Profile for Ellen A. Allard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ellen A. Allard "Gluten Free Diva" RSS Feed (Worcester, MA)

Page: 1 | 2
Practically Raw: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make
Practically Raw: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make
by Amber Shea Crawley
Price: $15.16
27 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Raw Rocks in my Gluten Free Diva Kitchen!, November 10, 2013
Amber Shea Crawley is hands down one of my favorite raw (and mostly raw) cookbook authors. I own her book "Practically Raw" and from the moment I got it, I knew I would love it. You know how you can sometimes just flip through a cookbook and just tell that all the recipes are 5 star? That's what happened with this cookbook. Every recipe I've made is a homerun. Right now, the top contenders (though again, they're all great) are:

1. Almond Butter Sesame Noodles, p. 141
2. Spaghetti Marinara, p. 136
3. Cheesy Chili Kale Chips, p. 87 and p. 99
4. Spinach Walnut Pesto, p. 138

Some of the great features of this cookbook, besides the 5 star recipes, are her list of substitutions for each recipe (where applicable), the nutritional breakdown (calories, fat, carbs, fiber, protein), the pictures, and variations for cooking some of the recipes as opposed to preparing them raw.

Whether you're looking to transition into a more raw diet or you're a seasoned raw foods advocate and want to change up your recipes, this is one of the best cookbooks to own.

40 Meditations in 40 Days: A Guide For Personal Transformation
40 Meditations in 40 Days: A Guide For Personal Transformation
by Beth Sandri CHHP
Price: $9.90
21 used & new from $0.64

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!, October 8, 2013
If you follow Beth Sandri's 40 meditations in 40 days, as I did, you can emerge as a new person. As the title suggests, you will experience a personal transformation. And then, when you're done, having it as a guide to go back to again and again, is invaluable. Each of the 40 "meditations" is short enough to hold even the attention of the busiest person, yet deep and meaningful enough to make us stop and think, and wonder how it applies to our own lives. As an example, today, I opened to page 34. "Humility", the 11th meditation - EXACTLY what I needed to read. I've experienced some personal challenges lately, and Beth's words of wisdom spoke directly to where I am on my journey. I know my strength, but even knowing doesn't always help on those dark and sad days. Reading "Today I will honor the deep strength within me that survives all hurt", reminds me that I am a survivor and that I will always pick myself up, dust myself off, and keep on keeping on. Also, as a Certified Holistic Health Coach ([...] these meditations have become a part of the healing process I facilitate with my clients. I am a huge fan and highly recommend this book!

Breville BJE510XL Juice Fountain Multi-Speed 900-Watt Juicer
Breville BJE510XL Juice Fountain Multi-Speed 900-Watt Juicer
Offered by North To South
Price: $174.99
61 used & new from $127.00

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS JUICER!!!, May 17, 2013
I've had four juicers, this being the fourth. This is hands down my favorite. It is amazingly quick and makes a huge amount of juice. The pulp is relatively dry - dry enough for me. It's super easy to clean. And the veg/fruit shoot is nice and large. It is a great juicer and I'd recommend it to anyone! All of my coaching clients (I'm the Gluten Free Diva Holistic Health Coach) are strongly urged to buy this and use it on a daily basis.

Modern Essentials *4th Edition* a Contemporary Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils (The NEW 4th Edition) [Hardcover]
by Aroma Tools
18 used & new from $55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable Resource!, February 20, 2013
I am a doTERRA consultant and have found this book to be an invaluable resource in my library. While I can go online and look up recommendations for various conditions and uses for the essential oils, this book spells it out clearly and thoroughly. I highly recommend it.

Ellen Allard

Nourishing Meals: Healthy Gluten-Free Recipes for the Whole Family
Nourishing Meals: Healthy Gluten-Free Recipes for the Whole Family
by Alissa Segersten
Price: $18.96
11 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gluten Free Cookbook!!!, September 11, 2012
When I first opened this cookbook, I couldn't believe the number of recipes it included. And the information to help anyone on a path to getting healthy through diet is just amazing and very thorough. It is clear that the two authors really know what they're talking about. I made the Whole Grain Waffles and posted about them on my blog ([...]). The waffles were crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. My idea of a perfect Gluten Free Waffle. Flipping through the rest of the book, one can only notice the width and breadth of different recipes, different cuisines, and recipes to suit every type of cook and baker interested in gluten free, healthy eating. I was familiar with the authors from their first cookbook and from their website, and this cookbook is just the icing on the cake. In addition to every recipe that I've ever made from Ali & Tom being a keeper, I've learned a lot to help myself and my clients to achieve optimal gluten free health. As a Certified Holistic Health Coach specializing in people on Gluten Free diets, I will definitely be recommending this book to all of my clients. Don't walk, run and buy this book. You'll be glad you did!

The Spunky Coconut Cookbook: Gluten Free, Casein Free, Sugar Free
The Spunky Coconut Cookbook: Gluten Free, Casein Free, Sugar Free
by Kelly V. Brozyna
27 used & new from $25.69

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS RESOURCE FOR ALLERGY-FREE COOKING & BAKING!!!, August 23, 2011
Kelly Brozyna's "The Spunky Coconut Cookbook" is one of the best resources for gluten-free, casein-free and sugar-free recipes available today. I usually skip the intro's to cookbooks and go right to the recipes. Not with Kelly's book - I started at the beginning and read everything that precedes the recipes. The information is clear, concise and very usable. She explains everything in very easy-to-understand terms. And then come the recipes! All very easy, approachable - good for the novice as well as the experienced cook. The Spunky Coconut Cookbook will be a cookbook you go to again and again and again. Kelly is a pro and really knows her stuff. I believe this book is key to anyone who has issues with gluten, casein and/or sugar. I can't wait to get her second cookbook and dig into that one. If it's even half as good as this one, I'll be one happy gluten-free, casein-free and sugar-free gluten free diva.

Ellen Allard

Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine
Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine
by Annalise G. Roberts
Price: $12.00
48 used & new from $5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine!!, May 4, 2009
I am a huge fan of Annalise Roberts. When I was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease in early '06, her first book, Gluten-Free Baking Classics was one of the first in my GF library of cookbooks. It offered me the first glimmer of hope that a gluten-free life needn't be tasteless but in fact could be delicious. All of the recipes in her first book were fantastic.

Her new book, Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine, is equally as wonderful. It is laid out in two sections - the first section has GF bread recipes that include dairy and eggs and the second section has GF bread recipes that do not include dairy and eggs. Thus far, I've only tried the recipes in the second section, though with the success I've had with her first cookbook, I would virtually guarantee the recipes in the first section would be great also. Thus far I've made the French-Italian Sandwich Bread which was just perfect! The finished loaf had a great crumb, it toasted beautifully, it even tasted great right out of the machine (many GF breads have to be toasted in order for them to be edible!). And the second loaf I made - the Multi-Grain Artisan Bread was equally as wonderful. I made sandwiches this past weekend using the Multi-Grain bread - totally scrumptious! This bread isn't just a delivery system for whatever is inside the sandwich - the bread itself is fantastic! I'm telling you - Annalise Roberts has hit the jackpot with her Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine.

While the recipes in her Gluten-Free Baking Classics For The Bread Machine cookbook were developed and tested using a Zojirushi BBCC-X20 Home Bakery Supreme bread machine, there is no reason that they can't be made in other bread machines. Once you know your machine, it's a cinch to use the recipes in other bread machines. My sister has a Breadman machine and she makes GF bread in it quite often, with great success.

Annalise doesn't stop at just including recipes. She devotes a chapter to getting started. For those new to gluten free baking, the information she includes is enormously helpful from how to measure and mix GF flours to how to purchase and store them, not to mention quite a bit of helpful and extensive information on baking with GF flour. There is also an entire chapter entitled "The Art and Science of Using a Bread Machine to Make Gluten-Free Bread". She is clearly a teacher - devoted to helping you understand how to use a bread machine to bake gluten free bread with all manner of trouble-shooting tips for those who run into problems.

I can't recommend Gluten-Free Baking Classics for the Bread Machine as well as Annalise Roberts Gluten-Free Baking Classics) enough. I am a huge fan and am eternally grateful to her for helping to make my gluten free life not only bearable but fruitful and delicious and exciting and livable. Now, I can have my bread AND eat it too!

Ellen A.
[...]
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2010 11:18 AM PST

Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-Free Living
by Alisa Marie Fleming
Price: $17.96
28 used & new from $11.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Dairy Free is a FANTASTIC cookbook!, January 18, 2009
It is rare that within a 24 hour period I make four recipes from one cookbook, let alone a newly acquired one. But Go Dairy Free, by Alisa Marie Fleming, is so fantastic, that I needed to dig in immediately. And then I couldn't stop!

This is a must-have cookbook for anyone looking to expand their recipe repertoire, regardless of whether you want or need to go dairy-free. Besides fabulous sounding recipes, the book is a wealth of information. First of all, the recipe/allergy index at the back of the book is phenomenal. Listed according to categories (dairy alternatives, breakfast to brunch, baking bread, sips & smoothies among others), each section tells you whether the recipe is vegan, egg-free, soy-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, nut-free and/or peanut-free. This feature alone is worth the very reasonable price of the book (I am not an affiiliate seller for this book - just very pleased!). But I can't stop there. One of the other great features of the book is the section that talks about calcium. How many of us, when friends and/or family realize we're not eating dairy ask us where we'll get our calcium from?! Right? You know what I'm talking about. The author of Go Dairy Free explores this in depth, helping the reader understand how much calcium one really needs and explaining how calcium needs can be met without eating dairy.

My first foray into the book started with a recipe for Creamy Pesto-Inspired Pasta. If I hadn't cooked the dish with my own two hands, I never would've known it wasn't a creamy dairy-filled parmesan sauce. And to boot, it was unbelievably easy. Only thing is, I should've doubled the recipe. We practically licked our plates!

It didn't need anything more to improve the taste, but I decided to try the author's Easy Parmesan Substitute. Three ingredients. Delicious. A great dairy-free alternative to parmesan cheese which we sprinkled over the pasta. Delish. I'm hooked!

This morning, I made one of the author's smoothie recipes. Again, dairy-free, delicious, full of omega 3's (flaxseeds) and anti-oxidants (blueberries), and spinach (iron). Yup, you read that right. Spinach. But you couldn't even tell, not by the color of the smoothie (blueish purple) or by the taste which was mostly dominated by the banana and blueberries.

This afternoon I decided to try my hand at Go Dairy Free's Five Minute Nachos. I happened to have some homemade corn tortillas, though it would've worked just as well with store-bought corn tortilla chips. The sauce literally took five minutes plus two minutes for assembling the ingredients. Still, that's amazing, don't you think? And the finished product was fed to four hungry musicians who had just finished a two hour intense rehearsal. I didn't tell them they were eating dairy-free nachos. I just waited for the reaction. They were wowed! We all loved it and none of us could believe that the sauce had no cheese in it.

I delicately plopped refried beans over the chips, then drizzled the cheesy sauce over the whole thing, then threw it in the oven to warm it for about two minutes. It was sensational.

Alisa - I hope you're reading this review. I am crazy about this cookbook. Thank you so much for all of your hard work in pulling together so many fantastic recipes and providing invaluble information that will help me explore dairy-free cooking. Not only that, I have Celiac Disease and am completely gluten-free - this cookbook has recipes that are totally easy to make gluten-free! What a find!

Ellen A.
[...]
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2010 6:49 AM PST

Sanyo ECJ-F50S Micro-Computerized 5-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker and Steamer
Sanyo ECJ-F50S Micro-Computerized 5-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker and Steamer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love My New Rice Cooker!, July 17, 2008
I absolutely love this rice cooker. In terms of functionality and form, it is light years ahead of the Aroma Rice Cooker which I purchased at Target a few years ago for about $25. The Aroma worked adequately, though if I left it on for more than a half hour or so, the bottom of the rice got very crispy. This Sanyo ECJ-F50S rice cooker is fantastic. And I haven't even explored all of its' features yet. In terms of making rice, it is an ideal appliance. It is small and compact, so it doesn't take up a lot of room on a countertop. I choose to store mine in a rolling kitchen cabinet which has very easy access. I've made jasmine and brown rice in it - the rice comes out perfectly. I believe it has a sensor built into it - the sensor senses the amount of moisture and knows when to shut off. I love the retractible cord - a brilliant feature. If I had to state one negative thing about this cooker (and it's definitely not enough to hold off from buying it), I wish it had a count-down timer. Instead, the count-down begins when the rice has 13 minutes left. The downside is that at any given point in time, you don't know (unless you notice the time you started the rice cooking) where it is in the cycle. The white rice seems to take about 35 minutes. The brown rice seems to take somewhere between an hour and 1 1/2 hours. Though I haven't used it, the unit has a timer so it can be set well before you need it and the rice will be finished at a pre-set time. My work keeps me at home quite frequently [...] and thus it isn't a problem to run up to the kitchen and set the timer. I can't recommend this rice cooker enough!

Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence
by Joe Dominguez
227 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, January 19, 2008
I read this book in the early 90's. As a new single mom, it was a very influential book for me as I tried to keep my finances in check. There's nothing like writing down every penny you spend over the course of a week, or even just a few days. It's a real eye opener. In fact, I think it's time for me to read it again, just to have a refresher course. My husband and I bought this book as a holiday gift ('07) for each of our five kids (young adults in their early 20's). Not glitzy, but we know it will someday (if not now) come in handy, as they try to navigate the world of personal finances.

Page: 1 | 2