Profile for Brandon Lopez > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brandon Lopez RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Far Cry 3 - Playstation 3
Far Cry 3 - Playstation 3
Price: $18.15
133 used & new from $10.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but lacking in story, characters and fun, September 19, 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This game is not bad. That said, I don't have enough time for middling to good games. If I watch an ok movie, I've lost an hour and a half of my life; but if I play an ok game I just wasted hours and hours of my time to be mildly amused. That's just not acceptable.

I'm only reviewing the story mode, and I didn't play too far in. Thankfully, I read a spoiler review. I'm so glad I didn't stick around until the end!

First off, the game play is fine. It's a first person shooter, end of story. Everything works, and the controls are fairly easy, but nothing about the game every makes it rise above "Fine." More annoyingly, it feels like an open world, but if you veer to far off the beaten track you are warned that you are wandering too far and your mission will be considered a failure. So clearly not an open world, despite it being built that way. So in order to complete your missions you must go to the marked spot on the map, which shows up as a glowing dot. I knew I was in trouble when I had finally resigned my self to mindlessly following the glowing dot from mission to mission, in hopes of getting a pat on the head from the game.

Secondly, the writing is bad. The characters are boring and way too broad. In trying to give us an "every man" character that we can all love, the writers ended up giving us a nobody character. Too bland and shallow for anyone to even care. Not a big problem if the gameplay is amazing(see first paragraph). If you want to go even further, the whole mindset of the game and characters is too simplistic. I often felt the game had been written by someone who had never left their own back yard, yet was trying to depict a war torn island. Everyone on the island is a weird characture, no one feels believable or interesting. Not your wise, smooth talking guide, who will lead you to bond with nature and to kill, nor the "happy" native population of dark skinned models in cut-off jeans.

All-in-all, this game had a lot of potential, but fell short in every aspect. Sorry Far Cry.

LimoStudio Full Spectrum Lighting Bulb 85W Photography Photo CFL 6500K, 4 Bulbs, daylight pure white, AGG120
Offered by KimOutlet
Price: $40.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light for video or film., August 9, 2013
I use this light for video, especially when trying to simulate sun. It is VERY "blue/natural" at 6500k. I mainly use a very similar light for video which is slightly less blue, the "Square Perfect 85 Watt" bulb which is the same size as this light but rated at 5500k. Both work very well and last a long time. Be aware that these bulbs are comically large. About 2.5x as tall as your normal CFls.

Square Perfect 3077 S Professional Quality 85-Watt Compact Fluorescent Full Spectrum Photo Bulb
Offered by Discount Tommy
Price: $15.88
8 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light for video/film, August 9, 2013
These are great, inexpensive lights for photography and film. If you just can't afford a kino, then this is you very cheap alternative. It puts out a good amount of light and the color temperature is very close to daylight. Be earned they are very big. Comically big. About 2.5x as tall as a regular CFLs. I'm very happy with this soft, daylight-balanced light and will keep using it until my shooting budgets get bigger!

CowboyStudio Set of Two 7 feet Photography Light Stands with Cases
CowboyStudio Set of Two 7 feet Photography Light Stands with Cases
Price: $26.91
7 used & new from $19.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Photography/film, August 9, 2013
I have about 6 of these stands and use them for photography and video. They do the job, so long as the lights are not too heavy. What more can you ask for. I did use it once as a stand for a slider(dolly-slider to be exact). NOT recommended for things like that. They're just too flimsy and made the slider shots very bumpy. You get what you pay for, and for what you get, you can't beat the price!

Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 45 watt Compact Fluorescent CFL - Pack of 4 - 5500K- 120V - ALZO Joyous Light daylight pure white light
Offered by ALZO Digital
Price: $41.32
2 used & new from $40.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice light BUT LOUD, January 18, 2012
This provide an excellent quality light but beware, they are LOUD. They produce an audible humming noise like an old fluorescent tube light. That might be fine for use in a garage or still photography, if you plan to use these for video shooting chances are you will pick up the buzzing on the mic. I also bought the Square perfect 85w CFL bulb and they provide the same beautiful daylight balanced bulb (5500k) with virtually no sound.

iSymphony LC32iH56 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV (Black)
iSymphony LC32iH56 32-Inch 720p LCD HDTV (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV, but stand doesn't fit, December 30, 2010
I just got this TV yesterday, the picture quality is good, and the sound is not bad for a budget TV. All-in-all I would have been very happy with this model, except the stand won't attach to the bottom of the TV. Somehow, the screws just won't latch onto anything making an otherwise good TV unusable. Looking at the reviews I see other people have had similar problems. I wonder if the people who are happy with this TV had the same problem or if a large number of these models are defective. Either way, the sad truth is a perfectly good TV is being returned because of a non-functional, cheap, plastic base. Sad.

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection (Star Trek I, II, III, IV, V, VI + The Captain's Summit Bonus Disc) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ William Shatner
Offered by American_Standard
Price: $38.99
91 used & new from $22.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't dump to disk, May 14, 2009
I'm rating this one start because I hate when studios don't spend the time and money for a proper release. Star Trek is one of those franchises that has been especially abused on DVD. Releasing a blu-ray set with only one one of the films actually in high definition is disgraceful. Give the fans some respect and put the time and effort into quality products!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2009 1:07 PM PDT

Canon Powershot S60 5MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Optical Zoom
Canon Powershot S60 5MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Optical Zoom
4 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Camera, January 3, 2006
Even though I'm not a professional photographer, working in the film industry has made photography a very serious hobby of mine. I originally bought the Canon S50, which I was very happy with. However a defective part led me to send my camera back to Canon, who replaced it with the S60 over a year ago. This is a wonderful camera for people who are serious about photography but not yet ready to purchase a digital SLR. It takes great images with a very respectable mega pixel rate. What I love about this camera is you have the option of manually controlling every aspect of your shot when it really counts (shutter speed, focus, F-stop, etc.), or if your at a party, set it to auto and it becomes a point-and-shoot, easy enough for even your most inebriated friend to take snapshots. The best of both worlds! A good, near professional quality, camera at a good price.

Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance
Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out of Balance
DVD ~ Philip Glass
Offered by Flix4U
Price: $34.99
69 used & new from $4.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, April 30, 2004
This movie is amazing. It's not for everybody or for everyday viewing, but it is truly an experience. In life, there always seem to be those moments when the clouds look just perfect, or the sky, the horizon, the mountains, something around you looks more alive then you've ever noticed before. Even though, at that moment, you fumble around with you camera trying to save the beauty you see for posterity; the pictures never come out looking like you remembered. Somehow, this film managed to catch all of those moments and I am forever grateful.