Profile for A.L.F. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A.L.F. RSS Feed (Portland, OR USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Beautiful Crystal Lotus Flower -4"-
Beautiful Crystal Lotus Flower -4"-
Offered by LUOS CULTURAL GOODS (USA SELLER)
Price: $12.00
12 used & new from $8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Ginzuishou replica!, July 14, 2012
I too bought this item for its similarity to Sailor Moon's crystal. The item arrived promptly, in a nice gift box with lots of padding. It is larger than it looks in the pictures! Very heavy and solid. The crystal would be perfect for anyone cosplaying, as it is close in scale to the "real" version.

Yotsuba&!, Vol. 6
Yotsuba&!, Vol. 6
by Kiyohiko Azuma
Price: $10.08
62 used & new from $5.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad it's back, but..., October 1, 2009
This review is from: Yotsuba&!, Vol. 6 (Paperback)
So basically everyone with any heart at all loves Yotsuba&!. When ADV stopped putting out volumes I was crushed, but my happiness was restored when I heard Yen would be picking it up.

Then I bought it.

Third person. THIRD PERSON. Ugh! It really takes away from the image I had of Yotsuba: A whip-smart young lady with an undeniably precious innocence. Her calling herself Yotsuba is degrading, and it seems contrived. Yotsuba does not need assistance in being cute! ADV's translations were often spotty but this is one tradition I wish Yen had kept. And if, perchance, they read these reviews, please consider changing it for future volumes.

Jarring fonts. Yotsuba often speaks in a different font from everyone else. There's a rule for any sort of design, and that's use as few fonts as possible. Once you start throwing fonts in willy-nilly, things just get messy. While different fonts are used in the original versions of many manga (and look to Viz's translated Honey and Clover for a great example of English fonts being used like the original), Yotsubato! neither has nor needs this. It's not that sort of comic. Using different fonts for effect is fine, but one character should not have their own special font independent of everything else. Anyway, tangent.

The copy on the back of the book gets on my nerves, too.

But! Before you pounce on me saying I hate it, I don't. I love Yotsuba, her world, and the sense of innocence she brings back to my jaded adult life. When Yotsuba is waiting for her father to get the eclairs for snack time, I felt suspense. When she took her job very seriously and put signs on everything, my heart lightened. On her milk delivery, my heart went out to her father, yet also smiled at Yotsuba's sweet and straightforward nature. I don't know how Kiyohiko Azuma can do it.

In short, this volume has its flaws, but none of them are from the pen of the creator. Everyone should read this manga, for in Yotsuba's world, every day is the greatest day. Try to take that to heart.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

Rhythm Tengoku
Rhythm Tengoku

5.0 out of 5 stars The best GBA game. Period., October 30, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rhythm Tengoku (Video Game)
The first time I got to play Rhythm Tengoku was thanks to a friend of mine who's a big importer. I wasn't too sweet on Wario Ware - I like the idea, but it just seemed repetative. And, since RT is made by the same development team as Wario Ware, I was ready to write it off as more of the same.

Oh man, am I glad I played this game.

When you start off, you are made to take a rhythm test. The game plays you a beat, and you push the A button in time to varying tempos. Once you've perfected that, you get to move on to the main game. There are eight "levels" in all, each with five minigames and one Remix - however, the final two "levels" are harder versions of previous games. No matter.

This is a rhythm game (of course!) and the music shines. Oh, how it shines. Tsunku, who is the mastermind behind Hello! Project (girl groups like Morning Musume, MiniMoni, Berryz, etc.), pulled out all the stops. The sounds from this tiny GBA cartridge are amazing. The music is varied in style and theme. From super-traditional Japanese music (like Fireworks and Bon Odori), to happy pop songs (Honey Sweet Angel of Love, my personal favorite), and countless instrumental hits.

What do you do in the game? Press the A button, and sometimes the D-pad.

Is that it?

Yeah, but it's amazing. Your sense of rhythm will be tested, sometimes annoyingly (I hate you, Quiz Show), but every game is completely addictive and completely doable. Some of my favorites are Night Walk, which has you as a little guy who must jump in time to the beat, across perilous platforms, while a starry sky passes by in the background. Air Batter has you as a baseball star swatting at (mostly) baseballs tossed up by a pitching machine. Showtime has you as a penguin trainer, and you must guide three types of penguin through their stage tricks. If I described every single game, it would take far too much space, so let me conclude by saying you must play it to believe some of the things that happen.

As I mentioned, this was developed by the same team as Wario Ware, so you will see the same visual influence and odd sense of humor throughout Rhythm Tengoku. If you don't chuckle at least once, then that is unfortunate.

Along with the main game there are Rhythm Toys (such as a horse machine and a love confession device) and drum lessons, which I did not much go for.

This game is completely in Japanese, but most every minigame is prefaced by a tutorial that will let you try until you figure it out. Everything that doesn't have a tutorial is self-explanatory, like hit a baseball! Or punch a rock! You just have to be on the beat, and you can grasp what task is at hand.

Rhythm Tengoku is bar none the best of the rhythm games I've played, and I have played a few. It seems very simple on the outside, but you soon realize that behind the bright graphics are some twistedly difficult passages. And the music! If you are a fan of the rhythm genre, do yourself a favor and try this game. It is very much worth your time.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2009 1:13 AM PDT

Di Gi Charat: The Original Series
Di Gi Charat: The Original Series
DVD ~ Artist Not Provided

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Di Gi Charat!, June 3, 2005
When I went to Broccoli's panel at the Fanime convention, I was waiting to hear news of this. The Di Gi Charat original series finally released domestically - and in such a killer box set! Here's what you'll be getting:

-The DVD with all 16 episodes

-A "Party Night" CD single

-Jewelry box

-Figures of Dejiko, Puchiko, and Usada

-A voucher for a t-shirt that resembles the one Takeshi wears, with the stretched-out Dejiko face (the Broccoli rep explained they included a voucher so you could select what size shirt you want)

-A DGC manga

-Booklet with translation notes and other informations

This is the essential Di Gi Charat release that many American fans have been looking forward to. I'm so glad Broccoli finally was able to release the series here. If you enjoy off-the-wall, cute, and funny anime, Di Gi Charat will be great for you nyo!

Manga University Presents Costume Collection: A Day in the Life of a Japanese Schoolgirl (English and Japanese Edition)
by Manga University
Price: $15.91
24 used & new from $2.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Posefile, October 3, 2004
Apart from being moderately vouyeristic, this is an excellent book for aspiring artists who just can't draw bodies or complex poses. I think there are some people who would buy this just for pictures of cute models in schoolgirl uniforms - but it's really useful! In one of the better sections, the book discusses the parts of kimono/yukata, giving the Japanese name and the English equivalent.

The poses are good, the girls are cute. I recommend this book!

Adam N Eve
Adam N Eve
25 used & new from $1.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Through the garden and beyond., July 3, 2004
This review is from: Adam N Eve (Audio CD)
Adam 'n' Eve is a compelling album. As to be expected from Gavin Friday, each song changes the feel of the album. From the hopeful beginnings of "I Want to Live" to the come Hell or high water atmosphere of "Wind and Rain," you might indeed say Adam 'n' Eve is a journey through a forbidden garden. The album's high point is, in my opinion, "Fun and Experience," which (if we can take the album's title as a clue to what the songs are all about) touches on the downfall of paradise, with the knowledge and experience bought dear.
Adam 'n' Eve isn't Gavin Friday's best work, but this is an album you will enjoy, if you have a passing interest in experimental/lounge/pop/rock/folk/whatever.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2011 3:30 AM PDT

Shag Tobacco
Shag Tobacco
32 used & new from $0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Voice that melts butter..., July 3, 2004
This review is from: Shag Tobacco (Audio CD)
Gavin Friday is a very talented and varied artist, and his 'Shag Tobacco' is an album you will most certainly want to own. Mr. Friday's haunting vocals are superb, his voice ranging from deep and sultry, to a falsetto, to a teasing lounge lizard. Each song presents you with a different atmosphere, never giving into one style. Maurice Seezer's masterful playing of many instruments adds a whole new layer to Gavin's vocals. From the accordion to the bass flute (which is very beautiful and rarely heard ever, as far as my musical knowledge takes me), it's like a fine icing on a cake full of surprises. I'm really good at metaphors.
In any case, if you enjoy the sort of mellow/in-your-face sort of experimental music, get this album now. Actually, get it now anyway. It's that good.

Super Mario Bros. - Classic NES Series
Super Mario Bros. - Classic NES Series
Offered by Legendary Games
Price: $114.90
45 used & new from $19.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Life, June 8, 2004
What other games out there do you have completely memorized? Any games that you took to heart, loved, played over and over, wished they never ended? And now, look at it. They sell old oversized carts at Game Crazy for a quarter. My childhood is worth a quarter.
But now, it's worth $20! That's gotta be an improvement.
What I love about this release is this: It is exactly the same game on the NES. No "Mario Advance" treatment, no bells and whistles. This is your childhood's Mario, the way you remember it. Before there was anything, there was this. How dare you scorn our roots? You call yourselves gamers yet you look away from where we came. This game, this simple, fun, addicting, sometimes challenging game - this is the grandaddy of platformers. I am going to bet there is no one single game that even a complete non-game-player can look at and say "Hey, I know that game." Everyone knows Mario. Think about that for a moment.
The cart itself is great. Using the same-colored plastic as the original NES carts was a nice touch.
I still enjoy this game, this game I've had since before I remember. And I am glad Nintendo gave it to us, since my NES stopped working recently. Thank you, Nintendo, for letting me remember my childhood, and knowing that it isn't worth twenty-five cents.
Now if only you could find a way to port Duck Hunt...

Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Offered by Legendary Games
Price: $114.95
89 used & new from $11.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back to Dinosaur Land, June 8, 2004
Has it really been 14 years? The same game that I remembered getting the Christmas it came out, it bundled with the Super Nintendo, it being the game I was unable to put down? The same game I played at 6 or 7, coming back to me now at 20?
Yes. And still every bit as enjoyable - though easier to clear this time around.
The shining masterpiece of Mario gameplay, the pinnacle of platform gaming: Super Mario World. Why didn't I buy you sooner? I missed your fun gameplay, your expansive levels, your multicolored Yoshi pals, your secrets, your everything.
Oh, hi. Buy this game.
Why? It is everything a platform game should be, and now it can fit in the palm of your hand (or you can stick it in your Gameboy Player and remember the olden golden days). 96 goals to clear, hundreds of Dragon Coins to collect, a huge worldmap.. SMW should be in every game enthusiast's library. The colorful graphics are top-notch, the controls are so tight they're second nature, the music is fun and takes a while to get on your nerves (especially in the @&@#(!## Special World level where you have to float Balloon Mario across the map and no I swear it didn't take me over 30 tries).
Updates. Luigi is no longer purple! There's a new intro explaining how Peach gets captured this time. The majority of levels have Dragon Coins, including castles and ghost houses, and the game keeps track of them. Once you collect them all, you'll get a neato surprise. You can now modify the color of Yoshi you get. Once you clear all 96 goals, you can warp to whatever level you wish using the new staus screen that shows you how many Dragon Coins you've collected on each level, all the goals you've gone through, and if you beat the level using Mario or Luigi. Yeah, you can choose to play as Luigi now. He's got his wiggly jump from the GBA Super Mario 2. I haven't used him cos it's akin to sacrilige, so I can't tell you if playing him is any fun or not.
But this game is most certainly fun. Please, please buy it if you haven't already. I personally guarantee you will not regret owning this classic piece of console history.

Game Boy Advance SP Classic NES
Game Boy Advance SP Classic NES
41 used & new from $66.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Nintendo, how I worship thee, June 8, 2004
Being a child of the mid to late 80s, a Nintendo was my life for much of my youth. Fond memories of Mario and Zelda and Tetris abound. As the Nintendo (what everyone calls an NES these days, but back then it was just a "Nintendo," then the SNES was the "Super Nintendo") was a beautiful piece of work, so is this GBA SP.
I had been putting off getting an SP. I'd bought a GBA when it came out, and by golly it was good enough for me until the DS. But a chance meeting with a preview article of the Classic Series melted any reservations I had about re-buying a Gameboy.
As I write this, the beautiful, sensual GBA is sitting on my desk. I will not lie about my fervent Nintendo fangirlism, so the rest of this review will probably sound kinda weird to any of you new-generation Sony worshippers.
The sleek lines of this handheld blow me away every time I look at it. Surely it is superior to every previous iteration of the SP. The slightly shiny silver outside - complete with a row of lines representing the top of the NES console. A classic red and black Nintendo oval logo complete the top half. The bottom as you may expect remains true to its roots as well. But the real prize is inside the flip-top screen.
Open up this GBA SP and prepare to remember why Nintendo is your god. The original Nintendo controller represented in new, squareish glory. The D-pad and buttons are a bit different, sure, but everything else makes me want to dig up my old controllers and stare at them, then switch to the SP, then switch again. It's really beautiful.
The SP, even with the new improved backlight, does kinda sit a bit uncomfortably in your hands compared with the first GBA. Plus the headphones thing (where you need a special adapter, etc). BUT! For anyone who has even ever ~looked at an NES, this GBA SP will make you want one. It has a tantalizing, hypnotic song that it will sing to you.
So, if you're debating whether or not you really need a GBA SP, the answer is now a resounding YES!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 2:17 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2