Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
Profile for J. Thomas > Reviews

Browse

J. Thomas' Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Thomas RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
RCA EZ5100R Small Wonder Palm Style HD 1080P Digital Camcorder (Black/Slver) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
2 used & new from $216.43

2.0 out of 5 stars not bad quality, but bad surprises waiting, August 13, 2013
I got this cam for free from a rewards program, so at least I'm not out anything. They should charge about 50 bucks for this. It works pretty consistently, but the following two things are potential wipe-outs awaiting:

- if you plan to do any tripod shooting, beware! The mount (little plastic cylinder) is garbage waiting to break. The mount sticks up above the surface of the camera a little, so you can't get the tripod platform to tighten down enough to grip it, i.e. the camera wants to spin around on the mount. If you try to tighten it down... it breaks out of the camera and then you're hosed. I am good enough with glue & tools that I fixed it enough to make it work, but if you're not, no more tripod shooting for you with this thing.

- all of a sudden the other day, the focus/zoom mechanism just quit, for no particular reason. It wouldn't come into focus. Then suddenly, it just decided to wake up. It may quit totally one of these days or it may not.

Summary: this thing is too lightweight and cheaply made to deserve the price they want for it. Anything you want to use with a tripod should have a solid metal screw mount, flush with the camera surface. See the other reviews for other pos/neg features.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2013 9:14 AM PDT

N. C. Wyeth: A Biography
N. C. Wyeth: A Biography
by David Michaelis
37 used & new from $2.47

3.0 out of 5 stars a little tedious, but good, May 7, 2013
I got this book from the library as I adore N.C.Wyeth's stuff. I've read most of it, and it's got a lot of detail on his development as an artist, his "graduation" from the Pyle school, etc, but there is (I feel) WAY too much gory detail about Wyeth's psychotic/neurotic mother. He could have cut that stuff in half, at least. Though she is relevant to his personality background, someone interested in Wyeth's art development just doesn't need to hear about all the letter exchanges, etc, etc, with his mom. Too bad. It just makes for tedious "wading" that I can do without. Hence I wouldn't buy it, just let the library provide it for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2014 9:45 AM PDT

Gardeneer By Dalen Natural Enemy Scarecrow Great Horned Owl
Gardeneer By Dalen Natural Enemy Scarecrow Great Horned Owl
Price: $22.33
55 used & new from $10.51

4.0 out of 5 stars for the uninformed about crows...., June 17, 2012
For those of you who are expecting this to "scarecrow" (i.e. scare crows, particularly, like customer "Abdelaziz")... see "Fighting setup" in para 3 of this:

[...]

Crows will ATTACK a great horned owl, they are enemies. It is used to attract crows, then trap or kill them (remember crows are federally protected so use judgement). Dunno what to say about doves or other birds, some reviews say it scares them off, or not. The one customer observed that as owls are nocturnal, a "day bird" like pigeons probably wouldn't recognize them, outdoors. Good luck.

Bushnell PowerView 20x50 Super High-Powered Surveillance Binoculars
Bushnell PowerView 20x50 Super High-Powered Surveillance Binoculars
Price: $61.45
197 used & new from $52.23

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!, January 4, 2012
Do not buy these, they are good looking but flimsy junk. I should have known when when I opened the first pair (in the store) and noticed that one of the barrels was severely bent sideways. "Bad batch" I thought, and asked for another pair, which focused correctly, etc. Sometime in the next month they took a little banging somewhere, nothing major, but suddenly they were out of alignment. One of the plates that the front barrels mount on had just popped out, they are not even screwed on really, just pressed in or something. I sent them back to Bushnell but as they were out of warranty they wanted $56 to repair, I told them they could trash them. It will be a happy day when it will be too expensive for these big companies to make their junk in China and sell it here. Things may get more expensive to buy, but at least they will be local where they will have to up their standards or face the market consequences.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2016 12:04 PM PST

Campbell Hausfeld FP209599AV 2-Gallon Mini Twin-Stack Air Compressor with 1 1/4-Inch 2-in-1 Brad Nailer / Stapler Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars good for a year but...., April 28, 2011
This was a dependable compressor, for about a year. Then the compression just totally quit. The piston gasket, I think, is the weak link. I took it apart and it's a very simple one piston arrangement with a plastic gasket. To fix you have to order a whole new motor/piston part set, about 35 bucks. Not a crisis but I think it should have lasted longer, this was just moderate use. I replaced it with a Senco which, for about 40 bucks more, pumps up in about half the time and is half as loud. Just do the Senco I'd say.

Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY
Macally USB Slim Keyboard - ICEKEY
3 used & new from $16.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, and SERVICE, April 10, 2011
I type all day and was looking for a keyboard that would double on a Mac and Windows machine, and this is really fine. Extremely light and fast response, nice heavy base. I got a rare chance to test a keyboard dealer's customer & repair service and was very impressed. The keys use a sort of suspension mechanism, with some little plastic 'forks', and the '1' key along the top started binding within a month or so. They gave me an RMA number and I sent it back and within 2 weeks they sent me what appeared to be a brand new keyboard, don't know if this fixed my old one themselves or what, but all keys work fine and no trouble at all since then. Highly recommended.

PSCWT2 PSCWT2 2OUTLET FLAT PANEL POWER CONDITIONER
PSCWT2 PSCWT2 2OUTLET FLAT PANEL POWER CONDITIONER
Offered by TopQualityMisc
Price: $29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars you might need something else, July 26, 2009
I bought this gadget to try to solve a bad "pop" that was coming through my audio amp & speakers because the amp is on very multi-use circuit in a small apartment. There are fans, microwave ovens, etc, all on the same circuit. Anytime the fan or microwave would go off, I get this "POP" that is not good for the speakers, of course. To sum it up: this power conditioner does NOT handle that kind of thing. I don't know what it IS supposed to handle, but it doesn't filter that surges like that (my electrician told me there really wasn't a way to filter out such things, a little late). I would return it if it wasn't such an insignificant amount (7 bucks). As well, the ground-check indicator does not seem to work, I know the circuit is grounded (three-prong outlet), but the device doesn't seem to detect it. It seems like one of those "feel good" gadgets that doesn't really help anything. If you really need your power line filtered, I'd do some research and get something really good that actually does something.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2009 11:14 PM PDT

Foreign Mud, Being an Account of the Opium Imbroglio at Canton in the 1830's & The Anglo-Chinese War that followed
by Maurice Collis
18 used & new from $10.37

5.0 out of 5 stars a teen could read it, June 12, 2009
I'd wanted to learn about the history of the British opium affair in China for a long time. Don't know if this could be the best account of events, but it could be. In spite of the copyright date of 1946, it is extremely easy to read and moves right along, concisely relating the situation and opinions in Britain (on both sides of the fence) re: the drug trade. I was surprised to learn they were actually ashamed of it in one way. But as we all know, they weren't ashamed enough to let it get in the way of keeping India afloat for them. One thing: if you're looking for extended combat accounts of the war, this isn't it. The actual "war" is sort of a postscript in the book, and that's all it needs to be in this writing. I highly recommend it.

Catherine the Great and the Expansion of Russia
Catherine the Great and the Expansion of Russia
by Gladys Scott Thomson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
8 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A quick look, not bad, May 18, 2008
I wanted to read something that would give me a "next chapter" in the big history of Russia following my read of Massie's "Peter the Great", which is dynamite. This title, first released in 1947, last printed in 1967, is a good concise look at C the Great's reign, but it is a little tedious to read. The writing style reminds you of Sir Walter Scott, many overly-comma'd sentences / paragraphs. Thomson was probably one of those exceedingly scholarly writers who thought that was a good style, but it's heavy. The content gives good coverage of C the Great's relationship with Frederick the Great; and especially her moves with Austria & Prussia against Poland and the Turks. It also gives a good quick picture of life in St. Petersburg at the time, as well as a whole chapter devoted to the serf & workers uprising under the rebel leader Pugachev, which is very enlightening. Also covers her relationship with Potemkin, but notably it gives only a passing reference to all her sexual excesses (of which I've read almost nothing, just heard about it). It is devoid of the tabloid approach that appears to occupy a lot of other books on her you'll see in the Amazon lists. This is political history folks. A good auxiliary, and quick, look at her life and times.

Goethe's Faust
Goethe's Faust
by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Price: $9.38
292 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars a better translation..., February 26, 2008
This review is from: Goethe's Faust (Paperback)
All due respect to the reviewers so far (to which descriptions of the story I need not add), I have to say that for me the best translation of this epic is by Phillip Wayne, and I wish I could find a decent hardback version of his. Wayne, I thought, has a dry subtlety to his that the others I've gazed at don't have. He rhymes with great dexterity but without an "in your face" feel to it. It grabbed me from just a brief flip-through at a used bookstore, otherwise I probably never would have tried to read Faust. On a recent search I think I saw no less than five different translations, all of which I'd like to check out.

Page: 1 | 2