ARRAY(0xa01d0378)

Customer Reviews: 550

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cathe Fein Olson RSS Feed (curled up with a book)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Burning
The Burning
by Jane Casey
Price: $9.42
22 used & new from $1.92

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too obvious, April 14, 2014
This review is from: The Burning (Hardcover)
When a woman is found dead in the park, she seems to be the latest victim of the serial killer known for lighting the victims on fire . . . but there are some inconsistencies. Is it really the serial killer's work or does someone want everyone to think it is?

The book moved along well and Maeve Kerrigan, the detective on the case, is likeable. However, she has to be one of the dumbest detectives ever. It was completely obvious in the first chapter who the killer was and how a police detective could ignore such obvious giveaways was ridiculous. I kept hoping that the author was making it so obvious so that she could turn the tables on the reader and pull another killer out of her hat, but alas no. She must think the reader is as dumb as her detective.

The other thing that bothered me was the convenient letter of confession that the killer writes--like he/she really believed the detectives would just pass on the letter without reading it. And from a reader's perspective, it just tied things up a little too neatly and perfectly.

While Casey is a good writer and does a good job of keeping the reader engaged, her plotting and trust of the reader to "get it" has a way to go.

Panic
Panic
by Lauren Oliver
Price: $11.63
63 used & new from $7.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Lauren Oliver, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Panic (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I read Oliver's "Before I Fall," I was working in a high school library and recommended it to every teen girl who came in and even bought it for my daughter for Christmas. The characters and the message stayed with me long after I finished the book, and all the teens who read it loved it too.

Well, it's the same with this one. Lauren has written another realisitc high school novel that had me biting my nails and turning the pages--wanting but not wanting to know what challenge the perilous game of Panic would bring next. Oliver is a wonderful YA writer and it's such a pleasure to read a non-dystopian, non-post apocalyptic teen novel that is not part of a trilogy. The characters were well-drawn and and there was a strong female main character, and realistic male characters who were not stereotpes. This one will appeal to teen girls and boys.

Fekkai Prx Oil 1.6 Fl Oz
Fekkai Prx Oil 1.6 Fl Oz
Price: $21.28
20 used & new from $16.79

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Fekkai Prx Oil 1.6 Fl Oz (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This oil keeps my hair smooth and tames the frizz. It's a bit heavy and the applicator pumps out quite a bit so I have to be careful not to use too much or it flattens my hair. The oil has a strong scent, at first but it mellows out after a few minutes and it's not unpleasant.

Clear Scalp and Hair Intense Hydration Nourishing Shampoo, 12.9 Ounce
Clear Scalp and Hair Intense Hydration Nourishing Shampoo, 12.9 Ounce
Price: $5.79

3.0 out of 5 stars not all that hydrating, April 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well--the pros are it lathers well, cleans my hair throughly and the scent is very mild--however for a product that's supposed to give "intense hydration" and be "nourishing" my hair has been feeling quite dry since I started using this shampoo--even with conditioner and hair oil. I think I'm going to pass it on to my teenage daughters who have oiler hair than mine.

Wilson Jones Heavy Duty D-Ring View Binder with Extra Durable Hinge, 1-Inch, Red (W385-14-1797PP)
Price: $12.90
4 used & new from $5.91

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap, April 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This binder is flimsy and has a very cheap feel and look to it. I am not impressed at all and do not have hopes of lasting long when it is taken in and out of my child's backpack.

Bic Soleil Shave And Trim Shaver, 4 Count
Bic Soleil Shave And Trim Shaver, 4 Count
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $6.18
5 used & new from $6.05

3.0 out of 5 stars maybe it's just me, April 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
So maybe I'm a bit challanged but while the razor works great, I just haven't had an consistent results with the trimmer. It works sometimes and not others. I've never used a trimmer before so maybe I'm just not doing it right but I tried to follow the instructions that came with it and am just not having much luck.

Miracle-Gro LiquaFeed All Purpose Plant Food Advanced Starter Kit, 16-Ounce
Miracle-Gro LiquaFeed All Purpose Plant Food Advanced Starter Kit, 16-Ounce
Price: $13.99
6 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars handy for outdoors, April 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I found the hose attachment very easy to hook up and use . . . haven't noticed any difference in my plants though.

Dept. of Speculation
Dept. of Speculation
by Jenny Offill
Price: $17.34
55 used & new from $12.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Original and enjoyable, April 7, 2014
This review is from: Dept. of Speculation (Hardcover)
This short novel takes the reader into the mind of "the wife" and relates the ups and downs of her marraige and raising a child. The format is original with changes in point of view, philisophical quotes, and somewhat disjointed chapters but I found it highly readable right from the start and I enjoyed Offill's writing immensely. The only thing that brought my rating down from 5 to 4 stars was that the book just seemed to stop rather than end.

Doing Harm
Doing Harm
by Kelly Parsons
Price: $19.70
84 used & new from $4.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Amatuerish writing, April 4, 2014
This review is from: Doing Harm (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It seems to be a new trend that professionals in certain fields try to write novels that takes advantage of their knowledge. I recently read Snapshot, a law-type thiller which was written by a former Federal prosecutor--and now this one, a medical thriller written by a urologist. While these authors have a lot of knowledge on what they are writing about, they are unforunately not writers.

In the novel Doing Harm, the plot is pretty ridicolus, the characters are one-dimensional, the killer is revealed way too early on, the main chracter is completely unlikeable, and the author spends a lot of time trying to educate the reader in a very obvious way. This line of diaogue is a great example:

"Ketamine?" That's an unusual choice. "You mean the anesthetic also used as an animal tranquilzer?" Like that's how medical professionals would talk to each other.

Of course, judging by the many favorable reviews--others are not bothered by his writing so maybe its just me . . .

You Disappear: A Novel
You Disappear: A Novel
by Christian Jungersen
Price: $20.93
68 used & new from $8.78

3.0 out of 5 stars not much suspense, March 31, 2014
This review is from: You Disappear: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When Frederik, headmaster at a private schoo in Denmark, is accused of embellezing, his wife tries to prove that the crime is a result of his brain tumor. This book is advertised as "a riveting novel of psychological suspense," but I didn't find it very suspenseful. It seemed more a study of how brain injuries affect the victims and their families. The book is told from the point of view of Mia, Frederik's wife, who is so unlikable--as are pretty much all of the chracters. While Jungersen's writing is good, I found the book tedious and was glad to finally be done with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20