Profile for Imran > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Imran RSS Feed

Apple Macbook Air MD231ll/A 13.3-inch Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Apple Macbook Air MD231ll/A 13.3-inch Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Offered by GoodPoints Electronics
Price: $975.00
81 used & new from $614.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Returned my top Ultrabook for this... and no regrets, July 22, 2012
Before I start this review, I would like to mention that I had an Asus Zenbook UX31A for a week or two before I ordered the Air. The Ultrabook was stellar - most reviewers say it is the top Ultrabook out right now (the MBA technically does not classify as an Ultrabook), but it had some shortcomings that I could not stand. Therefore, I bought the Air instead. Anyways, here is my opinion on the 13" MBA (2012 edition).

Pros:

- VERY thin and light and small
- Looks nice and original, design-wise
- AMAZING trackpad. Seriously... no other laptop has this good of a trackpad. The multitouch gestures are phenomenal and making using the MBA a breeze.
- Chiclet backlit keyboard
- Not that much bloatware compared to the UX31A
- Very fast SSD - great write speeds
- (Related to SSD) Fast bootup and sleep resume times (faster than the UX31A)
- Great Apple warranty support
- Enough hard drive space by stock - I had around 108GB available by stock which is pretty good compared to some other ultrabooks
- Very loud and clear speakers
- Display is not overly saturated
- USB 3.0 ports
- Get the satisfaction of having a Mac ;)
- Ability to dualboot/use Parallels to get Windows 7

Cons:

- The resolution could be higher. The UX31A has a 1080p display, which absolutely murders this. Still, 1440x900 isn't bad.
- Battery life is okay. I get ~6 or 6.5 hours, which is fine, but it really should be higher.
- You own an Apple product, which requires you to either be ignorant or constantly defend yourself. You choose.

Okay well that is my unbiased (I think) review on the Macbook Air. So far I love my choice of returning the UX31A to get the Air. If anyone has any other questions about the Air or comparisons between this and the Zenbook, please comment.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 10:53 PM PDT

ASUS Zenbook UX31A-DB51 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (OLD VERSION)
ASUS Zenbook UX31A-DB51 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (OLD VERSION)
Offered by Amazing Arapahoe
2 used & new from $749.00

3.0 out of 5 stars [Updated 7/14/2012] A decent laptop, June 29, 2012
Update3: My newer unit even had wireless problems after awhile. It wasn't really an n-router problem because I disabled n-mode and was still having trouble connecting to regular g or b. My new one also had horrible backlight bleeding. It turns out that I got fed up of this laptop after reading the cons so I just returned it for now. I may get the UX31A-DB51 again, but for now I am laptop-less. I just feel like Asus has not put enough time into ensuring that users get the optimal experience. It shouldn't take 3 Zenbooks for a user to not experience wireless problems or have a good trackpad or something.

Update2: Got my new Zenbook. It also had Wireless problems, but they weren't as bad as my old one. I was able to fix these problems by tweaking my router settings. Everything is great now. Anyways, for the sake of testing out this keyboard, I might as well finish this review.

Pros:
- Amazing 1080p display
- Great Bang & Olufsen sound
- Looks very nice
- Backlit keyboard
- Fast Ivy Bridge processor
- Very fast startup times
- Great Amazon warranty - replaced in 1 day
- Excellently packed + sleeve given
- Very light and portable

Cons:
- Wireless problems. If you have an n-router, you WILL need to tweak out your settings
- Comes with a lot of bloatware
- Battery life is just "okay"
- Touchpad needs to be tweaked in the settings before it is usable
- Colors on display are a little saturated
- The Fn key needs to be used to access volume and brightness control by pressing Fn+F-key combo. I think it would be a lot more useful if those volume and brightness keys were able to be pressed without Fn, and Fn would be used only to access the actions of the F-keys. I'm making it sound complicated, but I basically mean the opposite of what it is now.
- Asus tech support is pretty much useless. They assume you're some amateur with computers. You're better off just returning your Zenbook to Amazon if you think you have a major problem because they give you free 1-day shipping anyways.

Update: After trying many things to try and fix my network issues, I have decided just to get a replacement. Amazon is coming to pick mine up tomorrow and will give me a new one. I will update about my new Zenbook once it comes.

Just got my product. I love the 1080p display, the Bang & Olufsen sound, super speedy ADATA SSD, and basically everything about it. However, I have experienced a MAJOR problem that just makes this product annoying for me. I've had issues connecting to my Wireless Internet ever since I got the laptop. It was the first thing I noticed and did not leave a good impression. When I click connect to my network, the Zenbook takes ages to connect and usually stops at "Limited access" or "No network access". After several attempts, it *sometimes* connects to the internet. I know for a fact that it isn't a problem with my internet because the 3 other laptops that I have connect to the network easily. I also tried tethering the Mobile Network from my phone onto the laptop via WiFi and it wouldn't work. I've been trying to fix this and I'm going to call Asus to try to fix this problem. Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue and I won't have to return it. Asides from this problem, the laptop is great and I'm excited to use it. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2013 11:33 PM PDT