Profile for Mary Jo Sminkey > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 972

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary Jo Sminkey "15 years of Amazon Reviews!" RSS Feed (Wake Forest, NC USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Victor M162S Clean Kill Mouse Trap, 2-Pack
Victor M162S Clean Kill Mouse Trap, 2-Pack
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked better than another similar trap, October 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of two different contain-the-mouse style of traps I've used, the other being a Tomcat brand trap. That one did not work particularly well for me, the traps broke easily when setting, and after catching a mouse you had to just throw the whole thing out. Once set though, they did catch the mice fairly well. This trap sets reasonably easily and I didn't break any in the process. It doesn't seem quite as effective as the TomCat snap traps I've used, but it did catch one mouse in my garage and I don't tend to have that many at any time (my cat isn't supposed to go out there, but I can usually tell when mice have moved in when he starts trying to sneak his way out there). I like that I don't have to see the dead mouse but can still easily dispose of it and reuse the trap. I'll have to use this for a full season in combination with some other traditional traps to really get a feel for how effective they are, but in my experience a couple different styles of traps always works best and so these definitely will have a place here as long as they are still catching the little critters.

Bushnell 6MP Trophy Cam Essential Trail Camera with Night Vision
Bushnell 6MP Trophy Cam Essential Trail Camera with Night Vision
Price: $109.00
83 used & new from $94.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Okay, but Pretty Crappy UI, October 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a typical style of trail camera which you can strap to a tree or post and load with batteries (4 or 8) and an SD card to capture photos or video by day (color) or night (B&W). I was testing it in my backyard to see what might be stealing from the bird feeder other than birds. Interestingly enough, only once did the birds actually trigger any photos, while there were a lot of false triggers from wind. I did capture one squirrel and plenty of shots of my own dogs in the yard, so there does seem to be a certain size needed for it to trigger regularly. The day shots were in general pretty good, although it definitely was not fast and sharp enough to get photos of my dogs running by the camera. Night shots were okay, nothing to brag about, but clear enough when there was something in view to identify it. I am going to try and use the camera as a simple security camera when I am away to keep an eye on things around the house.

The big negative for me with this is simply the user interface is pretty awful and very unintuitive. I had no idea if I even had the thing recording, and there is also no way to know for sure what you are capturing, to make sure you have it aimed properly. Only by taking out the card and viewing the photos will you know if it's shooting what you expect. Also consider that the camera does not include ANY SD card or batteries so you will need those to use it.

Discreet, Incontinence Pads, Ultimate, Long Length, 28 Count
Discreet, Incontinence Pads, Ultimate, Long Length, 28 Count
Price: $11.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Thick Pads for Maximum Protection, October 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These pads are the last step before going to a full brief, and are fairly large and thick. Having tried both, personally I prefer the brief, the pad is well attached and stays put better than in cotton panties, and there is nothing visible through your exterior clothes. But if this is your preference, it does a good job for what it is. The side protection is good and prevents leakage and the pads can absorb a considerable amount of liquid before having issues.

Classic Brands U-Shape Memory Foam Travel Pillow, Neck Pillow
Classic Brands U-Shape Memory Foam Travel Pillow, Neck Pillow
Offered by Mattress Firm Inc.
Price: $9.49
3 used & new from $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good travel pillow with some caveats., October 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a really nice travel pillow that gives a fairly solid amount of support, particularly compared to air filled ones. I liked using it as a passenger in the car on a long drive as well as for a recent air flight. Downsides are that you can't deflate it and pack it away, but it does have an elastic loop to attach to a carry on bag. Also, memory foam is not the most comfortable for everyone. It doesn't have a huge amount of give, it's fairly firm and it does tend to get hot over time if you fall asleep and are not moving around at all. Personally I don't mind this too much but I wish they used a good talalay latex foam instead which has a bit more give depending on its density and doesn't heat up either.

Discreet, Incontinence Underwear, Maximum Absorbency, Large, 17 Count
Discreet, Incontinence Underwear, Maximum Absorbency, Large, 17 Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Comfort, October 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are times when colitis from radiation treatments causes issues for me, particularly at night. But having tried other brands of disposable underwear I am all too aware of their limitations, particularly comfort as well as re-use. Depends brands I found scratchy and fairly uncomfortable and the pad was not well attached and often started to fall out even before a single day was up. I found these Always brand pants much more comfortable and long lasting to boot. The large size is a bit tight on me, being around a size 16/18 so the next size up might be better for me, but I'd rather they be a bit tight and less noticeable when worn in public than not.

BISSELL Prevent Boost Carpet Cleaning Formula Enhancer
BISSELL Prevent Boost Carpet Cleaning Formula Enhancer
Price: $11.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Prevent vs. Renew Boost, October 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I work from home in my living room, and between two dogs, a cat, and me all living and playing in that area most of the day, it gets pretty dirty very fast. As such I invested in my own full size Bissell carpet cleaner, which always gets up an amazing amount of dirt. Every now and again though we have a spill that stains my light colored carpet more than the cleaner can handle - coffee being one of the worst offenders. I've been using both the Prevent and the Renew Boost products, the Renew supposed helps bring high traffic areas "back to life" but not sure I've seen much improvement so far using it. It does seem like the Prevent though has helped with some of the more obvious stains, which appear to clean up easier than before. I will continue to use this product and hopefully see even more improvement over time.

Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Smart Stages Mower
Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Smart Stages Mower
Offered by JuJu's Emporium
Price: $22.75
12 used & new from $20.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute Mower but Not Tall Enough, October 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a really cute little lawn mower toy, with a variety of songs and phrases, a level that can be pulled up and down (as it says 'Up' and 'Down'!) and a gas cap that turns (and says 'Turn' of course!) As the toddler gets older, the mower can prompt for these activities, counting, etc. It's a nice combination of learning activities and pretend play with the mower.

What we didn't like was the angle and height of the handle on the mower, it's very low, too low for older toddlers, but younger toddlers who are just learning to walk get no stability at all from it, if anything it makes them even more likely to lose their balance. There are just so many other more well designed mower toys, like Little Tikes Gas 'n Go Mower that I'm not sure I can really highly recommend this one.

OXO Good Grips Slide and Lock Standing Caddy
OXO Good Grips Slide and Lock Standing Caddy
Price: $89.99
5 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very adjustable and sturdy caddy, October 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a really nice standing shower caddy, it's designed for a shower stall so I would not recommend using it for a tub/shower combination. It is very adjustable both the height of the two bottom shelves as well as some of the accessories, the feet, etc. The chrome is very attractive and should hold up well over time, the shelves although some plastic have good drainage, they probably will not stay clear for too long but are definitely higher quality than the cheap plastic caddy I had before. Not cheap but if you want a caddy that should last for years this would be a good one to look at.

Fisher-Price Roller Blocks Play Wall
Fisher-Price Roller Blocks Play Wall
Price: $24.99
18 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cascading ramp toy for young toddlers, October 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This toy is similar to many others that have ramps for items to cascade down. In this case it uses blocks and has one side with ramps and another side with pegs, giving toddlers a variety of ways to play with it. I don't expect it will keep older kids (3 and up) occupied as the blocks go down to the bottom way too quickly compared to similar toys, but for 1 year old and up it's a good toy that they will enjoy playing with and building up their dexterity in picking up the blocks and dropping them down. We liked that the blocks had cutouts to make them easier to pick up as well. I've just seen other similar toys that have a lot more ramps that are a bit more interesting over all.

Vega Sport Protein Bar Chocolate Coconut -- 12 Bars
Vega Sport Protein Bar Chocolate Coconut -- 12 Bars

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible taste, Concerns with use of Brown Rice, October 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't like to give product one-star reviews, but the taste and texture of these bars was just so terrible, it's hard for me to justify giving them anything more. A lot of protein bars don't taste particularly good, but these had a different kind of offending taste compared to most, and the chalky, rather dry and crumbly texture as well which is not unusual for gluten-free baked products but I just found really unpleasant compared with the taste. The coconut flavor was barely detectable, I was hoping for something that would be similar to having an almond joy in flavor, this was nowhere close.

Unfortunately even for people that really need to eat gluten free foods, there's another issue with these and that's the use of brown rice protein. I recently found out that brown rice has been found to have some of the highest arsenic levels in food, and manufacturers do not currently test or report it. As such, I prefer not to include it when doing gluten free baking and unless and until I know how much is found in these bars, I'm not sure I would want to eat them on any kind of regular basis.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20