Profile for Donovan D. Mattole > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Donovan D. Mattole "songofalbion" RSS Feed (Silverton, OR United States)

Judgment Day
Judgment Day
by James F. David
81 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! An amazing read...impossible to put down, May 10, 2005
This review is from: Judgment Day (Hardcover)
James F. David doesn't crank the novels out as fast as many novelists (I guess that's hard to do when you work full-time as a psychology professor), but each book that comes out is well worth the wait. His book "Fragments" was the best pyschological thriller I have ever read and I still think "Footprints of Thunder" is still one of the most original modern sci-fi novels written in the past couple of decades. The amazing thing about David is that he makes each story original and there is never a predictable pattern to his novels. Each book is totally different. He obviously has a lot of fun with his stories. A perfect example of this is looking for his books at Borders. You'll notice a couple are classified as horror, one is in the mystery/thriller section, one is in sci-fi and this latest is classified as Christian fiction - of all places. None of his books can fit in a typcial "category/genre". The book buyers may struggle with were to place him, but his fans don't (each book is a combo of all of the genres and can't be boxed). All I can tell you is if you haven't read him, start today - you won't be disappointed.

As I listed in my revew title, this book was impossible to put down. My only problem - I have to wait a couple years until his next offering. Hopefully, a sequal to "Judgment Day"!

The Mystery of Things (Ashland Grail Cycle ; Bk. 1)
The Mystery of Things (Ashland Grail Cycle ; Bk. 1)
by Debra Murphy
41 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary Mystery - to be enjoyed by all, February 3, 2005
This is one of those novels that at first glance may be off putting - or at least it was for me. I'm not a Shakespeare scholar in the least and thought all of the literary references and Shakespearian quotes would go right over my head and I'd be lost. As soon as I started reading my apprehensions quickly evaporated. While it does abound with literary references and graduate students and their studies play a large part in in the book, the references only wet your appetite to read more of Shakespeare and those who influenced him. It truly is a mystery novel, but it is a lot more then your typical "who-did-it" variety. It is very well written and the descriptions and conversations bring the story and characters to life. While it is a mystery novel and the plot does move along pretty quickly, I really took my time reading it - enjoying each paragraph and savoring the writing and the story as it developed. I highly recommend this novel.

Walter & Henry [VHS]
Walter & Henry [VHS]
VHS
9 used & new from $0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent family film!, January 23, 2004
This review is from: Walter & Henry [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is one of those movies that will warm your heart and stay with you for a long-time. Great story!

A Book Lover's Journal
A Book Lover's Journal
by Da Capo Press
33 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you want..., December 6, 2003
This review is from: A Book Lover's Journal (Hardcover)
I bought this to help keep a record of all of the books I read, including the date, title, author, etc. The problem I soon found is that each page is for only one book. It includes all of the vital info on top, but then you have an entire page to write your notes, thoughts, quotes or whatever you'd like. I never have a lot to say and so it seems a waste. I ended up just using each page for mutliple records. So, if you want a journal to record your thoughts as you read the book, then this is perfect. If like me you don't really write a lot, but want a record of everything you've read then this isn't the best book. I guess the key word is "journal".

Romans: The Niv Application Commentary: From Biblical Text to Contemporary Life
Romans: The Niv Application Commentary: From Biblical Text to Contemporary Life
by Douglas J. Moo
Price: $22.72
99 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you are looking for..., October 24, 2003
I agree that Moo's other commentary is a lot more indepth and a lot better, but for a Bible study of Romans this is the perfect commentary. It's half the price and it doesn't include all of the technical info that is important for a serious study, but not necessary for a basic Bible study. The key word is "Application" - this is a great guide that gives some background and good application to Paul's letter to the Romans, without getting too indepth. If you are looking for a guide to help you understand Romans and apply it to your life, I'd highly recommend this one. If you are a theological student studying Romans more indepth - go with Moo's bigger commentary.

Avalon:: The Return of King Arthur
Avalon:: The Return of King Arthur
by Stephen R. Lawhead
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The best SRL book since Byzantium and an incredible story!, September 9, 1999
Stephen Lawhead masterfully recreates Arthurian Britain in the twentieth century. Arguably Lawhead's best novel to date, I found it impossible to put down. This is a well-crafted novel that will keep you up late at night, enthralling you until the last page is turned. Avalon is a modern fantasy that combines Lawhead's vintage storytelling ability and well-crafted language with modern suspense and mystery. You will be hard pressed to find a better or more original retelling of the Arthurian tale. I absolutely loved it and I know you will too! - Donovan Mattole

Rhapsody: Child of Blood
Rhapsody: Child of Blood
by Elizabeth Haydon
138 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read this book you are in for some fun!, September 8, 1999
-Be prepared to fall in love with Rhapsody. -Be prepared for a true epic fantasy. -Be prepared to lose sleep. -Be prepared for an incredible journey.
I know because all of the above happened to me (and I admit that as a bookseller - this happens less and less over the years). Buy this book (or borrow it) - you won't regret it!
Happy reading!
P.S. Ms. Haydon, can we expect any short-stories or anything else to keep us going while we wait for the next book in this massive series?

Byzantium
Byzantium
by Stephen R. Lawhead
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
170 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Lawhead book to date!, September 2, 1999
This review is from: Byzantium (Mass Market Paperback)
Now that I've read The Iron Lance and Avalon, I thought I'd stop in and read the reviews on Byzantium (I previously reviewed this book on July 27, 1997, but since they are now refering to me only as "a reader" I felt entitled to say something else). I was surprised by a few (to say the least). I honestly think Byzantium is Lawhead's best book ever. I loved Avalon, but it still didn't pass Byzantium as my all time favorite. If you like historical fiction or just want an excellent story with extremely well developed characters - this is the book for you. The important thing is to read the book with an open heart for the powerful message that is portrayed. It is a true story of redemption. I think one of the reasons I loved the book so much is I felt a kinship with the main character, Aidan, unlike I have with any other fictional character. After you read this, read the Celtic Crusade books, beginning with The Iron Lance. These continue the story and you'll see what happened to Byzantium a few hundred years later. Happy reading!