Profile for M. Shaffer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Shaffer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Elmwood Inn Fine Teas, Wild Cherry Black Tea, 16-Ounce Pouch
Elmwood Inn Fine Teas, Wild Cherry Black Tea, 16-Ounce Pouch
Price: $21.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Cherry Tea, March 9, 2014
I used to buy Wild Cherry Tea at a mall kiosk years ago, but then they stopped carrying it. When I saw this suggestion pop up, I had to order, and my old friend was back!

NOW Foods Sweet Almond Oil, Moisturizing Oil, 16 ounce
NOW Foods Sweet Almond Oil, Moisturizing Oil, 16 ounce
Offered by DailyVita
Price: $11.92
43 used & new from $7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry skin salvation, March 9, 2014
Every winter during heating season, my hands die. My forearms are starting to look horrible too during the winter. This is a great natural moisturizer.

Faux Fur Long Pile DELUXE BEAVER Stripes Fabric / 5 YARD
Faux Fur Long Pile DELUXE BEAVER Stripes Fabric / 5 YARD
Offered by FABRIC EMPIRE
Price: $103.50
2 used & new from $103.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality at a great price, March 9, 2014
This Faux Fur Long Pile DELUXE BEAVER Stripes Fabric is great quality at a great price. The fur is shiny--not matte and woolly. I looks like real fur.

Sub Zero with Cats Claw 3.00 Oz Roll-On 3/Pack = 3 Count
Sub Zero with Cats Claw 3.00 Oz Roll-On 3/Pack = 3 Count
Offered by The Family & Pet Apothecary
Price: $14.89
9 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, July 20, 2013
I bought Biofreeze at my doctor's office. This is better at 1/2 the price. I think it may also repel insects. I ran out of deet, but I figured that my mosquito plant was doing the job. But then, I went out without Sub-Zero on, and I had a few nibbles. Bonus.

Point Presser with Clapper
Point Presser with Clapper
Offered by Shop Smartisans
Price: $34.99
2 used & new from $34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars You have got to be kidding., June 15, 2013
This review is from: Point Presser with Clapper
You have got to be kidding. 40 bucks for this little piece of nothing. I could whip this up in an hour in my wood-shop. In fact, I think that's exactly what I will do. Now I am curious just how long this will take.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 6:26 PM PDT

Oval Lens Polarized Sunglasses Goggles Burgundy w Elastic Strap for Men
Oval Lens Polarized Sunglasses Goggles Burgundy w Elastic Strap for Men

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, September 23, 2012
These are the perfect sunglasses for an active lifestyle--swimming, water parks, gardening. If there is a way to unhook the strap, I haven't found it.

Darwin: The Voyage That Shook the World
Darwin: The Voyage That Shook the World
DVD ~ Na
Offered by Praise Shop
Price: $12.00
26 used & new from $5.26

1.0 out of 5 stars Propaganda piece, September 23, 2012
When the disk first started I saw "Creation Ministries International" flash across the screen. Huh? What? At first I thought this was an examination of Darwin's influence on the philosophical world, Then I thought this might be an examination of the Darwin vs. ID people. But as the commentators became more fanciful and convoluted in their rhetorical back flips, I found myself reaching for Occam's Razor. Indeed, the extra material rips the face mask off-all of these commentators are Intelligent Design apologists. Throughout the "documentary" these commentators ascribe thoughts to Darwin, that I have never heard before; the extra material makes clear that this is just tea leaf reading-the same sort of thinking that they use to interpret the mind-of-god when reading the bible. This more than anything proves that faith is no substitute for facts.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2013 11:15 AM PDT

Insignia NS-P5113 Portable CD Player with FM Tuner and MP3 Playback, Black
Insignia NS-P5113 Portable CD Player with FM Tuner and MP3 Playback, Black
Offered by SupplyShelf
Price: $74.89
8 used & new from $60.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Total POS, July 21, 2012
First of all, half of the buttons did nothing--no way to pause in mid disk. I had to remember what track I was last at. Finally it developed a squeal and started dragging and skipping. As I said, total POS.

Instructions for parish priests
Instructions for parish priests
by John Mirk
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars John Mirk fl. 1390-c. 1414 touched my life and I shoved back!, June 2, 2012
"Children should be seen and not heard," my peasant Italian mother said to me one day.

"What does that even mean," I asked. "That makes no sense." I was at about eight when she said this, so I pointed out that I learned to talk years ago; so if I were to be seen and not heard, at what age should I be expected to be heard from?

She had no logical polemic to offer, so she just repeated "Children should be seen and not heard."

"Mom, you're not making any sense."

My dad was present, but he said not a word, but I have a feeling that he took it all in.

I shrugged this platitude off as something from the Italian countryside that lost volumes in the translation. I also know that it infuriated me; it was insulting-presuming that I had nothing of value to offer because I was a child.

Oh, but it's even worse than that. Now in my 50's, I decided to Google this sentence and found that it is from the writings of a Medieval English priest John Mirk (flourished 1390-c. 1414) who wrote advice to parish priests. And in the original, it was not "child" but "maiden"-sexism at its root origin! So the time-line of when I could be heard from again was never, for, in Mirk's world, once a maid married then her tongue could only agree with her husband-never to have a voice of her own.

I sing the praises of Google. I urge all to unravel such troublesome utterances from childhood; you may be shocked to see from where they emanate!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2012 2:39 PM PDT

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (25th Anniversary Edition)
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (25th Anniversary Edition)
DVD ~ Jerry Anderson
19 used & new from $34.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheesiest Movie Ever! And there's nothing wrong with that, if it makes you laugh your gaboons off. Some of the bits are on the, October 20, 2010
Cheesiest Movie Ever! And there's nothing wrong with that, if it makes you laugh your gaboons off. Some of the bits are on the lame side. (Mason Dixon's sidekick was my least favorite character.) But with the fast pace of the film, another bit will be along in a minute. I do not know how I missed this in theaters, but every time I saw clips, I thought they were hysterical. I finally got the DVD, and it was worth some solid laughs.

I was surprised that there was minimal additional material-only the trailer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 4:28 PM PDT