ARRAY(0x9d8410c0)

Customer Reviews: 67

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason L. Mcdonald RSS Feed (Fremont, CA 94536)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Tyranny of the Weak: North Korea and the World, 1950-1992 (Studies of the Weatherhead East Asian Institute, Columbia University)
by Charles K. Armstrong
Price: $29.12
51 used & new from $23.11

5.0 out of 5 stars In-Depth Historical Analysis of North Korea, February 5, 2014
I am fascinated by the Koreas - both North and South. A divided country, with a South Korea now a mini superpower in the economics of the world, and a North Korea a rogue state with nuclear weapons. How did this happen? What brought the Koreas and the world to this strange juncture?

History, of course, history. Armstrong is an academic, and yet this is a very readable, engaging book that is at once both a history of North Korea and a conceptual framework of how a "weak" state has been able to "wag the dogs," namely the United States, the Soviet Union, and China (and to some extent South Korea).

Unfortunately, because of Armstrong's historical analysis, "everything makes sense." By reading this book you'll understand that there is a "method" to the "madness" of North Korea, and that as a tyranny it "makes sense" for the regime to starve its own people, arm itself with nuclear weapons, and fuse Stalinist totalitarianism with the Korean respect for family.

A great read and I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to understand North Korea.

PS - I purchased the physical book, so I can't speak to the technical issues of the Kindle. I don't think one should give a book a "one star" review because of technical problems that are clearly beyond the control of the author.

Altec Lansing IML227 Orbit USB Lite Speaker for Laptops and Netbooks
Altec Lansing IML227 Orbit USB Lite Speaker for Laptops and Netbooks
Offered by Green Shopping
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! A small speaker with near studio-quality sound., January 19, 2014
OK so its not studio quality sound in reality. But it's really really great sound for the size of this speaker, and the cost. Plus it's USB, so I just plugged it in and it worked instantly with my Windows laptop. It's loud enough to use in a small meeting of 5-7 people, so that everyone can hear an audio / video presentation. Great value.

Ultimate Guide to Link Building: How to Build Backlinks, Authority and Credibility for Your Website, and Increase Click Traffic and Search Ranking (Ultimate Series)
by Eric Ward
Price: $15.24
67 used & new from $12.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Book on an Important Topic, January 19, 2014
Link building is the most important yet hardest part of SEO (Search Engine Optimizations). The authors have done a great service by publishing a "how to" book on link building. While not easy, this is a critical part of successful SEO. I highly recommend this book to all my students, especially those who have mastered the basics of "on page" SEO and gotten the "easy" links.

Work Smarter with LinkedIn
Work Smarter with LinkedIn
Price: $3.03

4.0 out of 5 stars The Less is More Theory of LinkedIn, June 28, 2013
Alexandra Samuel has written a clear and concise essay on how to use LinkedIn. The main idea is as follows:

"This book suggests that you accept only LinkedIn connections that pass the favor test: people for whom you would do a favor, or of whom you would ask a favor."

What she means is to use LinkedIn primarily as a virtual roladex through which you connect to your 1st and 2nd degree LinkedIn connections, much as you do in real life. People whom you truly know (who will do you a favor), and people for whom you know at least enough to be willing to do them a favor. This contrasts with how many other authors present LinkedIn and how LinkedIn presents itself: they want you to gain as many connections as possible, be as busy as possible posting status updates, InMail and connection requests. It also contrasts with the idea of only connecting on LinkedIn with people you actually know. LinkedIn, she correctly points out, is really a social network about favors.

Quality, she argues, over quantity.

Why the Difference? What is Your Purpose on LinkedIn?

Different people have different purposes on LinkedIn, and you are best served if you identify what your own purposes are on LinkedIn. Some people (like myself) are teachers, speakers, educators - we touch many thousands of people, and in turn, might want to "use" those people (if I can be so crude) to do things like promote our books or workshops. For us, more connections is a good thing; and we are really using LinkedIn in broadcast mode. Others, like salespeople, also want a broad network yet still retain the ability to identify who they really know, because salespeople are seeking to use one connection to make a connection to another. For example, a salesperson can use a LinkedIn 1st connection in Boston to get an introduction to a LinkedIn 2nd connection in Boston who works in their industry, so that the #2 connection will be informed of a workshop or presentation at a trade show.

Still others, especially corporations, are using LinkedIn as a way to connect with customers in a serious way. Here LinkedIn is becoming the "serious" Facebook, and is a great new tool for companies in serious industries like technology, health care, environment and other more B2B / professional than the consumer company focus that dominates Facebook.

But for many, many others, less is definitely more. If you are "giving out favors," for example, you are an important CEO or Venture Capitalist you might want to guard your contacts closely and use LinkedIn really in a very focused sense - to reach out in a very laser focused way to people with whom you have an intense relationship or intensely shared purpose.

The book would have benefited from a chapter about your "purpose on LinkedIn" before you get to its really good distinction: are you a "matchmaker" or a "fairy godmother?" What is your purpose on LinkedIn? Why will you invest your time and money in using this social network? Define that first, and then read this book - you'll be in good shape. Finally, get yourself a how to book or use LinkedIn's help functions and you'll really be using LinkedIn on steroids.

Who Should Buy This Book

This book is NOT a how to manual on LinkedIn! Rather it is written more in the style of Amazon's "Kindle Singles." It takes one idea - "Less is More" - and discusses how thinking differently about LinkedIn might produce better results than the more common idea "More is more." It's a book about the strategy of using LinkedIn not so much the practice. Judged in that way, it's very good.

Blue Microphones Snowball USB Microphone (Brushed Aluminum)
Blue Microphones Snowball USB Microphone (Brushed Aluminum)
Price: Click here to see our price
79 used & new from $42.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The Microphone I Have Been Waiting for All My Life, May 27, 2013
You know how they say... You're the ONE. The ONE I have been waiting for my whole life? The ONE that God, or the divine being, or the Universe made for me when I was still in the womb. Yes, you know. Romantic love. Romeo and Juliet, Beauty and the Beast, soul mates. Plato's co-mingling parts one made for the other yet separated... until that moment when music starts to rise in your heart, beaches succumb to pounding surf and somewhere just somewhere on the other side of from HERE TO ETERNITY you find:

The BLUE MICROPHONE SNOWBALL

And you've found IT. The ONE the KEANU Reeves of the Matrix that will rescue you from the no good horrible rotten hundreds of other crap microphones that have driven you insane.

THE BLUE MICROPHONE SNOWBALL with

* Easy USB port
* Instant installation
* Clear, quality sound

Yes, it's the one. Yes, I love this microphone. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. BUY this microphone if you dare.

You'll love it.

Oh and one weird thing. You can plug the USB backwards into the microphone and it won't work. I would work on that as a metaphor but I ain't gonna go there people just ain't.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to LinkedIN
The Complete Idiot's Guide to LinkedIN
by Susan M. Gunelius
14 used & new from $7.41

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best LinkedIn Book, by a Long Shot, May 8, 2013
I recently read three books on LinkedIn to brush up my LinkedIn skills for a few corporate clients. As I teach social media marketing, I feel you can never 'stop learning.'

Of the three LinkedIn books reviewed, this one is the worst of the bunch. It doesn't have strong technical details, especially screenshots like Scott's book, for example, nor does it have many insider tips and secrets like von Rosen's book. So it's neither fish nor fowl, in my view. And like the other two books it is lacking in the 'strategy' part of LinkedIn. All of these books assume -

* That you know LinkedIn is definitely for you (vs. say Facebook or Google+).
* That you know why you are on LinkedIn and have a strategic plan.

Click on my Amazon profile for the other two books, I reviewed. Or just Google 'Jason McDonald' to find me and my blog. Happy to help.

LinkedIn Marketing: An Hour a Day
LinkedIn Marketing: An Hour a Day
by Viveka von Rosen
Price: $21.48
68 used & new from $16.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Best LinkedIn Book of the Bunch, May 8, 2013
I recently read three books on LinkedIn to brush up on LinkedIn skills for a couple corporate clients. You can always learn something - that' s my motto!

This is the best book on LinkedIn of the bunch. Viveka Rosen is clearly a 'guru' of LinkedIn, and she really loves LinkedIn - that comes through loud and clear. She also has good pointers to buried resources you might not find otherwise. It has a lot of great technical information, but like Scott, she gets lost in the technical details without giving you a big picture or structural map. None of the books situates LinkedIn in the context of all social media marketing, and while LinkedIn is great for some companies, it is not that relevant for others.

All of the books would be helped if that had an initial section on 'social media marketing' in general, and helped businesses and individuals to figure out if LinkedIn matches their marketing objectives before they dive in!

In terms of Viveka von Rosen, in particular, she is so incredibly important and famous on LinkedIn that I felt that at times she lost focus on the 'little people' who won't have her clout or importance. So the good news is she is a LinkedIn guru, and that's the bad news as well (isn't that so often the case?).

(You can find out more about me by clicking on my Amazon profile; or just Google 'Jason McDonald,' as I am No. 1 for my name).

The Complete Guide to Using LinkedIn to Promote Your Business or Yourself
The Complete Guide to Using LinkedIn to Promote Your Business or Yourself
by Gini Graham Scott Ph.D.
Price: $17.99
19 used & new from $15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Published in 2011 But Still Useful, May 8, 2013
I recently read three books on LinkedIn to brush up my LinkedIn social media marketing skills for several corporate trainings. You always learn something new is my opinion!

Among the three books I read, this book is perhaps the most technically oriented. It has many good tips, such as using your profile headline as an 'ad headline' for yourself vs. using it as your last job title, and it has some good screenshots. Like all of the book authors, however, Gina Scott pretty much leaves you to your own devices to figure out why you are on LinkedIn in terms of marketing. So this book is very strong about tactics, and weak about strategy.

Like all printed books, a book can get out-of-date quickly and this book was published in 2011. It's still useful, however!

(If you want to know more about me just click on my Amazon profile, or Google 'Jason McDonald' (I'm No. 1 for my name).

Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition
Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition
Price: Click here to see our price
110 used & new from $78.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Clearly a NICE Company but Mic Not Good for YouTube, January 5, 2013
Clearly, this is an amazing product for certain types of uses. I think if you were recording a band, or a group of people in a room it would be great.

I am a big YouTuber and am constantly struggling with sound. I hoped that this would allow a "hands free" recording when I do webcam intro's for my YouTube channel on SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for small businesses. (Click on my profile if that interests you).

But the sound was terrible, and there was no easy way to a) adjust the volume, or b) reduce the background distortion. I tried everything, as I really wanted this to work.

In the end, ironically, I am back to using a very cheap mic (about $2.95) that clips on. The mic has to be very close to my mouth, and I get very good sound quality. But it's a pain because I am tethered to the computer and you have to weave the wire up your shirt.

So a) if you are looking for a good podcast mic, this is NOT it. b) if you are looking to record your band or a group, it might be a good one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2013 10:51 PM PDT

(1) Prime Line Automatic Door Closer in WHITE
(1) Prime Line Automatic Door Closer in WHITE
Offered by Home Hardware Solutions
Price: $16.75
4 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Easy, It Just Works, December 29, 2012
Like many of the other reviewers, I have a door that constantly gets opened by my family... and then I have to yell at them: PLEASE CLOSE THE DOOR. After several years of this, I realized, hey my family is NOT going to learn. They will not change. What did I learn in therapy? You can only change yourself.

OFF TO AMAZON

So off I want to my therapist - Amazon.com - and realized that other people (for some reason, mainly men it seems), have had this problem (especially with basement doors), and voila - I found the 'Prime Line C11 Door Closer.' I ordered it, and a few days later it arrived.

INSTALLATION

I hate installing stuff, I really really hate it. I am excellent with computers, home networking, Wi-Fi, SEO, Social Media, blogging, anything and everything computer. But... to assemble something? Yee gads! No!

With trepidation, I opened the instructions. They were not particularly easy, but I was able to follow them and with just a few screws installed the door. Then I had to figure out how to tighten it, and set it.

IT WORKED

Then, magically, it actually just worked! My family, my marriage, my relationship with my kids is now SAVED - no more yelling: PLEASE close the door!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2013 10:05 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7