Profile for Sunshine > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sunshine RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Planet Zak's Good to Go Spider-Man Classic 12-Ounce Double Wall Stainless Steel Canteen
Price: $22.00
4 used & new from $17.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Very hard for child to open and loose pieces inside metal, August 9, 2013
I've had this bottle for several months now and will probably get rid of it. I'm not surprised to read a 3-year old is having difficulty sliding open the piece on top, but even my 5-year old has trouble with it. Admittedly, his hand/finger strength is not so good, but still, why must the mechanism to get out the liquid be such a challenge to manipulate? There are plenty of other (better) stainless bottles out there to buy, so I'll be passing on Zak in the future. I have 4 Thermos insulated bottles with various kids' themes (including one Iron Man) and they are excellent.

My other problems with this bottle are the fact that I can hear pieces rattling around inside the metal and the company (Zak) doesn't provide any customer service. I've called them twice now to get replacement straws for the flip-top Tritan water bottles they sell and nobody has ever returned my messages. Unbelievable. It's bad enough they don't have the decency to pay someone to pick up the phone but to not return calls? That's ridiculous.

Planet Zak's Good to Go Spider-Man Classic Insulated Reusable Lunch Tote
Planet Zak's Good to Go Spider-Man Classic Insulated Reusable Lunch Tote

2.0 out of 5 stars Attractive design but handle tore after 1 month, August 9, 2013
My son was so excited to get this lunch bag. It has enough room for what a toddler eats at lunch, including a drink. Not sure how well the insulation works, but regardless of insulation, I don't like how quickly the handle tore on one side. The bag is usable, but we always put it in a backpack now and try to avoid using the handle, as any day now, it will completely break.

If you're looking for a good quality lunch bag/sack, check out Wildkin. They have several cool designs but admittedly no superheroes, as far as I know.

To top off my disappointment with this and other Zak products, I have found the company's customer serve to be non-existent. I called their toll-free number twice and never got a call back. This after spacing out two calls by about 6 weeks! I can excuse one unreturned call by a possible problem with their voicemail or other glitch but two? I didn't even call to complain about the multitude of problems I've had with their products but rather to purchase replacement straws for two water bottles. I'm done with this company.

Zak Designs Disney Cars 3-Piece Plate, Bowl and Tumbler Dinner Set
Zak Designs Disney Cars 3-Piece Plate, Bowl and Tumbler Dinner Set
Offered by fivebrothers
Price: $13.29
24 used & new from $10.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, terrible customer service, August 9, 2013
I have this exact same set but for Cars 2. The designs are a little different and the cup is red. Within a week of having the set, the bowl broke into countless pieces when dropped on our kitchen floor. I wasn't surprised, as you can immediately feel how poor the quality of the plate and bowl are. Both are very thin. The plate is also not terribly big and rather useless for dinner. I use it for snacks. The cup is the one thing worth having, but I don't think you can buy it separately. Hmmm...pretty obvious why that is!

If you decide to buy this set, do not pay more than $10 for it. That's what I paid, and quite frankly, it's only worth about $7-8, but if your child has to have it, then just make sure you don't buy it from one of these outside vendors that over charges people, hoping they don't know any better.

Before buying any dining pieces related to a Disney movie from a company that is not Disney, check out what Disney has to offer. The Cars bowl I bought from Disney is way more attractive and sturdy than this junk from Zak.

Finally, Zak has the worst customer service of any company producing kids' items that I've ever encountered. I've called them twice, had to leave messages both times, and never got a call back! It's hilarious to read on their site about their "friendly customer service" when it appears they don't have any customer service! Fine if you are too cheap to pay a live person to answer the phone, but at least have the decency to return messages.

Zak Designs Disney Cars Tritan Bottle, 14-Ounce
Zak Designs Disney Cars Tritan Bottle, 14-Ounce
Offered by A & T Designs
Price: $5.99
4 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent bottle but terrible customer service, August 9, 2013
I have two of these bottles for my boys, ages 2 and 5. They use them just fine, but opening the flip top requires a bit of muscle. I also don't like that there is no cover for the top, thereby leaving the mouthpiece potentially exposed to dirt and germs. The bottles leak, even when the top is screwed tight, if they do any falling inside a bag. Upright they're fine.

Worst of all is Zak's complete absence of customer service despite providing a toll-free number on their website. I've called twice now to buy replacement straws for this bottle (if you lose the straw, you won't be able to find a good substitute for the original) and nobody has ever returned my calls! It's unbelievable. They clam to have "friendly customer service" when in fact they have none! How cheap can you be to not even pay someone to return calls, let alone pick up the phone like any self-respecting company would do.

I will not be buying any more of Zak's products.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2014 4:55 AM PDT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars TINY, barely bigger than your hand, July 28, 2012
I thought this guitar looked really cool and the features sounded nice. I don't recall seeing the length measurement being given, but I do see it now. My mistake. At 9.5 inches long and only 3.5 inches wide (and that's at the widest point, the bottom of the guitar), this thing is minuscule. It's more like an accessory for a doll than a toy for a young child. To say it's appropriate for 6 years and up is ridiculous. My 4-year old laughed when he saw this. The description needs some serious editing, and a picture of the toy in its box should be included, as within the box, it's obvious this thing is small, whereas with a picture of the guitar in isolation, the size is distorted. I'm sure the seller intentionally chose not to include a picture of the toy in its box, knowing how many people would be turned off by the size.

Melissa & Doug Giant Plush Stuffed Sea Turtle
Melissa & Doug Giant Plush Stuffed Sea Turtle
Price: $24.99
53 used & new from $24.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, large turtle, January 18, 2012
I am not a huge fan of all things Melissa & Doug, as some people are, because many of their wood puzzles are lacking in quality of craftsmanship, but this turtle is terrific! It's really big, very realistic in appearance, and fairly soft. I read one review complaining about the lack of softness. This is not like having an Angel Dear lovey or blanket, but it's totally comfortable for resting your head. My husband does so all the time.

My son was thrilled to receive this turtle and has consistently used it for about 1 1/2 years now. We keep it on the floor beside his bed and it has cushioned a couple of falls very nicely!

Considering the size of the animal, the price is excellent. I paid $25-$30 for it. I often pass up buying large stuffed animals like this one because they cost $50 plus dollars. This is a great buy, well worth the money.

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Construction in a Box Jigsaw Puzzles
Melissa & Doug Deluxe Construction in a Box Jigsaw Puzzles
Price: $11.99
68 used & new from $9.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, dangerous construction, November 24, 2011
I have two young boys and have been buying Melissa and Doug toys for 3 1/2 years now. MD clearly understand what kinds of things children enjoy, and I love the variety of items they offer. That being said, I am sick and tired of dealing with the roughness of the wood on many of their puzzles.

Just the other day, I got a sharp jab in my finger from a protruding sliver of wood when reaching inside this box. On two previous occasions, my older son and I each got a splinter from shards of wood that escaped from either this box or one of the other two puzzle box sets we have from MD.

If it were just this series of puzzles from MD, I'd say ok, let's stick to other MD puzzles, but it's ALL of their wood puzzles, including the knob puzzles for babies. I am constantly finding little shards of wood on the floor and having to scour the rooms for any additional ones to protect my kids.

I called MD to complain about this problem, specifically in relation to their Beep Beep puzzle, which has caused me grief from day one. The rep said she'd never heard any complaints about rough wood. This is surprising given the number of reviews for MD puzzles that mention this. I was sent a similar puzzle that is not made out of wood but rather cardboard (Traffic Jam, 2 x 3 ft) as a free replacement. There is no problem with the cardboard puzzle, but I'm still disturbed that there are all of these conceptually wonderful puzzles about which I have to worry because MD just doesn't finish off the wood.

We have another wooden knob puzzle from Puzzibilties that does not have this same problem, so clearly, creating a smooth finish on wood is possible!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2013 1:18 PM PDT

Philips AVENT BPA Free Bottle Brush, Blue
Philips AVENT BPA Free Bottle Brush, Blue
Price: $3.99
24 used & new from $1.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome brush; for more than baby bottles!, November 24, 2011
I've had this brush for over 3 years now and it still looks new. I used it for all of my older son's baby bottles, then his sippy cups, then his straw bottles, and now his larger sport water bottles (like Nalgene; doesn't fit into Sigg). I use it for my younger son's straw bottles as well. Never any problem whatsoever.

Not only does the brush get into all of those crevices that some multiple-part bottles have (usually under the cap) but it doesn't seem to harbor any mold, mildew, or bacteria. It smells great. Avent must treat the bristles with something, hopefully nothing harmful. Of course, rinsing it thoroughly before and after each use helps.

The tip is very helpful for cleaning out baby bottles nipples. As any parent knows, it's very hard to effectively rub out all of the milk within the nipple. Even the wonderful bristles on this brush don't quite do the trick, which is why they created the special tip of course.

Finally, you can place this brush on your countertop without either the bristles or the tip touching the counter. This may not sound like a big deal, but once you get absorbed with cleaning a bunch of things in your sink, you may want to just lay down the brush for a minute as opposed to placing it back in a drying rack.

This is a must-have item in my opinion for any kitchen catering to young children.

Kamik Women's Heidi Rain Boot
Kamik Women's Heidi Rain Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boot for the price!, September 9, 2011
I cannot believe I found a high quality boot NOT made in China that costs less than $50! I had never even heard of Kamik before I started looking up rain boots recently on another site. The company came across my path while I was looking up a French boot maker named Aigle, whose boots are much more expensive and do not fit me right (too wide, despite my wider than average foot, and short in length for the corresponding size).

The reviews for this Kamik boot on that "other" site were very favorable, so I figured I'd try a pair, and Amazon had them for only $29 and change! I'm still in shock that I have a pair of boots like this for such a low price, AND they're made in Canada!!!

Now, as far as comfort goes, let me be clear, these are not boots for taking on long hikes. There is not a ton of support in them; you're not walking on clouds here. The boots are totally fine, however, for slogging through rain on city and suburban streets for a couple of hours at a time. They appear to be made very well, and I expect to have them for a long time. The calf is roomy, so there is no problem tucking in your pants, as I have sometimes encountered with other boots.

I am usually a 9 1/2 or 10 and got the 10 with these boots. The fit is just right for me (with a little bit of room up front). I'm told by shoe salesmen that my foot is technically normal in width, but I find a lot of shoes and boots too narrow for me, leading me to believe my feet are wider than average. These Kamik boots just fit me on width.

Fyi on colors-- there is a fairly large selection, but Amazon splits them up between different search results, because of different
vendors I guess. When I bought mine, the purple/violet color that I bought (lovely!) was only one of three color options (all on the lighter side), but there was another search result for this boot with several more colors. Look thoroughly on the site before making
a final selection.

UPDATE 1-18-12: Still like the boots and think they are a great value, but after only wearing them once or twice, I had dark scuff marks on the inside of both ankles, something I've not enountered with other boots, except after extensive wear. The lavender color of the boots is not helpful in this regard, so I recommend buying a dark color.

Kidoozie Little Tuffies Trucks
Kidoozie Little Tuffies Trucks
Offered by Tom's Toys Beverly Hills
Price: $16.95
26 used & new from $15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly versatile and sturdy w/long-term appeal, September 9, 2011
I bought this set for my older son when he was about 1 year old (he is now almost 3 1/2), and I am thrilled at how much use he gets out of these trucks! He takes them to the park, he uses them in the tub, and he pulls them out for general "construction work" in our apartment. They are easy to clean, very lightweight, and practically indestructible. The front of the loader (what they call a bulldozer) has fallen off a couple of times, but it's easy to fix.

One review mentions paying only $1 per truck. I think I paid somewhere between $12 and $15 for the set, but I still feel that at full price, this set is a bargain given its popularity in my family and how easy it is to maintain the trucks. Our set looks like new after over 2 years of use.

One reviewer expressed dissatisfaction with the colors, saying that they're dull. Maybe that set was defective. I think the colors are great=- all bright, basic colors-- blue/red for the cement mixer, yellow/green for the dump truck, and orange/green for the loader.

If you have more than one boy at home, like I, you'll really get your money's worth and more out of this set. My 10 month old plays with the set regularly as well, and I don't worry about him getting hurt, as there do not appear to be any small pieces making up any of the trucks. One end of the loader shovel has teeth on it, so those could be an issue, but we have not had any problems to date.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5