Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for book worm > Reviews

Browse

book worm's Profile

Customer Reviews: 101

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

book worm RSS Feed (library bookstacks)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Egg Pan, Very Sticky Label..., April 9, 2009
After reading an article in Gourmet, instructing the basics of omelets and the use of an 8 inch black steel pan, I am ordering a second of these pans. This pan is really great in making omelets - or so my husband says - he's the egg man - all I can say is that the omelets taste great!!!! and are omlet shaped unlike past omelets made in a completely different pan. The only sticky point is the label that it arrives with - it is very sticky and when removing the label, a thin film of glue is left behind on the pan. You need to follow the directions to the T - cooking potato skins and salt really does remove the glue. I was very skeptical, but it actually works and you'll have a great pan.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 7:47 PM PST

Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
by Carole Ann Camp
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $11.52
135 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, July 30, 2008
There is something wrong when one has to do the proofreading before following a pattern. Does anybody proofread before publishing, especially when math is so crucial to pattern writing. Much to my major disappointment, when I finally pull the book out to sew a skirt with much anticipation and expectation after buying a pretty piece of fabric at a very pretty price and proceed in following the directions to make a semi-circular wrap-skirt, and having cut accordingly, I discover that the math is completely off. N.B. Do not divide the final waistline measurement by 6. This is incorrect information. Yeah, I didn't end up with the skirt I had in mind... and I don't give praises for books that give the wrong information and can cause one much grief and an emptier wallet than initially planned.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2012 9:26 PM PST

The Kite Runner (Riverhead Essential Editions)
The Kite Runner (Riverhead Essential Editions)
by Khaled Hosseini
Price: $13.75
332 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start becomes boring and predictable; It's Marlon and Not Al, February 11, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the beginning part of the book, about the main characters' childhood growing up in Afghanistan, until the book reaches its turning point, and thus the book, too, takes a turn for the worse, becoming very predictable and boring, filled with plot twists that seem to only exist for no real purposes in the storytelling, other than to flesh out the story and be twisty, turvy with the plot. Some of the plot is not even realistic (I don't think a little kid would do what Sohrab does... would that thought even cross a little kid's mind? I don't think so. A teenager, yes, a little kid, no.) It really makes no sense. And, after learning and spending so much time following the story of Amir and his father, I feel my intelligence is further insulted when the author has to spell out exactly what was going through the characters minds. Ummmm, I think I understand that Amir's father was not very talkative, especially about such intimate things as feelings and other things. The book just kept getting progressively worse and worse, with sentences getting gramatically choppier and choppier, often times lacking a subject. Was the author wanting to turn the book more into an action story? The ending of the book does not match the tone and intent of its beginning. There is nothing redeeming in the story. What a shame. Such a beautiful beginning. It read very much like a first piece of work.

And yea, it's Marlon Brando, not Al Pacino, that talks gruffly (as well as unintelligibly, with his cheeks absurdly stuffed with Kleenex - what an insult to Italian Americans) in the Godfather. Does anybody edit anymore????

A Year in Japan
A Year in Japan
by Kate T. Williamson
Price: $16.82
89 used & new from $5.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Armchair Travel Book, October 28, 2007
This review is from: A Year in Japan (Paperback)
As a child, I always had the fantasy of digging a hole all the way through to the other side of the world and taking a peek at life there. This book allows me to relive this fantasy. It is truly a gem and a breath of fresh air. As a kind of picture book for adults, it is filled with wonderful illustrations and interesting tidbits on life in Japan. It is a very relaxing book and a pure joy to read. Even though this book can be read in one sitting, I felt like I had traveled to Japan and back. Williamson does an outstanding job in presenting Japanese life, traditions, and culture.

Knitting Never Felt Better: The Definitive Guide to Fabulous Felting
Knitting Never Felt Better: The Definitive Guide to Fabulous Felting
by Nicky Epstein
130 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Why????, August 14, 2007
Maybe there is something I just ain't getting. Why would anybody spend the time knitting a complex color/stitch pattern and then felt it? Why would you want to destroy a piece of work that has beautiful progressions of stitches into a piece of felt with funky-looking holes???? I can see if one has made a mistake, or received such a piece of knitting in a God-awful color, etc. etc. Perhaps, it would be better to felt than to toss.

There are some good ideas in here on different ways to manipulate the knitted fabric to make forms and some color patterns that would look pretty cool felted.

I just think some things are better left unfelted.

The Nature-Friendly Garden: Creating a Backyard Haven for Animals, Plants, and People
by Marlene A. Condon
38 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Slowly Warming up to Squirrels, thanks to this book..., May 29, 2007
I really liked this book on gardening and getting to know the wildlife in your backyard. Marlene Condon makes a good case for gardening in sync with nature versus gardening trying to fight nature, which always proves to be a never-ending. losing battle. I also appreciated very much the tips on feeding birds, and trying to understand the wildlife. The squirrels here in this neck of the woods are a very strange breed, very confrontational, rambunctious; one squirrel had a staring contest with me one morning when I knocked on the window to get it away from some things I had planted. They dug into all the container gardens I put outside, ate my bulbs - I was contamplating squirrel stew for a moment. This book has helped me overcome the squirel problem in a way; I'm sure the owl, or was it a hawk, a cat??? that had a certain squirrel snack on the deck also helped, too. Very inspirational with good tips on gardening. I think she should nearly have a call-in show on public radio....

The Dancing Girls of Lahore: Selling Love and Saving Dreams in Pakistan's Ancient Pleasure District
by Louise T. Brown
Price: $23.95
78 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful Portrayal of Lahore, Pakistan, March 13, 2007
Although I found this book to be almost too depressing to continue reading, this was a very interesting, well written book. Louise Brown gives an in-depth point of view of daily life in Lahore, following the lives of several characters and families as she personally visits them over a seven year period. Through her portrayal of their lives, one can gain a great understanding of a world and culture so completely different from our own. I found it very sad to learn that children are really truly being exploited in that part of the world and because it is just so accepted as a norm, the cycle continually repeats itself.

Very well written, honest, and truthful.

Riley's Fire
Riley's Fire
by Lee Merrill Byrd
Price: $19.95
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant, Insightful, December 29, 2006
This review is from: Riley's Fire (Hardcover)
This book is written in the point of view of a seven-year old burn victim from the time he is admitted at the burn center and is finally well enough to be released to go back home. I found the book to be well-written, providing insight into a world we hardly see and the ways tragedy can effect more than what is visible and physical. The reader is placed in Riley's shoes, as he progresses from being barely conscious to becoming aware of his surroundings to ever-so slowly regaining his health. It is only later in the book that we learn how seriously Riley had been injured and was recovering. The characters in this book are taken for a ride by life that no one would have ever have asked for and the book portrays the different ways these tragic events have had an effect and the different ways those involved react, some of them maybe even more tragic than the event itself. When reading this book, I am reminded of a boy I went to school with, who was a burn victim, and how when I first saw him, I was deathly afraid. This book explores this topic very well, how the victims can look like monsters, even to themselves, but are still very much human and very much in need of basic human needs.

Despite being a tear-jerker and sad, I enjoyed reading this book and I am especially struck by the book's portrayal of the will us humans have to survive despite odds and mounting obstacles.

Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Price: $11.86
165 used & new from $1.42

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Basic Inspirational Knitting Book, December 28, 2006
My mother had attempted unsuccessfully to teach me knitting when I was a young gal. When I really wanted to learn how to knit much later on, I taught myself from this book. This book contains the very basics of knitting from start to finish, and then branches out into various projects: a slew of different styles of sweaters, socks, mittens. The greatest thing about Zimmerman's books is her can-do spirit, making knitting less daunting and more approachable. She provides a fool-proof formula for knitting sweaters to fit anyone -all knit seamlessly on circular needles, simplifying the whole process. I have to mention here, that her method for certain styles of sweaters entail taking out the scissors and cutting into the knitted fabric that has just been labored ever so much over. This can be a very hard thing to do, but it works, believe it or not - and it works very well. (Just make sure you follow the directions before you cut and sew with sewing machine before cutting...) I personally do not enjoy this method, and have worked around this step (by turning around and knitting back). Regardless, her basic formula for shaping sweaters is flawless and most worthy to note. Anyone with basic knitting knowledge can take out a pair of circular needles and some yarn, and after careful measurements, start knitting a sweater.

Elizabeth states in her book that although there is no wrong way to knit, she advocates the "German," or Continental way. One will primarily learn the Continental way of knitting in her books; she does say, however, that it is good to know both methods, especially with two-color knitting, with one color of yarn in one hand and the other yarn in the other hand.

I find myself reaching for this book again and again, when I have forgotten and need to know how to do some very basic, but vital, steps.

44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street Series, Book 1)
44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street Series, Book 1)
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: $12.61
497 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, December 3, 2006
This book was a little slow in the beginning - I was just about to toss it aside thinking it had all this character development and no action - when it finally kicked in and I couldn't put it down. There are some very interesting and funny characters in here, which provide a further in depth portrayal of Edinburgh, Scotland where the story takes place. The reading can feel a little staccato; the chapters are only a couple of pages long, but that can be expectd since they were first published as a daily series in THE SCOTSMAN newspaper. There are many funny stories in here, and when I reached the last page, only one of these gets resolved, which is a little disappointing but nonetheless, they were so amusing and funny, they are still very enjoyable. I eagerly await for the second volume.

Funny stories about Edinburgh and the folks who live there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11