Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Profile for Mahlers13th > Reviews

Mahlers13th's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mahlers13th RSS Feed

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars If Apple made Windows PCs, this would be what it looked like, May 31, 2014
I just started (YET) another new job and i'm always eager to see what laptop they provide. For one contract, I was issued a Macbook Pro and after getting used to Apple after having used Windows for most of my career, the Macbook was the thing I missed most about leaving that job.

Subsequent to that job I used a Dell (big, clunky, and ugly and looked like one of the first laptops from the mid-90s). Then I had a Lenovo Ultrabook and was NOT impressed by that -- it was small but cheap plastic -- right down to a bumpy trackpad which was virtually unusable -- not to mention extremely unpleasant to use.

Since I had Lenovo at my last 2 jobs and the Lenovo headquarters are literally right around the corner from my office, I figured Lenovo again. This time I got this HP and from the first time I took it out of my company-issued computer backpack, I was impressed.

I really like the feel of the outside. it has a silicone or rubbery grippy coating which makes picking it up a pleasure. You don't feel like it is going to slip through your fingers. And, the coating also has the nice side effect of resisting fingerprints (which always drive me nuts).

It looks virtually identical to my 13" macbook pro with the only difference being the logo. Both used the brushed aluminum (the Macbook has a thinker enclosure to it and feels more substantial but the HP is much much lighter weight -- so much so that I can't tell I'm carrying it when it is in my backpack.

The trackpad is also a nice smooth glassy feel (like the macbook). One thing that tripped me up very early on was that if you tap the upper left corner twice, it disables the trackpad (being left handed, I'm probably more prone to stumbling on this little feature than others). I had to do a google search to discover how to re-enable it (just tape the same corner twice again).

The speed is quite zippy -- probably owing to the SSD drive. I use it with a docking station so don't worry about using my USB ports. However, even out of the docking station, there are 3 which is more than you would probably need to handle an external hard drive, mouse or external keyboard.

It also uses the Apple-style chiclet keyboard so typing on it is pleasant as well. The screen is fine. It runs nice and cool and quiet (unlike the Lenovos or the Dell which sometimes sounded like they had an airplane engineer that was gearing up for take off!)

All in all, I would rather have my Macbook. However, if I can't have my mac, at least I have the next best thing. And by throwing Cygwin on there, at least I have access to my Unix command shell which is REALLY the reason I love the mac.

Windows by force, Unix by choice!

At this point, I believe that most computers have the same "innards" -- most use Asus motherboards etc. So it really comes down to which "package" you are going to enjoy using the most. Without a doubt, the EliteBook Folio wins that prize hands down!

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2015 6:16 AM PDT