Profile for D. Matheny > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Matheny RSS Feed (Austin, TX)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dell Inspiron i5348-8889BLK 23-Inch Touchscreen All-in-One Desktop
Dell Inspiron i5348-8889BLK 23-Inch Touchscreen All-in-One Desktop
Offered by antonline
Price: $1,263.94
4 used & new from $1,199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, July 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using these Dell All-In-One systems in our store as Kiosks over the last year and have been impressed. That's why I was excited to get one for our house.

After using it for the last couple of weeks, here are the things I like about it:

1) It looks great! The computer it was replaced was a traditional tower computer, that I had built myself, with a 24" monitor - and this Dell eliminates both the tower and all associated wires. Our home office looks a lot cleaner as a result.

2) The screen quality is excellent!

3) The touch screen is nice - and I've really started to get used to that on Windows 8 systems. It's kind of hard to switch to non-touch systems once you get used to that feature.

4) It runs completely silently. This is something I demand in all my PCs.

5) I hate factory images because of all the bloatware that's installed; and, as a result, I typically reformat and re-install before even booting a system up. I was in the process of getting my install disks together when I saw a note in the box that said this system shipped with a clean image - so I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did because it saved me the time of doing a re-install! The image is a truly clean Windows 8 system, and I've got to hand it to Dell for finally figuring out that it makes more sense to ship systems without all the additional software.

Although I am loving this system in general, I do have one complaint:

When looking at the specs, this should be an absolute beast - but it isn't. I suspect the weak link is the 5400 RPM hard drive - which doesn't match up with the Core i7 and the 12GB of RAM...

I've added SSD drives into my other computers, so I'll probably do the same with this one - and that should make this one of the fastest computers I own.

At the end of the day, I would highly recommend this system even though the performance isn't quite what I had expected. Once again, I suspect that performance is due to the fact that I'm used to systems running off of SSD drives - which makes a huge difference.

These all-in-ones have finally gotten to a point where they truly are good enough to replace standard tower systems!

Lexmark 57X9011 Wireless Printer
Lexmark 57X9011 Wireless Printer
Price: $81.16
11 used & new from $78.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't help as much as I'd hoped, July 15, 2014
We recently got a Lexmark MS610DN Laser Printer for the store, and we're really happy with it; but, there is an issue where it pauses for about 15 seconds after printing 2 double-sided pages. That's a problem because our print jobs are mostly 6 pages (or 3 double-sided pages).

I did some reading and figured maybe it was a memory issue - so I bought some Corsair laptop memory because it was less than a quarter of the cost of this. The install was simple - all I had to do was remove the side panel on the printer and snap the DIMM into the single available slot. Unfortunately, the printer would just hang while doing the memory test, so I returned the Corsair memory and got this Lexmark memory instead.

Once the new Lexmark memory came, the install was just as easy - and the printer booted up perfectly. That was great; but, even after the upgrade our original issue with printing PDF files didn't go away, which was a pretty big disappointment.

I do realize that this will help a lot of people, but it didn't work for us. It's also too bad the Corsair memory didn't work since it was so much cheaper.

Lexmark 52D1X00 Extra High Yield Return Program Toner
Lexmark 52D1X00 Extra High Yield Return Program Toner
Offered by Blizzard LLC
Price: $429.99
59 used & new from $382.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cost per page!, July 12, 2014
We're running these toner cartridges in our Lexmark MS811 printer in order to reduce overall printing cost.

The print quality is good, and these do last quite a bit longer than the lower yield cartridges. The ability to use this cartridge is the primary reason we upgraded from the MS810 to the MS811 in our office.

If you want to get the best possible cost per page from your MS811 or MS812 printer, then I would highly recommend these extra high yield cartridges!

SAMY Designer Handbags 8-Pin to Micro USB Adapter (5 Pack)
SAMY Designer Handbags 8-Pin to Micro USB Adapter (5 Pack)
Offered by AZUZA
Price: $6.20
3 used & new from $6.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, July 12, 2014
I only needed a couple of these adapters for the kids' phones; but, these were cheap enough that I picked up a 5 pack. When they arrived, there were actually 6 in the package, so I definitely have enough. :)

Regardless, I tested all 6 and they've been working perfectly over the last week.

These are basically being used to charge the kids' phones overnight using standard USB cables in a Charging Station.

I've read the other reviews where people have had bad luck with these adapters working - but the ones I got work perfectly.

Qi Standard Wireless charging Receiver for SAMSUNG Galaxy S4
Qi Standard Wireless charging Receiver for SAMSUNG Galaxy S4
Offered by LERWAY Tech.
Price: $8.38
21 used & new from $3.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, July 12, 2014
I wanted to add wireless QI charging to my Galaxy S4 phone, and decided to give this little receiver a try.

The install was extremely easy. I just removed the back cover, positioned this receiver so it would line up with the charging contacts inside the S4, taped it into position (using the provided tape) and then put the cover back on.

Once installed, I could tell the phone was just a slight bit thicker; but, when I put the phone case back on, I couldn't tell any difference in thickness at all.

I'm using it with a PowerBot PB1082 Charging Pad and have found that it charges just as fast as plugging it in directly to a USB charger. It's just far more convenient!

If you're looking to add wireless charging to your Galaxy S4, I would highly recommend giving this a try!

Motorola DS9208 Corded Omnidirectional LED Desktop Barcode Reader with USB Host Interface and 7' Cable, 5V DC, Black
Price: $293.69
9 used & new from $287.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & Easy to Program, July 10, 2014
We've been using 2D barcodes in our shop for a while, and I wasn't expecting much difference with these Motorola units - but they've turned out to be an excellent surprise!

After receiving them, I downloaded the PDF user guide from Motorola and spent some time getting them setup for our software. (For example, we transmit data using <data><suffix> so our software can easily distinguish between barcode data and a standard keyboard.)

Once they were programmed, we used Command Strips to mount them by the computers in the front of the store and started using them.

It became obvious very quickly that these scanners are top-of-the-line products.

Here are the things we like about them:

1) These are very fast at reading data. Reading the barcode from a customer driver's license, for example, takes a third of the time of our other scanners!

2) Since we use scanners to track serial numbers and other data on all our products and forms, it's nice that we can disable scanning UPC codes. That's always caused us issues when a UPC code is placed next to a serial number barcode by a manufacturer.

3) The accuracy is also excellent with 1D barcodes - that typically isn't a problem with any scanner when reading 2D barcodes...

4) I like that these auto-detect when a box is held in front of the scanner. It makes it ideal for POS usage - or you can also set it up to use the button if you need a handheld unit.

5) The price isn't much more than other 2D scanners that are far less capable.

We just came back to purchase 3 more scanners, and went with more of these. I highly recommend these if you're looking for a very nice 2D scanner!

Lexmark MS811dn - Monochrome Laser Printer - Duplex - 1200 dpi - 63 ppm - 650 sheets - USB host
Offered by DAVTECH Computer Center
Price: Click here to see our price
39 used & new from $930.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Flexible Printer I've Found!, July 9, 2014
We've been using the Lexmark MS810DN Printer as our primary office printer for over a year and it's been extremely impressive. It's fast, inexpensive to operate, reliable, and flexible; but, we were pushing it to the limits of what it was built for - going through more than 10-20 reams of paper a week and a 25K toner every couple of weeks.

Since I needed another printer for running MICR toner, it seemed obvious to move the old MS810DN into that roll and upgraded our primary printer to this MS811DN model. The upgrade couldn't have been simpler since this printer uses the exact same trays and other accessories as the MS810DN. :)

The primary advantages over the MS810DN are:

1) The MS811DN supports a 40K ultra high capacity toner cartridge, which makes it less expensive to run.

2) The MS811DN is also a bit faster than the MS810DN.

Aside from that, they're pretty much identical.

At the end of the day, the biggest thing these printers have going for them is their flexibility. If you're looking to run multiple paper sizes, including envelopes, or other odd sizes, through standard paper trays - then these printers are the only option I've found.

We currently have our printer configured like this:

- 2100 Sheet Tray: Standard 8.5x11 paper
- 550 Sheet Tray #1: #10 Envelopes
- 550 Sheet Tray #2: #9 Envelopes
- 550 Sheet Tray #3: Certified Mail Receipts
- 550 Sheet Tray #4: Fingerprint Cards

Here are some of the things we like about both these printers:

- The output quality is excellent! When we print important documents, we use the 1200dpi setting instead of the default 1200IQ since it is noticeably better; but, the default quality is great for most purposes (like invoices and envelopes).

- This printer is very fast! We print a lot of small print jobs (2-5 pages), and it's great that they are done so quickly.

- The duplex feature works great. We haven't had any jams at all.

- The networking and configuration was simple.

- Cost per page is also excellent with high capacity toner options. The 40K page toner cartridge is a great buy!

Overall, I would highly recommend this printer if you need to feed document sizes other than just 8.5x11 paper. Even if you don't have that requirement, I have to admit that this is one of the best laser printers I've ever used - and I suspect a lot of small offices would be extremely happy with something like this!

Motorola LS4208 Symbol Handheld Corded 2D Raster Laser Barcode Reader with Multi-Interface and 7' USB Type A Straight Cable
Price: $233.76
9 used & new from $139.00

4.0 out of 5 stars This will NOT scan 2D barcodes, July 9, 2014
We recently switched to Motorola 2D barcode scanners in the shop; so, when I went to buy a few more, I quickly grabbed some of these off Amazon without doing as much reading as I should have.

The scanners came quickly and were extremely easy to program (as I've found with the other Motorola scanners as well). Once I had the first one setup, I pulled out a QR code for a test scan and it didn't read at all.

Unfortunately, it turns out that this isn't really a 2D barcode scanner like I was thinking. Apparently, when Motorola mentions 2D with this model, they have some other technology in mind that does NOT include reading QR, PDF417, or any other 2D barcode format...

Based on the price and the description, I had just assumed it would read those 2D codes; so, if you're thinking the same thing, this will NOT read 2D barcodes - although it does appear to be an excellent scanner if you don't need that feature.

Personally, I ended up going back and purchasing some of the Motorola DS9208 scanners that I already know work exceptionally well for 2D barcodes.

Panasonic BK-3MCCA4BA eneloop AA New 2100 Cycle Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack
Price: $14.79
28 used & new from $9.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Same Eneloop Quality, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've gotten to a point where I'll only use Eneloop rechargeable batteries for a couple of reasons:

1) They have a very good capacity, which makes them a good fit for pretty much any device.

2) Even more importantly, they hold a charge pretty much indefinitely when not in use. This is a huge difference from traditional rechargeable batteries, which are lucky to last a month on the shelf without going dead.

Now that Panasonic has picked up the brand, I'm happy to say they work just as well as the original Eneloop batteries ever did.

Although I love the batteries, and wouldn't use anything else, I do prefer the Lacrosse BC500 Charger because it offers more flexibility.

These batteries are a great way to save money over time with everything from Xbox controllers to short range radios. I would highly recommend trying them out.

Wilson Electronics - 460101 DT 4G - Cell Phone Signal Booster for Small Home or Office
Offered by AZDeals
Price: $348.99
30 used & new from $333.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Booster Package, July 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before going into details, let me say that these boosters work great IF you live in an area that has a reasonable cell signal outside your home or office. If you don't have a signal outside, then you probably won't notice much of a change inside - even with the booster correctly installed.

In my case, I have an excellent signal outside; but, it's completely dead inside because of the way our roof is insulated with a radiant barrier. That makes me a perfect use case for this type of booster - and I've actually been using a zBoost Signal Booster successfully for years. That unit recently failed, so I replaced it with this Wilson Electronics model.

This Wilson Electronics booster is an improvement over the zBoost unit I had (although, it's possible the zBoost has improved since I originally got mine). Here are the main differences I've seen:

1) This offers the ability to adjust signal strength on each band, which let me adjust the signal to the maximum level that didn't cause feedback issues. It did take some experimentation to get a level that will work continuously; but, after a few days, I had everything fully adjusted and haven't had to touch it since.

2) This unit will boost a 4G cell signal. That doesn't make much difference for my phone since I use Wifi at home; but, it does make a difference for people who visit. Since I am using Wifi for data, I didn't spend much time fine tuning the 4G signal.

Because I had already spent the time to get the original booster installed correctly, this unit was easy to just plug into my existing wiring; but, I should point out a few tips that will help get the most of this booster:

1) Make sure the antenna truly is in a place that will give you a consistent signal quality. I used my cell phone to measure the signal; but, when I first mounted my antenna, I picked a bad spot because I didn't realize how long my phone takes to update the signal strength meter. I ended up having to move the antenna - and the second time I held the phone in place for about a minute in each location to be sure I really did have a good signal.

2) Keep the antenna as fully separated from the base station as possible - open air distance won't work great for this, but wall and ceiling materials will. In my house, the radiant barrier in the roof actually helps the booster out since it keeps the base station from seeing the antenna at all. The more you can isolate the signals from the inside and outside antennas, the more you'll be able to turn up the boost on the inside.

3) If you want to increase the range inside your house, the best thing you can probably do is to add a better directional outdoor antenna to this kit since it will both improve the signal and the separation from the indoor antenna. I'm pretty sure that's the only difference between this kit and the larger range kits that Wilson also sells.

Anyway, I did end up using Wilson's directional antenna - and it makes a huge difference to the range I can get in the house. Interestingly enough, I ended up getting a better signal from a tower that wasn't the closest to my house - and Wilson tech support was helpful with getting that figured out. Basically, I found it worked best to just point at the tower that my phone was trying to connect to in the house when the booster wasn't turned on.

*** Conclusion ***

Overall, If you have a reasonably good signal outside your home or business - but not inside, then this is the perfect solution. (It probably won't do anything if you live in a dead zone outside.)

If you are looking to bring that signal inside, then I would highly recommend this booster from Wilson!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20