Profile for Maddy's pal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Maddy's pal "Maddy's pal" RSS Feed (Slowly I turned....)

Garmin nüvi 370 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator
Garmin nüvi 370 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Garmin-refurb'ed bargain, October 16, 2008
When thieves stole my faithful Garmin StreetPilot c320, I replaced it with a Garmin-refurb'ed c330 - essentially the 320 with pre-loaded maps. Amazon's price was VERY attractive. But I quickly realized there'd be a security advantage in a model I could easily slip into my pocket when leaving the car. So I opted for a second replacement, the slim and sexy Nuvi 370, again a Garmin-refurb'ed unit from Amazon at about 2.8x the price of the 330.

After using the two units side-by-side for a couple of weeks my observation is that the 330 is the better value. Yes, I like the 370's ability to announce the street name ("Turn left at Main Street") rather than the 330's more generic "Turn left in 500 feet". Yes, it's fun having a unit that plays music I've downloaded to it, but that's superfluous because I already have an iPod and the 370's sound is gratingly tinny. The 370 also offers slide-shows of my transferred JPEG images, a feature I'd hate to defend to my insurance company after an accident.

Worse, my 370 is flawed. (Is yours too?)
* It randomly disregards my finger-tap-entered character, flashing the on-screen key to acknowledge my entry but then failing to show the character on the data-entry line.
* The 370's screen is less legible than the 330's because it displays smaller characters but is comparably subject to wash-out in sunlight.
* The battery life is about half the 330's.
* After several hours the 370's mounting bracket loses its suction grip on either the windscreen or the dash-affixed metal plate despite my having lovingly prepared the components according to the directions.
* And most egregiously for a Mac fancier, the 370 refuses to acknowledge the full deletion of the SD card's files; instead it insists on displaying (and playing if requested) the Mac-deleted MP3 files. I have to erase files by using my obsolete Toshiba laptop running Windows XP-SP1.

But the 370 surely does fit neatly in my pocket.

Pentax PTX-L50 Soft Leather Case for Optio Digital Cameras
Pentax PTX-L50 Soft Leather Case for Optio Digital Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a cellphone too, November 20, 2006
Pentax did an outstanding job in designing and jobbing-out this case for manufacturing. It's exceptionally well made. The current crop is from Viet Nam; earlier ones were unattributed.

I bought my first one for my Optio S and now I've bought a second for my Samsung i500 clamshell-style cellphone. The phone fits perfectly with its stub-antenna protruding slightly from the end of the zipper's track. A spare battery fits nicely in the accessory pocket.

The special feature that sets this pouch above many others is the sturdy strap & snap attached to the zipper pull. Snap it around a belt-loop and it will never slip off the dangling end of your belt.

One precaution: the zippered top affords less protection from rain than a flap-type design would, so keep an eye on the weather.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Moxie: The Great Divider, November 19, 2006
History has known only a few standards that cleanly divide Earth's population into irreconcilable camps. Moxie is one of these. No one is apathetic in the matter.

Many Moxie-AYE folks were introduced to it when they were young. The taste - shared by no other beverage ever - does more than startle their senses; for them it recalls earlier, happier times. Conversely, many Moxie-NAY folks encountered it later in life and found no appeal in a swig of (putting it gently) carbonated Robitussin.

I grew up in mid-coast Maine where Moxie was more beloved than mother's milk... and more widely consumed. Books have been written on the phenomenon, but few commentators have dwelt on what I regard as the worst slogan in advertising history: "Learn To Drink Moxie!" Yet that, respected Nay'er, is the best advice I can offer.

Today I live Moxie-deprived in western New York state. On cross-border forays into New England I always stock up. Alas, I can't resist sampling on the trip home, where my Prius gets better MPG on gas than I do on Moxie.

But let's be fair. If a person must be a fanatic on something, a prehistoric soft drink is about as benign a choice as one might make.