Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for BL > Reviews

Browse

BL's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

BL RSS Feed (HI, USA)

We Were Gonna Have a Baby, But We Had an Angel Instead
We Were Gonna Have a Baby, But We Had an Angel Instead
by Pat Schwiebert
Price: $8.95
62 used & new from $2.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet book, but I can't ignore the theological misnomer, March 4, 2009
I would love to love this book. The concern voiced by another reviewer is actually one of the reasons I liked it...it ends open-ended, it admits that it isn't just all okay in the morning. This is a good thing. There is hope implied in some of it, but it gives the child permission to not smile at the end. This is healthy.

But while I am grateful to my pastor for passing it along to me after I miscarried twins, I have not, nor will I, read it to my children. People who die do not become angels. I know that's not a popular thing to bring up...and I truly do not wish to offend a grieving parent...but the idea of passed loved ones getting wings and a halo is popular myth, not based in Scripture. :( I do not want to add theological confusion to my children's grief.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2011 7:31 PM PST

The Moon Seems to Change (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 2)
The Moon Seems to Change (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 2)
by Franklyn Mansfield Branley
50 used & new from $0.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Best kids' book for wrapping their minds around the moon, March 20, 2008
This is by far the best short treatment I've read on moon phases for kids. The illustrations and explanations are clear and understandable, and my five -year-old is able to "wrap his brain around" the idea of the moon rotating around the earth rotating around the sun...not the most intuitive concept around. In most other similar books I've looked at, they seem to assume you can already picture it in your head...this one adds the viewers' perspective in addition to the plantet's. Very helpful.

Biblical Parenting
Biblical Parenting
by Crystal Lutton
29 used & new from $4.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly useful tools, March 21, 2006
This review is from: Biblical Parenting (Paperback)
The ideas in this book have already changed the dynamic in our house for the better. Contrary to what the "world" tells us, we don't have to settle for the extremes of either being our child's "buddy" and parenting permissively or being our child's adversary in some kind of war and parent punitively. There is a middle ground, it is scriptural. Honestly, you could probably make good use of the tools in this book without reading the background, but the supporting information is wonderful for equipping your confidence and for dealing with the odd criticism. Direct, useful, and realistic. I wish I could afford multiple copies to give to people.

Oxygen
Oxygen
Offered by Argos Media Corp.
Price: $6.26
137 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Envigorating Pop for both mature Christians and seekers..., June 19, 2001
This review is from: Oxygen (Audio CD)
This album would make a great gift for that teen in your life who is torn between his/her faith and the catchy but morally foundering tunes of the Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Britney and Christina. I found myself singing along after just one listen, and still finding surprises in the melodies after ten times through. While I can understand the concerns raised about the vaguely "romantic" writing on many of the songs, I, for one, found myself reminded by them to focus on loving God with the same single-minded attention I've felt for my husband. There's enough here to keep the album spiritually grounded while allowing for cross-over success if it comes their way. Don't condemn such a possibility outright - God used Amy Grant years ago to wake me up spiritually. If I'd never heard "Baby Baby," I wouldn't have heard "El Shaddai" and gone looking for answers to the questions it raised. Yes, this album is lighter than Avalon's previous offerings, but it still showcases their powerful faith and powerful voices.

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians (National Audubon Society Field Guides (Paperback))
by John L. Behler
Edition: Vinyl Bound
Price: $16.81
203 used & new from $2.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Most popular book on the block...., May 15, 2001
Let's just say that when any of the neighborhood kids finds a turtle, they come to our house to ID it. And we don't have any kids. (They know my husband is really a kid at heart, where amphibians are concerned) and now that we have this book we have identified many of their little "finds," and more than a few snakes on my mom and dad's property. Very easy to use, great pictures and habit information, and ***especially useful for the info on what a particuar critter might be confused with.***

A Civil Action
A Civil Action
by Jonathan Harr
Price: $9.83
1023 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative & disturbing; excellent but not escapist reading, September 18, 1999
This review is from: A Civil Action (Paperback)
I just finished this book after a long day's read - I have to agree with other reviews that much of this information could have been found in a newspaper article, and that the characters are not always people we want to respect, but this is a true story. People who fight for good aren't always the kind of hero we want them to be. In reading this account, we are priviledged to get the story from an author who had access to most of the key players and issues as things happened. You can't get that from a newspaper story. Reading this wasn't the most fun I've had reading a novel, but I am glad I read it and found it well-written under the circumstances (namely, that it was a complicated issue with lots of minutiae and flawed but recognizable people). I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever been involved in the legal process as a juror and to anyone else curious about how the system really works.