Profile for Book Worm > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 169

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Book Worm RSS Feed (Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Broken Pieces
Broken Pieces

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Broken Pieces (Kindle Edition)
Do you know when you read a book that everyone is raving about and you think, okay I can understand why some people like this but it is just not working for me. That was me. I have to admit up front I am generally not a huge fan of over angst, woe is me, storylines that make every character more damaged than the last. I have basically given up reading NA reads because this became the trend. And that was what I felt with this book. It was like each character was trying to out do each other with who was more damaged. So if you are into that, you will LOVE this book.

But that actually was not made me not get into this book, it was actually the writing style. I felt that the writing style was very uneven. One minute you got lots of detail and the next it was just like being told a bunch of stuff. This I think is due to the time span of the book, 10 years, so stuff was skimmed. My problem with this is it felt like I was being told things instead of feeling and being part of them. When more detail was produced(like in part 3) it was so much better.

In addition to this I found it to really repetitive. How many times do you need to read "I'm weak" or "I must protect him". Find another way to say it or don't keep saying it.

I have to say I think why these three men would end up in a ménage really works for this book, but given how long it took for them as individual couples to actually do anything the ménage felt rushed to me. I would have much preferred a build up to it.

Anyway, as said I can see why people would like this book, it just was not for me.

Would I recommend? Sure if you like lots of baggage
Will I read it again? No
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 5:19 PM PST

Carnal Secrets (Phoenix Pack Book 3)
Carnal Secrets (Phoenix Pack Book 3)
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars No doormat and groveling. Yes. But nothing else, February 13, 2014
I can remember when the previous book in this series came out and everyone knew that this third book was going to be about Nick and Shaya. Everyone was saying Nick better do some major grovelling in it, and Shaya better not be a door mat. Well, if these are the only two things you are after from this book then bingo, it hits the spot.

Shaya is no doormat (YEAH). Boy does she make Nick work for it. However, therein lies a problem for me. It felt like FOREVER that this went on for. Sure the reason's are explained well, but they are repeated again, and again and again, and again, and again. Oh and again. And because of this the storyline felt quite mundane, that not much was happening just everyday life. Shaya and Nick made a nice couple, and it was nice to have an alpha male who was not over the top. He was strong, but able to show weakness, I liked this.

Once they finally got together the storyline did pick up, as with previous books in this series you had your battle scene, and the pack in danger. But it kind of felt underwhelming this time. Sort of like been there done that.

The other thing this book was lacking compared to it's predecessors was amazing sex scenes and humour. I laughed a lot in Feral Sins and Wicked Cravings, I missed the humour for this one. And the sex scenes? They were very tame compared to the previous two, so given what I was expecting I was disappointed.

What made this book more interesting for me was the secondary characters. I want to know more about Derren, he is interesting. I want to know more about Roni. And then there is Dominic and Marcus ... mmm I think something very interesting may happen for one of them.

It's not that I did not like this book, but it just was not as good as the previous.

Would I recommend it? Ummmm, sure but you have to really like the series
Will I read it again? no

Secret: Elementals 4
Secret: Elementals 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal YA with an actual life lesson. Love it., February 5, 2014
Could this series get better? Well it just did. This series of books is just so different from other paranormal YA fiction out there, and that is a good thing. I think the reason for this the wonderful characters, the best ongoing character development, and the fact that every book is not just about "getting the bad guy and falling in love". At the centre of these books are the love of family, and ultimately sharing your fears, doubts, and pain with your family. This could not be any more true with Secret, and Nick's story.

Secret is about Nick and his fears of sharing his true self with his family. His struggles, insecurities and fears were written wonderfully, and because of this his struggle to open up was incredibly frustrating for me as a reader, in a good way. I just wanted to shout "talk to Gabriel" (just as I shouted "talk to Nick" when I was reading about Gabriel in Spark), but it felt so real that he would have all these doubts and fears, and not open up about them. I felt for him, got very attached to him, wanted him to share.

The other person this story is about is Quinn, friend of Nick's, who is also having issues of her own, at home. I think some people will find Quinn hard to like, she is forceful character, and does not always do the nicest or best things. But she felt real to me, and she showed us so much. She is important in the story.

Unlike previous books in this series there was not a lot of action until the very end. I think this was a bold move by the author, but a good one. This book was much more than a paranormal action/romance book, this book had that but also dealt with issues that teenagers face everyday. It did not down play them, or blow them up. It just was there.

I can't wait for the next book.

Would I recommend It? Yes, the whole series
Will I read it again? Yes.

Rome (The Marked Men, Book 3)
Rome (The Marked Men, Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but ... can I have a new cover?, January 9, 2014
Okay, I really do like Rome as a character and was very excited to read his story. In the previous books in this series I have found him to be intriguing and definitely worthy of his own story. Same can be said for Cora, she has been a fabulous secondary character both previous books. So this is a real positive for this book, two interesting characters. Yeah. And they are interesting. I really did like both of them and wanted them to have their HEA.

Rome and Cora as a couple work well. I liked the heat level, I liked the set up of them coming together. It all worked. I loved finding out more about what happened to Rome and Cora in the past, and I wanted to know how they get over their issues.

Now here is the but ... there are two major issues I had with this story. Both of them are things that just never work for me. There is ALOT of internal monologue, and not a lot of dialogue. I am a huge fan of good dialogue as you can do so much with it. For me internal monologue is often too much angst and whine, and a lot of telling rather than showing. So when I was being shown I really liked this book, but with so much internal monologue I felt I was being told too much.

My second problem is a minor spoiler, and a story line that I find, to be honest, over used and lazy. So don't read this paragraph if you don't want to know. Yes the pregnancy (oh of course after un protected sex, and not doing anything about it, how stupid are book people sometimes?). Once this happens, pregnancy, it makes a book so predictable. And for me it took the charm away from these interesting characters and their actual story.

So overall, if you have no issue with lots of internal monologue and the other thing, I think you will like this story a lot, but if you have issues with those bits this book will frustrate you a bit.

One final note, what is with the cover of this book??? Where is my picture of Rome??? And who is the girl on the cover meant to be? She is no Cora.

Will I read it again? No
Would I recommend it? Sure ... with warning.

Try (Temptation Series Book 1)
Try (Temptation Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars No storyline just sex, November 28, 2013
I tried I really did try, but this was so not the right m/m book for me. There was just so much I did not enjoy about it. I guess I could say it did not start well for me right from the beginning. For me in my m/m reads I don't want descriptive f/m sex, and there is in this, more than once. Sure you can allude to it, but not too much detail please. But worse than this was the I how cheesy/cliched some of the dialogue was. It had me rolling my eyes and groaning. But then even worse than this for me was the whole storyline of Try. It is a very simple gay-for-you one with lots of sex, so gay-for-you erotica really. There is no humour, no surprises, no plot other than want, need, desire and possession. Where is the actual story.

I read alot m/m (but don't often review it), but I know alot of people have not tried m/m before. I hope that people who read this as their first m/m read and did actually enjoy it, will try another m/m read, one that is better. And I hope those that try this and don't like it don't just think all m/m is like this it is not. There are so many good ones out there.

Will I read this again? No
Would I recommend it? No, there are so many better m/m out there

Spirit: Elementals 3
Spirit: Elementals 3

4.0 out of 5 stars So much more than just Hunter, thankfully, November 28, 2013
It took me a while to read this book as I have not been a Hunter fan and have not been in the mood for ya books, but I saw it at my local library and decided to give it a go. I really liked it, it was so much better than I thought it would be, and I finished it thinking "I can't believe I didn't read that sooner". I love this series, but was worried that this book would focus too much on just Hunter. It doesn't. This book is so much more than just Hunter. Sure a lot of it is Hunter, but his life is so much entwined with the Merrick Brothers that you get as much a sense of them throughout this book as you do for Hunter.

This story takes off where Spark finished. You get to find out a lot more about Hunters family, his personal life and what has happened to him, and you also get to see where he fits with the Merricks and what he thinks of them. As with previous books in this series there is a formula running through this book. A female is introduced and someone bad is trying to kill the Merrick brothers. In this case for Hunter, that female is Calla, who has her own secrets and skills. I thought the relationship between Hunter and Calla would be a pretty predictable part of the book, but Ms Kemmerer surprised and shocked me with where she took Calla and Hunters relationship. I loved that, I was so not expecting it, and that made the book so much better.

I really don't want to say too much more about Hunter and Calla's relationship or the baddy trying to get the Merricks, as it was a twisty one that had surprises and I don't want to spoil it. But what I will say is if you have enjoyed the previous books in this series but have not read this one as you are 'not really a Hunter' fan, don't let that stop you, read this you will like it. If you have not read any of this series, go and start from the beginning.

Would I read it again? Yes, I think I will buy my own copy
Would I recommend it? Yes

Truce: The Historic Neighbor From Hell (A Neighbor From Hell Series Book 4)
Truce: The Historic Neighbor From Hell (A Neighbor From Hell Series Book 4)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, November 11, 2013
3.5 stars

Truce was a fun read, and I much preferred it over the previous book in this series Checkmate, but it was not as good as Playing for Keeps or Perfection. What made Truce a fun read was Robert (I do love those Bradford men). He is everything you expect from a Bradford, grumpy but charming, bossy but a pushover, possessive but he crumbles for his love, and hungry very hungry. Elizabeth is also a great character, full of strength and determination, not a pushover, knows what she wants and goes after it. I liked the interplay and sexual tension that RL was once again been able to create between her characters.

I really liked how the present and past were linked in this book, I thought is was really clever. By having Jason being told the story of his great great great whatever grandparents, it made a really nice link between the previous books in this series and this book. To be honest my favourite thing about this book, is the idea of the necklace, could that be any more beautiful and romantic??

However, it has to be said this book is not really a historical book, and if you are after a historical read this is not the book for you. This book may be set in the past but it does not read like one and the situations/actions the characters find themselves in would probably make lovers of historical reads pull their hair out with frustration. That is not to say I did not enjoy the setting or the time period. I did. I enjoyed it a lot, it made for a fun storyline and setting, but honestly I could never really believe the characters where actually from that time period.

That all being said, if you are fan of RL, I think you will enjoy this book, it has her humour, her charming characters, the love/hate relationship, and of course a happy ending.

Will I read it again? Probably
Would I recommend it? For fans of this series/author

Frigid
Frigid
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Frigid left me cold (and so disappointed), July 17, 2013
This review is from: Frigid (Kindle Edition)
As like alot of people out there I love what JLA writes, but that does not mean I will love everything she writes just because she wrote it, it still has to be an entertaining read. And Frigid simply is not, and to be honest it did not even feel like a JLA book. Let me tell you why. JLA writes amazing chemistry between characters, the chemistry between Syd and Kyler is, to be honest, blah. I was waiting for it to wrap around me and draw me into their lives, but it just never happened. I never felt that heat, I never felt that tingle or that desire of 'oh they need to get it on'. To make a bad pun, the chemistry was a little frigid.

In addition to this the actual storyline was too simple. The best friends to lovers one is often used and can be done well, but this one was just lacking some other plot line to make it more than that. Sure there was the secondary storyline of someone doing something to the house, but it was so obvious, and silly, that it made it cheesy. Because it was such a simple storyline three quarters of the book is literately internal monologue from Syd about how she loves Kyler and could never tell him or could never expect him to change, or internal monologue from Kyler about how he is not good enough for Syd. (Of course this means given Kylers internal monologue that we also have the over overused character trait of a guy being a man ho because he doesn't think he is going to be good enough for the girl he likes, and that makes it all ok.)

Added to thin plot, is the fact that Syd and Kyler are pretty one dimensional characters. JLA has this way of drawing you into her characters and making you adore them, but nothing stood out about Syd and Kyler, nothing grabbed me. I think part of this is because I didn't feel like they were well developed. I needed more from them. I wanted to know more about them, not enough was explored with them, it was like they had not story other than their hidden love for one and other. In fact the only thing I kind of like about them was they did not have some tragic story, that they were normal. I was excited about that fact, but that was all.

This book was missing everything I love about JLA books, interesting characters, amazing chemistry, fun storylines, humour, and honestly if this was the first book I had read by her I would not considering reading another, which is a shame because usually she is good. So read any of her others, but not this.

Will I read it again? NO
Would I recommend it? No
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2014 7:45 AM PDT

The Nature of Cruelty
The Nature of Cruelty

5.0 out of 5 stars SO SOOOOO GOOD, June 27, 2013
There are so many things that I loved about this book it is actually difficult to know where to begin. So let me start with the title of this book because it is perfect. This book is about the nature of cruelty, not just about the cruelty that has happened between these two characters but also between everyday people in general, about society in general. It is about the impact this cruelty can have on somebody no matter how inconsequential that cruelty seems, and to quote the book it is how "cruelty is a cycle. A person inflicts it and it spreads". The theme of this book is can we also overcome this cruelty. And for me this made it such an interesting and thought provoking read.

What took it from being just interesting and thought provoking to brilliant was the male hero, Robert. Robert is one of the most interesting and fascinating male characters I have read this year. This book may be told in first person by Lana, but for me this book was all about Robert. As soon as Lana started talking about him I was intrigued. I had to know more about him. I wanted to know why he did what he did, how this has shaped him, is he still a d head etc. And then when he came into the story I felt him. He had a presence, he was engaging, he took all my attention. He made me think so many things about him, is he a stalker, is he messed up, did something happen to him or is he just a d head. I can compare Robert to a few male characters of the last 12 months, he had the presence and drive/determination of Braden from `On Dublin Street', he had the vulnerability of Lucas from 'Easy', and he had the intense passion and `oh what is he going to do to stuff this up' of Rule from 'Rule'. Robert was simply a wonderfully written interesting character.

Another great thing about this read is the sub plots going on with other characters, from the ex girlfriend, to the sister/best friend. All these other stories play out wonderfully against the main story, they never once made you want to get back to the main story, they really were a part of it, they added to main story, and made it complete.

To be honest it has been ages since I have loved a book with characters in their early/mid 20's, they have often had too much melodrama or too much angst for me, or too much somebody having to 'save' somebody with their love. Not this one, this one was life, nothing over the top tragic had happened to these characters, nobody needed 'saving', life (and cruelty) had happened to these characters and I loved reading how their life continued and how they grew. I think some readers may be a little unsatisified with the reasons given for Robert being a bully when younger, but to me that is real life, people do stupid things as teenagers, there does not need to be some big earth shattering reason for being cruel, sometimes they are little reasons. For me this made it more real.

Finally I don't think I can leave this review without writing about the chemistry between Lana and Robert, because it sizzles. There is such a build up for these two that by the time things really happen you really want things to happen, you are dying for it to happen. This book is good, so good.
Will I read it again? YES
Would I recommend it? YES, buy it buy it now.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2015 8:37 PM PST

Off The Record (The Off Series Book 3)
Off The Record (The Off Series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of problems, June 12, 2013
I had a couple of problems with this book that I did not have with the previous two books in this series. Firstly, I found the female, Ever, very hard to like at the beggining. So much so that I wanted to slap her at times. Sure strong emotions like that can work well for books but not when you are meant to be wanting good things to happen for the character. However, Ever does redeem herself, and this helped alot with me actually liking the book at the end. I also have to admit that for some reason characters that are journalists do not always work for me. I don't know if it is because they are often written as a bit sneaky, but sometimes I find it hard to think of them as truthful. I guess what Ever does at the beggining of this book did not help with that either.

The second problem I have with this book is it was too similar to Off Limits. In Off Limits Emily got into a spot of bother with Nix and had to fix it, and in this one, Ever gets into a spot of bother and has to fix it with Linc. Again they are forced to be around each other and this again leads to a relationship. Again one of the characters does not want a relationship because they feel they are too messed up. Only this time it is the female, Ever, who is messed up rather than in Off Limits when it was Nix (the male). I have to say that I also found that Nix's problems in Off Limits were written in a really moving way without it being over the top angst. But I found that Ever's problems where just trying too hard for the angst, so it did not work as well for me.

I think I just expected more from this book. It is not that I did not like it. It was fine, but just fine, whereas both Off Limits and Off Side where good.

Would I recommend it? No