Profile for Thom Bone > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 242

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thom Bone RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cubes vs. Spheres
Cubes vs. Spheres

3.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Cubes vs. Spheres (App)
Permissions are not an issue. No addons or spyware either which is great!

But the game itself, sad to say, is just not exciting enough to hold my attention for long. I mean I get it, protect yourself from the cubes... and yes there are powerups and some variety but even still, the game is just lacking a fun factor for me.

As a FAOTD this is a safe bet to try because who knows you may love this and again it is safe to install and all but: you may also feel the same way about it that I do... In such cases, it is easy enough to uninstall, right? As a paid app, only grab this if games like this float your boat.

Little Chomp
Little Chomp

1.0 out of 5 stars A plethora of privacy invading addons., July 6, 2014
This review is from: Little Chomp (App)
Chartboost advertising, Flurry analytics, both Amazon and Google in-app purchasing code, it is all here. NONE of this should be in a full version app, ever. Will the developer make the excuse that they are just "code stubs" from the free version? Even if so, it does not matter. It is sloppy, sloppy, lazy programming.

Show users some respect, please.

Virtual Pet Dragon
Virtual Pet Dragon

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Virtual Pet Dragon (App)
There is terrible collision detection so if you go all the way to the right to where the castle door is you can go right through it and then go below the world or above it, or even completely off the screen.

The rest of this so called simulation is just so bad that it is laughable.

Really really really really bad.

Seriously, this is terrible and I can't believe that somebody would normally charge money for this. As a free app of the day, it's still not worth it.

You will never be able to unsee this so please do not even bother to look.

Amazing Alex Premium
Amazing Alex Premium

5.0 out of 5 stars The Incredible Machine revisited, June 18, 2014
This review is from: Amazing Alex Premium (App)
TIM is one of my favorite games of all time. I was thus, of course, skeptical of this when I downloaded it. I must say I am pleasantly surprised!

This is a physics puzzler, very very much like The Incredible Machine, except that you use various items in order to somehow collect the three stars that are on the screen. The puzzles I have worked through are clever indeed and I must say that it is nice to see Rovio not milking their now very tired Angry Birdies franchise anymore. This is a good effort, even if it isn't nearly as original as AB was when it was first released.

I am still enjoying this much and find no fault with it.

Contains Flurry Analytics, which I believe should be disclosed by developers... so when they don't, I will.

Kids Animated Puzzle -Toddlers
Kids Animated Puzzle -Toddlers
Price: $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Requests device ID and GPS location at startup, June 17, 2014
I believe it is doing it because it is using the Adobe AIR library. However, in the interest of full disclosure and since this is a children's app, I think parents should know that the app is doing this. The reason for it may be entirely benign but I think you will agree that a children's app should not be tracking your location, especially a full version app. It's a shame too as it appears to be a very good app. But until we know why it is behaving this way I have to rate it at only three stars as an alert. If the developer explained this behavior I will change my review accordingly.

However, I felt it necessary to warn parents that this is happening.

The tool that I used to see this behavior in this case is a program called Xprivacy and it needs a rooted device to work.

Chemistry Elements Compounds
Chemistry Elements Compounds

5.0 out of 5 stars I can appreciate this, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Chemistry Elements Compounds (App)
I'm not sure this is worth a dollar in its current state however I happened to get it for free today for some reason when I stumbled upon it and saw that it was free.

I thought I would give it a try. Now while the interface is extremely basic and looks like it was written for Android 2.1 or earlier, the information, which is of course the core purpose of this app IS accurate and valid.

So, as long as this is free it is a five star app to me. But for money, I would think this app needs a little bit more polish and maybe some more information and data-- especially in the compounds section.

But for free, this is wonderful. 5 stars when free. 4 stars when not.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2014 9:42 PM PDT

Hyperion Samsung GALAXY S RELAY SGH-T699 2 x Battery + Charger
Hyperion Samsung GALAXY S RELAY SGH-T699 2 x Battery + Charger
Offered by Hyperion Electronics Accessories
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this set!, June 16, 2014
Fantastic! The batteries work great once broken in and the charger is of nice quality. I am happy and would buy again if I ever need more.

5.25/3.5-inch USB 2.0 SATA HDD BD DVD CD Enclosure w/ Fan
5.25/3.5-inch USB 2.0 SATA HDD BD DVD CD Enclosure w/ Fan
Offered by cubeternet
Price: $20.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Total garbage., June 16, 2014
Made VERY poorly. The proprietary power plug on the back is so poorly constructed that the plug will not even go in all of the way. It easily disconnects which is not only annoying but very bad for both the computer and the drive itself.

The "cooling" fan is so bad it scrapes against itself and makes a loud whirring and banging noise as it turns.

The front bezel snapped in half when I was gingerly trying to slide it off to put a drive in.

Seriously, this thing is a piece of junk and this company should be ashamed of themselves.

AVOID!

Daredevil Rider Pro
Daredevil Rider Pro
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Too difficult and lame. -- Bonus: Contains adware., June 16, 2014
This review is from: Daredevil Rider Pro (App)
Way, WAY too difficult. The game controls sluggishly yet is extremely unforgiving-- a frustrating combination indeed.

As a "bonus," both Flurry analytics and Flurry advertising code are embedded in this "pro" app without any disclosure. Well, if they won't disclose, then I will.

This isn't worth the trouble, even as a FAOTD. I recommend you just skip this one.

Orrery
Orrery
Price: $1.91

2.0 out of 5 stars Close is not good enough., June 15, 2014
This review is from: Orrery (App)
An educational app should have its facts straight. And no mention of the exoplanets is also a huge negative.

I do love the graphics and for that I give one extra star but an educational app that is inaccurate or incomplete is simply not working. I cannot recommend something that teaches facts wrong, ultimately.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20