Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Estel Kenobi > Reviews

Browse

Estel Kenobi's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Estel Kenobi RSS Feed (East Coast USA)

Batman: Hush - Volume One
Batman: Hush - Volume One
by Jim Lee
62 used & new from $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just to point out..., February 22, 2006
In the review from 'Publisher's Weekly' they say, and I quote, "...Catwoman, whom he [Batman] teams with in a rousing (though improbably evenly matched) brawl with Superman." I just want to point out that this is not entirely correct.

(Please note I choose my words carefully since I don't want to give too much away. This graphic novel rocks out and I highly recommend reading it.)

But back to my point...the 'brawl' as they call it takes place with Batman's thoughts sort of narrating...and he makes a point of mentioning that he knows Superman was holding back during the fight, because if Superman hadn't then he would have pretty much gotten smashed to a pulp.

I appreciated that comment more then anything else in the book/comic. It shows how the author recognizes the impossibility of a fight between the two of them, but still found a way to play it out in spite of that. It was WELL DONE and I'm miffed at that review casting a negative light on a skillful balancing act.

Jedi Trial (Star Wars: Clone Wars Novel)
Jedi Trial (Star Wars: Clone Wars Novel)
by David Sherman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.72
97 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Unworthy, January 10, 2006
I hate to give any Star Wars novel a bad review...but I have honestly never been so disappointed in a book. And not just because I was bursting with excitement after spotting the name Nejaa Halcyon on the jacket, only to be let down HARD at the portrayal of his character.

Jedi Trial is very poorly written. There was no substance to it at all...nothing to give you a clear picture of what you should be seeing. The dialogue was simply horrendous. There are mistakes that I learned how to spot and correct in the very FIRST writing class I took when I was twelve!

I know several unpublished authors who could have done a much better job just in terms of overall quality, not even taking into account the blatant contradictions to already established Star Wars lore (namely, the events in I, Jedi). I realize how difficult it can be to keep facts and events streamlined when dealing with the vast amount of information contained in this fandom...but it seems like the authors didn't even try!

Reading became so painful that I finally couldn't force myself to go any further and discarded the book in disgust. Maybe it got better further in, but judging from other reviews, if that was the case then it was only a marginal improvement. It's inexcusable. And it's baffling to me how this book didn't get laughed out of the publishing office. Even `Cloak of Deception' (which I found boring) surpasses Jedi Trial by leaps and bounds.

The Changing of the Guard (Star Wars: Jedi Quest)
The Changing of the Guard (Star Wars: Jedi Quest)
by Jude Watson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
49 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Jude Is Brilliant, June 13, 2004
Okay...I'll admit...the JQ series has often left me feeling like it's somehow lacking something. There was a certain quality to Jude's writing back during the JA series that I kept looking for and couldn't quite find.
Well with 'The Changing of the Guard' I *have* finally found it.
Though these stories are understandably different because they deal with a different Master/Padawan team...the flare I loved is back. That special kick that leaves you with a smile on your face when you're done reading.
Maybe it's the fact that she brought back several dearly loved characters and one that most of us hoped never to see again. Maybe it's the snappy dialogue and dry humor (I had to put the book down and just laugh more then once). Whatever it is...I feel like the overall quality is back up where it belongs and I couldn't be more pleased.
Now if only we could only do something about her cliffhanger fetish...