Profile for ADK > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ADK "Adam" RSS Feed (Michigan)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Stens 285-456 Spindle Assembly Replaces AYP 130794 Husqvarna 532 13 07-94
Stens 285-456 Spindle Assembly Replaces AYP 130794 Husqvarna 532 13 07-94
Offered by Mowtownusa
Price: $19.99
9 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than described!!, August 7, 2014
The short story: I bought a pair of these to replace the ones on my Craftsman 42" mower deck. They bolted right in and they work great!

The long story: My 20+ year old Craftsman mower started making a loud noise that sounded almost exactly like a freight train horn. Upon inspection I found that one of the blades was barely able to be turned by hand. Further investigation revealed that I could simply replace the spindles (I decided to replace both since if I didn't, the other one would no doubt seize up in short order). I thought about replacing just the bearings instead of the whole spindle but when removing the spindles, the original self tapping steel screws had corroded against the aluminum of the spindle and hence 5 of the 6 bolt heads broke off during removal, and one of them actually broke the aluminum casting of the spindle. There was no chance that I could re-use the existing spindles, and even if I could, the replacement bearings alone would likely have cost just as much or more than buying the entire spindle assembly.

When these parts arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had tapped holes and matching bolts included, as opposed to the untapped holes and self-tapping bolts as described in the product listing. They even included new hardware for both ends of the spindle, a hex nut & washer for the pulley side, and a hex bolt and washer for the blade side. The parts bolted on without incident (make sure that on the pulley side, you put the washer between the spindle and the pulley), and the blades spin freely now as expected.

The following day I reattached the deck to my mower and went to work on the lawn. The mower deck is SO much quieter now... barely audible over the sound of the engine.

Ecosmart 14-Watt Soft White Compact Fluorescent R30 Flood Light Bulbs 2-Pack (equivalent to standard 65 watt bulbs)
Offered by DCA1
Price: $14.30
5 used & new from $13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, April 4, 2014
Yep... these bulbs are terrible. When first turned on, the bulbs simply glow a little bit but throw absolutely no valuable amount of light. Another reviewer is not exaggerating when he says that a key chain light puts out more light than these bulbs at start-up... and I have 3 of them in one fixture... all the same... all terrible.

iKANOO Portable Bluetooth Speaker (BT012 Black)
iKANOO Portable Bluetooth Speaker (BT012 Black)
Offered by Best 4 Best
Price: $14.99
13 used & new from $13.49

2.0 out of 5 stars This speaker is being stuffed in a drawer somewhere..., April 1, 2014
I don't have a ton of experience with bluetooth speakers, but I can tell you that this one is pretty bad. I'm not sure what the previous reviewer is doing even mentioning the word "audiophile" in the review for this speaker, as this speaker has no right to be referenced anywhere near a word that implies high quality and excellent sound. (Yeah, I know, I just used that word in a review for this speaker too, but it was in a completely different context, so there.) In fact it's quite the opposite. The iKantoo BT012 feels cheap. The buttons on top feel like they're going to break or pop off if you press too hard. The speaker uses a mini-USB connector (pretty much obsolete) instead of a micro-USB connector, and the included auxiliary input cord is about 2 ft. long.

The sound from this speaker is muddy a muffled. It might be useful as a speakerphone since it has about the same audio quality as a telephone earpiece however I purchased it with the intent to use it as a speaker for my office PC. I don't ever intend to have the volume up loud, and the thing would sit right in front of me about 1 foot away, so I thought any old cheap speaker should do, right? Wrong. The sound is so bad and the constantly flashing light on the top is so distracting that I'm going to put this thing into a drawer for now and probably into the trash when I find it again sometime next year.... or maybe I'll give it to someone that I don't like.

Was there anything good about this speaker? Hmm... Well, it was easy to get connected to my PC, despite the broken english instructions that were included... example: "Start: Turn on the speaker it would give "du-du" as tip and the blue light begin flickering, the default volume is 60%". Well, the light on mine is green, not blue, and I sure hope the speaker doesn't "du-du" on my desk.

Anyway, I think I paid $12 for mine and I wouldn't do it again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2014 10:05 AM PDT

ACDelco ATX14BS Specialty Powersports AGM JIS 14-BS Battery
ACDelco ATX14BS Specialty Powersports AGM JIS 14-BS Battery
Price: $69.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome battery, March 14, 2014
The battery is great, but the ability to buy a battery online with a high degree of confidence that it will fit your vehicle is even better. I absolutely love the technical information chart that they included in the listing for this battery. Using the chart I was able to determine the exact size, polarity, and terminal layout of this battery and be 100% confident that it would fit my ATV.

Setting up the battery once received wasn't quite as easy as I though it would be, but it wasn't difficult either. Filling the battery with acid didn't go as expected. The instructions say that you should be able to plunge the tips of the acid container into the battery receiving holes and let the acid drain into the battery for 20 minutes. I found this not to be the case. After 20 minutes, (2) of the acid tubes had partially drained into the battery while the other (4) had remained nearly full. I suspect this is because there is no place for the displaced air to leave the battery as the acid enters it. After some vigorous tapping on the bottoms of the tubes which helped slightly, I resorted to squeezing the tubes to force the acid into the battery. All in all it took probably 30 minutes. No big deal.

This battery has some serious cranking power. My ATV used to be a hard starter, now it seems like it wants to start if I even look at the start button. Literally, I can just tap the start button and it fires up... and this is a 25 year old ATV I'm talking about. The battery has no problem running my winch (for my plow) but I expect any battery would do fine with that.

Frigidaire 316207529 Oven Control Board
Frigidaire 316207529 Oven Control Board
Price: $139.04
6 used & new from $130.97

3.0 out of 5 stars It works!!, March 14, 2014
Much like the reviewer before me stated, my oven made a loud pop noise, kinda like a fire-cracker, and that's when my 10 year old Frigidaire electric oven quit working. I found this replacement board on Amazon for about $30-$40 cheaper than any of the other online appliance part suppliers, so I bought it.

I was a bit nervous after receiving it and seeing that it is significantly different looking from the original board, but apparently the functionality is the same is it worked fine once installed. The beeper / alarm is slightly louder, and the beeps are slightly longer, but those are the only functional differences that I have noticed... insignificant really.

My only gripe with this product is that the housing piece (black plastic that the board clips into) didn't come with the face-plate that has all of the button labels and is the part that you see when you're looking at the oven. This is understandable though since there are different colors / styles of face plate. With that said, I elected to swap the control board from the new housing into the old housing that still had the face plate on it, since that face plate is adhered to the old housing with some pretty substantial adhesive. I would have preferred if this control board came without the housing at all, or at least with the housing separate. The reason for this is that in order to remove the control board, I had to pry back some plastic tabs on the housing and flex the board considerably to release it from the housing. It would be very easy to damage the new control board if one isn't very careful in this process.

The alternative to swapping housings is to swap the face plate, but then you have to worry about tearing or bending the plastic face when you're removing it. You have to make sure to align the face plate correctly when you reinstall it. And you have to find a suitable adhesive that will hold the face plate indefinitely.

I love that this part was cheaper than anywhere else, and I love that it is / was Prime eligible, so I had my oven back up and running 2 days after the initial incident. I would buy it again if the need should arise.

Update: After about a month of use, the first digit (left-most) in the clock / timer display stopped working. If I tapped on the face of the control panel, the character would light up or flicker briefly, and shortly thereafter, it stopped working altogether. I knew there had to be a broken trace or a cold solder joint so I went to work trying to find it. I pulled the board and inspected it closely but was unable to visually detect any defects. I started to re-flow all of the solder joints in the area of the display module but the problem still wasn't fixed. What I did to solve the problem ****I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING... IT IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS AND COULD CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH****. I had to resort to plugging the board into the electrical power of the oven and gently flexing the circuit board in different areas while checking for the problem character to light up. I used this method to localize where the problem joint was. I then used my finger to move individual component leads to find the particular joint that was defective (it turned out to be an IC lead). I re-flowed that solder joint and the display now functions as it should. I've reduced my rating to 3 stars as I have lost a bit of confidence in the product.

Extreme Max UNIPLW50 UniPlow One-Box ATV Plow
Extreme Max UNIPLW50 UniPlow One-Box ATV Plow
Price: $354.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Plow, Highly recommended, March 9, 2014
I bought this plow for a 1990 Honda TRX300FW ATV. Since my ATV wasn't listed on their compatibility chart, I contacted Extreme Max customer support via their web site to inquire about compatibility. Their response was prompt and included a paper template that could be printed out and used to determine if the mounting hardware would work with my ATV. After using the template, I was reasonably confident that the plow would work, or at the most require minimal customization.

I installed the plow in my brothers garage with my brother and a couple of other guys and I can say that everyones first impression upon un-boxing was that this is a pretty heavy duty set-up. We all work in the steel fabrication industry in some form or another and we were all impressed with the quality of materials used.

Assembly was straight forward with a well written set of instructions and illustrations. I couldn't ask for a better set of installation / assembly instructions. After laying out the parts, the plow was assembled in about an hour. I worked on the push tube assembly while my buddy worked on the blade assembly and then we attached the two.

Fitting the mounting plate to the ATV seemed like the most time consuming part only because I had to locate and drill (2) holes and cut (2) notches in the skid plate for the U-bolts to pass through. I could have un-bolted and removed the skid plate, and assembling would have taken about 5 minutes, but instead we spent about a half hour on attaching the mounting plate to the bottom of the ATV. We stood the ATV up on its rear end much like one of the photos above to make it more accessible and easier to work on. The mounting plate attaches only about 6" in front of where a true "mid-mount" plow setup would attach, and it still uses the horizontal frame rails so there is much less risk of bending anything during plowing than there is if you're using a front mount setup.

Attachment of the plow unit to the mount really couldn't be easier. Line up the holes, slide in (2) pins, and clip your winch hook to the attachment point and your done. Literally takes under a minute to attach and detach the plow.

Honestly, based on the prices of other plow systems were you have to buy the mount, the push tubes, and the blade separately, I can't believe that this Uni-Plow system is not priced higher. I kinda feel like I'm lucky that I bought now before they realize that they're way under-charging for this unit.

I highly recommend this plow setup, especially for the '88-'92 Honda TRX300 owners out there who can't find a direct fit plow system for their ATV's. This Uni-Plow system is, for all intents and purposes, a direct fit.

WARN 28878 ATV Winch Mounting System
WARN 28878 ATV Winch Mounting System
Offered by Rocky Point Motorsports
Price: $88.31

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a direct fit!!!, March 9, 2014
This winch mounting plate is intended for 1990 - 1992 Honda TRX300 ATV's. I own a 1990 Honda TRX300 and, while this mount does fit, the mounting hardware was not suitable for the application. I had to add some custom U-shaped spacers or else the mount would not have clamped tightly to the frame and the plate would have rattled during operation. Two of the six U-clamps [(2) 3/4" & (4) 1"] were not sized correctly. Instead of (4) 1" U-clamps, there should be (2) 1" and (2) 7/8" U-clamps. Alternatively, if the supplied hardware (bolts) had been fully threaded, they may have been able to close the U-clamps enough to tighten it around the significantly smaller frame tube.

I bought this mount in order to mount a Superwinch (1120210 LT2000) but the available mounting holes did not match the hole locations on the Superwinch. This being a Warn mount, I can understand that they wouldn't be concerned with making if fit other brands of winch, but I though it was a point worth noting in this review as it did require further modification of the mounting plate.

Unfortunately, for us 1990-1992 TRX300 owners, this may be the only option for a winch mount aside from a complete custom set-up, so I guess it's better than nothing.

Siren Whistles
Siren Whistles
Offered by Century Novelty
Price: $2.49
2 used & new from $2.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Siren Whistles (Toy)
The product photo shows (4) whistles, but you are only buying (1)! The description does refer to the siren whistle in the singular form, however it also states "assorted colors" which implies multiple pieces of differing colors (much like the product photo would have you believe). Though I am generally quite pleased with Amazon (I am a Prime member and purchase many products with confidence from the amazon.com website), this is clearly a deceptive tactic that has me disappointed. Had I known I was paying $4 for a single whistle, I would have went with the 24-pack for $12 instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2013 5:06 AM PDT

Traxxas 3350X Velineon Brushless Power System Waterproof
Traxxas 3350X Velineon Brushless Power System Waterproof
Offered by HOBBYTOWN
Price: $189.22
7 used & new from $168.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Out-friggen-standing!!!, November 9, 2011
I can't remember being so giddy over an upgrade since I went from a 32" CRT TV to a 55" LED Samsung last year... and before that, maybe when I got my first new car! This motor / ESC combo is simply OUTSTANDING! I write a lot of 5 star reviews, but if this is a 5 star item, then all the rest should be 4 stars.

I bought this as an upgrade to an old Traxxas Rustler XL-5 that I took on trade. The motor and ESC that were on it when I got it made the truck fun, but this upgrade literally re-defines the word fun. The reason that I upgraded was so that I could use the 3S Li-Po batteries that I already own (for my R/C Heli) on this truck, while at the same time giving me more run time, and a faster car. I chose this product because it's made by Traxxas so I knew it would drop right into my Rustler. Also, a previous reviewer mentioned the lifetime warranty and with that I was sold.

This motor / ESC combo is really nice in that it adds a lot of flexibility with regard to battery selection. You can use your old NiCd or NiMH batteries for a more mild run, or step up to 2S or 3S Li-Po batteries and create an absolute animal! I get a solid 30 minutes of run time out of (1) 2200 MaH 3S Lipo battery, and that's with some serious high speed stop-n-go driving. The feature set on the ESC allows for 3 different driving modes; beginner, sport, and race. It also has a built in low-voltage cut-off that can be turned on or off depending on if you're using Li-Po batteries or not. Running this setup with a 3S Li-Po on sport mode at top speed down my dirt road is more akin to driving a hydroplane boat skimming across the water than it is to driving a car. I actually installed an old gyro (I had one laying around from my heli) on the steering servo to make the the car more controllable at high speeds. In grass, or on dry pavement, the front wheels can be lifted on-demand.

If you're doing the same thing that I did (upgrading an XL-5) you REALLY need to upgrade the transmission (get all metal gears), and switch out the axle carriers to ones that have sealed ball bearings (if you don't already have those). If you don't make these changes before installing this upgrade, then you should plan on doing it shortly after. Another thing you'll have to do is GLUE YOUR TIRES!!! I still haven't done this part, and I have to stop every few minutes to put the rubber back on the rims.

To wrap this up, and if it isn't obvious already, if you're thinking about buying this product but you're not sure...JUST BUY IT, you won't regret it!!! Also, don't buy the $30 - $50 batteries. Do a google search for "Zippy Flightmax 2200mah 3S 1P 20C" and buy 4 or 5 of these for $9/ea (that's what I use). You'll have to put a Traxxas style connector on it before you use it, but you'll have a whole lot more fun for the same price.

Casio fx-300MS Scientific Calculator
Casio fx-300MS Scientific Calculator
Price: $8.98
178 used & new from $3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars This is my first Casio, and I miss my TI, November 9, 2011
This calculator is very average, however I really like the 2-line display that allows me to see the calculations as well as the results of those calculations. I also like that I can go back and edit the previous calculation (or several calculations) if I find that I made a mistake.

There are a couple of things that really bother me about this calculator though. First, I hate that there is a button that is dedicated to the "ON" function. And since the "ON" works exactly like the "AC" button after the calculator is turned on, why not just make the "AC" button a dual purpose "ON/AC" button. Better yet, why not make any button turn the calculator on when pressed?

The second thing I don't like, and the main reason that I miss my TI, is that it takes two key presses to input some of the functions that I feel should have their own keys, namely the pi function (shift-pi), and the "OFF" function (shift-off). I suppose this is my own fault though as I should have studied the keypad layout a bit better before making this purchase. Tapping two keys to turn the calculator off doesn't bother me too much because, since this calculator is battery / solar powered, I usually just let it turn of by itself after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Another thing to note is that the plastic that the casing is made out of is VERY EASILY scratched, even by its own cover. The first time I slid the calculator out of it's cover and slid the cover onto the back, I missed the grooves and the cover put a couple of long scratches all the way up the back.

In summary, maybe this calculator isn't best suited to my needs, but it works well and has some convenient features as well as some annoying ones. Next time I'll be more careful in selecting the right calculator for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4