Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Elaine > Reviews

Browse

Elaine's Profile

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elaine RSS Feed (Timpson, TX, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Kyocera DuraForce Armband, J&D Sports Armband for Kyocera DuraForce, Key holder Slot, Perfect Earphone Connection while Workout Running - Black
Offered by J&D Tech
Price: $8.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Kyocera DuraForce, May 19, 2016
I figured I'd take a risk on a product with no reviews since it's hard to find an armband made specifically for my phone, and the phone appearing in the product photos does appear to be a DuraForce. Big mistake. There's a good inch of extra space around the sides of my phone when it's inside this thing. The best thing I can say about the product is that it comes with a little card reminding you to write a review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale w/ 400 lb. Capacity & Auto Recognition Technology
Offered by EatSmart Products
Price: $69.95
7 used & new from $42.45

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY inaccurate body-fat measurement, May 19, 2016
This is a nice scale for basic weight tracking. But the body fat measurement is way, way off...expect a rude awakening if you're using this scale and then go get your body fat measured for reals! . I've been tracking mine for a month or two on the scale, and it was consistently around 23% Not bad, right? Then I went to get my body composition analyzed at a sports medicine center using one of those Bod Pods. 31.9%!!!!!!!!! PORKER!!!!!!! Came home, got on the scale again: 23%. Maybe it works better on men.

So basically, don't let this scale lure you into a false complacency about what your body fat is. Go ahead and add 9% to whatever it tells you.

Amazon Fire TV Stick
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Price: $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars WHY IS THERE NO BROWSER AMAZON?, June 10, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
I'm a sucker for specs, so even though I got my Fire Stick free with my Sling subscription, I probably would have picked this one over Roku or Chromecast anyway. After two months of daily use, I have run into few problems: the stick was easy to connect to my wifi, and it's only lost the connection twice (on the same day, so the problem was probably with my internet). The remote takes a bit of getting used to...the command to exit out of a show without exiting the app should be more intuitive.

My big complaint is that there is no available browser, so my use of the Fire stick is limited to videos that have apps on amazon. The yoga website I subscribe to, for example, doesn't have an app on amazon, and they don't put their subscriber vids on youtube, so I still have to plug in my computer to do yoga videos on TV. That just seems silly: there's even a dedicated browser for Kindle Fire, so why isn't it on Fire Stick? Better yet, why aren't Google apps (Chrome, Calendar, etc) available for Amazon devices? I expect that Amazon wants to coerce customers to stick with Amazon services (shocker!!), but I don't like buying devices that limit the choices of the consumer in order to promote proprietary services (Hi Apple! :D). My annoyance with this limitation will probably make me replace this Fire Stick eventually with a device that has a web browser. Incidentally, because of this I've also decided to get a Android tablet instead of a Kindle Fire.

Ello Percy BPA-Free Glass Water Bottle with Stopper, Coral, 22 oz.
Ello Percy BPA-Free Glass Water Bottle with Stopper, Coral, 22 oz.
Price: $13.99
3 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars RIP cool bottle :(, August 20, 2014
I loved this bottle. For about 16 hours. It didn't leak or drip, it isn't heavy, it goes in the dishwasher, and, best of all, no weird plastic or metal taste. That stopper is great.

Then it slipped out of my hand and shattered on my vinyl kitchen floor. It may have been weakened by the fact that I had dropped it 30 minutes earlier onto my hardwood. The condensation caused by a hot Texas summer and cold water made it really slippery, even though I was mindful of grabbing the little sleeve. And that sleeve IS little, and the glass is super-smooth.

Okay, I'm clumsy. But this would be a 5-star bottle, even for clumsy people, if more thought had been put into improving the grippability here. Maybe more textured glass, or a bigger sleeve.

Best Home Fashion Non-Adhesive Frosted Privacy Window Film, 3 by 6.5-Feet, White
Price: $22.61
6 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It creases too easily, July 21, 2014
This film was okay to install and wasn't hard to cut with a sharp boxcutter. I did what the instructions said and left an inch of excess and trimmed after installation, and it worked and looks pretty good.

The main problem here is that the material itself creases and crinkles EASILY, and once it's creased, the creases don't squeegee out, unless there's some trick to it I don't get. Note: the film is smooth and flat against the window...there are no longer any actual wrinkles or bubbles. But the marks that formed as I was trying to get it installed are visible from the inside and outside of the door. I took it off once and reapplied in case I didn't use enough water or something, and the marks are still there in the same place, plus some extra ones. I wouldn't buy this again.

Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews, Small Dog, 30 Count
Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews, Small Dog, 30 Count
Price: $7.99
45 used & new from $3.70

4.0 out of 5 stars My vet recommended these, and they do seem to really help ..., July 12, 2014
My vet recommended these, and they do seem to really help my dog's teeth and breath. The only problem is that one of my dogs doesn't like them. He won't eat it at all: he just drops it on the ground like it's not food.

How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain
How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a dog story, April 27, 2014
As other reviewers have said, this book is mostly about how the researchers designed the study, trained the dogs, overcame flaws in the design of the study, and interpreted the results: it's not a feel-good descriptions of what dogs feel about their pet parents. But it's also not a dry scholarly discussion, as Berns writes with a readable and entertaining style and intersperses all the sciencey stuff with stories about his dogs and his family's relationships with them.

The reason that there isn't a whole lot of discussion of the results is that this Dog Project, as Berns and his team call it, is still in its infancy. This project is the first time people have been able to map canine brain activity while the dogs were awake, so the team is forging new ground at every step, like when they realized that dogs' brains responded the same to a treat regardless of whether it was a pea or a fragment of hot dog! The study also is limited by how few dogs--so far--have been trained to sit still in an MRI, so there isn't a big enough sample size yet to draw sweeping conclusions.

Berns points out that the team's research question,How do dogs love us?--and the subsidiary question, do they really LOVE us or do they just appreciate the provider of food and belly rubs?--is one that most dog owners don't really need to know the answer to: we know our dogs love us! :D This book is more about the Dog Project's attempt to demonstrate what goes on in dogs' brains, motivated in part by the desire to gain evidence that dogs are sentient beings and that our First Friend should not be bred in droves or mistreated in the service of science.

If you're interested in learning about the structure of a dog's brain and how it responds to various stimuli, or if you're fascinated by little tidbits of discoveries like what happens in a dog's brain when it smells a stranger's sweat, or if you enjoy reading about scientific research, this book is worth reading. But if you just want the results of the study, Google it and find an article (there are quite a few out there). I personally was fascinated by learning what we know about dogs' brains and minds, how we know it, and why it matters.

Jacob's Coffee Jacobs Cronat Gold Instant, 7.05-Ounce (Pack of 2)
Jacob's Coffee Jacobs Cronat Gold Instant, 7.05-Ounce (Pack of 2)
Offered by TheNewMall
Price: $26.01
8 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Starbucks, April 7, 2014
My husband is from Europe and now works at Starbucks, and Jacobs instant is the only non-espresso coffee he will willingly drink. And Amazon's price is the best I've found.

I've gotten to where I won't even bother with any other coffee at home: why bother to buy and grind beans and brew coffee when this is almost as good (and way, way better than single-serve brews)?

Safer Brand Caterpillar Killer with BT, 8 Ounce Concentrate
Safer Brand Caterpillar Killer with BT, 8 Ounce Concentrate
Offered by Hydro Galaxy
Price: $18.29
8 used & new from $15.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not organic, but it WORKS, July 1, 2013
This product is not OMRI certified, so next time I buy I will get the Safer caterpillar dust, which is. But this stuff does work well, and FAST. I sprayed my tomatoes last night, and this morning caterpillars were hanging off my plants. I felt kinda sorry for them...but not really :D

Convenience Concepts Northfield 3-Tier Bookshelf, Brown
Convenience Concepts Northfield 3-Tier Bookshelf, Brown
Price: $114.61
5 used & new from $114.61

4.0 out of 5 stars A great deal from Amazon Warehouse, May 10, 2013
I was excited to see a used/returned bookshelf available for less than half price, so I snapped it up. I inspected the pieces of the bookshelf when they arrived, and there was one larger chip (maybe the size of a nickle) that would be easy to paint over, and a couple of tiny worn-looking placed that no one would ever notice. The pieces themselves are heavy and high-quality. The cam screw used to put it together are very sturdy compared to what you get with furniture from Tar-mart or certain scandinavian showrooms. The instructions are extremely clear, and assembly was proving to be super-easy and fast. For about half an hour I was congratulating myself on a brilliant, $80-saving purchase.

And then I tried to push the top of the shelf on. I don't know if some of the holes were in the wrong place or if somehow I'd assembled it a bit off-kilter, but the dowels ad cam screws would not all go in their allotted holes. I cajoled and pressed and wiggled, but there was no budging. I finally lost my temper and bashed it with a hammer. That only worked because it brought my husband in to see what I was doing, and with the two of us we managed it. He had to use all his strength to push and force the top into the right place while I tightened the cams. Now the shelf is as sturdy and stable as can be, except for the hammer-hole on top that I have to conceal with a strategically-placed decorative box.

Anyway, all rage aside, this is a great shelf, sturdy and aesthetically pleasing. I think mine was a bit defective, but I saved $80 by buying one that someone else returned. So I guess the upshot is that if you are a patient and tolerant person, go ahead and save money by getting a return from Amazon Warehouse. If you're a hot-tempered Texan, better buy the new one and save yourself the annoyance of any potential defects.

Page: 1 | 2