Profile for D. Matheny > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 69

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Matheny RSS Feed (Austin, TX)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dazzne 12mp 1080p Hd 2 Inches LCD Display 130°a+ Hd Wide-angle Mini Size Portable Only 94g Micro USB 2.0/micro Hdmi Support 64g Tf Card(include 32g Sandisk Card) with 2*950mah Rechargeable Battery and Charger Underwater 20m Include Various Accessories(chest Belt+head Belt+suction Cup+bicycle Mount) Full Hd Head Sports Outdoor Car Recorder DVR Cam Action Camera Sports Camera Helmet Cam
Offered by mihappy
Price: $128.99
2 used & new from $105.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but it's not a GoPro, April 24, 2015
When I first got this camera with the huge number of included accessories, I was absolutely blown away by the value!

It seems identical to a GoPro - with a very solid feel and responsive UI.

Unfortunately, it became obvious why it cost less once we started using it. Although the function was perfect, there were 2 large blotches on the CCD that caused parts of the screen to be dark.

We tried everything to clean it off; but, the issue is inside the housing - so there isn't anything we could do.

As a result, I'd say this is an excellent value if you want something for kids to mess around with; but, forget it if you're wanting to do anything more professional that requires higher quality output.

King Will 8mm Black Tungsten Carbide Ring Men's Wedding Band Polished Finish Beveled Edge in Comfort Fit
Offered by Brandline
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple/Classy Looking Ring, April 22, 2015
I've been wearing the same gold wedding ring for over 20 years; and, I've never gotten used to it...

I finally broke down and tried something else; and, I have to say that these tungsten rings are amazing!

Here are the things I like about it:

1) It looks great! The black tungsten look is extremely classy and simple for wearing every day.

2) It's light weight. The weight of my previous ring was the biggest problem I had with it. I spend a lot of time typing (as a programmer), and a light-weight ring makes a big difference.

3) The comfort fit profile is excellent! My original ring is also a comfort fit, and I don't think I could stand anything else.

4) The price is unbelievable compared to other rings.

The only thing to keep in mind is that tungsten carbide rings can't be resized. Since my ring finger changes a full size between summer and winter, it makes sense to keep multiple rings in different sizes - and the low price of this ring makes that possible! :)

Anyway, if you're looking for a quality-looking ring that is inexpensive, I would definitely give this a try!

Milwaukee 48-11-1840 M18 REDLITHIUM XC 4.0 Extended Capacity Battery Pack
Milwaukee 48-11-1840 M18 REDLITHIUM XC 4.0 Extended Capacity Battery Pack
Offered by REMN-TRADING
Price: $85.99
24 used & new from $55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful not to burn out your tools, April 20, 2015
I've tried many brands of battery-operated tools, and have found the Milwaukee M18 tools to be the absolute best and most reliable.

The ones I have are several years old - and I've used them with non-XC, XC, and XC 2.0/4.0 batteries.

Each battery technology has lasted significantly longer, and the XC 4.0 batteries are truly impressive! They last so much longer that I completely burned out a couple of my tools because they apparently weren't built to run so long without a cool-down period...

For example, I was smiling because the battery was going so long as I cut through an Oak Tree root in my yard, until the multi-saw just burned out and stopped working forever. On another occasion, I lost a hammer drill that had lasted for years because I pushed it too hard with an XC 4.0 battery.

It may sound odd that I'd recommend these batteries so strongly; but, they are truly impressive when it comes to both long runtime and fast charging. On the other hand, just be careful to let your tools cool down occasionally because you won't be changing batteries nearly as often with these.

Bluetooth Shower Speaker - Waterproof & Dustproof - CE/ROHS/FCC Certified - Money-Back Guarantee - 2015 Model - Portable - Radio - Pairs with all Smartphones - iphone, Tablet - ipad, ipod, Android - Wireless Speakerphone - Music & Fun Indoor & Outdoor
Offered by iFox Creations
Price: $39.99
11 used & new from $21.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little speaker!, April 20, 2015
I've been using this to listen to audio books in the shower and it works perfectly! The sound is excellent and it appears to be 100% water proof.

Previous reviewers mentioned that it only plays the left channel; but, the newer model plays both channels - so no audio information is lost.

Overall, if you're looking for high quality audio in a water-proof package, then I'd highly recommend giving this speaker a try!

Conair YOU Pro Cordless ThermaCell 3/4 Inch Straightener
Conair YOU Pro Cordless ThermaCell 3/4 Inch Straightener
Offered by AZDeals
Price: $34.88
2 used & new from $23.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Good straightener for travelling, April 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This straighter is inexpensive - and works about as well as you would expect for the price.

Personally, I wouldn't count on it as a primary straightener; but, for travelling, it actually works pretty well.

If you're in the market for a backup straightener, then this isn't a bad option.

IQ Shield LiQuidSkin - Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Screen Protector + Full Body (Complete Front & Back Coverage) with Lifetime Replacement Warranty - High Definition (HD) Ultra Clear Smart Film - Premium Protective Screen Guard - Extremely Smooth / Self-Healing / Bubble-Free Shield - Frustration-Free Retail Packaging
Offered by IQ Shield
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Best screen protector for S6 Edge!, April 18, 2015
The Galaxy S6 Edge is an awesome phone; but, finding a screen protector turned out to be harder than I had expected.

Fortunately, I finally settled on this IQ Shield protector - and it works perfectly!

I had never used a protector that was applied using a liquid before; but, the process was simple and only took a few minutes. I think I would do better if I did it a second time; but, here are some of the things I learned:

1) The instructions are pretty good - but be sure to apply the liquid liberally to the screen protector. After getting it installed, I suspect it would be hard to put on too much.

2) Unlike other screen protectors I've used, it's easy to get this one positioned correctly since you can slide it around until you're happy.

3) Getting it to stick on the curved edges took a little bit of work. I started at the bottom of the phone and held for 15 seconds (on each side) with my thumbs, then moved up to the next section for another 15 seconds - until I reached the top of the phone. After completing the install, I came back about an hour later and pressed down on the sides again because the very edges were coming up; but, now it's staying perfectly flat.

4) I didn't squeegee out the bubbles as well as I should have during the initial install. It turned out to not be a huge deal since they went down on their own; but, if I had to do it again, I would squeegee the entire surface and not just where I saw bubbles. Also, I did squeegee out a big bubble several hours after the install - and it left a trail through the screen protector. Once again, that trail seems to have faded out - so I guess this really is self-healing. :)

5) Be sure to give yourself 10-20 minutes to complete the install, and then let the phone sit for at least 12 hours before sticking it in your pocket or using it very heavily. The liquid that's used to install it is still wet for a while, and needs a chance to dry.

The great thing about this screen protector is that it's pretty much invisible - while providing solid protection! It also doesn't interfere with the feel of the screen.

This is the third screen protector I tried on my S6 Edge; and, it's by far the best. If you're looking for a screen protector, I would highly recommend it!

LUXA2 Groovy W NFC Bluetooth Speaker with Wireless Charging Station
LUXA2 Groovy W NFC Bluetooth Speaker with Wireless Charging Station
Offered by LUXA2 official store
Price: $89.99
2 used & new from $89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient with Excellent Sound and some quirks, April 18, 2015
Before getting into this review, I have to say that I've used several speakers like this - and this one sounds fantastic!

On top of the excellent sound:

1) The Qi charging dock is extremely convenient!

It truly is an exceptional idea to merge a Qi charger with a speaker like this. The speaker will run for hours on its own battery power, and I can simply sit it on the dock to get it charged. It can also play while sitting on the dock.

I've also used it with a Galaxy S6 Edge, as well as a Galaxy S5 with a Qi Receiver Card. One of my favorite uses for the Qi charger is to sit my phone on it while working out and listening to music or audio books. That way my phone is fully charged when my workout is done.

2) The battery life is excellent! This speaker will go a full day on a single charge - and then I just sit it back on the dock to charge it up again.

3) The speaker looks great.

4) The pause button on top of the speaker works well, and it's perfect for quickly pausing music without having to use the phone.

5) The NFC pairing worked great with my Android phones.

This is the only speaker I've found with this combination of features, and it works great!

Unfortunately, there are some quirky problems:

1) The power button for the speaker is on the back, and you have to hold it for a bit for it to turn on or off. Oddly enough, there is another power button on the dock, and the 2 power buttons have some weird interactions.

For example: if you turn the dock off while the speaker is docked, the lights on the speaker stay on indefinitely. If, on the other hand, I turn the dock off and then place the speaker on it, the lights never turn on.

Honestly, it's just weird to have to deal with 2 power buttons - and I think it would make more sense to have no power button on the dock (like most Qi chargers).

2) The lights on the dock won't turn off if the device is turned off on the dock. As a result, it's irritating to leave it docked in my room at night without removing it from the dock first. That's too bad since it would be convenient to let it charge overnight...

At the end of the day, I would definitely recommend this speaker! I do think there is room for improvement; but, right now I think this is the best device of this type on the market.

Galaxy S6 Edge Screen Protector, Spigen® [High-Definition] [NO EDGE COVERGE] [Dry Installation] Galaxy S6 Edge Screen Protector Clear **NEW** [Crystal] [CR] JAPANESE BASE PET FILM High Definition (HD) Premium Ultra Clear Front Screen Protector for Galaxy S6 Edge (2015) - CR (SGP11407)
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid 'NO EDGE COVERAGE' Version, April 11, 2015
When I purchased this screen protector, I couldn't tell the difference between the versions - and ended up getting the [NO EDGE COVERAGE] model because it wasn't specified at the time.

Anyway, that turned out to be a big mistake - and I now have a full coverage screen protector for the S6 Edge on order to replace it.

The big problem is that this version only covers the flat part of the screen - which causes several issues:

1) It looks horrible since there's a plastic line that's still in the usable space on both sides of the Edge phone.

2) It interferes with lots of screen gestures. Trying to access letters on the edge of the keyboard while swiping is also impacted.

3) It doesn't offer any protection to the edge of the screen - which is arguably the most vulnerable part.

4) Normally, it's hard to tell that a screen protector is in place; but, since it overlaps the usable portion of the screen, it's easy to tell that the blacks aren't quite as black with the plastic protector.

The install itself was pretty simple - and it's definitely a quality product; but, I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want a version that doesn't cover the whole screen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2015 3:59 PM PDT

Galaxy S6 Edge Case, Spigen® [Exact-Fit] Galaxy S6 Edge Case Slim **NEW** [Thin Fit] [Gunmetal] Premium Matte Finish Hard Case for Galaxy S6 Edge (2015) - Gunmetal (SGP11410)
Price: $10.99
3 used & new from $10.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Multiple S6 Edge Cases, April 11, 2015
I've been playing with several cases on my Galaxy S6 Edge; and, interestingly enough, both my favorite and least favorite cases are from the same company.

This Slim Fit case isn't much thinner than the other options, but it definitely feels cheaper - and doesn't seem like it would provide much protection.

Hopefully this format works; but, I'm going to quickly go through the pros and cons of all the different cases I've tried out so far.

[*** Spigen Slim Fit Hard Case for S6 Edge (This Case) (2 Stars) ***]

PRO: Works perfectly with wireless charging. Not problems with dropping off once the phone is close to fully charged.

PRO: Slips easily in and out of my pocket.

CON: Doesn't fit the phone as well as it should - and it feels like it won't stay put over time.

CON: This case looks good in the pictures, but looks 'cheap' on the phone.

CON: Feels slippery, and doesn't seem like it would protect the phone very well.

CONCLUSION: This case isn't much smaller than the other cases I tried; but, doesn't lend a sense of confidence that it will actually protect the phone. It's also slippery and makes the phone harder to pick up off a table.

[*** Spigen Neo Hybrid for S6 Edge (5 Stars) ***]

PRO: Slips easily in and out of my pocket.

PRO: Works great with the shape of the S6 Edge - it makes it easier to pick the phone up off a flat surface.

PRO: I love the look and feel of this case!

CONCLUSION: Interestingly enough, I didn't like any of the Spigen cases I tried for the Galaxy S4 or S5. This case, however is my absolute favorite for the S6 Edge. It fits the phone like a glove, and complements the phone design extremely well. You also get the protection of a dual layer case without much additional bulk.

[*** UAG for S6 Edge (4 Stars) ***]

PRO: Fits like a glove, and actually looks like it's a built-in part of the phone.

PRO: Ports are all easily accessible, and buttons work well.

PRO: I love the 'industrial' look of the UAG cases.

CON: Not as easy to hold onto as previous case. This is largely due to the S6 Edge design.

CON: Poor combination of feeling slick when holding - yet sticking in my pocket.

CONCLUSION: From the start, I expected the UAG to be my favorite - but was quickly let down. The overall feel of this case just doesn't work very well with the S6 Edge design (at least in my opinion).

[*** Speck Candy Shell Case for S6 Edge (4 Stars) ***]

PRO: Ports are all easily accessible.

PRO: Slips easily in and out of my pocket.

CON: Buttons aren't as easy to locate by touch because they blend too well with the case texture.

CON: I know this is a personal preference thing; but, I can't help but not liking the look of this case.

CONCLUSION: If you like the look of the Speck cases, I think this is an excellent option! It seems to provide good protection, slips easily in and out of a pocket, is easy to pick up off a flat surface, and fits the phone like a glove.

[*** Spigen TPU Case for S6 Edge (3 Stars) ***]

PRO: Slips easily in and out of my pocket.

PRO: Works pretty well with the shape of the S6 Edge. It's kind of in the middle of the pack - expecially when picking the phone up off a flat surface.

PRO: The case looks good (at least in my opinion).

CON: The rubber sides don't hold onto the case very well. As a result it's easy to pull it off so it doesn't look straight (although it doesn't come completely off).

CON: The case is pretty slippery.

CONCLUSION: This case was probably the biggest disappointment for me because I do like the look. Unfortunately, it just doesn't stay put on the phone well enough.

[*** Conclusion ***]

All these cases have a pretty similar size - but it's amazing how different they perform and feel in basic testing.

Overall, this was definitely the least impressive case I tried; although, I'm sure it will appeal to somebody. It just has a cheap feel, and doesn't seem like it will stay on the phone or offer much protection.

Honestly, I suspect if I dropped the phone this case would just pop off and not provide any protection at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2015 11:13 AM PDT

Galaxy S6 Edge Case, Spigen® [Resilient] Galaxy S6 Edge Case Impact Protection **NEW** [Capsule Ultra Rugged] [Black] Ultimate protection from drops and impacts for Galaxy S6 Edge (2015) - Black (SGP11414)
Price: $11.99
3 used & new from $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Comparing Multiple S6 Edge Cases, April 11, 2015
Even though my favorite S6 Edge case is from Spigen, and looks a lot like this model - in person they are pretty significantly different. Not in size or looks, but in feel.

[*** Spigen TPU Case for S6 Edge (This Case) (3 Stars) ***]

PRO: Slips easily in and out of my pocket.

PRO: The case looks good (at least in my opinion).

CON: The case is pretty slippery.

[*** Spigen Neo Hybrid for S6 Edge (5 Stars) ***]

PRO: Slips easily in and out of my pocket.

PRO: I love the look and feel of this case!

[*** UAG for S6 Edge (4 Stars) ***]

PRO: Ports are all easily accessible, and buttons work well.

PRO: I love the 'industrial' look of the UAG cases.

[*** Speck Candy Shell Case for S6 Edge (4 Stars) ***]

PRO: Ports are all easily accessible.

[*** Spigen Slim Fit Hard Case for S6 Edge (2 Stars) ***]

PRO: Slips easily in and out of my pocket.

CON: This case looks good in the pictures, but looks 'cheap' on the phone.

[*** Conclusion ***]

This case was probably the biggest disappointment because I really do like the look of it. Unfortunately, the feel of the case just didn't measure up to the other cases I tried.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2015 1:10 PM PDT