Profile for D. Matheny > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 72

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Matheny RSS Feed (Austin, TX)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Eaget New Intelligent V90 64GB USB 3.0 OTG Flash Drive For Android Smartphone and Tablets Devices
Offered by Trusda_USA
Price: $45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent option for USB storage!, May 28, 2015
The Eaget V90 64 GB flash USB 3.0 adapter is a great way to move files between your phone, tablet, and computer!

Both sides of the adapter have a USB plug:

1) The micro USB adapter plugs directly into your phone or tablet. When not in use it's protected by a removable micro USB plug cover.

2) The full-size USB adapter connects to your computer.

With this on your key chain you’ll always be ready to move files on-the-go. All you need for your phone or tablet is a file mover like the Android My Files app.

I would highly recommend this device if you're looking for a USB storage key because of the additional Micro-USB/OTG functionality!

Inateck Kindle Paperwhite Sturdy PU leather Protective Case Cover - The Thinnest and Lightest Case Cover for New 2014 & 2013 & 2012 Amazon Kindle Paperwhite with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function - Crimson (will only fit Amazon Kindle Paperwhite)
Offered by Inateck Online
Price: $36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to Amazon Kindle case!, May 28, 2015
Although it was a little thinner than I had expected it to be, I love this case!

It fits my Kindle Paperwhite perfectly, not allowing the Kindle to move around in or come out of the case. I like how easy it is to open the case and it doesn't get in the way at all as I'm trying to read.

My favorite feature is the magnetic latch that both keeps the cover closed and allows my Kindle to turn on or off as I open or close the case. Now I never have to worry about the power button. One important note on the latch is that it works best if you turn the advertisements off on your Kindle - which does cost a little bit more; but, allows the magnetic latch to work as designed instead of having to go through whatever ad happens to be displayed.

Overall I would say it is a very nice case and a great buy to protect the Kindle Paperwhite!

Lexar JumpDrive TwistTurn 64GB High Speed USB Flash Drive (Black) 3-Pack (192GB Total)
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price for a good product!, May 19, 2015
I got this for use in our shop where we use USB keys to install Windows & easily move files between PCs.

For that use, these keys are an absolute bargain - and they offer great performance for the price!

A couple of years ago, these would have also been a great choice for carrying around on a keychain; but, there are lots of other options now that are both smaller and that have OTG connections for connecting directly to a cell phone via Micro-USB.

If you're looking for general purpose USB keys for everything from installing Operating Systems to transferring files - then I highly recommend these! If, on the other hand, you're looking for a portable/take anywhere option, I'd probably look for something smaller that supports OTG.

LotFancy® Water Resistant Portable Rechargeable Bluetooth Speaker with Suction Cup for Showers Bathroom Computer Laptop iPad iphone ipod Samsung HTC
Offered by LotFancy
Price: $12.98
2 used & new from $12.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Shower Speaker, May 15, 2015
About 6 months ago, I discovered these water-proof speakers for listening to audio books in the shower.

This is the third brand that I've tried in that time; and, it looks like my search for a perfect shower speaker is finally over!

Here are the things I like about it:

1) My wife & I both have one; and, the colors make it easy to color code them.

2) The sound is great. I'll admit I'm not listening to music; but, they do sound great for audio books.

3) These are easy to operate. They pair and connect quickly - and the charge lasts for weeks.

4) These speakers use a standard Micro USB charging port instead of special cable.

5) This is actually the least expensive of the speakers I tried!

I will admit that the buttons feel a little cheap/squishy - but that is a very minor complaint that doesn't impact the function at all.

If you're looking for a speaker for use in the shower or pool, I would definitely recommend giving this a try!

Lithonia Lighting FMLL 9 30840  4-Feet 4000K LED Low Profile Lightpuff with White Acrylic Diffuser
Lithonia Lighting FMLL 9 30840 4-Feet 4000K LED Low Profile Lightpuff with White Acrylic Diffuser
Price: $122.86
2 used & new from $122.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright & Easy to Install, May 15, 2015
I picked up 3 of these: 2 for my garage, and one for the laundry room.

The garage units were replacing 2-bulb fluorescent fixtures, and the laundry room unit was replacing a large Circline fixture (with the 16" + 12" bulbs).

As far as brightness goes, these are FAR better than the previous fixtures! The light quality is also far better - which is the biggest reason I've been switching bulbs from fluorescent to LED in the first place.

The install was also very simple. Basically, I just wired them up - which is simple enough since these just have a black & white wire + a grounding screw.

To hold it in place, you just put a screw in both ends; so, it's hard to imagine that it would be much simpler.

The lights also look better than the traditional 4' fluorescent fixtures - and about the same as a standard Circline fixture (in my opinion).

Anyway, if you're looking for a great light that's bright with a nice white color for utility areas, then this is an excellent option. Since it's LED, it should last for decades without needing a replacement.

Lithonia FMLRL 14 20840 M4 Round 14-Inch LED Flush Mount Light, White
Lithonia FMLRL 14 20840 M4 Round 14-Inch LED Flush Mount Light, White
Price: $59.97
10 used & new from $47.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement for Circline fixture!, May 14, 2015
We installed 2 fluorescent Circline fixtures in our closet a few years ago; but, weren't happy with them for several reasons:

1) The bulbs didn't seem to last long at all.

2) Even when they did last, they would get noticeably dimmer over time.

3) Fluorescent bulbs have a weird color to them as a general rule.

Over the last year, we replaced all the other bulbs in our home with 3000K LED bulbs - and the only fluorescent lights we had left were the Circline fixtures. It wasn't a hard decision at all to replace them once I saw these!

Anyway, I've only had them for a couple of weeks; but, I don't have anything bad to say about these at this point:

1) The install was extremely easy. It only took a few minutes to replace both fixtures.

2) The lights are significantly brighter than the Circline lights we replaced.

3) The 4000K color is a bit whiter than the other lights in the house; but, it works great in the closet and workspace areas.

4) They turn on quickly and don't flicker at all.

5) If the other LEDs in our home are an indication of how long these will last, I suspect they'll go for years without burning out.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for an excellent replacement for a Circline fixture in a utility area or closet - I would highly recommend giving this a try.

AeraMax Baby DB5 HEPA Air Purifier for the Baby Room with Odor Reducing 4-Stage Purification
Price: $149.99

4.0 out of 5 stars KIlls odor - and is quiet on high speed, May 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Over the last few months, I've discovered this style of free-standing air purifier - and have tried a couple of different types in both our business and home.

The 2 main systems I've tried have been this purifier and the GermGuardian AC4825.

Since we run these every day, it's very convenient to run them on a timer - so we're using Lutron Lamp Dimmers together with their Smart Bridge to run them on a schedule.

With that in mind, I've found that the GermGuardian works better if you're running this on a schedule - and the AeraMax works better if you're going to manually turn it on and off.

Overall, here is how they compare:

1) This AeraMax filter is definitely quieter at max speed; but, it is completely electronic and comes on at the slowest speed by default. As a result, it's impossible to leave it set on the max setting to control it with a dimmer (like the Lutron switch). Interestingly enough, I think the AeraMax is actually quieter on the max setting than it is on the default slow setting...

2) When it comes to filtering, both filters work similarly. This filter is extremely effective at killing odors (as is the GermGuardian).

3) Both filters have a setting that notify you when the filter needs to be replaced.

4) Personally, I think this AeraMax filter looks a bit better - but it's also a bigger unit.

The biggest problem with this filter is that it doesn't remember its settings from the previous time you turned it on. As a result, it's impossible to run it on a timer since it always comes on at the lowest setting - and the lowest setting is also the loudest...

Between the 2 units, if you're always going to run it manually, then I would definitely recommend this unit! If, on the other hand, you're thinking about running it every day on a timer - I would seriously consider giving the GermGuardian a try.

Replacement Black Polyurethane Link Bracelet Band 22mm for Luminox 3000 and 3900 Series Watches
Offered by Watch Experts
Price: $32.95
3 used & new from $30.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great on LG Urbane!, May 9, 2015
I recently picked up an LG Urbane Smart Watch; and, although I love the watch, the band left a lot to be desired.

Fortunately, I found this replacement band on Amazon - and I've been extremely pleased with it!

The band looks great with the Urbane, and is among the most comfortable watch bands I've ever used.

The install was also fairly simple; although, I initially installed it backwards and had to redo it (including rebalancing the links between the 2 sides). As a quick tip, the little flip latch on the band should face toward you when you're wearing the watch.

If you're looking for a replacement band for the Urbane (or any other 22mm watch band), then I would definitely recommend this product!
Comment Comment | Permalink

LG G Watch Urbane Wearable Smart Watch
LG G Watch Urbane Wearable Smart Watch
Price: $349.98
10 used & new from $262.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Smart Watch Yet!, May 9, 2015
Last fall I got my first smart watch (the Samsung Gear Live), and I haven't regretted the purchase at all - even though I knew that smart watch technology was going to be moving very quickly.

Since then, I also decided to give the Fitbit Surge at try. Unfortunately, that experiment didn't last long at all and I sent it back so I could stick with my Gear Live.

Recently, I started seeing reviews on the LG Urbane and decided to give it a try to see if it's really much better than the initial Gear Live. I'll just be completely clear and say that YES, this watch is probably the best watch I've ever owned! (And, yes, I'm including non-smart-watches in that statement.)

I wish I could say the Urbane is perfect (it isn't); but, it definitely has more good than bad. In this review, I'm going to go through some of the features and details that set it apart instead of focusing on every detail.

[*** Function & Performance ***]

I know there are a variety of factors involved (including a newer version of Android Wear on the Urbane); but, this watch has a more 'polished' user experience.

It's easy to do things that should have been easy all along; like:

- I can select a favorite contact and dial the phone without talking. It's also easy to redial people from the recent call history.

- I can set reminders that go off at a specific location, like: "remind me to buy air filters at Home Depot". It works surprisingly well; and, in that example, I would get a quick reminder the next time I was at Home Depot so I wouldn't walk out without buying something I'd been needing.

- Due to the WIFI connectivity, it's possible to perform tasks even if I accidentally leave my phone on my desk. Or to see incoming calls, etc... (I will say this feature isn't perfect - but it's a step in the right direction, and works almost all the time.)

- Initially, it seemed like Android Wear was going to force everybody to use nothing but voice commands (which is impractical because I don't want to talk to my wrist in the office). Software updates had improved that on the Gear Live; but, the Android update on the Urbane is finally to a point where it's possible to do far more with the menus.

- I like having the ability to measure my pulse on demand (I'm kind of a Fitbit geek); but, the only software it seems to integrate with is Google Fit - which doesn't seem to work with anything else. Hopefully other companies (like Fitbit or MyFitnessPal) will start integrating with Google Fit in the near future to make the feature more useful.

On top of the additional features, the watch seems to perform far more smoothly as well - although the Gear Live was no slouch. Part of that impression is due to upgraded hardware, and part is due to a more intuitive & polished interface.

Finally, the notification vibrations on the Urbane are more noticeable than the Gear Live - which was always one of my biggest complaints with that watch. I'm far less likely to miss incoming call/text notifications with the Urbane than with the Gear Live.

The function and performance of the Urbane is smooth and intuitive enough that it's easy to start wondering how much more can be improved (although I'm sure I'll be surprised over the next year).

[*** Battery Life ***]

First of all, I use my watch with the face on 100% of the time - trust me, it will drive you crazy if you set it to require a 'flip' to see the time. I also use it fairly consistently throughout the day to view & respond to both emails and texts, start/stop audio books, and manage reminders and other notifications. I'm to a point where I'm pretty dependent on my smart watch - and use it instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket for a lot of basic tasks.

With that in mind, the battery life on the Gear Live wasn't a problem since I could easily get through a day and would just charge it overnight.

The Urbane, on the other hand, is quite a bit better - and I suspect I may be able to get two full days out of it with just a tiny bit of battery life to spare. That makes it quite a bit easier to travel with!

The charging mechanism itself is also pretty solid. It's basically a magnetic dock that attaches to the bottom of the watch and has a USB charging port. Personally, I attached a Qi Wireless Charging Receiver to the dock so I can just set the watch by my Qi charger at night instead of requiring another cable.

[*** Shape & Size ***]

I've been wearing the Gear Live for long enough now that I didn't even realize it looks like a geeky calculator watch. :)

The Urbane, on the other hand, looks more like a typical watch - and I've gotten far fewer comments asking "Is that an Apple Watch?". Personally, I like the round styling so much better that it's hardly even a comparison.

As far as size goes, I wore a G-Shock watch for more than a decade - and this watch is about the same diameter as a G-Shock; although, it's about 2/3 of the thickness. As a result, to me it still feels compact enough for every-day wear - but I can see how it might be too big if you have a small wrist.

I should also say that the large variety of round watch faces look amazing on this watch! (Even in standby mode.)

[*** Watch Band ***]

The watch band on the Urbane looks good in pictures; but, I found I didn't like it at all in real life.

It's just too stiff, and the leather had a 'cracked' look once it was on my wrist. It was also pretty uncomfortable.

Fortunately, it's possible to replace the band with any standard 22mm watch band; so, I picked up a Black Polyurethane Link Bracelet Band and am using it instead.

Even though this isn't a review of the band, the new band looks great and is far more comfortable - although it did take a few minutes to get it installed on the watch and fit correctly.

[*** Brightness ***]

If I could change just one thing on this watch, it would be the addition of an ambient light sensor.

Since there isn't any automatic brightness setting - it's either too bright in the dark, or not bright enough in the daylight.

I think most people will be able to find a middle ground that works 'OK' in any light; but, an ambient light sensor would make this just about the perfect watch; and, it's the one feature I would consider upgrading for.

[*** Applications ***]

Even though the Android Wear platform has come a long way since last fall, I haven't seen much movement as far as application support goes.

There are lots of new watch faces which is nice; but, the only real usable apps that I've found are:

1) For texting, be sure to switch your Android phone to using 'Hangouts' instead of the built-in texting app. It really is a better app anyway, and supports the phone far better.

2) For email, I'm using CloudMagic. This is one of the best email clients I've found - and it works great with Android Wear! It's easy to read full messages, mark them read, delete them, and even reply if you want to dictate a response.

3) For note taking, I'm a big Microsoft OneNote fan. Fortunately, they do have a version of OneNote for Android Wear that works pretty well!

4) There are built-in calculator and flashlight apps on the Urbane that both work pretty well.

Some apps that I'd love to see on this watch would be:

1) Digifit: I think it would be awesome if I could start/stop workouts from the watch.

2) Audible: It's already possible to start/stop audio books from the watch once the Audible app is running; but, I'd like to be able to launch it directly from the watch (so I don't have to dig my phone out of my pocket when I'm driving).

Fortunately, even though I'm definitely an Android user - I think the Apple Watch will bring enough attention to this segment that we may start to see some real innovation with apps for the Android Wear platform.

[*** Conclusion ***]

At the end of the day, I suspect this is probably the single best wearable device on the market right now.

I think it looks better than anything out there (including the Apple Watch), it has excellent performance, and brings enough features to the table that I'd definitely miss it if it were gone.

Having said that, this platform is moving forward very quickly; so, in 6 months there will be something better out there. Personally, I can't see any killer features that would compel me to upgrade - other than the addition of an ambient light sensor...

Overall, if you're in the market for a smart watch, I think this should be at the absolute top spot on your list!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Ho'okipa Sunglasses
Ho'okipa Sunglasses
Offered by EyeSave Sunglasses & Readers
Price: $189.00
6 used & new from $157.49

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my third pair - and I still love them!, May 7, 2015
I'm on my third pair of these sunglasses over the course of the last several years, and absolutely love them!

Here are the things I like:

1) They are light-weight and comfortable. I can wear these all day long with no problem at all.

2) The polarized lenses are very good quality.

3) The flexible frames will hold up to quite a bit of abuse.

4) These look great!

My single complaint with these sunglasses is that they're hard to clean. For some reason, when they get dirty it's hard to get the film off of them - and my wife's had the same experience with her Maui Jim sunglasses.

I purchased my first pair of this model almost 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I hit my head on a door frame when they were pushed up on my head - and the lenses got scratched pretty bad (I'm 6'7", so that's not too uncommon for me....).

At that point, I moved that pair of sunglasses into my wife's car and got a second pair for my truck.

Recently, I've found myself driving her car more and more - so I finally replaced that original pair. (I know I could have just replaced the lenses; but, it always seemed like more of a pain than it was worth since they were working.)

I am pretty easy on sunglasses, so they tend to last a while. I'm also generally not the kind of person who picks the same style over and over - so that says a lot about how great these are.

Personally, if you like the look, I would definitely say you should give these a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20