Profile for Cathe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 614

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cathe RSS Feed (curled up with a book)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Say What You Will
Say What You Will
by Cammie McGovern
Price: $11.71
75 used & new from $6.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and makes you think, October 27, 2014
This review is from: Say What You Will (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was a sweet, touching, sort-of-love story about a teen girl with Cerebral Palsy and a teen boy with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder who are drawn to each other--though a series of misunderstandings keep breaking them apart. The book is advertised as "The Fault in Our Stars" meets "Eleanor and Park" but I'd say it's more "The Fault in Our Stars" meets "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper.

In any case, the book was such an engrossing read. The characters came to life and got into my heart, and the story felt very real. The only thing that didn't ring quite true to me was Amy's obsession with having sex.I mean give me a break . . . she hadn't even kissed the boy yet. And without giving spoilers, she just seemed too organized and too much of a planner to get into the situation that she does toward the end. I also did see her overprotective mom suddenly dropping out of the picture completely when Amy goes off to college. But those inconsistencies aside, I really loved the characters and the story. It's so nice that there are so many books out now about kids or teens that might look or act different from the norm, but really are just people with the same hopes, dreams and needs as anyone else. If you like this theme check out: Firegirl, Wonder, Stuck in Neutral, and Out of My Mind.

New Star Foodservice 42849 Enameled Aluminum Lime Squeezer, Green
New Star Foodservice 42849 Enameled Aluminum Lime Squeezer, Green
Offered by New Star Foodservice Inc
Price: $5.49
3 used & new from $5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and easy to clean, October 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been wanting one of these for a while and I'm so glad to have finally got one. I used this on limes and a couple of medium sized lemons and it worked fine. I cut the fruit in half, set the half in the scoop and squeezed -- it extracted a LOT of juice. And what I love is that the squeezer is so easy to clean--mush less work then my twisty juicer. I like the bright green color and it seems to be sturdy enough so far. Very happy.

Us: A Novel
Us: A Novel
by David Nicholls
Price: $18.38
57 used & new from $11.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Some parts good, some not so good, October 21, 2014
This review is from: Us: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Just before they are to leave on a European tour with their 17-year-old son, Douglas's wife, Connie, announces she is thinking of leaving him. They go on the trip anyway and things just get worse as Douglas can't seem to do anything right causing his wife and son to either laugh at him or get angry with him. The book alternates between Douglas (the serious scientist) and Connie's (the free spirit artist) early relationship and the current story.

This book seemed to be trying too hard. Douglas was just too much of a bumbler -- I mean seriously: blisters, a half sunburn, forgetting his clothes, getting arrested--there were many parts of this book that he just comes across as such an idiot that I pretty much stopped caring about him. And along that line, Albie his son is just too much of a selfish jerk--and Connie was pretty mean. That was all pretty much in the current story. I did, however, really enjoy the backstory of how Douglas and Connie met and fell in love. Those parts of the book were sweet and funny and the characters were not so over the top.Perhaps the author is trying to show how the characteristics that are so endearing in the beginning of a relationship become the major annoyances later on, but it still didn't quite work for me.

DII Round Woven/Braided Placemats/Chargers, Metallic Red, Set of 6
DII Round Woven/Braided Placemats/Chargers, Metallic Red, Set of 6
Price: $23.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Glitzy!, October 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are very bright red and a bit sparkly -- fun for holiday time or when you want something a little glitzy. They are not quite as sturdy as I was expecting and they don't lay completely flat--the center seems to cone up a bit. They are also too small to fit a dinner plate along with napkin, silverware and glass. I wouldn't want them any taller, but I would like them wider. There's a reason placemats are usually rectangular and not round. I'm thinking I'd use them more for decoration than for actual placemats on the dinner table. They'd be nice holding a holiday center piece . .

Always Discreet, Incontinence Liners, Ultra Thin, Regular Length, 30 Count
Always Discreet, Incontinence Liners, Ultra Thin, Regular Length, 30 Count

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since having kids, I occasionally need a little extra protection -- like when I have a cold and am sneezing a lot or when jogging, etc. These pads work well for that. They are thin and comfortable and absorb small amounts of leakage well. I'm not sure what the difference is between these and the ultra thin maxi pads that I usually use, but these do work.

Vornado MVH Whole Room Vortex Heater, Black
Vornado MVH Whole Room Vortex Heater, Black
Price: $59.99
4 used & new from $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Super quiet!, October 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Oh my gosh--this is the quietest heater ever. You don't even know it's on! And boy does it heat. I felt a noticeable difference after just a few minutes and it was too much longer that the whole room was warm. It has three heat settings for the number of watts you want to use, plus adjustable thermostat. The only thing to watch out for is that since it's so quiet, you might forget to turn it off.

Positive: A Memoir
Positive: A Memoir
by Paige Rawl
Price: $13.67
74 used & new from $4.21

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful read for middle school girls, October 8, 2014
This review is from: Positive: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Such a sad story--but hopeful too! After Paige tells her best friend that she is HIV positive, her friend immediately spreads the word and for the next few years--until her mother finally takes Paige out of school--she is relentlessly bullied by her classmates. Paige suffers emotional and physical problems because of the bullying and gets no help from school authorities. But Paige is quite an amazing young woman as she uses her experience to help others and becomes an activist against bullying. Her memoir is a quick but powerful read and written perfectly for middle school girls -- in fact I'm passing this right on to my 13-year-old daughter and I'm hoping she will pass it on to her friends.

The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing: A Novel
The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing: A Novel
by Mira Jacob
Price: $18.94
74 used & new from $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and enjoyable, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Amina, a wedding photographer living on her own, gets a call from her mother who is worried because Amina's father spends his nights out in the yard talking to dead relatives. Amina travels home and has to not only deal with what's happening with her father, but needs to finally come to terms with the the death of her brother, as does the rest of her family. This was a quirky and different book with characters and a story that really grew on me. Enjoyable book.

Paderno World Cuisine Mandolin Vegetable Slicer
Paderno World Cuisine Mandolin Vegetable Slicer
Price: $39.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as safe as I'd hoped, September 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this slicer to prepare vegetables for a vegetable soup. I wanted to slice leeks, celery, carrots and dice a sweet potato. The straight slicing blade worked well for the leeks, carrots, and celery. The sharp blade cut easily through and I was able to adjust the thickness. However, I had to hold the vegetables in my hand because the pins in the hand guard holder are way too far apart to hold thin vegetables. So I needed to be careful when slicing to not get my finders nicked, especially as I got to the end of the vegetable. I have to say that this strongly disappoints me as I was hoping this slicer would be a safer alternative to a knife for for my daughters to use when chopping vegetables. However, I would never let them do what I did today.

Then I turned the knob bringing up the julienne blades so I could dice my sweet potato . . . or at least cut them into strips that I would then cut horizontally with a knife to create a dice. I cut the sweet potato in half and I was able to insert the pins of the hand guard holder into the sweet potato. I ran the potato thru the julienne blades and into the slicing blade but the potato kept getting stuck and also the holder seemed to lock into place and didn't move down as I sliced and when I tried to adjust it, the potato kept popping off. My potatoes actually looked a mess. Maybe white potatoes that are not as tough would have worked better.

So--to sum up. I liked this best for chopping thinner veggies. They sliced easily and were very uniform, however, there is a safety issue and I wouldn't trust my children to be careful enough to stop in time from slicing their fingers without the hand guard holder. I wasn't very impressed with the julienne and given the problems feeding them through, that didn't seem very safe nor did it save me time. Perhaps if there was a more detailed instruction booklet with tips for using the holder, I might have had better luck. As of now though, I fear this device is going in the closet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2014 3:33 PM PDT

Black and Decker EHC750BD 3-Cup Ergo Chopper, Black
Black and Decker EHC750BD 3-Cup Ergo Chopper, Black
Offered by BuyDBest Inc.
Price: $36.98
12 used & new from $29.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for pureeing--okay for chopping, September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This works pretty much like a mini food processor. The canister is plastic and you drop the blade in and then the items to chop. The motor is in the top rather than the base. You place it over the canister, plug it in and then you hold down or pulse the slower speed or faster speed button until your items are chopped. The instructions say it has a 3 cup capacity, but the more you put in, the less uniform the pieces are. I put in a half onion which I had cut into chunks and I had some pieces that were pureed and some that were still big. I tried bell peppers, not putting in as much, but still had the same problem. This device works really well for pureeing--I think it would be ideal for making baby food if my kids were still that age. It's quick and powerful and there is a plastic lid for the canister so you can store the chopped or pureed item in the fridge.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2014 6:57 AM PDT