Profile for Jeremy Johnson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeremy Johnson RSS Feed (Washington State)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
I Got My Dream Job and So Can You
I Got My Dream Job and So Can You
Price: $5.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, but just like any other job Search Book., March 23, 2012
Engaging and geared towards the collage graduate job searcher, but it still has good info that can be used by anyone in any stage of their career that still hasn't got their dream job. While it has practical action points, I would say this book is only 20% action and 80% inspiring and trying to motivate you to follow the steps. If you've read any job search book you probably already know a good deal of whats in this book. The author does focus on your online presence a little more then other books I've read, such as using linked-in and making sure that there is no negative material showing up when someone searches for your name through Google or any other search engine.

If it's your first time reading this type of book or you just want some more motivation, it is as good as any other book out there. Otherwise do what you already know and don't wast more time reading and just start doing.

Disclosure: I was given a free digital copy of this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all thoughts and opinions are mine unless otherwise indicated.

Illusion: A Novel
Illusion: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $6.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Peretti is back!!!!, March 6, 2012
This review is from: Illusion: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Long awaited novel from popular christian author Frank Peretti. Over 7 years since his last book, he crafts a story about love, life, and relationship. Peretti's own note about the story, he says "... this tale is a fictional tribute to love as God made it, and by that, an illustration of how beautiful the love between ourselves and our Lord can be".

In this book Peretti explores and plays with the idea of Time and inter-dimensional travel and weaves in a love story between two great magicians. While this is not the intense, demon and angel stories that he is popular for in This Present Darkness or Piercing the Darkness, it is still a very good story that includes the details and quality of writing that he is known for.

The story starts off with the tragic event of Dane Collin's wife Mandy passing away after a car wreck. Despite Dane's frantic attempts to rescue his wife, he can not pull her from the burning wreckage. After her assumed death, 19 year old Mandy Whitacre from 1970 wakes up disoriented and in the present year of 2010. All that was familiar to Many has changed; in the following chapters Mandy begins to search for the truth to figure out who she is and how she managed to get transferred 40 years into the future. Taking her father's advice she tries to make lemonade from the lemons she was just dealt. Through her searching, she encounters a guy named Dane Collin's. While she doesn't know this man, there is a strong attraction that she doesn't understand but will soon enough.

As Mandy finds out what happened, she also finds that things are out of balance and they can not remain as they are. They then begin to prepare their "Great Illusion" in the attempt to put things back into balance and hopes that Dane and Mandy can be together again.

Again, another great story that I am proud to add to my library of Frank Peretti books, It a very good read that I highly recommend.

I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley.com <[...]> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 [...] : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sampling of their product, November 23, 2011
If you've never read a Dummies books, this is a perfect time to get a sampling of their work as they have brought together their best.

In a simpler list the chapters from the following books are included:
01. DOS - The Doss Shell
17. Dating - The Perfect Date: Person and Place
18. British History - The Sun Never Sets, But It Don't Shine Either
19. Canadian History - Borden and the Great War
20. Rugby Union - The World Cup

I've never been a fan of Mix and Mash like this but hey it's free. So no complaints and maybe I'll learn something I otherwise wouldn't have.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2013 12:24 AM PDT

Muffin Knight
Muffin Knight
Offered by Appstore - US - MP - Offer
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok on Kindle Fire, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Muffin Knight (App)
First time I opened the app it wouldn't respond and had to force close. Opening it a second time it worked fine. The issue I notice is the screen keeps rotating in between levels. I hold the device the same way I was through the level and as soon as you go to upgrade characters or do anything, the screen randomly flips upside down. Thankfully it doesn't do this while you're actually trying to play the game. I don't see any issue with the permission requirements that everyone is complaining about. if you don't like them don't install. My guess it that it's just trying to determine what's running and make sure nothing will conflict with the game.

Kindle Touch 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
17 used & new from $67.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as the rest, November 17, 2011
I've used the Kindle DX, Kindle Keyboard, and now the Touch version. at first I wasn't really expecting much, every time I though of e-ink and touch screen I though of the other manufacture's first version a few years back that had an over lay and didn't really perform too great. I'm glad Amazon waited til now because the touch screen works very well. I love the menu navigation and book navigation with the touch screen. I just don't like typing on a touch screen, I find it personally more difficult to select the right letters and sometime being able to select buttons.

The kindle has pretty much the same feature set as the previous versions; a few changes are how the screen refreshes, how the basic web-browser is used over 3g, and the fact it is touch screen. The screen now only changes the portions of the screen that are being used and reduces the number of full screen refreshes. If you don't like this there is a setting to change it back to the way previous kindles have done screen refresh. For the web browser, you can use Amazon.com and Wikipedia over 3G but the rest of you're browsing will need to be done over WiFi.

I find it very comfortable and still easy to navigate you're books with one hands. It's an easy reach with you're thumb to tap the side of the screen to turn page or you can swipe if you need to go back a page. I can't really label either the Kindle Keyboard or the Kindle Touch as better, it's really all in you're preference; they are both solid devices.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2011 5:13 AM PST

Dog Cartoon-A-Day: 2012 Day-to-Day Calendar
Dog Cartoon-A-Day: 2012 Day-to-Day Calendar

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, Dont see how it will be useful as a calendar, November 16, 2011
It's basically like one of those tear-off calendars that people get for their desk. It does have the date and day, but you'll need to open it each day go to the next page to keep up. While a lot of the jokes are uninspired and a little bit of a stretch, there have been a few that made me chuckle. Definitely not something I would have paid for, glad I got it for free.

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
188 used & new from $59.90

4.0 out of 5 stars My First tablet and I Like it., November 16, 2011
I like how easy and accessible everything is with the menu across the top. The recent items carousel on the main page is a lot more accessible version of the iPhone's tray of running apps.

It has a little more weight than I expected but haven't noticed it since I picked it up and I don't mind the weight. It has a very solid and quality feel that I like.

While you can get some charge using a USB port, it won't fully charge the battery; you'll need to keep the wall adapter handy for it to get a good charge.

Screen is crisp and clear and I have not really encountered any response issues. I actually find the recent items carousel to be a little too responsive or not enough buffer; slide an item to far before release it and it slides right past.

Great device that combines all my favorite things on Amazon. No complaints, glad I purchased.

TRIVIAL PURSUIT Master Edition
TRIVIAL PURSUIT Master Edition
Offered by Electronic Arts, Inc.
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Game done pretty well, October 14, 2011
First off, I stink at trivia. This was confirmed when I lost to a single easy computer. This game works well on the kindle and I enjoyed playing it. Games includes 3 modes; Classic: which is your normal trivial pursuit, you can select if you want a computer opponent to play against and their difficulty as well as how many tokens you need to win. Pursuit Mode: which is a single player mode where you try to get from start to finish in the least amount of questions. You can move 1-6 spaces depending on how quickly you answer and even if you get it wrong you still move 1 space. At the end it gives you 1, 2, or 3 stars depending on how many questions you saw. Pass N play is a group mode that you can play with your friends. In pass n play mode you can still select Classic or Pursuit mode.

So now you ask me why did I give a less than perfect score if it was done so well? I have a few complaints that prompted me to give a less than 5-star review. First, when you're playing with a computer opponent there is no way to skip by what the computer is doing. You have to sit their and watch, so when they keep hitting the roll again spaces over and over and over again, it starts to get boring. Having the option to click the next page button to skip the animation would be nice. Second is the dice rolling animation, it takes 4 seconds to roll the dice. This time adds up and unnecessarily adds length to the game play. I want to spend my time playing the game, not watching. One last annoyance, after rolling and you get to select what square you want to go to on the board, the selection process is backwards. It automatically selects one for you, if you want the square that appears to the left you have to hit the right side of the 5-way controller. Overall, If you like trivia this game is worth getting. I would still buy even with the annoyances. Thanks for reading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2013 2:58 AM PDT

Quicken Deluxe 2012 [OLD VERSION]
Quicken Deluxe 2012 [OLD VERSION]
Offered by TopGoods
Price: $46.99
3 used & new from $46.99

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, probably don't need to upgrade, October 4, 2011
So Amazon started selling the digital download on Oct 1, the physical item starts shipping Oct 4 and the product still isn't called out on the manufacture's website. Select a product from their product list and it still takes you to the 2011 version. Can't be that big of an improvement if the company isn't even promoting it on their website. Makes you wonder.

Here is how my first hour went. After purchase I had the software downloaded and installed with-in 20-30 minutes. Prompted by the first step of the welcome screen I began setting up my accounts. At first I wasn't sure what was happening because it would saying it's connecting and getting data. Then the screen would disappear and start all over. I Finally figure out that it has to access each checking, savings, or credit card account individually even though it's all under the same user account. So what appeared as being stuck in a loop / bug was really just poor programming design.

The process picked up my checking, savings, and credit card account just fine but had an asterisk next to my mortgage account... read the fine print to find out that quicken is not compatible with my banks mortgage accounts and I have to set it up manually. Chase is not a small bank by any means, so I'm very surprised that this feature is unavailable.

I finally wanted to check and see if they listed whats new in this version. so I went to help and clicked on "Getting Started". I was kinda surprised to have it link me to the 2011 Getting Started Webpage; OOPS!

Finally went into the help document to find this weak list of new features:
* NEW! Large Fonts - Your finances are easier than ever to see and understand with large font support.
* NEW! Automatically Accept Investing Transactions - We've added a preference to enter downloaded transactions into your investing accounts as soon as they are received. And you can control this preference on an account-by-account basis!
* NEW! Investment transaction lists now include a Share Balance column.
* NEW! We've added more Account Bar icons to make it even easier to see when something needs your attention in an account. Just click an icon and Quicken tells you what it means, and takes you to the area in the program where you can resolve it.

and this list of redesigns and improvements:
* REDESIGNED! Budgets - It's easier to set goals and stay in control of your finances with our redesigned budget tool.
* REDESIGNED! Debt Reduction Planner - Create a customized plan to reduce your debt--new interactive tools make it easy for you to stick to your plan.
* REDESIGNED! Property Dashboard - Get a true picture of your net worth with our new Property dashboard.
* IMPROVED! Quicken Transfer Format (QXF) Support - You now have the ability to import and export .QXF files. This facilitates the exchange of data between Quicken Essentials for Mac and other Quicken Windows versions.
IMPROVED! You'll notice snappier performance while accepting downloaded transactions and opening Security Detail View--especially if you have a lot of accounts or securities.
* IMPROVED! See how much you really have left to spend with simplified bill and income reminders.

Reading the reviews on the last version, the software seemed to have been riddled with advertisements; I have yet to cross one in 2012. Previous version also had complaints about tools being removed and new ones being of poor quality... From what I can tell. there are enough reports and tools to cover any previous tool that may have been available. I can not yet attest to their quality. Looking at the support page however, there does seem to be a current issue with connecting to Bank of America for account updates and other random errors with express web accounts.

Overall not an impressive update. It's ok upgrade to the couple year old version I had used.. but does not sound like a needed upgrade from any recent version. If you have 2010 or 2011, stick with it and save your money.
Comment Comments (26) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2012 5:00 AM PDT

Quicken Deluxe 2012 [Download] [OLD VERSION]
Quicken Deluxe 2012 [Download] [OLD VERSION]

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehh, probably don't need to upgrade, October 3, 2011

Finally went into the help document to find this weak list of new features:
* NEW! Investment transaction lists now include a Share Balance column.

and this list of redesigns and improvements:

Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2011 8:36 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4