Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for D. Matheny > Reviews

Browse

D. Matheny's Profile

Customer Reviews: 655
Top Reviewer Ranking: 175

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Matheny RSS Feed (Austin, TX)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
RAGU® 2.7" 170° 1080P HD Car Dashboard Camera Video Recorder with 16GB TF Card Support G-Senser Automatic Loop-Cycle Recording Lane Departure

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for the price!, April 21, 2016
Length:: 5:00 Mins

I've been using this camera for almost 2 months now and it's still working perfectly. For the cost, it's hard to imagine that there's a better alternative out there!

The good:
- Very complete setup, has everything you need in the box: Power cable, 16 GB Micro SD, USB cable and suction cup window mount.
- Usage and setup is fairly straight forward.
- Has some interesting features like Lane Departure Warning and collision detection.
- It can also be used as webcam when connected to your PC.
- The camera does a decent job switching between hi and low light situations and does fairly well with night driving. (Check out the video for some good light transitions.)

The not so good:
I would have liked to see higher frame rates and image stabilization. For testing I had this camera mounted in a Jeep Wrangler, granted not the smoothest riding vehicle, and can see in the attached why image stabilization would have been nice.

Overall I would give it a 4. It is simple to use and at this price point I can live with the video quality.

VisionTek 256GB USB 3.0 Pocket Solid State Drive - 900843
VisionTek 256GB USB 3.0 Pocket Solid State Drive - 900843
Price: $139.99
17 used & new from $139.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked OK - but didn't last long, April 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although this SSD worked OK for about 3 weeks - the initial quality seemed suspect & it failed after only 3 weeks.

Because of that, I basically have 2 reviews here - the first part covers the actual performance, and the second part covers the short like span of the product. If it had held up longer I would have rated it 4 stars.

I plugged the USB SSD drive into a USB 3.0 port on my MacBook Pro (late 2013) and formatted the drive with the exFAT file system. I chose this files system as I need to be able to use the drive with both my MacBook and a Dell laptop running Windows 10. Testing the VisionTek drive on both platforms showed read/write speeds that were just below the product's specs. Write speeds were in the 145MB/s rate and read speeds were about 425 MB/s on my MacBook Pro. These read/write speeds were a little higher on my Dell laptop which features a newer chipset.

I next copied a Windows 10 virtual machine image to the VisionTek USB SSD and ran that under VMware Fusion Professional 8 on my MacBook Pro. The Windows 10 VM ran, but not in a manner that would support the kind of Windows development I do. If you are doing email and browsing the web it would work well enough, any more complex computing and the performance is not acceptable. This is a lot to ask of a USB SSD drive though so I'm not going to ding the VisionTek for that. I didn't test a Linux Desktop on the VisionTek, though I do think performance would be better.

Playing back FLAC files using VOX on my MacBook worked flawlessly. Accessing pictures on the drive was very fast and easy. Documents loaded very fast as well. As a backup device the VisionTek worked very well, much better than the USB external drive I have been using.

Overall this is a nice external storage solution whose only draw back, if you can call it a draw back, is that it gets very warm during use. I can't make any estimate on what that means regarding expected lifetime of the device but it's not so hot that you need oven mitts to remove it. It's close though.

I like this device very much as an alternative to larger external storage solutions. It's much faster and the form factor makes it easier to carry in my backpack. This drive has become a staple in my tool bag.

[*** Update ***]

Before posting the original review (see below) my VisionTek 256GB USB SSD failed. Utterly and completely. The drive was a little less than a month old. Neither my MacBook Pro or my Dell Precision laptop running Windows 10 could mount it. The drive simply flashed its yellow light repeatedly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2016 6:45 AM PDT

Portable Qi Wireless Charger Power Bank 10000mAh - MobilePal Gen-2 - Includes 2-1 Lightning/Micro USB Cable [2A Input / Dual 2.1A Output USB Ports / 1A Qi Output]
Offered by MobilePal Direct
Price: $35.99
3 used & new from $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best battery pack I've owned!, January 15, 2016
I've owned quite a few battery packs, and they all seem to fall short in some way - but this is the first one I've owned that seems to do everything right!

1) I love the Qi charging. I have a Moto 360 smart watch that charges perfectly using this pad, so I don't have to bring a separate charger with me when I travel.

2) It has a good capacity. It will completely charge my S6 phone and Moto 360 smart watch on a single charge when using Qi. It can actually charge more if the Qi charging is disabled by holding the power button for a few seconds.

3) It will charge when being charged - so if my hotel has a convenient power outlet by the bed I can keep everything charged without draining the battery pack.

4) It's slim enough to travel with. It's the perfect size for taking with me on a plane!

At the end of the day, I think I've finally found the perfect battery pack! If you're looking for an excellent charger that does everything pretty well, I'd highly recommend this.

HP Laserjet Pro M477fdw Wireless All-in-One Color Printer, (CF379A)
HP Laserjet Pro M477fdw Wireless All-in-One Color Printer, (CF379A)
Price: Click here to see our price
24 used & new from $310.89

5.0 out of 5 stars This is making me reconsider using color laser printers in the office!, January 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A couple of years ago, we tried using color laser printers in our office and I was absolutely unimpressed with the slow speeds and constant stalls - combined with the high price of color toner.

Although this printer doesn't have the capacity to handle our office printing, it does make me wonder if color laser printing has come along enough to give it another try at work...

Anyway, here are the things we like about it:

1) The printing output is excellent - in both black and color

2) The print speed is good for a home printer

3) The toner cartridge capacity is excellent for a home printer - and the pricing is great too!

4) Setup on a wireless network was easy, and the printer is reliable - even though it seems like some other reviewers haven't had as good of luck

My only real complaint is the small capacity paper tray.

If you're looking for a great SOHO color laser printer, then I would definitely recommend giving this a try!

Lenox Sophisticate 5-Piece Place Setting, Silver
Lenox Sophisticate 5-Piece Place Setting, Silver
Price: $53.11
15 used & new from $53.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy Dinnerware, January 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife has wanted some nicer dinnerware, and this definitely fits the bill!

It looks fantastic, and has a classy/quality feel as well.

We're extremely pleased with this dinnerware and would definitely recommend it. I will say that picking up 6 place settings starts to add up. :)

Linksys Business Wireless-N300 Access Point with PoE (LAPN300)
Linksys Business Wireless-N300 Access Point with PoE (LAPN300)
Price: Click here to see our price
107 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to improve your WiFi signal!, January 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In our business we've been using a WiFi router mounted to the wall by our networking equipment for years. The setup worked OK, but our networking equipment happened to be located in a vault with 9 gauge mesh walls - which limited the wireless signal in the rest of our office.

This access point ended up solving our problem by making it easy to locate the router outside our vault, without it looking like a cruddy install.

Thanks to PoE, which we were already using, we only had to run a single cable to get this mounted to the ceiling in a central area of our office. As a result, the install itself was relatively simple - all we had to do was run about 40 feet of Cat 5e cable through the ceiling to our switches.

The setup was pretty straight-forward, and the results were excellent!

We now have a solid signal throughout the office without any dead spaces. I suspect this access point isn't any better than what we had before - it's just positioned much better thanks to the ceiling mounting + PoE.

If you use PoE and want a ceiling mounted access point, I would highly recommend this product!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent PoE Switch for Small Business!, January 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I converted to PoE in our business a couple of years ago, and we use it extensively now. It works great for running our phones as well as our security cameras.

Up until now, we've been using a couple of NETGEAR ProSAFE GS752TP 48-Port Gigabit PoE switches to run the office, so I was hesitant to mix in another brand. Fortunately, my worries were unfounded and this Linksys switch performs phenomenally!

Anyway, the PoE features work great, the switch has been 100% reliable for a couple of months of heavy use, and the performance is great as well.

If you're looking for a high quality PoE switch for your office, I would definitely recommend this one!

Q-See QCN8025Z High Definition IP Pan Tilt Zoom Camera (White)
Q-See QCN8025Z High Definition IP Pan Tilt Zoom Camera (White)
Price: $799.99
5 used & new from $799.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, and holds up to harsh weather!, December 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our previous outdoor camera's water seal gave out and it died during a thunder storm. It had been installed for less than a year.

I picked up this Q-See outdoor camera with Pan & Tilt features - partially because it had higher resolution (1080p), and partially because it looks so rugged.

I'll have to admit that I was a bit surprised at the size when I first pulled it out the the box. It was probably 4 times bigger than I was expecting.

Having said that, it's obvious this camera is built to hold up outdoors:

- It's hard to see in the pictures here on Amazon, but the extension arm is basically shaped like an upside down P-Trap (like the pipes under a typical bathroom sink). As a result, even the harshest of weather won't allow water to leak through the pipe and into the camera itself.

- All the pieces fit together with rubber o-rings to keep the weather out.

- The camera unit just has a solid/quality feel to it - unlike less expensive products that look fine, but feel cheap - and then don't hold up in the weather.

The install was pretty straight-forward - and all the required parts were in the box, including the concrete wall anchors that I used. I did use some caulk to fill in around the base (just to be safe), but it probably wasn't required.

I will say that the install manual was a joke. It might as well have been written in Chinese for as much useful data as I got out of it...

Having said that, just ignore everything else and plug a single POE Ethernet cable in - and it will work great. Don't worry about extra power or the exposed control wires - just stick with POE.

If it helps, we're using this with a Q-See QC8116 Digital NVR and it works perfectly.

The main problem I had with the install was that I installed the arm to the wall before pushing the wires through it. That turned out to be a mistake (although it worked) - and it would have been much easier if I had started pulling the wires before hanging the arm on the wall.

Having said that, I did it by myself and it probably would have been hard to keep that thing balanced while anchoring it to the wall. :)

Anyway, if you're looking for an excellent quality/outdoor camera that's high definition and supports pan & tilt (which works great through the QC8116 NVR), then I would highly recommend giving this camera a try!

Q-See QC8116-10C9-3 16 Channel Digital NVR with 3 TB Hard Drive and 10 HD 1080p IP Cameras (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NVR for businesses!, December 9, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using this QC8116 NVR for over a year now; and, although it does have its issues, I've been very impressed overall!

In this review, I'm going to cover the cameras first - before going into details on the NVR itself.

[3MP Cameras]

The cameras are advertised as 1080p, but are actually 3MP - which works out to 2048x1536.

The picture quality is absolutely amazing compared to the 720p, and it's easy to pick out detail with these. We had an incident about 8 months ago that we caught on camera, but the 720p cameras didn't have enough detail to figure out exactly what happened. That won't be a problem with these!

Having said that, the low-light performance is not as good as the 720p cameras we were using. The picture is still OK, but they take longer to switch modes and the clarity is significantly reduced (compared to the low-light performance of the previous cameras).

As far as installation goes, I absolutely love POE security cameras. All you need to do is run a single Ethernet cable and you're good to go! They're easy to install and manage with no extra power requirement.

These cameras also have a great viewing angle in the 3MP mode.

[*** NVR Review ***]

We've been using this NVR for over a year now, and the experience has been mostly positive - so I'm going to focus on the issues we've had first.

[Camera Installation]

In some ways the camera installation with this NVR was a breeze, BUT keep in mind that it will pick up the cameras in the order you plug them in - and NOT based on the port you're using.

In other words, if you want a camera to be installed on Channel 1 - be sure to plug it in first.

This is actually a huge pain if you do it wrong since it's nearly impossible to convince the NVR to move a camera to another channel. Also, even though it's possible to configure where the different cameras are displayed on the layout, they will revert to their default position when the NVR is rebooted - which makes the channel assignment even more important.

There are also several weird issues that we encountered with renaming and configuring cameras - but that setup only needs to be done once.

[Additional Hard Drives]

Installing additional hard drives was actually very simple. All the required cables are already inside the NVR box, so it only took a few minutes to install them.

Once you boot up, just be sure to configure how you want the hard drives to be used - because it won't pick them up and use them by default if you don't.

Unfortunately, once the hard drives get full, you'll always get a warning saying there is no space left - even if you have it configured to overwrite older video. That's weird, but not a huge deal.

[Remote Access]

This is one place where the Q-See NVR absolutely shines!

It's easy to access the NVR from either the local network, or remotely using a very good mobile app. (I'm using it with Android.)

The NVR can be configured to record 2 data streams on each camera - one high def and one for streaming, which makes the remote performance very good.

[Camera Directional Control]

We are using one camera that supports directional control, as well as zooming. The controls through the NVR work OK - but there is definitely some lag with the controls.

The lag isn't a huge deal once you get used to it.

[Overall Performance]

At the end of the day, we're extremely pleased with this NVR.

It has been reliable, and just seems to work without any issues once it's setup.

We have ours running through a 4-way HDMI splitter so we can monitor the picture in different areas of our warehouse/store. In that configuration, anything you do on the main console will show up on all the screens - but remote access allows viewing of older video or messing with system settings without impacting the main video screen.

There are several layouts to choose from, and we stick with the '8 picture' layout with one big picture to cover the front of the store and 7 smaller pictures to focus on other important areas. In that configuration, there are actually several cameras that don't show by default, but they can be accessed easily using remote viewing.

If you want a reliable NVR for your business, then I would highly recommend this system!

Leviton DZMX1-1LZ Decora Z-Wave Controls Universal Dimmer, White/Ivory/Light Almond
Price: $49.97
15 used & new from $42.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, but I prefer the Lutron Smart Bridge controller, December 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro to control our home lights for a while - and I absolutely love it!

Although I knew this Z-Wave controller wouldn't be compatible with the Smart Bridge, I decided to give it a try anyway. it does work well; but, I realized the true benefit of these switches is having them linked into a central controller (like the Smart Bridge).

Anyway, if you are already bought into a Z-Wave system, then I would definitely recommend this - if not, I'd look hard at what central controller you want to use before investing in switches.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20