Profile for Julie Burke > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Julie Burke RSS Feed (Bayou Vista, TX United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
I'll Give You the Sun
I'll Give You the Sun
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99
12 used & new from $9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars A Joyous, Painful, Ginormously Big-Hearted Book, March 16, 2015
Haven't bothered to write a review in ages, and I don't usually give 5 stars, but this is one joyous, painful, ginormously big-hearted book. Listened to it on my commute and made excuses to drive. It's a book of art and artistry, relationships, family, death, screwing up, forgiving and being forgiven. It’s also stunningly descriptive of young emotional lives and first loves. Made my heart sing. The kind of book where you think about the characters when you’re going about your business.

“We wish with our hands, that’s what we do as artists.”

“My heart leaves, hitchhikes right out of my body, heads north, catches a ferry across the Bering Sea and plants itself in Siberia with the polar bears and ibex and long-horned goats until it turns into a teeny-tiny glacier.”

“He floated into the air high above the sleeping forest, his green hat spinning a few feet above his head. In his hand was the open suitcase and out of it spilled a whole sky of stars.”

“Or maybe a person is just made up of a lot of people,” I say. “Maybe we’re accumulating these new selves all the time.” Hauling them in as we make choices, good and bad, as we screw up, step up, lose our minds, find our minds, fall apart, fall in love, as we grieve, grow, retreat from the world, dive into the world, as we make things, as we break things.”

“Sometimes you think you know things, know things very deeply, only to realize you don’t know a damn thing.”

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
114 used & new from $47.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice First Release!, November 26, 2011
After "Playing with Fire" for a few days, I declare it's a winner. I wanted a color, touch screen e-reader, the ability to stream Netflix (works and LOOKS great!) and to be able to surf and read email. I can also transfer stuff from my computer easily (books, pics, music, etc.) NOTE: You will need a micro USB to trasfer items to your Fire. Surfing speed is just fine. There are a few layout quirks that we seem to be locked into that I'd like to change (hopefully there will be updates to change this), but for a first run out of the gate, Amazon did a great job bringing this to market at an affordable price. Hopefully we'll see a lot more apps from developers. As amazon.com continues to be my go-to online shopping store, I'm happy to shop easily on the Fire -- how nice of them to make it so simple! ;-) While I prefer the apple platform to android, this fills the bill nicely for a pimped out e-reader with a great price tag.

Premium White USB Data / Charging Adapter Adaptor for Apple 2nd Generation Shuffle
Offered by Theo&Cleo
Price: $3.25
5 used & new from $3.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Your Shuffle, January 4, 2008
I LOVE my ipod shuffle (1st, 2nd and now 3rd gen owner), but I LOATHE the stupid dock the 2d and 3rd come with. It's fragile and skittish to say the least. Do yourself a favor and get this little guy. It's cheap and dependable. What more could you want?

Seagate ST302504FDA1E1-RK FreeAgent Desktop 250 GB 3.5" USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
2 used & new from $49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Drive, January 4, 2008
OK, I've only just plugged this badboy in, but I love it and for the price, for my purposes, this is a great buy. I d/l tons of music and audiobooks -- literally "plugnplay", and within a couple of clicks I transferred 30G of goodies that were slogging my lowly small hd over to the Seagate. Great little drive and the 5 year warranty is a nice touch. So far, so good.

Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Novels)
Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Novels)
by Dean Koontz
Edition: Audio CD
28 used & new from $2.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not his best..., December 15, 2006
I really like the idea of this series, especially the "searching soul" aspects of young Odd, particularly in this edition's monastic setting. However, Koontz's characterization of him as a cherubic smart-alec does wear on one a bit. What really doesn't fit is Koontz's political kvetching spoken through Odd. The kid is far too young to have such a monstrous right-leaning cultural belly ache. Clearly, these ramblings are the author's thinly-veiled soap box issues which grow more strident with each Odd installment. I can only hope that Koontz's editors will tell him to shut up already and do what he does best. It's a shame to waste simplistic grandstanding on such an amazing and unusual young man. Plus, there's always room in the non-fiction section where he can vent his frustrations.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2008 10:00 PM PDT

No Human Involved
No Human Involved
by Barbara Seranella
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
71 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Munch ain't no munchkin, August 22, 2005
Munch Mancini may only be a whisp of a thing size-wise, but she's got it goin' on in the character department. I thoroughly enjoyed Seranella's creations and look forward to getting to know them better with her subsequent novels. Her depiction of Munch's addiction and forays into 12 step recovery are quite accurate with the notable exception of getting step 9 wrong -- amends are to be made despite possible harm to self; a small but surprising mistake given the attention to detail she shows.

As a fan of gallows humor, I appreciated Detective Mace St. John and his dark realism. "The victim arrived at the emergency department DOA ASTW." -- Dead on Arrival and Stayed That Way. But he's not a uni-dimensional toughskin either. Without giving away the end, there's a nice breeze of gee, people can change...even junkies. Good show, and I'm off to start the next in the series.

The Killer Inside Me
The Killer Inside Me
by Jim Thompson
123 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you were to look up "sociopath" in the dictionary..., August 18, 2005
This review is from: The Killer Inside Me (Paperback)
...you'd find Lou Ford front and center. Thompson does a masterful job of sucking you into his character's mind and corrosive evil-thinking; in fact, I had a tough time going back to sleep after finishing the book at 3 am -- wanted to wash the scum out of my head but was unwilling to brave the dark to hit the shower. Thompson certainly knows how to create a creepy feeling.

Current mystery writers would do well to study Thompson's attention to detail in his character development: many can wind a suspenseful yarn yet lack the ability to make the characters jump off the page. What a boon for us that his stories have been resurrected.

Fat Girls and Lawn Chairs
Fat Girls and Lawn Chairs
by Cheryl Peck
120 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the book cover..., August 10, 2005
...and I suppose that's what I get for judging it by its cover. I expected the book to be funny bordering on side-splitting since Peck has been compared to Erma Bombeck. But where Bombeck was hilariously wise and self-deprecating without groveling, it's hard to believe Peck is in her 50s. While reading I kept picturing a kid with a copy of "Increase Your Vocabulary Overnight!" trying too hard to be funny -- her writing is often irritatingly choppy and even worse, contrived.

Apparently the book was originally written just for the amusement of family and friends, and perhaps I am being unfair by virtue of my own high expectations. But more often than not, Peck's stories fall flat into that stale silence immediately following what *you* thought was funny, yet wind up red-faced and mumbling, "Well, guess you had to be there..."

How All This Started: A Novel
How All This Started: A Novel
by Pete Fromm
Price: $16.93
85 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Heat, August 5, 2005
I spent some kid years in Texas and Fromm's dirt-dry desert depictions are spot on. His characters are highly memorable, especially high-flyin' Abilene...made me grateful that I've only got the depressive side of "manic-depression". Whooo doggies. There were times when even I felt trapped in her careening beater of a truck (poor thing), times when I nearly said, stop this book, I gotta get out! If you've ever lived with a bi-polar, you'll know the feeling.

Life in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the desert..."but it's a dry heat", my tail. Sometimes I think folks in hell find themselves saying, "heck, it's hotter'n Texas in here!" Be sure to settle in to read with a tall glass of sweet tea...you'll feel parched and wind-blown by the end.

Lieberman's Day (Henry Holt Mystery Series)
Lieberman's Day (Henry Holt Mystery Series)
by Stuart M. Kaminsky
57 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lieberman's a Love!, July 29, 2005
I've just discovered Kaminsky and I must say Leiberman and Hanrahan just walked right off the pages. All of Kaminsky's characters are truly "characters". No vapid plots or dialogue either. Just the right mix of suspense, humor, cop-speak and life at the dinner table. Highly memorable...Leiberman's the Jewish grandfather I never had and never knew I wanted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3