Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for John T. Cullen > Reviews

Browse

John T. Cullen's Profile

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John T. Cullen "Author Fiction & Nonfiction" RSS Feed (San Diego, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Raven's Pool
The Raven's Pool
by Deborah Cannon
Price: $18.27
19 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars As intriguing as its mysterious title, October 6, 2008
This review is from: The Raven's Pool (Paperback)
I enjoyed D. L. Cannon's novel (first in a trilogy) very much. She has a remarkable grasp of Native American history and mythology. The Haida and Samish cults of the raven, eagle, and salmon are brilliantly intertwined in a modern-day story of romance, mystery, crime, and intrigue. I can't wait to read the next book and the last to see how she carries the suspense and characterization over into a more global context.

Blade Runner (Five-Disc Complete Collector's Edition) [HD DVD]
Blade Runner (Five-Disc Complete Collector's Edition) [HD DVD]
DVD ~ Harrison Ford
13 used & new from $4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Movie of All Time, November 29, 2007
This movie captures the best of 'sense of wonder' in science fiction tradition. A perfect, self-contained gem with so many wonderful facets. The Faustian, Frankenstein theme of the replicants coming to meet their maker--and killing him...the idea of Pris kicking with zest even as she dies, and Roy saving Decker out of sheer love of life...the light that burns half as long burns twice as bright (my paraphrase)...just a few of the many precious things in this great work of art.

The Crying of Lot 49
The Crying of Lot 49
by Thomas Pynchon
57 used & new from $2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book of all time, November 29, 2007
This review is from: The Crying of Lot 49 (Paperback)
It's chemistry, that's all. This is the favorite book of my life. I've read all the classics, have a degree in English, write my own novels -- this is the one book I yearn to emulate. I happen to think, also, it's the only really memorable book Pynchon will ever produce. Like F. Scott Fitzgerald's 'The Great Gatsby,' it is short, tight, and focused. Its bigger sibling, 'V', is an unfocused meander. Gravity's Rainbow is the one other candidate for lasting fame, I think. Yoyodyne is an underground trope, as I have learned, and that's straight out of TCOL49. So why? I'm not sure, but I know I feel about this book the way I feel about my wife -in love for life. What surprises me most is that nobody has attempted to make a movie of it, and that's probably good since it would most likely be a horrible botch. Maybe Ridley Scott could pull it off (my favorite director, and Blade Runner is my all-time favorite film). And again, it's chemistry. What works for me may not work for you. And that's how the universe is meant to be. I guess maybe if I place my favorite movie, Blade Runner, in the vanguard of Faustian tropes and call it a replay of the Frankenstein theme, I might see Oedipa Maas as a kind of Mesopotamian adventuress in the mold of Gilgamesh, wandering through the terrifying echoic forest of Huwawa, which is the ur-(no pun intended)-adventure of us all. Apres nous, le deluge...anyway, the sailor who transcends the burning bed, or the notional rebirth of dandelions in their wine as the season of their spring flourishes, those are among the many memorable notions from TCOL49. And Oedipa's astonishment at the vast, almost galactic street numbers of California...much to be mined here.

Beautiful Stranger: The Ghost of Kate Morgan and the Hotel del Coronado
Beautiful Stranger: The Ghost of Kate Morgan and the Hotel del Coronado
by Hotel del Coronado Heritage Department
33 used & new from $5.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, thorough, entertainingly written, August 9, 2006
In 1892, a young woman checked into San Diego's finest luxury resort, the Hotel del Coronado. Acting strangely from the first, she increasingly attracted the mystified attention and sympathy of the hotel staff who watched her deteriorate physically and emotionally. Four days later, after the most violent storm in memory, she was found dead on the stairs outside the hotel. Beside her lay a handgun, and in her right temple was a bullet wound. She was never definitively identified, and the reasons for her stay, and her larger concerns, were never established. She remains forever "the Beautiful Stranger" whose ghost haunts the great hotel to this day. Ghostly events involving her are frequent, and often result in a sudden move (a "dead move") by occupants of her room, who are terrorized by flickering lights and curtains blowing when windows are closed, and other phenomena. The Heritage Department of the hotel has done a superb job putting this well-illustrated book together from various official records. I have found this book very useful in putting together an exhaustive scholarly analysis entitled "Dead Move: Kate Morgan and the Haunting Mystery of Coronado" (Clocktower Books, 2008). Because the legend as traditionally received, and my scholarly analysis with over 120 end notes, were both irresistible, I have followed up with a compelling noir thriller based on the best elements of the 1892 true crime story, titled "Lethal Journey" (Clocktower Books 2009). Lethal Journey made the Publishers Weekly fall list for 2009, and earned the author Active Member status with International Thriller Writers.

Derailed
Derailed
by James Siegel
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $23.99
175 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Grabbed me and never let me go, July 18, 2006
This review is from: Derailed (Mass Market Paperback)
Maybe it was the cover, maybe it was the title, maybe the blurb--or all of the above. I have rarely, in recent years, bought a book, eagerly taken it home, read it so avidly (in a one-night sitting), and then felt so satisfied about it the next day. In a distant way, it reminded me of the deception & crisis of conscience in 'Man in the Gray Flannel Suit.' A riveting thriller worth the read.

Nelson's Trafalgar: The Battle That Changed the World
Nelson's Trafalgar: The Battle That Changed the World
by Roy Adkins
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!, August 18, 2005
I'm a big fan of Roy Adkins, having read his books on archaeology--which I treasure on my bookshelves. Adkins magnificently details this historic naval battle between the French and Spanish on the one side and the British on the other. Adkins not only gives a memorable overview of the battle, but he also takes the time to explain various aspects of life at the time on board ship, as well as the reasons leading to the battle. What is also a great surprise is that there was a huge storm afterwards, in which more far people lost their lives than in the battle itself. The author then goes on to recount how the news was brought to England after the battle and how it spread to the rest of the world. This is a very stirring and often sad story, much recommended.

Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome
Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome
by Roy Adkins
59 used & new from $0.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure trove of detailed information, June 30, 2005
If you have a passion for learning about ancient Roman life, as I do, then this book is a must for you. It contains a wealth of encyclopedic detail about everything from Roman roads to religion, writing to wine pressing, eating and drinking to healing and thinking. Moderns can only reconstruct ancient Rome in the mind in fleeting glimpses nudged into being at random moments. This book, more than any other that I know of, succeeds in bringing many such satisfying moments to life.

A Small Journal of Heroin Addiction
A Small Journal of Heroin Addiction
by R. Marchesi
Price: $11.71
40 used & new from $0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Discoverer/Publisher speaks up, June 5, 2001
This book is a literary masterpiece. We submitted Mr. Marchesi's autobiographical book to the Frankfurt ebook awards 2000, thinking that he would surely receive the recognition this book deserves-instead, while taking nothing away from those who did win hard-earned recognition, true e-book authors like Mr. Marchesi were ignored in favor of print authors whose works were digitized as an afterthought to make them eligible for the e-book awards. This is the book that should have won at least one major prize in that competition. This is an important milestone, a 50-year unhealth check on the mores and the drug habits and the literary scene of the 1950's Beat Poets. This beautiful prose/poem book tells a wrenching story of a sojourn in hell on a *bateau ivre*, actually a Spanish Foreign Legion prison on Ceuta, an island on the cusp of Europe and Africa. Diagnosis: the white lady is deadly and dangerous as ever, insinuating herself into lives, ruining worlds, destroying decency. The author, Robin Marchesi, a true survivor of those trenches, is later able to rescue a fellow addict in San Francisco's Mission District. When this book first crossed my virtual desk as a submission from Mr. Marchesi, I read the first few sentences and was hooked (no pun intended). I still consider myself lucky that an original literary work of this quality should be my great fortune to discover and publish to the world. If I do nothing else with my publishing career, this one slender volume will be worth all of it, and more. Right on, Robin Marchesi, for this update from the road-shoulder between heaven and hell.

Thunderhead
Thunderhead
by Douglas Preston
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.83
221 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "Thunderhead" steals the thunder!, September 5, 2000
Another great yarn from Preston and Child. They are not only the masters of high concept, but deliver consistently and at peak form like perhaps no other writers in the adventure category alive today. This book is as good as their others -- wonderful.

Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror
Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror
by Steve Alten
101 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars "Meg" is a sure fire winner, September 5, 2000
Wow. This is one of the rare books that I kinda wish I'd thought of. Based on a brilliant premise, the book moves right along at a fast clip. A real sea yearn. Characters are motivated by both noble and base instincts that in some cases eerily parallel those of the prehistoric predator...a message for the human race? I've already bought Alten's sequel, which I am devouring ("The Trench").

Page: 1 | 2 | 3