Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Mary Jo Sminkey > Reviews

Browse

Mary Jo Sminkey's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1140

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary Jo Sminkey "15+ years of Amazon Reviews!" RSS Feed (Wake Forest, NC USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Art Bin Super Satchel Box with Removable Thread Trays
Art Bin Super Satchel Box with Removable Thread Trays
Price: $17.99
25 used & new from $17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Product Details says it works for 45mm spools...Not if you plan to use it for them primarily., February 11, 2016
If you use the 45mm spools, don't expect this box to be very good for storing them. You can fit them in somewhat by alternating them but the most annoying thing is the way there is JUST not quite enough room on the sides for them, so as a result, there's a LOT of wasted spaces where you can't put them. The trays aren't particularly form fitted up to the sides of the box, so it seems like they *could* have better designed it to get that extra space in there, they just didn't bother. It definitely seems best suited for the smallest spools, as the picture shows. Any larger spools you have to stagger to fit in. I will continue looking for a better storage solution but I may end up just making a custom insert myself as anything designed to hold lots of small spools like this just isn't going to work well for the 45mm ones.

Sterling Silver Oxidized Celtic Knot Dangle Earrings
Sterling Silver Oxidized Celtic Knot Dangle Earrings
Price: $18.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Design just doesn't stand out as much as I'd like but nice value for the price., February 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nice Celtic design sterling earrings. I wish they had a bit more elegance to them, they have an aged, tarnished look, the photo is fairly accurate in that respect, but it makes the design not stand out as much as I would have liked when you consider the size of earrings and viewing from any distance, it's hard to make out the design as a result. But nice earrings for a very good price.

LUNATEC's Aquabot is a high pressure multi-purpose water bottle with a personal mister, shower & water gun. Perfect for cleaning off, cooling off, water fights and hydrating. Super fun & functional.
Offered by Lunatec
Price: $28.00
2 used & new from $20.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, Extremely Unreliable, February 5, 2016
I bought two of these through Kickstarter, and find them incredibly difficult to keep working. One of them I've never been able to get to spray, the other one I could with a lot of effort sometimes get a spray out of, for a VERY short time, but the next time I'd go to use it and it would be dead again, and I would have to open it up and mess with the hosing again. From comments on the Kickstarter page, apparently this is very common if you do not use the bottle fairly regularly. I had intended them as a gift for my nephews, but they require such a high amount of maintenance, I couldn't hoist them on kids who certainly don't need bottles that must be so constantly maintained and fixed. I have used similar pump mechanisms for yard sprayers and NEVER had one as flakey as this, it's just a nightmare to deal with. They now lie in a closet unused.

VetIQ Minties Dental Treats for Dogs, Medium Size Dogs, 6 oz.
VetIQ Minties Dental Treats for Dogs, Medium Size Dogs, 6 oz.
Price: $5.99
8 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars As Good As Greenies - But Available Elsewhere for Half This Price, February 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I regularly give my dogs Greenies to help keep their teeth and breath clean, not sure how much they really do help, but my dogs do seem to really enjoy them although they consume them very fast. My young dog definitely has lovely clean teeth and hardly any doggie breath but she is an avid chewer and gets bully sticks and bones to chew on so hard to say how much is those and not the Greenies. My sheltie is a lot older and like many of that breed, always seems to have tartar issues, but it does seem to be *somewhat* better, that is, doesn't get as bad as fast. His breath doesn't seem particularly improved though. So, will the Minties do any better? These definitely impressed me as a Greenie replacement for the much shorter ingredient list, with WAY fewer chemicals, and more natural ingredients. They have a very strong minty smell which I thought might put my dogs off but they still wolfed them down. The bag only contained 6 bones which really isn't enough for me to seriously test them or compare them to the Greenies. I could however do some research and I found that these were originally marketed as "half the price" of other dental bones....yet they seem to be the same price as Greenies here on Amazon. Turns out, these are commonly sold at a large national chain for half the price they are sold here at Amazon! That a pretty hefty markup for Amazon customers and for that reason alone, I'm dinging them 2 stars.

So by all means, if you use Greenies, consider giving these a try. But buy them at your local store, and don't pay the high prices they are listed for here.

Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation
Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation
Offered by Puremobile
Price: Click here to see our price
51 used & new from $199.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy Setup and Great Display - Too Bad it Won't Display the Information I Want!, January 31, 2016
This was my first time installing a thermostat myself but I have to give the Nest kudos for stepping me through all the steps and making the install very simple, it will depend a bit on your system but for me it was a pretty easy process, with just a few wires to hook up, my wires weren't labeled so I just made sure to label them before unhooking from my previous system and I was all set. The Nest then steps you through all the rest of the setup itself, and is pretty intuitive to use. Even things like going into the scheduler to remove a time when I turned the heat way up to test it was very easy to figure out.

There's a lot I like about this thermostat including the large display that comes on when you approach it, this seems to work very well and I've never had issues with it coming on, and the display is bright and the colors and icons helpful to see the current status. However, there's two major issues I have with it, which are the same that MANY users have reported. One is that there is no way to tell it to display the current temperature as the primary display, only the set temperature. A reply from a company rep about this complaint that apparently users have been making for YEARS is "We chose the Nest's set temperature for the display because we think that's the most important information for a thermostat". In other words, you dumb customers don't know what you like, and we're going to force our own opinion on you. In spite of hundreds, it not, thousands, of complaints about this, negative reviews, not to mention every other thermostat out there including the ability to prominently display the current temperature. Why Nest refuses to at least give customers an OPTION to display the current temperature in the center is a mystery, but they definitely are losing sales because of it. While I can live with it for this one Nest that I bought as I have another device downstairs that gives me the temperature, when I am ready to replace my thermostat upstairs with a Wifi one, it WON'T be a Nest unless they have corrected this very simple and obvious UI problem.

The other problem is the tolerance used for when the device goes on and off. Now, I understand this is for energy savings, and that turning on and off based on the exact setting is not ideal. However, it would be far better to have a tolerance setting that is user configurable. In fact, ideal would be to have it part of the schedule even (since I can tolerate wide swings a lot more at night or when I am not home at all) but I'd take a global setting at least, and ideally one that is configurable both for under and over temp. The range used by the Nest is a bit wide for my liking, but just changing the temperature setting doesn't help much since I still end up being uncomfortable at one extreme or the other. I definitely will pay attention to this issue when selecting my next thermostat and one that lets me configure the tolerance setting is definitely going to get my interest, but at least one that isn't such a wide swing if it doesn't will be preferable.

Overall, this is really a nice device in so many ways, but when a company refuses to listen to feedback from large numbers of customers, that's a problem. This is not just an issue for me with this device, but it makes me less inclined to even look at purchasing anything else from their entire line of products.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2016 2:59 PM PST

TP-LINK HS110 Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring, Wi-Fi Enabled, Turn On/Off Your Electronics from Anywhere, Remote Control for your Lamp, Humidifier, Space Heater and more
Price: $39.90
40 used & new from $25.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Smart Plug Works Okay - But NOT With the Echo, January 31, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this with hopes of using it with my Amazon Echo, something it's specifically advertised for. I ran into some issues getting it set up when my iPhone wouldn't see its Wifi to configure it, but this seems to be something wrong with my iPhone and not the Smart Plug as I was able to configure it without a problem on my iPad instead.

However, when it comes to using it with the Echo, it's a complete fail. I configured it as the instructions say, and enabled "Kasa" in the Alexa app, but when I tell the Echo to find my Kasa devices, it just comes up blank every time. From the reviews of the Kasa app in Alexa, it seems that this is a very common problem, and even if it finds your devices, getting the vocal recognition to work reliably for them is equally frustrating. So if getting a smart plug to work with Alexa is your reason for buying this, I'd suggest you just keep on looking.

Cabochon Women's CABOCHON-80418-02S Joya Analog Display Quartz Silver Watch
Cabochon Women's CABOCHON-80418-02S Joya Analog Display Quartz Silver Watch
Price: $109.99
2 used & new from $109.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Design Flaws and Issues for Me, January 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received this watch to review through the Vine program but I try to always judge items on how I would feel as a customer if I had paid for them. And I have a number of issues with this watch. First, as other reviewers have mentioned, the instruction book included does not have the right instructions for this watch! Now I consider myself a fairly good problem solver, and I guessed that to set the time involved the indentations on the back of the watch but I still didn't hit on the exact method without help from other reviewers. I really hate this new trend for watch companies to provide a single manual for their entire line of watches, such that you have to figure out which ones apply to your particular watch. It's not helpful to the customer, just a way to save money for the company. But then to provide one that doesn't even have the RIGHT ones included....well, it shows a lack of customer service that I find rather concerning, should I need help with the watch in the future.

The reason why this watch isn't in the manual is that it doesn't have the normal method of changing time on a quartz watch, where you have a button (the crown) to pull out. You have to insert something like a paper clip in the back to change it. And that's part of my dislike for this watch. Who the days, with our digital world, uses paper clips that often or has them on hand all the time? I had to really hunt around my house to find something I could use. If you travel frequently and need to change your watch for new time zones, you will probably find yourself having to carry something just to fix your watch. To have a watch that cannot be adjusted without some external object is just REALLY poor design IMO.

Similarly I'm not fond of watch bands that need a jeweler to adjust. That's fine if you actually BUY it at the jeweler, but if you buy from Amazon, keep in mind that you may have pay a jeweler to adjust it. And they are often not willing at all to adjust a watch brand they don't carry themselves. Good luck finding an "Authorized Cabochon Dealer" to adjust your watch as the manual requires, should the watch get damaged in any way, you're out of luck. When buying online, I try to get watch band styles that you can easily adjust the length on at home, typically with a sliding clasp.

In addition, I don't care for the watch band design itself, it has a strip of metal that sits under the band where it snaps shut. I did not find this comfortable at all, compared to similar watches like the Invicta watches I have used, that have a flat, smooth band all the way around. Particularly when I am actively doing things that cause my wrist to flex, the ends of this bite into my skin. It is a clasp that is very easy to put on yourself, but this is too much of a negative for me to offset that.

Finally, be aware that this watch does not have ANYTHING other than hour and minute hands. No date feature, not even a second hand (which on my computer, the photo definitely looks like it does, but if you zoom in closer, you will see that is the crystals just lined up in a row). When I first opened it up I thought the battery was dead until I realized it had been so long since I'd seen a watch without a second hand that it looked like it wasn't moving. I personally need a watch with at least a second hand on it and ideally the date as well. If I'm going to get a watch that doesn't have a second hand, a date, or a crown to change the time, I would be getting a ladies watch that is MUCH smaller, prettier and delicate looking, this watch has some sparkle with the crystals but its still far too large and cumbersome a watch for me to wear as a dress watch. The "floating" gems don't even float, they jerkily move only as you move the watch a significant amount, and then they all roll down to the same spot together instead of being spread out in a more attractive arrangement. it's kind of a silly feature and just makes the watch unnecessarily larger, but I guess if you are often in situations like meetings where you need something to entertain yourself with, maybe it would come in use then. As an everyday watch, it too overpriced, not particularly comfortable and lacking features I would want, and I would have a hard time recommending it to someone unless they are particularly taken with the whole moving gems feature on it.

100% Natural Sleep Support - Extra Strength Nighttime Sleep Aid Supplement - 60 Vegetarian Non-Habit Forming Capsules With Melatonin, L-Taurine, L-Theanine & 5-HTP - Pills for Deep & Restful Sleeping
Offered by Zenwise Health
Price: $49.95
2 used & new from $17.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Sick to my Stomach, January 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not sure what in this product didn't agree with me, but I took the recommend two tablets before going to bed and within half an hour, I was nauseous and got sick to my stomach. I was 100% it was the cause so in the interest of being fair, I did try again another night, only 1 tablet this time, and I still felt very nauseous afterwards. I've taken melatonin on its own before without issue so not sure what is in this that bothers me but I definitely won't be trying it a third time.

Walkers Shortbread Chocolate Scottie Dogs Shortbread, 3.9 oz.
Walkers Shortbread Chocolate Scottie Dogs Shortbread, 3.9 oz.
Price: $4.19
10 used & new from $4.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Taste but at a Premium Price... Especially for Cookies that Tend to Arrive In Pieces, January 27, 2016
Yum, I love Walkers Shortbread and these chocolate scotties are one of my favorites. However, they charge a premium price on all the Sootty shaped cookies which is frustrating because I don't really care about the shape, but I haven't been able find the chocolate in any other type of Walker shortbread. And as other reviewers have mentioned, they seem to be very prone to breakage, I've ordered them a couple times and one was in pieces, while the other arrived okay. So if you are looking to get them just for snacking on, no problem, but for gifting, don't count on them being in one piece.

Bloxsun Sun Glove, Medium /Large
Bloxsun Sun Glove, Medium /Large
Price: $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Sunburn Protection When Driving or For Photography, January 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These fit my hands nicely, they stretch well without feeling tight and I like the natural color so they aren't too obvious that you have them on. I am very fair skinned and burn easily so they will be nice to have when driving in bright sun, or when I'm out and particularly when I'm shooting photos, as I don't like to use suntan lotion on my hands when I need to be holding my camera. The grip on them is okay, not great, I don't know how well it would work for sports like tennis where you need a really good grip on something. The tips appear to just be cut off without any additional protection for the fabric on the ends, so will have to see how they do overtime or if some fraying occurs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20