Profile for Miss Barbara > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1958

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Miss Barbara RSS Feed (Orange CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Incipio OffGRID Portable Backup Battery 4000 mAh (1 port), Black
Incipio OffGRID Portable Backup Battery 4000 mAh (1 port), Black
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with looks, ease of operation, quality and convenience., July 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What I liked best about The Incipio OffGRID Portable Backup Battery is that there was not an inch thick booklet of instructions. Everything you need to know to charge and use this backup battery is written in large letters (including pictures) in four steps on the box. Easy-peasy, you're done! I'm now 70 and was not born with the "Techy Gene" and I had zero problems with understanding the instructions.

I'm one of those people who does not use my wireless phone as often as most, so a couple of times when I needed to make a call I found it dead in the bottom of my handbag. Shame on me but that does not mean the incident was any less inconvenient. With the Incipio Backup I can now have that phone up and in working order in fifteen minutes.

I also use a tablet and reader and always dread having to ask friends or relatives if they'd mind if I "plugged in" for a few hours. With the Incipio charger I can now be less intrusive.

I'm very happy with the looks, the ease of operation, the quality but mostly the convenience of the Incipio OffGRID.

Sherpani Nuage Ultralight Luggage, Black, One Size
Sherpani Nuage Ultralight Luggage, Black, One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Light-weight but Tough. Very Well Designed., July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am very impressed with this Sherpani Ultralight carry-on. I have the Sherpani tote bag and thought this would be the perfect companion piece. The entire carry on - including wheels and telescoping handle weighs in at less than 4 pounds. The handle itself has a crossbar to hang your smaller pieces securely.

I was amazed when I opened the 2 large zippered pockets. I don't want to be corny here but when I reached inside it seems bigger on the inside than on the outside. There are many little pouches and net pockets nestled throughout this well designed piece of luggage.

It is stable and secure. The wheels are quiet. There is a comfortable side handle for picking up this piece as you would a conventional piece of luggage. The best part is that it really is ultra-light while still being tough. This lets you pack more of the things you need instead of giving up valuable weight to the container itself.

I'm now a fan of Sherpani products.

Louie Season 1 [HD]
Louie Season 1 [HD]
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes cringe worthy, always funny, July 28, 2014
This is a funny series if you're "into" his style of schtick. He tackles all of life's problems and some current events treating the subjects with an equal degree of disrespect.

Louis is a divorced man with two young daughters who spend some time with him. Even when he's wearing his "daddy hat" there are a lot of asides and innuendo taking place out of the girl's purview. At night he does his stand up routine which can be raunchy and at times over-the-line of what's acceptable. He tackles all subjects; from sex to Osama bin Laden with the same cheekiness.

I'm 70 for gods sakes and find myself laughing more than I would care to admit BUT I'll never recommend this series to any of the other old ladies in my book club - it's my own dirty little secret.

I Am Pilgrim: A Thriller
I Am Pilgrim: A Thriller
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars The two antagonists come from opposite sides of the earth as well as opposite philosophies, July 26, 2014
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes is the quickest 700 page read of the year. If the author's name had been obscured from the book I'd have guessed it was the latest offering from Nelson DeMille or Robert Ludlum.

The book opens in a seedy hotel where a woman is being melted beyond recognition in a tub of acid. All DNA evidence in the room has been deleted. The killer, seemingly, has followed the protocol set forth in a book written by a covert operative at the highest level under an assumed name.

The two protagonists Pilgrim and Saracen come from different sides of the earth as well as philosophy. Pilgrim is the product of a loveless foster home who received all the benefits of wealth. Saracen was a Saudi youth who saw his father beheaded in the public square for speaking against the House of Saud royalty.

The dance between these two antagonists covers several continents as the author offers insight into the background and reasoning of each man. The settings are both attention-grabbing and stimulating. He takes us from high end Paris to war torn Afghanistan. The inner sanctum of Black Ops USA to Swiss Banks to Bio-Tech Labs in Syria are all part of the trail the reader follows to the edgy and exciting conclusion in Turkey.

This is a book that will hold your interest and keep you turning pages from start to finish. A great choice for summer reading.

Electric Shaved Ice Machine by Hawaiian Shaved Ice #S900a
Electric Shaved Ice Machine by Hawaiian Shaved Ice #S900a
Offered by Hawaiian Shaved Ice
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $24.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for making the Iconic Baltimore Snow Ball, July 25, 2014
Shaved ice is the only way to go for that perfect summer treat. Growing up in Baltimore 70 years ago I experience the iconic Baltimore SnowBall. The ice is shaved to a fluffy consistence and the syrups blend perfectly making a treat that can be eaten with a spoon. Upon moving around the country and having only crushed ice concoctions to choose from I was disappointed and chose not to partake if the only choice was second rate.

Upon traveling in Hawaii and being introduced to "Shave Ice" I knew I had to have a machine that could duplicate one of my childhood's fine memories. I found the Electric Shaved ice Machine by Hawaiian Shaved ice #S900a on line and found the price to be within my means. It shaves the ice exactly as I remember it.

The machine comes with two heavy duty plastic containers that allow you freeze an ice block that will fit exactly into the machine cavity. You can also use ice cubes but the machine does not efficiently shave these but it's good enough in a pinch.

Today I had a Baltimore ShowBall with Chocolate Syrup and Marshmallow Cream topping. Perfect.

Shout Advanced Trigger, 14-Ounce (Pack of 3)
Shout Advanced Trigger, 14-Ounce (Pack of 3)
Offered by Innovative Inventory
Price: $17.05
10 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outcleans the Old Formula, July 24, 2014
I tested this product on three favorite collectable tee shirts that have been rolled up in the bottom drawer for a couple of years. They were stained to a point that I couldn't wear them but for nostalgic reasons I couldn't toss them either. I sprayed generously with the Advance Shout. Results - One looks almost like it did when I bought it when Eddie Van Halen and I were young. The second was improved enough that I can now wear it out in public. The third (and the worst one) did improve but I believe it was beyond redemption for any product.

I've always needed to keep a bottle of spray stain cleaner nearby as food actually jumps off my fork and onto my chest. Over the years I've found some work better than others. I think this Advanced Action Gel from Shout will be my new go-to stain zapper.

The package does come with a warning that some stains, namely rust, bleach damage, paint, ink or dyes are probably impossible to remove. It also says not to use while you're wearing the garment - not that I was thinking of taking the product into the restaurant and spritzing myself at the table as I dropped marinara sauce on my white blouse.

As an Environmental Fact: this product contains no phosphorus and the bottle is made from 30% recycled material.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Fossil Women's AM4483 Cecile Multifunction Rose Tone Stainless Steel Watch
Fossil Women's AM4483 Cecile Multifunction Rose Tone Stainless Steel Watch
Offered by PAVOI
Price: $150.24
4 used & new from $132.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutting Edge, Oversized, Women's Watch That Is So Popular These Days., July 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The moment I opened the adorable tin box that this Fossil Women's AM4483 Watch came in I was impressed. It’s one of the cutting-edge, oversized women’s time pieces that are so popular today. The Rose Tone Stainless Steel makes it the fashion accessory that will be such a stand out that no other jewelry will be necessary.

The model I have is rated 10ATM which makes it water resistant to 100 meters and is safe for hand washing or showers. It comes with a limited 11 year warranty.

My only negative thought is that the brochure that came in the box did not have the instructions on how to set or manipulate the date/time settings. It gave a website that had that information which is ok and not a reason to down vote this product in any way. It’s just another place you have to go. Actually, the setting instructions are intuitive and you can probably do it without the website.

The watch has an analog display and a sweep second hand that I’ve been missing in some of the other watches I’ve had lately. The movement is quartz and the case itself is stainless steel. The watch has a good “heft” to it. The clasp is what is called deployment. For me it opened easily and seemed secure when closed.

This is a good-looking and classy piece to go on your wrist. Though it’s perfect for clubbing or a night at the opera this is a watch that will also look good when you’re out and about on mundane errands. I’m very happy with mine.

Itsy Bitsy Spider (Emma Frost Book 1)
Itsy Bitsy Spider (Emma Frost Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better editing would have made a better book, July 22, 2014
I must admit that I picked this one at random because the cover spider got me twitchy and in the mood for a mystery. It turned out to be a good choice. The story itself was well plotted and even the gruesome parts were made believable. It was one of those sick twisted mysteries that you see on Criminal Minds.

My problem is that I kept stopping my reading flow on grammatical and spelling errors that would have never made it past a good editor. Too bad, this would have been a five star book without them.

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel
The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry: A Novel
Price: $9.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The best choice of my summer reading, July 22, 2014
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin is not my usual reading genre but I'm considering it the best choice of the wrong book in my summer reading program. It was recommended by an elderly, grizzled neighbor who I'd never suspect of cuddling up with a "feel good" book. All I can say is that I closed the final page yesterday and have already gotten the word out to about twenty people that this one that can't be passed up.

By now I think that everyone who lands on this page knows the basic story line but I feel it's important to pass along the texture of the book. A.J. has been described as a curmudgeonly book seller, and that he is, but the insight instilled upon him by author Gabrielle Zevin is no less than brilliant. With that said I'll just share a few of my favorite quotes from the book so you'll have an inkling of why I enjoyed this book so much:

"Remember that a fine education can be found in places other than the usual."

"A.J. jogs down Captain Wiggins Street with his dingy plaid bathrobe flapping out behind him. He looks like a depressed, malnourished superhero."

"...the things we respond to at twenty are not necessarily the same things we will respond to at forty and vice versa. This is true in books and also in life."

In speaking about author Maeve Binchy: "Binchy's work is too formulaic. How many times can I read about a woman married too young to a bad, handsome man in a stifling Irish town?"

And my very favorite - in talking about those sappy blurbs on book jackets he refers to blurbs as "The blood diamonds of publishing".

This may not be the best book you'll ever read but I promise you it will be one you'll quote from, use as a reference for future reading choices or pick up again when you're a little older.

The Event Season 1 [HD]
The Event Season 1 [HD]
DVD
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Series that Never Was, July 22, 2014
The best series that never was. Plots and subplots. An idealistic young president (Blair Underwood) is pushed over the edge. A young man ( Jason Ritter) searches for his missing girl friend only to unearth plots for and against a group of aliens (led by Laura Innes). Year One (sigh....the only year) guest star Hal Holbrook suggests that there is more afoot than the talented writers are letting on at this point.

The acting is superb. The writing is top notch. But, alas, the network cancelled the best Science Fiction show to come down the road in a long time. It's worth watching though even though you'll be left wanting more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20