Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Sif > Reviews

Browse

Sif's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sif RSS Feed (Australia)

Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom
Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom
by Rachel Pollack
50 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tarot book ever, November 28, 2004
This is the best book on tarot I've ever read. Its only limitation is that it solely discusses Rider Waite and RW based decks, but this isn't enough to detract from the 5 star rating.

I think it's a great book for beginners - it's just not a book you can flick through and get easy meanings from while doing a reading. But it's the book that has taught me the most about tarot, mostly because of the way Pollack explains the conclusions she draws. She goes deeply into the symbolism and background of each card in a way that stays with you for a long time. It's a fabulous, fabulous book.

Prodigal Summer: A Novel
Prodigal Summer: A Novel
by Barbara Kingsolver
Price: $10.41
578 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, beautiful, wonderous, November 1, 2004
When someone asks me to pick a favourite book, this is generally the one I choose. It's an utterly beautiful story, rooted deeply in ecological and environmental thought, with beautifully developed characters. Kingsolver's depictions of the natural world are wonderfully real. I pick this up almost every year and re-read it, getting deeply involved with the characters once more, and always inspired to be more present and concerned with the world around me.

The one very small issue I have with this book is sometimes it tries to educate the reader a tiny bit too much. However, this isn't at the expense of the story.

All in all, a wonderful story that always stays with me. Gorgeous.

Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
by David Allen
588 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent organisation system, November 1, 2004
Yes, the book does have someone grinning smarmily on the cover, which normally puts me right off, but it also contains an excellent organisation system, which I loved.

There were parts of the system I found far too detailed, and parts of the book were completely unnecessary for me, so I'm glad I borrowed it from the library rather than buying it. After sticking loosely to the system for a couple of months, I like being able to go to my folders and being able to grab whatever I'm looking for quickly, rather than sorting through a million piles to try and find where I've put it.

He has a pleasant, clean writing style, which is easy to read, and I think his ideas about how our minds process data are extremely interesting and accurate. Overall, reading the book and putting into use some of his ideas have vastly improved my organisation of papers, and the general cleanliness of my study. However, the book isn't brilliant or ground breaking, just common sense, so it doesn't get a life-changing 5 stars.