Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Profile for D. Bennett > Reviews

Browse

D. Bennett's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Bennett "Slade" RSS Feed (Riverside, CA)

Cell Scape
Cell Scape
Price: $12.99
57 used & new from $5.32

5.0 out of 5 stars music that matches a manic mindset, February 4, 2006
This review is from: Cell Scape (Audio CD)
It's easily their best album. This album tones down the noise and introduces rhythm and melody. Not the barrage of sound and havoc that most would expect having heard their other efforts. Advanced rhythms and a less by the numbers structure to everything softens this up.

This really sets in by the time "Lost Parts..." kicks in and you reallize their genius in turning noise into something with order, turning the familiar into the unfamiliar and back again.

The best way to get into Melt Banana is through this album, and it's likely to stick as most people's favorites

You can even enjoy this album if you're not high :D

Angel Dust
Angel Dust
Price: $9.72
173 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Lust would be more appropriate..., February 4, 2006
This review is from: Angel Dust (Audio CD)
Maybe I'm way too jaded to "wierd" music, but the first time I heard Angel Dust... it struck me as being way too normal. Took me a while to really get into the album, but I'll say now that it's Faith No More's second best album, after the underrated King for a Day... It has a great feel to it, if a little conventional.

IMO Faith No More is at its worst when they try to do heavy stuff... They're much better with experimental Jazz, off the wall stuff. Thankfully, the only mediocre tracks are "Caffeine", "Smaller and Smaller", and "Crack Hitler", all in that vain... along with the truly awful "Malpractice".

That gotten out of the way, most of the rest of the album is safe synth pop, though more mature than on The Real Thing. The standouts being "Midlife Crisis", "Everything's Ruined", and "A small Victory".

As for the wierder stuff (there's fewer of it than on other FNM albums, barring The Real Thing), "RV" is a great diatribe into the trailer trash mindset... reminds me of something that would be playing in the background on an old scratchy record player in any such home. "Be Agressive" combines equal aspects of haunting organ, wah wah guitar, and cheerleaders, all while patton sings lyrics (by Roddy Bottum ;) about giving head. Midnight Cowboy is a smooth instrumental, something great to end the album on.

I'm hard pressed to call this the best Faith No More album. I think that honor still has to go to King for a Day, but Angel Dust ties for my favorite.

Leprechaun 4: In Space
Leprechaun 4: In Space
DVD ~ Warwick Davis
Price: $9.99
43 used & new from $1.98

4.0 out of 5 stars I am not Mitten-heim..., January 13, 2006
This review is from: Leprechaun 4: In Space (DVD)
I am... MITTEN-SPIDER!!!

If you are opposed to a movie that includes that line, stop reading now. Even hardcore lep fans have been turned off by this amount of cheesiness.

Nearly everything in the movie is random. No explaination is even given for Lep being in space.

Random clothes get torn off.

There are even random, gratuitous breasts.

The acting and cinematography are on par with the Star Wars Christmas Special (that will automatically turn anyone off to this movie who has seen the Christmas special... that .02% of you).

That said it's a comedy goldmine. There's always an excuse to laugh at what's on the screen.

It has to be seen to believed, so I'll stop talking. If you're going to buy this movie, you know who you are.

Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood
Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood
DVD ~ Warwick Davis
Price: $6.39
41 used & new from $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars In some ways, the best Lep film... not a good thing, January 13, 2006
This review is from: Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood (DVD)
The thing that surprised me about Lep 6 is that out of all the films, it looks the most like a "real" movie. That is, the cinematography and direction is not far behind any recent blockbuster, which doesn't say much for recent horror movies... The acting is predictably cheesy, but at least it doesn't take itself too seriously.

However.

Lep doesn't rhyme at all. He doesn't rap (as he did in what I now refer to as "Back 1 tha hood", retroactively). The movie has it's moments of ridiculous glee, but it's not as much of a train wreck as previous Lep movies. Especially the previous "Back 1 tha hood" and "Lep in Space" debacles.

Being one who only viewed this movie for the entertainment value of how awful it was, this does not bode well. When the movie is trying to be scary (and it is one of the scariest lep films, imagine that) it's merely boring.

Listen to the director's commentary for a racist remark. "Because you know, having a white person steal from a black person is a bit of a role reversal!" met by silence from a probably stunned Warwick Davis.

Here's to Lep 7: Back 3 tha hood being better.

All Dogs Go to Heaven
All Dogs Go to Heaven
DVD ~ Dom DeLuise
Price: $6.99
180 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia trip Surprisingly Rewarded, January 13, 2006
This review is from: All Dogs Go to Heaven (DVD)
I never liked dogs when I was a kid, mostly because I was a runt and they could pretty much eat me whole. Which didn't preclude me from liking the idea of dogs, or from loving this film way back when. On a nostalgia kick I bought it again and expected to have another aspect of my childhood destroyed upon being reminded of how horrible some of the things I liked back then actually are from an adult perspective (A few examples come to mind, but at least I won't have to contend with liking a few things on TV nowadays that will definitely have future adults cringing...).

Surprise, it's actually even more enjoyable now as an "adult". It's all as good as I remembered, or better.

When I was a child I never percieved it as a particularly "dark" film as so many claim it to be... Truthfully, the thing that has stuck with me over the years is the songs. They really are engaging and well written, not the squirm-fests that populate most children's films of any era. And while certain things stick out as not being acceptable in today's children's pictures (the drinking, and straightforwardness on topics such as gambling and murder), I definitely don't think that's the attitude that defines the film. To "clean up" this movie would be to suck the life from it, and make it just like any more modern children's film.

I have no qualms with showing it to my nieces and nephews. I think it's a shame that movies nowaday shelter younguns from anything resembling reality. Besides, at the core it's a great, touching story about love and friendship, and I think that's what shines through for most kids, and most adults upon watching the film. Anne Marie is absolutely adorable, and Charlie, voiced by Burt Reynolds is as likeable a scoundrel as any. The characters are all dimensional and believable, despite being dogs. Another thing that sticks out when viewing this film in comparison to more modern children's offerings.

It can now be seen, unfortunately, as a throwback to when kids movies didn't need to rely on flashy graphics or super-hip characters and settings to be entertaining. Current studios could use a dose of this adventurousness.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 6:55 AM PDT