Profile for B. Strottman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Strottman "Jam Band Fan" RSS Feed (Kingwood, TX United States)

Widespread Panic - Live at Oak Mountain
Widespread Panic - Live at Oak Mountain
DVD ~ Widespread Panic
3 used & new from $70.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but pretty darn good, June 26, 2005
Okay, first things first. I was not at the show. I am a Deadhead of over 20 years. I only came to Widespread Panic after seeing them on "Austin City Limits" when I was in Austin (recorded Halloween 2000, played a couple months later), and I was intrigued. A friend loaned me "Light Fuse, Get Away" (live performances from 1997) and I was hooked. My first show was Bonnaroo 2003 (unreal, with Warren Haynes, Robert Randolph AND Stanton Moore joining in), so I never got to see Michael Houser live before he succumbed to cancer in August 2002. I really enjoy Phish too.

The great thing about the DVD is it gives us the whole show, start to finish, and usually with decent camera work. Less of the slow-mo or grainy photography of "Panic in the Streets" (which may or may not be a better introductory DVD). The setlist may not look inspired, but sometimes you just have to go along with the show to realize that a song that seems strange on the list really works in well. I'm especially partial to "I'm Not Alone" and "Climb to Safety" in the first set, as well as the set ending sequence mentioned by patrick l driscoll (12/14/02 review), and the "Big Wooly Mammoth" and "Chilly Water" to start set 2, "Papa's Home" > "Surprise Valley" > "Papa's Home" near the end, and the super-mellow "Wish You Were Here" encore. Sure, maybe JoJo Herman didn't always deliver what you hoped for--his vocals are more limited and less distinct than JB/John Bell's--but it sure is fun to see them both duck in "Big Wooly Mammoth" when he calls "Somebody throw me a fire!" and they get pelted with lighters. (JoJo can be a da*ned good pianist when the time comes, though.) Overall, this gives you a good feeling about a band in fine form, even if it's not equivalent to Phish at Big Cypress or Grateful Dead in late 1973.

As for what I wish they'd included: a little more Sonny Ortiz--he's always fun to watch--and maybe an explanation in the interviews why Mikey sits to play guitar. In 2002 that may have seemed obvious (he played till he couldn't any more), but he chose to sit much sooner (at least by 1998). All in all though, a lot of fun to watch and listen to.

The Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Garden
The Wicked Pigeon Ladies in the Garden
by Mary Chase
17 used & new from $80.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty scary, and no violence involved, June 30, 2003
Like everyone else, I came to this book in the mid-70s when I was in about 4th grade. I got it from Scholastic Books back then.
Unlike most everyone else, I just found the book in my parents' attic, and screened it before considering reading it to my five-year-old. The tale is suspenseful without being violent, and that is quite an accomplishment. Also, the protagonist is a 9-year-old, which helps kids relate even better. My five-year-old looks forward to our nightly readings, and there are just enough drawings to stimulate his imagination further. (He's made it through "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and "The Magician's Nephew" already, so he's able to handle the fantasy storyline.)
I would recommend the book for children that are able to handle scary situations without falling apart. The language is also easy but not "dumbed down" for kids, so any child who reads the book should feel good about finishing such a grown-up type book. It will stimulate the imagination, and the "time travel" section does a good job of suggesting a late 19th century reality, which is even FURTHER removed for today's kids than it was for me and many of the reviewers that preceded me.
So, for all you who remember Ingrid saying over and over "Give me my bracelet," good luck finding the book and passing it on. I'm lucky enough to be doing so already!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2013 6:56 PM PDT

Flute & Sitar Music of India: Meditational Ragas
Flute & Sitar Music of India: Meditational Ragas
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $9.99
36 used & new from $0.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic release, January 21, 2003
I've had this CD now for about 6 years, but I didn't listen to it much until I was most of the way through graduate school. The first song could be construed, as Sonia said in her review, as "boring." It is nearly 35 minutes long, with flute beginning, then tabla joining soon after, and a quiet sitar droning along several minutes later. This is a very introspective and quiet song, and after I discovered the "repeat track" function on my portable CD player, I found I could listen to it for 6 or 8 hours as I studied or, later, worked.
The second and third tracks are much louder, a folk ensemble playing a 25-minute suite that reminds me of Philip Glass. The fourth track is, as its name implies, a meditational raga.
This CD is not Ravi Shankar--its focus, as the name implies, is FLUTE and sitar music. Still, it is a welcome addition to my small but growing collection of Indian and Middle Eastern music.
For those interested in long compositions that many might consider "boring" or repetitive, I'd also recommend Hussein el Masry's "Entre Nile et Gange (Between the Nile and Ganges)." The Egyptian master plays his oud, with a sitar accompanying, for some 53 minutes of interplay. Not for the short of attention span!

Thailand: The Beautiful Cookbook
Thailand: The Beautiful Cookbook
by Panurat Poladitmontri
Price: $37.12
81 used & new from $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Desert island Thai--one more vote, May 31, 2002
I first borrowed this book in 1993 from my neighbor who had lived in Thailand. I made about 4 things from the book--by the book--and invited her to dinner. She raved how perfect and authentic the flavors were. I kept the book awhile, made more recipes, and, being on a student budget but having plenty of time, copied those recipes I thought I might someday make (about three-quarters of them). The Burmese Chicken Curry was a hit from the beginning--when my wife's friend walked in the front door she remarked that it stung her NOSE just smelling the dish as it cooked!
Over the years I have made some fifty recipes from the book--soups, meat dishes, rice and noodle dishes, vegetarian dishes, seafood dishes, curry pastes, desserts--and nearly every one has been a huge hit with my wife and me. I've made so few different recipes because I've come back to many of them a dozen times or more. The Chicken Coconut Soup is my four-year-old son's favorite food, and he requests it often.
I finally bought the book for myself this year and have made several different recipes that I hadn't before. Some have hit my "frequently made" list already.
The book is visually stunning, with large appealing photographs of each dish, and with similarly beautiful photos of the countryside, divided up by region between the chapters of different foods. The recipes themselves are very easy to follow, and even those that have many ingredients usually only require a couple steps. Some require ingredients that you can only find in Asian food stores (like galangal) but even things like fish sauce and coconut milk are becoming more available in other supermarkets; and many recipes require nothing more exotic than fresh ingredients and soy sauce.
The only shortcoming I see in the book is a dearth of purely vegetarian dishes, but since Thai cooking seems to encourage improvisation, this can be remedied by substitutions. Despite this, I still consider this to be the best Thai cookbook I have (of six), the best Beautiful Cookbook I have (of six), and the best cookbook period that I have (of nearly 100).