Profile for Mary Jo Sminkey > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 973

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary Jo Sminkey "15 years of Amazon Reviews!" RSS Feed (Wake Forest, NC USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Measure of Success: Uncovering the Biblical Perspective on Women, Work, and the Home
by Carolyn McCulley
Price: $12.59
51 used & new from $8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book on Working Christian Women, July 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoyed this book even more than I had expected to, most especially because of how much Carolyn's life experience parallels my own, being single and a business woman, but not specifically deciding to eschew marriage and children, but just not having found the right person to share their life with. At the same time I really appreciated the different perspective on this subject offered by Nora... someone much like my sister so also someone I could understand as well. The history of work they present was fascinating and blends well into the subject matter as does the changing nature of today's home environment. While this book is targeted for women, I think men of faith will find much here as well to consider in their relationships and appreciation of what the women in their lives do and bring to the table.

Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Smart Switch with Home Automation App for iPhone, iPad, iPad mini, iPod touch, Android Smartphones and Tablets
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use Device to Control Household Appliances Via Phone App, July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was pleasantly surprised by this Wifi switch. A similar power switch I tried out before had a couple major downfalls...you had to attach a controller to your router (mine already was pretty maxed out on available ports) and it also had no way to turn it on and off at the switch itself, only via the phone app. This smart switch addresses both of those issues. First, the wifi is built in so the switch itself connects to your Wifi network. It did take me quite a few attempts for it to connect and configure itself, but once it did connect I haven't had any more issues. The app is easy enough to use, just name the device and click the button to turn it on and off. You can configure it with an icon or photo as well as a custom name, and set up a countdown timer or schedule to turn on and off. The switch itself has a power switch on the top of it so that you can turn whatever is plugged into it off directly, obviously turning it on will only power it up depending on its current status in the app. Overall I'm pretty happy with this switch, it is reasonably priced, easy to use and fairly compact. I do knock it down a star due to the difficulties I had in getting it set up initially, as well as the FAQs in the app which are in very poor English and often hard to follow.

Prince Lionheart YoMOTO Ride - On Bike, White/Blue
Prince Lionheart YoMOTO Ride - On Bike, White/Blue
Price: $80.00
6 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect first bike for toddlers, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is just a great little pre-bike for a young toddler, it helps them learn to balance without having to have the additional skill to pedal. It looks like a little motorcycle which boys in particular are really excited about and the big wide tires keep it really stable when they ride it. We loved that it comes already almost fully assembled in a nice attractive box, just open it up and pull it out, attach the handles and it was ready to go! A great first bike that should get a lot of use until they are ready for the real thing.

Iams Healthy Naturals Adult Chicken Plus Barley Recipe Premium Dog Dry Food, 12.5-Pound
Price: $18.97
7 used & new from $16.66

4.0 out of 5 stars A big improvement over previous Iams foods and suitable for smaller breeds, July 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like other reviewers, I like to rely on dogfoodadvisor.com for help evaluating foods for my dogs, this one earns 4 stars, it has a good protein content, and no corn. I mixed it in with the more expensive dog food I typically buy at first, and was pleased that the kibbles are nice and small....I have small dogs and often have to buy foods specifically labeled for small dogs as they won't always eat really large kibbles. No problems here. My older dog can be a bit finicky but he liked the food...my cat as well always tries to steal the dog's food and you know that it has to have a decent protein content for a cat to like it! Iams has not always had a good reputation for using good ingredients so I was a bit leery about trying this but I'm happy with the results I've had with this food.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 9:29 AM PDT

Miglio Design Doppio Cat Scratcher Lounge
Miglio Design Doppio Cat Scratcher Lounge
Price: $43.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and Well Made Multi Purpose Cat Furniture, July 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My cat just loves this, as soon as I put it down, he gave it a good scratch test, and then jumped up and curled in for a nap. The nice thing about these loungers is cats tend to want to scratch as soon as they wake up so this puts the scratching surface right where they need it. It's also long enough for them to get a good stretch which is also essential for a cat when they just woke up. It's a fairly attractive piece of furniture versus the cardboard trays that basically provide the same sort of scratching surface but are ugly and often not as long, and don't seem to be as attractive to snooze on for my cat.

So how does this compare to the popular PetFusion Cat Scratcher Lounge? This scratcher lounger is a bit smaller than the PetFusion one, so probably not the best for a larger cat but will be fine for most average sized cats. It has a nice light wood color that works better for my room than the darker PetFusion lounger. They both feel fairly similar in durability, but time will tell how they hold up. I like the more modern lines of this lounger, but that is pretty much just personal taste.

Victorinox Swiss Army Prep 'N' Chef's Set
Victorinox Swiss Army Prep 'N' Chef's Set
Price: $67.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Only buy if cheaper as a set, July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This set basically includes the 5-piece prep set as well as the 6" chef knife. While the knives are very sharp and are a good set for most kitchen prep needs, there doesn't seem to be any benefit to buying them together as a set. The knife block doesn't hold the chefs knife, and current prices on these are cheaper when they are bought separately. I'm not sure why someone would want to buy a large chefs knife without a block that can hold it (it doesn't even come with a cardboard sleeve to protect it if you store it in the drawer) so it's pretty confusing as to why these are being sold as a set and then priced higher than the individual pieces. Of course prices change so maybe it will come down but for now, there isn't much reason to buy this set. Having said that, the individual knives seem solidly made, time will tell how they hold up but the edges are very sharp, the serrated knives are useful for cutting bread, bagels, etc. so I would certainly recommend them to someone shopping on a budget.

Vitamix Certified Reconditioned 2-Speed Blender, Black
Vitamix Certified Reconditioned 2-Speed Blender, Black
Price: $299.00
2 used & new from $299.00

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love smoothies, you NEED one of these!, July 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's no doubt that a Vitamix is something anyone that loves smoothies should have. It can pretty much handle anything you throw in it, allowing you to add all kinds of veggies and such to your fruit smoothies and never knowing the difference. The power of it is just so impressive when compared to regular blenders that struggle if you give them things like ice cubes to deal with. This refurbished model allows you to consider one without breaking the budget. I wasn't sure whether I would like the simple low-high speed versus the next model up that has an adjustable speed, but it actually worked pretty well, the low didn't shoot all the stuff to the top as I expected, and the high took care of of the rest. The blender comes with a pretty nice guide and recipe book, I haven't tried many of these yet as I've just been doing smoothies, but I look forward to checking out some of the other things this great kitchen device can do, such as making hot soup or sauces for main courses.

Swingline ProStyle+ Super Cross-cut Junk Mail Shredder, 14 Sheets, 1 User (1757391)
Price: $104.99
2 used & new from $104.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice shredder with slide out drawer to empty, July 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very happy with this shredder, the cross shred is a very secure shred so good for private documents. It easily handles credit cards and CDs and uses a separate slot so as to not wear out the paper shredder slot. One thing I particularly liked with this device was the drawer so that you don't have to lift the top off (typically very heavy and cumbersome to handle) in order to empty it. This makes it particularly nice for a narrow, limited space. The big question for me is always how long a shredder will last as they always seem to wear out just after the warranty ends. Hopefully this one will hang in there longer!

Pinemeadow Golf Realtree Cart Bag
Pinemeadow Golf Realtree Cart Bag
Price: $98.99
2 used & new from $98.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good bag for the price, July 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a nicely designed cart bag (not for carrying) with tons of features and storage compartments. It included spaces for things like valuables, cooler compartment, umbrella, pens/pencils, etc. I'm not sure a cooler compartment is as useful for a cart bag, but it's roomy and I'm sure it will still get use. The tee holder was a bit tight and made it too hard to get them in and out so that was a good idea poorly implemented. I liked the separators for the clubs and it included a large cover for inclement weather. The fabric of the bag does not feel particularly high end so I am not sure how well it will hold up over time, but it's not a particularly expensive bag so you wouldn't expect the most durable materials being used. Overall it's a pretty decent bag for the price and definitely one that is more eye catching than most due to the camouflage appearance.

Certified Refurbished Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers
Price: $109.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Freezes way too often, July 15, 2014
I just bought my first Paperwhite which came yesterday. It's going back today. In just one day of use, I had to reset the device due to freezing at least 3 to 4 times, and many other times while reading it would refuse to turn pages for several seconds. Wow, this is supposed to be an IMPROVEMENT over the older Kindle?? No thanks. I might try another one to see if I got a bad device, but with lots of reports from other users of freezes I'm not so sure that I did.

On another note, when I originally wrote this review, I commented on not being able to view books that weren't in collections currently, in order to organize them easily. Well, Amazon Kindle support actually called me and walked me through how to use the sorting features in order to view my collections and then the list of books and while I still haven't found a way to view just the list of books that aren't in a collection, I was impressed that Kindle support called me and tried to work out a way to do this with me. I did return the first Kindle Paperwhite I got that crashed so often, and so far the replacement one has not locked up yet, so hoping it just was a bad device. The replacement was this refurbished model, which had a lot of dust and dirt all around the screen, so was not particularly happy will how poorly it was cleaned up.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 8:19 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20