Profile for Can't sing, but love those who do > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Can't sing, but love those who do RSS Feed (Minnesota)

KitchenAid KFP7I5 7-Cup Food Processor, White
KitchenAid KFP7I5 7-Cup Food Processor, White
Price: $90.42
9 used & new from $23.31

2.0 out of 5 stars For the price of a replacement bowl..., January 10, 2011
As others have noted, the bowl is the weakest link in this product's design. I bought the KitchenAid after a long-lived RobotCoupe bought the farm. Loved it, all 4-6 times I used it, until the gadget at the base of the handle -- the thing that makes contact so the motor will run -- snapped off. I *never* put this bowl in the dishwasher, and never used it for anything more strenuous than making pesto. I went to the store and did some comparison shopping. Come to find out that virtually all food processors on the market today have the SAME design "feature" -- a little plastic piece at the base of the handle, just itching to break off!

Soooo... spend the extra money on a Braun K650-CombiMax. It's designed to make contact at the top of the bowl, not the base, with nothing to snap off (just like my poor old RobotCoupe, or like older Cuisinarts). Depending on where you buy it, it'll work out to be about the same as one KitchenAid, plus one replacement bowl. The Braun also has many more speeds and a bunch more features. Quieter, too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2012 3:40 PM PDT

Harman Kardon HK 3390 80W Stereo Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Harman Kardon HK 3390 80W Stereo Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. As good as live., December 25, 2009
I recently bought the HK 3390 to replace a 20+ year-old Yamaha receiver that finally died. It arrived the other evening and took no time at all to set up. (I should note: this is just for playing music, not part of a home theater.) As several reviewers have said, for this application and at this price, the amplifier is superb. In my case it's connected to a set of (again, vintage!) ADS L570/2 speakers. I popped in a CD of The Nutcracker, complete, recorded back in the 1990s by Seiji Ozawa and the BSO in Symphony Hall. Absolutely GORGEOUS sound compared to my old receiver. Every layer of the orchestration was clear, resonant and LIVE -- as though I were sitting first balcony center in that glorious room. I've rarely been so happy with a purchase as I am with this. And I feel twenty years younger, too!

JBL On Tour Portable Speaker System ( Black )
JBL On Tour Portable Speaker System ( Black )
Offered by Mobile Speaks
Price: $75.00
9 used & new from $42.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good sound; silly, wasteful package, June 17, 2008
After a fair amount of research, I bought the JBL Ontour speakers recently, planning to hook them up to my laptop which will serve as my sole source of entertainment while living overseas for a few months. The sound is surprisingly good: clear and accurate, and plenty loud for my purposes (surely more than enough for a hotel room, if you have any consideration for your neighbors! ;-)) Its self-contained travel case is a cool feature, too. But as many others have noted, the packaging is ridiculously difficult to broach -- and what's with this trend to pack *everything* in un-recyclable plastic?? Otherwise: great little gadget, excellent price on Amazon.

Enchanted April
Enchanted April
DVD ~ Josie Lawrence
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $15.59
37 used & new from $2.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Drum up the DVD: Write to this company, March 25, 2008
This review is from: Enchanted April (DVD)
I contacted the BBC films division, which still appears to own the rights to Enchanted April. I was told that the retailing of BBC properties is now being done by a British media marketing firm which has started releasing some recent BBC productions as well as older ones. Here's the name of the company's managing director -- worth sending him an email. I wrote a few weeks ago and suggested he look at all the Amazon postings crying out for this release on DVD. I didn't hear back, but maybe shouts of "Soldi! Soldi!" will attract his attention. Contact:
Stuart Snaith
Managing Director DVD & Video
stuart.snaith@2entertain.co.uk
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2008 7:15 AM PDT

Kate Royal
Kate Royal
Price: $17.72
47 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A very promising YOUNG singer, October 11, 2007
This review is from: Kate Royal (Audio CD)
This is in part a response to "Santa Fe Listener," whose comments are astute but, I think, miss the mark slightly. At the time of this release, Royal was/is 27 years old. Very young as a singer in other words. She is indeed in the hunt: her diction is very fine, her idiomatic singing of the Strauss lieder is truly accomplished, and a lovely, easily-produced, distinctive tone (more characterful than many "top" sopranos today). To criticize her for not fully inhabiting the operatic repertory is somewhat misplaced. The problem with the Next Big Thing mentality is that it expects, and record labels push, singers to sing beyond their capacity at early stages of their careers. In this recording, Royal wisely resists that misguided course. It's a lovely piece of work by a young, intelligent, and surely soon-to-be distinguished singer.