice the cuts and scrapes all over my left hand from the raw edges of the steel mounting brackets that hold the dash together.

The remote starter itself works good so far as I can tell, however this product, for this specific vehicle SHOULD NOT BE ADVERTISED AS PLUG & PLAY. The starter itself has good range despite my having not yet mounted the antenna properly. The remotes seem to be sturdy with good build quality, and once the T-harness is connected, they control the door locks, trunk pop, and start features without any further wiring.

It appears that I purchased the last remaining product as the listing shows "currently unavailable" so I'm not sure how much help this review will be for anyone else, but I felt obligated to write it anyway. I gave 2 stars despite the product actually working as advertised because the REAL product being sold here is the convenience of a plug & play installation (each of these parts can be bought separately for less money and still be installed at home). Since the installation was not nearly as easy as advertised, and in fact only happened because I got very lucky in making the connection, 2 stars is what I'm willing to give it.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Wallet Case, Abacus24-7 PU Leather Flip Cover & Stand, Black
Samsung Galaxy S6 Wallet Case, Abacus24-7 PU Leather Flip Cover & Stand, Black
Offered by Abacus24-7
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent case, but not as useful as I had hoped, June 26, 2015
This case is actually pretty nice, as long as you don't intend to use it the way it was intended. The materials are nice and appear to be of decent quality. The phone fist superbly in the plastic clip-on frame and stays there securely. The case will open and close with ease, and the magnetic clasp holds the cover closed nicely.

However, the reason I bought this case was because I was hoping to get rid of my wallet and only have to carry this instead. After putting my phone in the case I started to transfer over my ID and credit cards. With my ID and 1 extra card, the case still works OK. If I put any more extra cards in the slots, of which there are three, the case will not close sufficiently flat over the phone to allow the magnetic clasp to close properly without squeezing the entire case flat. Also, since the bill holder area is not long enough to fit an unfolded bill, bills must be folded in half before inserted which again adds more thickness to the inside pockets further preventing the cover from closing properly.

Ultimately, since I only paid like $3 for it, I'm not going to bother sending it back, but I've already removed it from my phone and put it someplace where it will undoubtedly get lost forever.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2015 12:05 PM PDT

Stens 285-456 Spindle Assembly Replaces AYP 130794 Husqvarna 532 13 07-94
Stens 285-456 Spindle Assembly Replaces AYP 130794 Husqvarna 532 13 07-94
Offered by Mowtownusa
Price: $22.99
13 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than described!!, August 7, 2014
The short story: I bought a pair of these to replace the ones on my Craftsman 42" mower deck. They bolted right in and they work great!

The long story: My 20+ year old Craftsman mower started making a loud noise that sounded almost exactly like a freight train horn. Upon inspection I found that one of the blades was barely able to be turned by hand. Further investigation revealed that I could simply replace the spindles (I decided to replace both since if I didn't, the other one would no doubt seize up in short order). I thought about replacing just the bearings instead of the whole spindle but when removing the spindles, the original self tapping steel screws had corroded against the aluminum of the spindle and hence 5 of the 6 bolt heads broke off during removal, and one of them actually broke the aluminum casting of the spindle. There was no chance that I could re-use the existing spindles, and even if I could, the replacement bearings alone would likely have cost just as much or more than buying the entire spindle assembly.

When these parts arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had tapped holes and matching bolts included, as opposed to the untapped holes and self-tapping bolts as described in the product listing. They even included new hardware for both ends of the spindle, a hex nut & washer for the pulley side, and a hex bolt and washer for the blade side. The parts bolted on without incident (make sure that on the pulley side, you put the washer between the spindle and the pulley), and the blades spin freely now as expected.

The following day I reattached the deck to my mower and went to work on the lawn. The mower deck is SO much quieter now... barely audible over the sound of the engine.

Ecosmart 14-Watt Soft White Compact Fluorescent R30 Flood Light Bulbs 2-Pack (equivalent to standard 65 watt bulbs)
Offered by DCA1
Price: $13.92

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, April 4, 2014
Yep... these bulbs are terrible. When first turned on, the bulbs simply glow a little bit but throw absolutely no valuable amount of light. Another reviewer is not exaggerating when he says that a key chain light puts out more light than these bulbs at start-up... and I have 3 of them in one fixture... all the same... all terrible.

iKANOO Portable Bluetooth Speaker (BT012 Black)
iKANOO Portable Bluetooth Speaker (BT012 Black)
Offered by Best 4 Best
Price: $14.89
17 used & new from $8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars This speaker is being stuffed in a drawer somewhere..., April 1, 2014
I don't have a ton of experience with bluetooth speakers, but I can tell you that this one is pretty bad. I'm not sure what the previous reviewer is doing even mentioning the word "audiophile" in the review for this speaker, as this speaker has no right to be referenced anywhere near a word that implies high quality and excellent sound. (Yeah, I know, I just used that word in a review for this speaker too, but it was in a completely different context, so there.) In fact it's quite the opposite. The iKantoo BT012 feels cheap. The buttons on top feel like they're going to break or pop off if you press too hard. The speaker uses a mini-USB connector (pretty much obsolete) instead of a micro-USB connector, and the included auxiliary input cord is about 2 ft. long.

The sound from this speaker is muddy a muffled. It might be useful as a speakerphone since it has about the same audio quality as a telephone earpiece however I purchased it with the intent to use it as a speaker for my office PC. I don't ever intend to have the volume up loud, and the thing would sit right in front of me about 1 foot away, so I thought any old cheap speaker should do, right? Wrong. The sound is so bad and the constantly flashing light on the top is so distracting that I'm going to put this thing into a drawer for now and probably into the trash when I find it again sometime next year.... or maybe I'll give it to someone that I don't like.

Was there anything good about this speaker? Hmm... Well, it was easy to get connected to my PC, despite the broken english instructions that were included... example: "Start: Turn on the speaker it would give "du-du" as tip and the blue light begin flickering, the default volume is 60%". Well, the light on mine is green, not blue, and I sure hope the speaker doesn't "du-du" on my desk.

Anyway, I think I paid $12 for mine and I wouldn't do it again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2014 10:05 AM PDT

ACDelco ATX14BS Specialty AGM Powersports JIS 14-BS Battery
ACDelco ATX14BS Specialty AGM Powersports JIS 14-BS Battery
Price: $82.27
2 used & new from $82.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome battery, March 14, 2014
The battery is great, but the ability to buy a battery online with a high degree of confidence that it will fit your vehicle is even better. I absolutely love the technical information chart that they included in the listing for this battery. Using the chart I was able to determine the exact size, polarity, and terminal layout of this battery and be 100% confident that it would fit my ATV.

Setting up the battery once received wasn't quite as easy as I though it would be, but it wasn't difficult either. Filling the battery with acid didn't go as expected. The instructions say that you should be able to plunge the tips of the acid container into the battery receiving holes and let the acid drain into the battery for 20 minutes. I found this not to be the case. After 20 minutes, (2) of the acid tubes had partially drained into the battery while the other (4) had remained nearly full. I suspect this is because there is no place for the displaced air to leave the battery as the acid enters it. After some vigorous tapping on the bottoms of the tubes which helped slightly, I resorted to squeezing the tubes to force the acid into the battery. All in all it took probably 30 minutes. No big deal.

This battery has some serious cranking power. My ATV used to be a hard starter, now it seems like it wants to start if I even look at the start button. Literally, I can just tap the start button and it fires up... and this is a 25 year old ATV I'm talking about. The battery has no problem running my winch (for my plow) but I expect any battery would do fine with that.

Frigidaire 316207529 Oven Control Board
Frigidaire 316207529 Oven Control Board
Offered by HomeAppliancePart
Price: $136.95
3 used & new from $112.98

3.0 out of 5 stars It works!!, March 14, 2014
Much like the reviewer before me stated, my oven made a loud pop noise, kinda like a fire-cracker, and that's when my 10 year old Frigidaire electric oven quit working. I found this replacement board on Amazon for about $30-$40 cheaper than any of the other online appliance part suppliers, so I bought it.

I was a bit nervous after receiving it and seeing that it is significantly different looking from the original board, but apparently the functionality is the same is it worked fine once installed. The beeper / alarm is slightly louder, and the beeps are slightly longer, but those are the only functional differences that I have noticed... insignificant really.

My only gripe with this product is that the housing piece (black plastic that the board clips into) didn't come with the face-plate that has all of the button labels and is the part that you see when you're looking at the oven. This is understandable though since there are different colors / styles of face plate. With that said, I elected to swap the control board from the new housing into the old housing that still had the face plate on it, since that face plate is adhered to the old housing with some pretty substantial adhesive. I would have preferred if this control board came without the housing at all, or at least with the housing separate. The reason for this is that in order to remove the control board, I had to pry back some plastic tabs on the housing and flex the board considerably to release it from the housing. It would be very easy to damage the new control board if one isn't very careful in this process.

The alternative to swapping housings is to swap the face plate, but then you have to worry about tearing or bending the plastic face when you're removing it. You have to make sure to align the face plate correctly when you reinstall it. And you have to find a suitable adhesive that will hold the face plate indefinitely.

I love that this part was cheaper than anywhere else, and I love that it is / was Prime eligible, so I had my oven back up and running 2 days after the initial incident. I would buy it again if the need should arise.

Update: After about a month of use, the first digit (left-most) in the clock / timer display stopped working. If I tapped on the face of the control panel, the character would light up or flicker briefly, and shortly thereafter, it stopped working altogether. I knew there had to be a broken trace or a cold solder joint so I went to work trying to find it. I pulled the board and inspected it closely but was unable to visually detect any defects. I started to re-flow all of the solder joints in the area of the display module but the problem still wasn't fixed. What I did to solve the problem ****I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING... IT IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS AND COULD CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH****. I had to resort to plugging the board into the electrical power of the oven and gently flexing the circuit board in different areas while checking for the problem character to light up. I used this method to localize where the problem joint was. I then used my finger to move individual component leads to find the particular joint that was defective (it turned out to be an IC lead). I re-flowed that solder joint and the display now functions as it should. I've reduced my rating to 3 stars as I have lost a bit of confidence in the product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2014 8:46 AM PST

Extreme Max UNIPLW50 UniPlow One-Box ATV Plow
Extreme Max UNIPLW50 UniPlow One-Box ATV Plow
Price: $396.77
3 used & new from $342.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Plow, Highly recommended, March 9, 2014
I bought this plow for a 1990 Honda TRX300FW ATV. Since my ATV wasn't listed on their compatibility chart, I contacted Extreme Max customer support via their web site to inquire about compatibility. Their response was prompt and included a paper template that could be printed out and used to determine if the mounting hardware would work with my ATV. After using the template, I was reasonably confident that the plow would work, or at the most require minimal customization.

I installed the plow in my brothers garage with my brother and a couple of other guys and I can say that everyones first impression upon un-boxing was that this is a pretty heavy duty set-up. We all work in the steel fabrication industry in some form or another and we were all impressed with the quality of materials used.

Assembly was straight forward with a well written set of instructions and illustrations. I couldn't ask for a better set of installation / assembly instructions. After laying out the parts, the plow was assembled in about an hour. I worked on the push tube assembly while my buddy worked on the blade assembly and then we attached the two.

Fitting the mounting plate to the ATV seemed like the most time consuming part only because I had to locate and drill (2) holes and cut (2) notches in the skid plate for the U-bolts to pass through. I could have un-bolted and removed the skid plate, and assembling would have taken about 5 minutes, but instead we spent about a half hour on attaching the mounting plate to the bottom of the ATV. We stood the ATV up on its rear end much like one of the photos above to make it more accessible and easier to work on. The mounting plate attaches only about 6" in front of where a true "mid-mount" plow setup would attach, and it still uses the horizontal frame rails so there is much less risk of bending anything during plowing than there is if you're using a front mount setup.

Attachment of the plow unit to the mount really couldn't be easier. Line up the holes, slide in (2) pins, and clip your winch hook to the attachment point and your done. Literally takes under a minute to attach and detach the plow.

Honestly, based on the prices of other plow systems were you have to buy the mount, the push tubes, and the blade separately, I can't believe that this Uni-Plow system is not priced higher. I kinda feel like I'm lucky that I bought now before they realize that they're way under-charging for this unit.

I highly recommend this plow setup, especially for the '88-'92 Honda TRX300 owners out there who can't find a direct fit plow system for their ATV's. This Uni-Plow system is, for all intents and purposes, a direct fit.

WARN 28878 ATV Winch Mounting System
WARN 28878 ATV Winch Mounting System

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a direct fit!!!, March 9, 2014
This winch mounting plate is intended for 1990 - 1992 Honda TRX300 ATV's. I own a 1990 Honda TRX300 and, while this mount does fit, the mounting hardware was not suitable for the application. I had to add some custom U-shaped spacers or else the mount would not have clamped tightly to the frame and the plate would have rattled during operation. Two of the six U-clamps [(2) 3/4" & (4) 1"] were not sized correctly. Instead of (4) 1" U-clamps, there should be (2) 1" and (2) 7/8" U-clamps. Alternatively, if the supplied hardware (bolts) had been fully threaded, they may have been able to close the U-clamps enough to tighten it around the significantly smaller frame tube.

I bought this mount in order to mount a Superwinch (1120210 LT2000) but the available mounting holes did not match the hole locations on the Superwinch. This being a Warn mount, I can understand that they wouldn't be concerned with making if fit other brands of winch, but I though it was a point worth noting in this review as it did require further modification of the mounting plate.

Unfortunately, for us 1990-1992 TRX300 owners, this may be the only option for a winch mount aside from a complete custom set-up, so I guess it's better than nothing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4