Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for aj > Reviews

Browse

aj's Profile

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

aj RSS Feed (Mansfield, Texas United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Zephyr HxM Smart Heart Rate Monitor for iPhone 4S, iPad (3rd Gen) & iPhone 5 with Bluetooth Low-Energy (4.0)
Offered by Zephyr Technology Corporation
Price: $44.95
3 used & new from $35.00

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, if you don't mind buying batteries and are not looking for an ANT+ device., January 13, 2016
First of all, this strap does a good job of monitoring your heart rate, seems to be really accurate and responsive. My dislike with the product and the reason it dropped a star, is that it isn't rechargeable. It takes the 2032 coin battery and it eats them like they are going out of style. I have to remove the battery every time I take the strap off or the battery will be dead in a weeks time even if you remove the sensor from the strap, and I only use it about 3 hours a week. Other than that and the fact that it isn't ANT+ compatible, it is a great device.

Santa's Peppermint Rescue
Santa's Peppermint Rescue
20 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute story, December 21, 2013
We read this story every Christmas. Nice colorful pictures and is good for kids of all ages. Merry Christmas everyone.

Aquamira Chlorine Dioxide Water Purification Treatment Drops
Aquamira Chlorine Dioxide Water Purification Treatment Drops
Price: $11.68
97 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars No taste and no one got sick, highly recommended., August 24, 2013
Its kind of hard to review water treatments as to their effectiveness, but no one got sick, and they don't add any bad taste to the water so I'll definitely use them again. Not quite as easy to use as tablets.

Seattle Sports Camp Bucket (Blue)
Seattle Sports Camp Bucket (Blue)
Offered by FuddleBucks
Price: $12.13
23 used & new from $9.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy little bucket, August 24, 2013
This is one of the best things I bought for backpacking. Came in very useful for Philmont carrying water and doing laundry. Lasted the whole trip and still looks like new.

Allen Company Three Legged Folding Stool
Allen Company Three Legged Folding Stool
Price: $18.43
9 used & new from $14.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Used it 6 times and the fabric tore, August 24, 2013
I've used this stool all of 6 times and the seat fabric is tearing. And no, I'm not obese either, 185lbs. One of the foot covers came off too after one use, but found a replacement at Lowes. The stool is cheap, flimsy junk. I'll see if I can get it replaced, but the company was less than helpful finding a foot cover replacement.

Allen Company said I could return it for repair but mailing it would cost almost as much as I gave for the stool so I am stuck with it. Do not buy this China made piece of junk, instead buy the stool from Camp Time, it is durable and Made in the USA.

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (Fifty Shades of Grey Series)
by E. L. James
Price: $9.56
2734 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars ugh..............what a waste of my time, September 6, 2012
What bothered me most about this book was how often certain phrases are repeated. Enough already.....yes, we get it that Ana liked the way his pants hang from his hips, and that when she touches him his breath hitched, and the inner goddess junk...........ENOUGH ALREADY. I wish I hadn't wasted a few hours of my life reading this story that seems to be written by a teenager. Why would a publishing company publish such bad grammar ?

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
44 used & new from $36.26

4.0 out of 5 stars It's mostly a great device, but has a few shortcomings that won't work for some., January 3, 2012
First of all, I never had or used a Kindle device nor any Tablet or Android device before I bought the Fire. I started out thinking I wanted the Kindle Keyboard since I mostly wanted to read books, but after comparing the 2 for a while I decided on the Fire since it was a much more capable device.

Cost wasn't a concern as by the time you buy the Kindle Keyboard and a reading light you are getting pretty close to what the Fire costs. I have been using the Fire now for a few weeks, read 3 books so far and downloaded a few free apps(USA Today, Angrybirds, Netflix, Pandora, IMDB, etc.), I have web browsed a bit and played a few games.

The Good:

So far I am really impressed with the display, it is bright, has vivid colors, nice resolution, and the touch sensitivity is very good.

The 7" form factor works very well for me, and I like the rubberized back.

The virtual keyboard is nice, page turning works well and there is no lag at all.

At first I didn't care for the home screen carousel much, but now after a few weeks I actually tolerate and use it much of the time. It's really no big deal because you can just use the Favorites function or click one of the menu buttons to get a bookshelf display of your icons.

Apps load quickly and it's nice to have the Amazon app store so you can at least have some idea what works with the Fire, you can also side load apps easily enough if you need one that isn't available.

I really like the Font, Typeface, Line spacing, and color mode options for reading, but the e-ink Kindles would still be a much better choice if you want to read in sunlight as the screen is very reflective.

Things that could be improved:

Performance, the performance is very good except when streaming videos. I have streamed video over youtube and netflix and the experience is the same, both exhibit frequent choppiness and lag, maybe not enough so that the video is completely unwatchable, but irritating none the less.

Memory, memory is really cheap now and 6GB just isn't enough when you only have a WiFi connection, sure you can get plenty of books on it, but you start putting music and a movie or 2 on it and it fills up in a hurry.

Battery Life, if you are just reading books and you have WiFi turned off you might squeak 7 or 8 hours out of it, but play some video and a few games and you will shorten your battery life considerably. Plan on charging it every day.

Buttons, did a usability study uncover that consumers hate buttons? Or is it just cheaper not to have them? At a very minimum the Fire needs volume controls and a Home button.

Speakers, look I don't really care if you put 1 speaker or 2 or 4 on the device, but at least make them so you can hear them. You need a very quiet environment to hear the speakers at the highest volume setting. Just plan on using headphones and if you have to buy a pair, get a set with volume control.

Web Browser, Silk seems a bit slow but that's not the main problem with it, it is unresponsiveness to finger clicks on links on webpages much of the time. I mean sometimes you can press a link 8 or 10 times and nothing happens, tab closing is tough as well. I side loaded Dolphin browser and the experience is much better.

A 3G option needs to be available for those that need it and don't mind paying a monthly fee.

Be aware that the device is very insecure: anybody with access to the device can run your credit card to the max so you have to treat it just like your wallet, you'll have to cancel your credit card if you lose or misplace the Fire. It needs to be log in password protected at the very least.

Conclusion:

Let's face it, this device is not for everyone but if you can deal with a few shortcomings such as no 3G, 6GB of memory, frequent video lag, and the security problem, it is a very nice little tablet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 7:27 PM PST

Petmate 24301 Le Bistro Waterer with Microban, 5 Gallons, Bleached Linen
Petmate 24301 Le Bistro Waterer with Microban, 5 Gallons, Bleached Linen

3.0 out of 5 stars water bottle cracks very easily, September 11, 2011
We had this unit about 6 months. After about 2 months the bottle developed a small crack and then a few months later developed a huge crack. Evidently you can't buy a replacement bottle.

Sony ICFCL75IP 30-Pin iPhone/iPod Clock Radio Speaker Dock with 7-Inch LCD Screen (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
14 used & new from $41.90

3.0 out of 5 stars locks up, April 13, 2011
Mine freezes up all the time. I have to unplug it to reset it if I go a week or so without playing the radio or IPOD. Besides that its ok.

Plantronics Voyager 520 Bluetooth Headset [Retail Packaging]
Plantronics Voyager 520 Bluetooth Headset [Retail Packaging]
Offered by Cables Tools
Price: $69.16
3 used & new from $30.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Headset generates noise that others can hear., January 20, 2009
I had the Plantronics 510 and the battery was dying so I thought the 520 would be an upgrade. It is not. In fact it is so bad Plantronics should be ashamed to put their name on it. It generates some kind of noise that sounds like thumping a rubber band or playing the banjo that your audience can hear very well. You can not hear it unless you record your headset and then play it back. I even changed headsets during a call and my audience could hear the noise on the 520 but not the 510. So I got a warranty replacement from Plantronics and it makes the same noise. It also has 100 times more wind noise than the 510, also picked up during my recording. The 510 on the other hand is a fine headset.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2010 8:56 PM PST