Profile for R. Cross > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 98

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Cross "LVWolfman" RSS Feed (Las Vegas, NV)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
GoSmart Professional 200M Stylus for Apple iPad, iPad 2, iPad Air, iPhone - Black
Offered by GoSmart, Inc.
Price: $24.95

3.0 out of 5 stars It works better for my wife than myself., November 9, 2013
I loved the idea of this stylus. My wife and I play Zynga game called Draw Something 2 on our iPads. Until that game, the fat rubbery stylus tips worked fine. But for drawing I wanted to see where the tip really was. I.E. More accuracy. The wire cross hair target tip seemed perfect.

The pen seems very well built, but in use I found that the edge of the wire target would draw more often than the center. That pretty much ruined the purpose I had in mind.

So I ordered a couple of Jot styluses, they use a clear plastic disk for the foot. I found that they tracked perfectly for me. However, my wife preferred the GoSmart. She claims that obviously the GoSmart is left-handed (as is she) and the Jot right-handed.

All I know is that I carry one Jot, have the other on my nightstand and she won't let the GoSmart out of her sight.

Neoprene Water Bottle Drawstring Insulator Cooler Koozie, Royal Blue by Bags for Less
Offered by Bags for Less
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Suited My Needs Perfectly, November 9, 2013
I drink a lot of flavored water. I use 20oz plastic soda bottles, fill them with tap water and then use the single serving Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch and other products. All sugar-free, they taste great and are both cheaper and healthier than sodas.

But, here in the Las Vegas area, and especially when using evaporative coolers (swamp coolers) like we do, the bottles sweat and do I mean sweat! They sweat enough to ruin anything near them on the table. So a regular bottle cozy wouldn't have worked as they have open bottoms.

This fits those 20 ounce bottles very well and not a drop of water has formed on the outside or the table. The material probably insulates well enough to keep the bottle cold longer as well.

42-Inch by 24-Inch Grooming Table w/ Hydraulic Pump
42-Inch by 24-Inch Grooming Table w/ Hydraulic Pump

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than described - With a few very minor warnings about assembly and operation, November 9, 2013
This table is very sturdy and holds all of our dogs from the ten pound Maltese to the 35-40 lb German Spitz. My wife uses to to groom all of our dogs (our Doxy insists on being groomed despite her very short hair), trim their nails and even brush their teeth. She even grooms our 17-year-old cat on it (his fur gets extremely matted very easily now.)

I highly recommend this table for anyone who spends time working on their dog(s) or cat(s). It beats sitting on the couch or floor bent over.

It shipped in a extremely thin box, thicker at one end for the pump. The table went together easily despite the marginal, photocopied instructions. (Hint, the black screws go on the black parts, the chrome scows on the chrome parts.) While I didn't actually time it, my feeling is that it went together in less than an hour. The tools needed to assemble the table were all provided.

In use, the table is actually able to go taller than specified which is a good thing. While locked (more on that later) it CAN be turned but it takes an effort.

At first, I thought that the pump was either broken or that I'd somehow assembled it incorrectly. No, it was me. The pump handle doesn't work the way I thought.

It isn't a foot operated pump. To raise the table, you have to reach down and lift the handle up and down.
To lower the table, you have to raise the handle with your hand and press down on the table top.
To rotate the table, you raise the handle with your hand to unlock it, then turn the table.
To lock the table in place (vertically and rotationally) you can use your foot to step on the handle.

Simple in operation but as I said, initially I expected it to be a foot operated pump. Trust me, putting almost all of my 250 pounds of weight on it while trying to pump it certainly locked it in place!

BTW, there are three models of this table. All are identical except for the base. The low end model has a round disk for the base. The high end model has the frame base as shown in the picture and has screw in leveling feet for uneven surfaces. The middle model only differs from the high end model by not having the leveling feet.

The one I bought here on Amazon from Boston Atlantic Capital Group is the high end model.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2014 6:34 PM PST

Magic Fingers - Discovery
Magic Fingers - Discovery
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Start, November 4, 2013
A very enjoyable tale, well written and of course, all too short. However it leaves the reader wanting more and that is a mark of success. As an aside, there are a few typos where the wrong word is used. They only serve as speed bumps, but a proofreader is something the author could use to make the book better.

I will be buying future books in the series.

Connectland Stereo Headset Teal 40 mm Speaker
Connectland Stereo Headset Teal 40 mm Speaker
Price: $15.95
12 used & new from $8.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Disposable Headphones, September 18, 2013
My 86-year-old mother-in-law spends most of her day laying in bed watching TV and listening via headphones. Because she's deaf in one ear and almost in the other, I set her up with a 74" TV at the foot of her bed and an amplified TV Ears speaker with headphone jack on her nightstand.

I've bought her many types of headphones costing as much as $140, none have lasted and she complains that the more expensive ones sound like "They are in a tunnel". So out of financial frustration, I picked up three pair of these headsets from Amazon eight months ago. I chose these because they were very inexpensive and come in colors she likes.

Surprisingly, she swears that these are the best sounding headphones I've ever gotten her. It dawned on me that they aren't very good when it comes to bass. The more expensive sets produce lots of bass for the music. Combine that with her hearing loss, especially in the upper frequencies and she's hearing nothing but midrange, where people talk.

In the past eight months, she's destroyed two pair and is now on the last pair. So I'm back to order more.

When I say destroyed, I mean that she break cups off of the bands, breaks the wires and in one pair of these, pulled the wire off of an internal speaker connection. When she complains, I tell her that they weren't meant for wearing while we sleep. She does the same thing to very expensive headphones as well, so it isn't a fault of the headphones.

So, if you need a set of disposable headphones, especially for children (even 86-year-old ones), these are your ticket! I'll probably order four more today which combined with the one set she still has will get her through another 1.5 years and still cost me a lot less than one pair of "good" headphones.

Attacked! (Last Plane out of Paris, Part 1)
Attacked! (Last Plane out of Paris, Part 1)
Price: $0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you don't mind buying each chapter, September 2, 2013
This is the first of six books in the series. Based on the length of this, each book is roughly a chapter in length making it $6 for the whole book. As long as you know that going in, it isn't a bad deal.

While it is too early in the book to tell for sure, character development is good, the scenes and settings are descriptive enough to paint a good picture,

Will I buy the rest? Probably, as I got the first four books/installments for free, so $2 to find out the ending is reasonable.

Foscam FI8910W Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with Two-Way Audio and Night Vision (Black)
Price: $64.99
101 used & new from $52.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best IP PTZ Cam I've Owned, June 16, 2013
I bought my FI8910W almost a year ago (July of 2012) and it was my second one of the type. The first was a Foscam clone with the same features as this for about 1/3rd less. Quality of video is similar but setup on the Foscam is easier.

In almost a year, it has never failed and I've never had to contact support. I view my cameras on the Mac, Windows 8, iPad, iPhone and Android tablet using free or very low cost software.

I'm here today not just to leave this review but to buy another one. I use them for security cameras and to monitor my 86 year old mother-in-law who lives alone four miles away. I'd gotten used to being able to check on her. We just moved her to another house and I haven't moved the camera yet. This morning I found that she didn't answer an automated phone call I set up to remind her to give her dog his epilepsy pill. So I called her only to get a busy signal. So I drove over to find the phone knocked off the hook and her reading a book. If I'd had the camera set up again, one click would have reassured me that she was OK.

These cameras a great for that use. If you need razor sharp HD recording for evidence in criminal cases, no... nothing in this price range will suit. But if you want to have a reliable way of checking on a room, this is very hard to beat.

The best feature is the night-vision. The infra-red LEDS do a great job if lighting up a wall over 20 feet away. In fact, it is difficult for me to distinguish between interior night vision and daytime video in one of the rooms (there's no much color in the room.)

Perma Soft Denture Reliner Kit--Reline 2 Denture Plates
Perma Soft Denture Reliner Kit--Reline 2 Denture Plates
Offered by Perma Laboratories
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasted Four Years!, June 9, 2013
Yes, I bought this in 2009. My wife and I got our dentures at the same time. She got hers relined after six months as suggested by the dentist. They never fit right after. So I bought this.

It was just as easy to apply as suggested. Mix, spread, wear, trim. Yes, the taste is terrible when you do it. It fades soon enough. Now, almost four years later, it finally started to bubble up. So I removed it by using a soft Popsicle stick. Shouldn't have done that. Now the uppers literally fall loose when I talk.

I never had a problem with fit. Up until I removed the liner, they fit as well as when the dentures were first fitted.

So I'm here to order another batch.

GM Chevrolet Mid-Size Cars, 1964-88 (Chilton's Total Car Care Repair Manual)
GM Chevrolet Mid-Size Cars, 1964-88 (Chilton's Total Car Care Repair Manual)
by Chilton
Price: $30.35
64 used & new from $1.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Hard to find, April 9, 2013
I've been a shade tree mechanic on and off for over 40 years. (More off than on.) As a teen, Dad and I kept busy every weekend doing tune-ups, oil changes, shocks and tires and other light mechanical work in our residential garage. It brought in a small amount of extra cash and helped out a lot of the guys stationed with my dad at March AFB, Califoria. This was long before the days of Jiffy Lube and the like.

Chilton manuals were one of the three things that made our weekend lives easier, the others being our local NAPA jobber and Sears Craftsman hand tools.

Things being the way they are, I've had to start doing more of my own mechanical work again as I just can't afford many trips to the mechanic.

For instance, my wife's '81 El Camino, 'Pink Lady', has a leaking heater core. A good shop that does those wants $350 to change it out. The heater core is $29 at both NAPA and Pep Boys. Doing it myself, I bought this book, new hoses, new anti-freeze (of course) and a heater core for a fraction of what the shop wanted. Without this Chilton manual, I probably wouldn't have tackled the job.

The photos, illustrations and tips showed me exactly what I needed to know to get the job done with the least effort, bruised knuckles and quarters in the cussing jar.

I've tried other brand manuals and some of them, especially one certain publisher leave a lot to be desired. Other than factory shop manuals, all I'll buy again are Chilton manuals.

As far as THIS copy goes, it was a used copy for a VERY cheap price. The book is in fine shape, especially for its age and was a library copy. I don't care, it still works, isn't all marked up or greasy.

AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI  Adapter Cable - 9.8 Feet (3 Meters)
AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable - 9.8 Feet (3 Meters)
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far It Is Great!, April 9, 2013
I wanted to be able to hook my Vizio CT15-A1 notebook to an external monitor but it only came with HDMI. I have a nice, older 24" Sony monitor that does 1920x1080 but it has only DVI and two VGA ports.

Enter this AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI adapter cable.

As is typical for an AmazonBasics product, this is value at its best. The cable seems solid, packaging was minimal, the price was right and it was plug and play.

I plugged it into the notebook and into the DVI connector on the monitor and when I booted Windows 8, there it was, mirrored on both monitors and looking just fine.

I don't need the almost 10' of cable at the moment, so it is coiled up behind the monitor. But it is nice to know that I have the reach if needed.

Bottom line, if you need a quality cable to connect an HDMI output to a DVI input, I don't see how you can go wrong with this cable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10