Profile for Michael C. Ruppert > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael C. Ruppert RSS Feed

Warrior of the Light: A Manual
Warrior of the Light: A Manual
by Paulo Coelho
Price: $8.69
103 used & new from $3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars From Old Age Looking Back, August 15, 2013
There are "knowings" that have guided my life, fundamental essences that never made complete sense until O looked back upon my life and in this book discovered a memoir.

A Man Among the Helpers
A Man Among the Helpers
by Russ Reina
Price: $14.62
28 used & new from $14.46

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bridge to a New and True Reality, May 15, 2013
Mother Earth and all who live here are experiencing the "end of reality" as we know it. Beyond that lies a deeper and truer reality. It is the one that all indigenous, Earth-based traditions -- despite of many centuries of ruthless persecution -- have heroically and humbly preserved. In recent decades we have witnessed great willingness on the part of indigenous, first peoples to share and to teach the Wasichu, the white man. Now, instead of hiding these truths and tools for living in order to save them, indigenous peoples are offering them openly as a means of saving life and human existence in a collapsing world.

Do not let Sal's Italian name fool you. He is of indigenous blood and he has lived almost his entire life in training to be a medicine man, a Yuwipi man, a healer... one who lives to help all life. (The lesson being that if we help all life, all life will help us.) More, Sal's training has been with a legendary Lakota medicine family, The Godfrey Chipps Family. When Sal Gencarelle speaks, he speaks with an authority which is sweeter because of the beatific humility with which he speaks.

My name carries a little weight in the world. Through my own long journey I have been looking for answers and there are those who now call me "teacher" or "uncle". What "A Man Among the Helpers" tells me is that I have been asking the right questions.

Put this book on the shelf next to "Lame Deer: Seeker of Visions" and "Black Elk Speaks". There was great love invested in putting these lessons into words.

The Moron's Guide to Global Collapse
The Moron's Guide to Global Collapse
by Jenna Orkin
Price: $10.80
22 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity and Humor Free From Wishful Thinking, March 23, 2013
Full disclosure: I have known and worked with Jenna Orkin for eight years on and off, sometimes closely, so I am not unbiased. But what makes this book so compelling is Orkin's uber-dry NY sense of humor and wit, coupled with a highly-educated and polished intellect that can be breathtaking in its clarity. Those who criticize from disconnected places and old, sacred-cow think are as credible to me as Ben Bernanke arguing that printing more debt will instantly provide all the natural resources we need on a finite planet, or Barack Obama assuring us all that the economic crisis is over... Or that fracking is safe... Or that nuclear power is clean... Or that climate change is a myth... Or that buying a Prius and composting you garbage is a courageous way to make a difference...

Jenna Orkin not only gets it, she paints a clear, acerbic, witty and well-founded "postcard from the edge" of the world we live in today. I'd label this book as a bucket of humorous cold water in your face that might be good prep for the days when that's all you'll have to bathe with. But then again there's a lot of people in New York and NJ living on a new coastline who still haven't got even that back after Hurricane Sandy. There are also people in Europe waiting for the Euro to make sense and in China who are eager to see a blue sky again. If all of this is new to you, this is a great place to start in a short, easy, very- entertaining read.

Sacred Demise: Walking the Spiritual Path of Industrial Civilization's Collapse
Sacred Demise: Walking the Spiritual Path of Industrial Civilization's Collapse
by Carolyn Baker
Price: $23.36
40 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most-Needed Work, May 24, 2009
In the rare instances where I come across a book that is a feast for the mind and soul I wrestle with it as with a lover. Pages get dog-eared, the pen comes out and notes appear all over. Great passages are underlined. There are coffee and wine stains. This marks my affair with a great book. "Sacred Demise" is the first such book I have read in many years. In spite of the profoundly disturbing topic: the collapse of industrial civilization and possible extinction of the human race; it is a book which has left me feeling joyful, hopeful, humorous and deeply comforted. It has made me love more completely and - in that process - has allowed me to be more alive in this present moment.

This isn't a mass-consumption book nor should it be. My life and experience have taught me that few humans have evolved or are aware enough to even grasp its significance. The book is like a great sacred text from antiquity that makes us love our forbears and take comfort in our connectedness to them. If intelligent life is able to find "Sacred Demise" in two or three millennia I can see it being revered as a great testament to what our potential as a species might have been... or might yet become.

"Sacred Demise" is an incredible how-to, first-aid, healing map and manual of how one can navigate an aware psyche through the emotional and spiritual challenges of collapse - to find and to give love, comfort and even great joy in the midst of pain, despair and death. It teaches and reminds us that death is not a bad word but a "parenthesis in eternity" as Joel Goldsmith wrote. I know of no one who has had the courage to address these crying needs in detail and Baker is uniquely qualified to do it. Every ounce of her heart, mind and soul were committed to this book's writing and that is clearly evident throughout. This book is an act of love. I am no different than any human in that I respond instantly and involuntarily when I see that someone has the courage to place a naked heart in front of my eyes. It reminds me that we are never stronger than when we are most vulnerable.

The book's genesis comes from Baker's clear statement that, "while many individuals will be able to physically navigate collapse, some will not be able to do so emotionally". I consider the book to be profoundly spiritual, although others may approach it as a psychological or cultural text that finally and beautifully addresses what I have seen as a crying need to deal with the emotions that collapse surfaces. Emotions ignored always return to bite us on the behind. They sap rather than enhance our strength. "Sacred Demise" is an emotional and spiritual guide for the treatment of those of us who understand what collapse means and by which we can give comfort, aid, assistance and great strength to ourselves and to those we love.

As Baker points out consistently - while fearlessly acknowledging that civilization and the species may become extinct soon - here is a pathway to choose not only which physical parts or our lives may endure, but what core values survive the transition and die-off. She reminds us that to be truly effective, "we must come to grips with our own mortality."

I have known Baker for many years. We have worked closely together and shared many painful "initiations". I am not at all surprised that she cites many spiritual books that I have long treasured and also delves deeply into Native-American spirituality for its close connection to a planet that "civilization" has cut us off from. Nor am I surprised that we have both arrived at exactly the same conclusions. What I am surprised at is Baker's Herculean research, her incredible depth and her broad, multi-discipline and multi-cultural approach. She does not confuse the reader, she refreshingly reminds us that truth and knowledge based upon harmony and balance with all life are universal truths once liberated from artificial labels and knee-jerk induced intellectual door slamming.

The book's greatest use will be in guiding and comforting those of us who are "hospice" workers for industrial civilization. Having written on the subject of collapse for almost a decade I have longed for something that would comfort me and the great many who have labored to awaken mass consciousness to the gravity of the current crisis. As on a battlefield one inevitably asks, who or what will care for the caregivers? This is that book.

Michael C. Ruppert

[Author: "Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil" and "A Presidential Energy Policy: Twenty-five points Addressing the Siamese Twins of Energy and Money"]
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2014 4:18 PM PDT

The Shell Game
The Shell Game
by Steve Alten
Price: $20.28
137 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Frightening Book of the Decade - Genius!, January 24, 2008
This review is from: The Shell Game (Hardcover)
Steve Alten clearly states that many of the factual threads running throughout "The Shell Game" were based upon the extensive research found in my book, "Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil". I actually didn't know about Shell Game until after it had been written, when Steve offered to send me a review copy. I am so glad he did.

My book is 600 pages of non-fiction with a thousand footnotes. It is in the Harvard Business School Library.

Steve's book is a gripping, fire-breathing, page-turning novel that the great Robert Ludlum would envy. Both books convey exactly the same message: that the world is running out of oil fast; that human civilization hangs in the balance; and that the US government used this crisis as a rationale for perpetrating the attacks of 9-11 and (very likely) attacks yet to come.

Why? The American people would never allow their sons and daughters to be used and sacrificed as bloody oil conquistadors unless we could call ourselves victims.-- We are victims, but not that kind.

Steve's absolute genius is in his ability to make the unpalatable irresistible. It lies also in his ability to separate research "ice cream" from research "bs". "Children", hucksters and some with more sinister motives have hijacked the so-called 9-11 "truth movement." That clear thinking is what makes "The Shell Game" slice through consciousness and reach the soul like a hot scalpel through butter. Steve takes us into a terrifying future as though he were reading a military GPS locator.

"The Shell Game" is a novel and a ticking time bomb for the psyche. It is the red pill from "The Matrix". Steve has brilliantly created a masterpiece that is going to rock the planet while entertaining and teaching millions at the same time. I applaud both his genius and also what I see as his divine inspiration.

-- Michael C. Ruppert
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2011 7:59 PM PDT