Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Amazon Cash Back Offer Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for southernarc > Reviews

Browse

southernarc's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

southernarc RSS Feed (NC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sterling Silver Cross Pendant Necklace, 20"
Sterling Silver Cross Pendant Necklace, 20"

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware: does not look like the picture, September 29, 2014
I'd describe this cross as "rugged" looking. It is not symmetrical, with the horizontal beam slightly flared larger on one side than on the other. Plus you can see where the beam's horizontal pieces are spot welded onto the vertical beam, although it is well done (they don't stand out unless you examine closely).

At first I wasn't sure that I liked it.

Then after some thought, I realized that I liked the weight, the size, and the quality of the silver. It was just that the cross appears "rugged" in it's symmetry, rather than a perfect symmetrical cross. Then I realized that probably our Lord didn't give up his life on a perfect cross either. So this cross is now mine and I embrace it for all of it's individuality.

Given the choice of knowing what I know now, I'm pretty sure I would have ordered it anyway. It's still a good value at $70 and nobody is going to look at it and think "cheap looking".

FYI I ordered the "2mm Sterling Silver 20" Diamond-cut Rope Chain Necklace" (by Silver Insanity) along with this and am extremely pleased with the chain (and you can read my review of it).

Zinc Oxide Ointment by Rugby - 1 Lb
Zinc Oxide Ointment by Rugby - 1 Lb
Offered by A-To-Z Direct
Price: $11.05
19 used & new from $7.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective as a SAFE deodorant!, September 29, 2014
This 20% Zinc Oxide ointment has no added perfume to it, nor does it use any fish oil. So it's odorless. Exactly what I was looking for because I use this Zinc as an underarm deodorant (Zinc prevents the formation of bacteria).

I've tried 40% ZnO at the pharmacies and you can't find one that doesn't have fish oil in it, plus they are expensive. I found a 20% ZnO at CVS which was odorless and tried it for a few months to test it's effectiveness. It worked well, almost as well as the 40% stuff only you had to use it slightly more often (about every 3-4 days after showering instead of around 7 days). So I went searching for a quantity discount and came to Amazon.

Bow hunters have been using ZnO on their underarms for years. This is the basically same stuff you buy but at a fraction of the cost. It takes about a day to be absorbed, but Zinc is actually GOOD for you, as opposed to the aluminum products that are traditionally used in deodorants/antiperspirants.

2mm Sterling Silver 20" Diamond-cut Rope Chain Necklace
2mm Sterling Silver 20" Diamond-cut Rope Chain Necklace
Offered by Silver Insanity
Price: $14.99
3 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be more pleased!, September 29, 2014
Excellent quality, great looks (yes, it's very shiny as the design reflects the light very well), great functionality (it doesn't tug at your chest hair), appears to be very durable, not too thick as to be gaudy looking, secure clasp, and all at a killer price. In a nutshell, it's perfect!

All Metal Heavyweight Chrome ATRA Compatible Twin Blade Razor & 10 Personna Pivot Plus Blades
Offered by Super Safety Razors
Price: $25.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Do your face a favor, August 21, 2014
My 15 year old ATRA razor began to fail, was getting a lot of nicks and cuts. Finally the locking pins would not lock the blade in place and then the long, painful search began. I checked store after store, only to find replacement blades but no razor anywhere. So I went to my tried and true gofer, Amazon. I really didn't want to pay $25, but considering I can still find a pack of 10 ATRA compatible blades at Family Dollar for $2.00 I knew I had go get a quality replacement, not just to save money, also because I don't buy into the scam razors with 3, 4, 5, or even 6 blades. After using this great product for a few weeks, I'm convinced it's worth every penny and anything more than a twin blade is a scam. I've never had closer, smoother shaves in my life. It's almost a pleasure again shaving in the morning; well, at least I love the results!

I've been trying to figure out WHY this razor delivers such a smooth, close shave. I'm guessing it's because the metal locking pins firmly hold the blade in place, so it doesn't slide around on your face and wind up cutting you while you're shaving. Clearly a 5 star purchase in terms of function, value, and aesthetics.

Wahl Home Barber Kit #79524-3001
Wahl Home Barber Kit #79524-3001
Price: $41.99
22 used & new from $41.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought this kit years ago, February 13, 2012
I've never cut my own hair before so needless to say, I was concerned about how it would come out. I used this kit the other day for the first time and I was very pleased with the results. My haircut came out balanced, very decent actually, although a bit short and it took some time because I was unfamiliar with the process. Yet it looks as good as the cuts I've been getting at Great Clips; the hairs are cut cleanly, not having jagged ends. I'm sure with practice I'll get a lot better, so along with saving money and time on cuts, I'll be able to get (and more importantly maintain) the look I want.

Highlights: This product is an EXCELLENT value at $40. The clipper is powerful yet amazingly quiet, a lot quieter than the clipper I'm used to when I frequented professionals. The thumb-adjustable taper control on the clipper is a big plus. The 2 AA trimmer works great and is more powerful than my Norelco beard trimmer which I've been using that uses 3 AA's. The personal trimmer works great and you shouldn't be afraid to use it in delicate areas because it does indeed cut, not pull, and it is indeed safe. You can change heads on the trimmer easily, and the fact that it uses only 1 AA battery is a plus as well.

I recommend getting the 1.25" and 1.5" guide combs along with this kit. Sold separately.

Hair Cutting Tip (for do it yourself guys): For a finishing touch, place a long piece of thin masking tape on the back of your hair, at the bottom where you want to **square off** your hairline. Use mirrors to help with the positioning, making sure the tape is perfectly horizontal. Then using the trimmer you can go right up to the tape while trimming away the unwanted hair. This will remove all your neck hair and will square off your hairline without even having to use any mirrors at this point. It works great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I'll address some of the concerns about the kit that I've read here on Amazon:

- Who cares if reflective plastic is used? The clippers work great and to get actual chrome the kit would cost a LOT more.
- The product description DOES tell you that you get guide combs up to 1". Somebody didn't read that obviously.
- OK, the scissors are not great. That's not a good enough reason to downgrade the review to 4 stars.
- Somebody mentioned that they would like rechargeable batteries and awarded a 4 star review because of that. LOL I guess they never heard of rechargeable AA batteries.
- The cape works just fine and if the velcro detaches there's a simple fix: Crazy glue
- So what if the bottle of oil included is small? Any regular all purpose tool oil will work just fine, there's nothing special about the oil.
- Somebody complained that they couldn't register the kit online. That's funny, I had NO PROBLEM registering the kit, Product #79524-3001 which will register the clipper, trimmer, and personal trimmer all at once.
- Somebody wanted videos. You can watch instructional videos on the Wahl website, as well as download their instructional and supplemental pdf's.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
UPDATE June 15, 2012: I've been using this kit for four months now. My haircuts are actually *better* and more *consistent* than what I was paying $15 for at Great Clips. I would tell them "rounded and full up top, short and tapering on the sides". What I usually got was an uneven top which wasn't blended well with the sides. Now I can do that myself with this kit and I can do the entire cut in less than 40 minutes (total time including cleanup).

Bottom line: Using this kit is just like combing your hair. That's the only skill. The trick is to know *how* to do this effectively. Just take notes and refer/update them with every cut. Once you get the hang of this you'll be amazed at how well your cuts turn out.

Finally, the kit is holding up well, with no problems.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2015 9:12 AM PDT

Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper, 12-Cup, White
Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper, 12-Cup, White
Price: $8.15
33 used & new from $6.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's a GREAT, UNIQUE tip that is sure to work!, November 19, 2011
FIRST OF ALL, notice this is an "Amazon Verified Purchase"? That should go a long way in trusting the reviewer. Furthermore, for the record, I do not believe the reviews that claim this products "cracks" once it's used. I've been using Nordic Ware for years and never had any crack from use. If you drop them, that's a different story. Now on to the review!

REVIEW:

I've used this product every day, experimenting with it for several months on how to produce the best popcorn. I've stumbled across something and thought I'd share it here. You won't find this tip anywhere else on the internet.

This tip is for **air popping**, not for popping in oil.

I purchased a 2.9 cup capacity Rubbermaid (microwave safe) food storage container from Walmart to use for propping up the Nordic Ware. Someone had suggested raising the bowl from bottom of the microwave. But here's the new trick: add 2 measured teaspoons of water to the storage container. Then place the NW inside the container (not using the lid for this trick) where it will then sit, raised up about 1/2" from the bottom. This works because the sides of the NW bowl curve outward and this particular size of Rubbermaid container keeps the NW propped up at the perfect height.

You won't believe how much *puffier* your kernels will pop, and *more* will pop as well, compared to your regular method.

Here's why it works. Microwaves work by heating the water/moisture content in your foods. So by adding some water like this (but keeping it separated from the popcorn) the microwave must heat both the water and the kernels at the same time. This extends the time that the kernels will be heated before they pop. I believe this allows them time to heat more uniformly, and when they pop they really explode in all directions, creating a *puffier* popcorn. I've noticed that without using this water trick that the kernels will start popping after 30 seconds, but with the water they start at about 1 minute. It takes a little longer to pop all the corn with this trick, but just look at the payoff.

I am positive this trick will also pop *more* of your kernels. I think it works because the steam that is produced by the evaporating water helps to heat the bowl, more so, and more uniform than usual. Remember, this is just a bowl, without a microwave susceptor, so the bowl is only getting hot because the kernels are getting hot first. You can see this for yourself by heating the bowl empty for 20 seconds; it doesn't get the least bit hot (but never run your microwave for more than a minute without something to zap, as your magnetron will overheat and may become damaged). I believe the steam heat helps to pop the corn better.

I've also found that the popcorn is not scorched (slightly brown) as bad, if any at all, by using this method. Probably because at the end of this process when most of the kernels are popped, now instead of the microwaves being directed to the moist, fresh popped corn directly, the microwaves are more dispersed, still going towards heating the water in the container.

Anyway, whatever is going on, THIS WORKS!

I also suggest using the "Popcorn" setting on your microwave. This enables your microwave to use 100% full power the *entire time* it's operating. Microwaves cycle when using the "cook time" setting, alternating between power on and power off with the magnetron, so using the "cook time" feature does not work as well as a "Popcorn" setting (I've tested this as well).

For this tip/review, I used a GE, 950 watt, 1 cubic foot sized (stove mounted) microwave, popcorn setting, turntable on, along with the Rubbermaid container with 2 measured teaspoons of water, for about 3 minutes, 18 seconds for 4 tablespoons of Fireworks Red River Popcorn. Yes there's still some unpopped kernels (about 10) with this corn, which happens to be a real challenge for *any* microwave popper (Orville's White pops almost completely with this method). No problem, I just put the popcorn in a regular, oversized plastic bowl and return the unpopped kernels into the microwave, now just using the NW without the steam container, for another minute to pop the rest. No big deal and it wastes less of your favorite corn this way.

If you're spaying ICBINB or misting olive oil and applying a topping which needs to be stirred, you'll want to use a larger bowl anyway so you can stir things around without having the popcorn fly out of the bowl. I use a plastic 'pasta fork' to stir around the popcorn which works really well. The NW is just too small for mixing purposes.

For your particular microwave, you may have to add an extra teaspoon of water it your power is a lot higher; if your power is a lot lower than 950 Watts perhaps 1 teaspoon will work better. Experiment to find the best results for your microwave.

Why do I rate this a 4 and not a 5? Because if this bowl had a built in susceptor at the bottom of the bowl it would clearly work better without the use of this kind of trick. But that would also add to the cost. Overall, with this container + water trick, I'm quite pleased with this popper and I like it so much that I purchased another one at Target ($8.99) just in case this one breaks or I've got company.

You can see my passion for popcorn. I hope this review has helped you enjoy yours more!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2014 11:20 AM PST

Fireworks Popcorn Wisconsin White Birch Popcorn, 15-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6)
Fireworks Popcorn Wisconsin White Birch Popcorn, 15-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6)
Offered by Flutter Hut
Price: $39.76
3 used & new from $39.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Good flavor and very crunchy, November 8, 2011
I tried this brand and this variety due to the reviews here on Amazon. I really like this popcorn, but honestly it's difficult for me say that this is much better than Orville Redenbacher White (a big favorite of mine) in terms of flavor. I would have to say that it has *slightly* better flavor. The kernels pop up small as others have stated and this is a bit of a turn off for me. They are just a bit too small for my liking, and this is why I rate the White Birch a 4 and not a 5. The popcorn is really crunchy which is what I was looking for with this variety, and this definitely delivers.

Mostly all the kernels pop when using a Nordic Ware popper, using the popcorn setting on the microwave, without oil. If you don't use the popcorn setting on your microwave you'll have a lot of unpopped kernels.

I like the fact that Fireworks is "Non GMO" but is it organic? Probably not or it would state that, right? So again, I'm not really seeing a big difference between this and OR White Popcorn. Overall though this is a good quality popcorn and I recommend it.

Celestial Seasonings Antioxidant Green Tea, 20 Count (Pack of 6)
Celestial Seasonings Antioxidant Green Tea, 20 Count (Pack of 6)
Price: $18.28
28 used & new from $16.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Not authentic, should be called "Green Tea Blend", October 24, 2011
I have tried numerous teas from Celestial Seasonings and by and large I've enjoyed them all. Not this one. They prominently display "GREEN TEA" on the box cover, and state "with WHITE TEA for SMOOTH TASTE". But unless you really look, you won't notice that it also has natural lemon, and orange flavors, along with other listed flavorings, and Stevia to boot (for natural sweetness). All this sounds yummy, right? I don't think so. Sure, the first few sips were like "hmm, that's not bad" but quickly the flavor of this bastardized "green tea" became annoying. Probably not so much the flavor, but definitely the sweetness is too much for me. But if you like sweet beverages this one is fairly tame so you'll likely find it OK in that department.

My main problem with this is the fact that it's advertised as "Green Tea" and I believe this is misleading. It doesn't remotely resemble authentic green tea in terms of flavor, in fact you can't even taste the green tea here because it's overpowered by the other flavors. Real green tea is very mild in taste and doesn't need a sweetener because it's smooth and tasty without all the extra ingredients.

Even if it wasn't for the misleading here, this mix is still not my cup of tea. It's "OK" at best, but I wouldn't buy it again and I'm not sure I would even mix a bag or two in with my regular brand of green tea (for iced tea).

Finally, I am NOT in the habit of writing bad reviews for products on Amazon. I believe this is my first. But I know green tea, green tea is a friend of mine, and this sir is no green tea.

Ultra Brite Advanced Whitening Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste, Clean Mint, 6 oz (170 g)
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $4.85
31 used & new from $2.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Results, October 11, 2011
I've tried whitening strips in the past and had only limited success. On a whim, I bought a tube of this at Dollar Tree, not knowing how well it worked. After just a few days I immediately noticed a difference! My teeth, which have been deeply stained by tea/coffee drinking noticeably started getting whiter. I went back to the store and picked up two more tubes, just so I wouldn't run out in the near future. It's been close to a month now and I'm not even halfway through the first tube, yet there's a dramatic improvement. I cannot be more pleased with these results especially when considering the bargain price. The taste is decent and it doesn't linger after a few swirls of water. My only negative comment about the product is that it's very runny. It's not as thick while brushing like some toothpastes are, and therefore this stuff really splatters while using an electric toothbrush if you're not careful. In spite of this, I highly recommend the Ultrabrite.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2013 9:29 AM PDT

Prince of Peace Tea, Green, 100-Count (Pack of 3)
Prince of Peace Tea, Green, 100-Count (Pack of 3)
Offered by Nature and Herbs
Price: $23.78
9 used & new from $20.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince of Peace Organic Green Tea: fresh, light-tasting, & no bitterness, October 1, 2011
I drink a lot of green tea, iced. I use a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Pot for consistent, high quality brewed iced tea every time. I'm very impressed with Prince of Peace Organic Green Tea for many reasons.

For one, the price is right! They say on the box that they "buy in enormous volume and have eliminated layers of middlemen. We do not have expensive advertising campaigns. We are glad to pass our savings on to our customers..."

Then of course there's the actual tea bag. One thing that sticks out is the unbleached, brown colored bag. Does it really make sense to be steeping organic tea from a *bleached* bag? Not to me!

But let's not forget the most important thing, the taste! I'll compare this to Bigelow Organic green tea since that is the brand I'm most familiar. The PoP tea is lighter, more delicate. It has a mellow taste, not harsh whatsoever, as I find the Bigelow to be. And it doesn't taste "grassy" like the other yet it does taste "green". But this is the way authentic, organic green tea is supposed to taste. No astringent, overpowering flavor like black tea. This is due to less processing time; this is the very reason why all the beneficial chemicals remain intact, and why green tea is so good for you.

I consistently steep six bags of green tea in the Iced Tea Pot for 3 minutes for 2 quarts. So when I compare the two brands here I am preparing them in exactly the same way.

The one thing I would recommend that you do when this tea arrives is to place the contents of the box inside an airtight plastic container. The individual bags are sealed within paper, not the air tight packaging that the Bigelow tea comes in.

If you're simply looking for a strong tasting beverage you will not be satisfied with this tea. But if you're looking for an authentic tasting green tea to drink because of the health benefits, look no further.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3