Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Molly Atkins > Reviews

Browse

Molly Atkins' Profile

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Molly Atkins RSS Feed (St. Louis, MO)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Goblin Emperor
The Goblin Emperor
by Katherine Addison
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.92
54 used & new from $3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars was instantly engaging and I enjoyed watching him grow and change as he assumed his ..., February 16, 2016
I can't stop thinking about Maia and his life as emperor and all of the implications for him. This tells me I need to rate this at 5 stars instead of four.

This kind of book is usually not one that I would pick up to read. I find court intrigue to be difficult to follow and difficult to understand. However, I'm reading 2015 books, so I decided to try it. I was pleasantly surprised by how interesting this book was. The main character, Maia, was instantly engaging and I enjoyed watching him grow and change as he assumed his new role as emperor. The intrigue was dense, but I was able to follow it enough to enjoy it. The world felt detailed and fully fleshed out, and the non-human cast was an interesting change in perspective from the usual fantasy fare. Overall, I would recommend this book, especially if court intrigue and politics are your cup of tea.

2016 Amy Knapp Family Organizer
2016 Amy Knapp Family Organizer
by Amy Knapp
Edition: Calendar
Price: $11.58
26 used & new from $1.43

3.0 out of 5 stars and while I love the layout of the pages--and I mean I really ..., November 20, 2015
I purchased this a few days ago, and while I love the layout of the pages--and I mean I really love this layout--I am concerned about the quality. The cover seems so thin and the rings already appear to be bending a bit. I will be shocked if this lasts very long, which is a real shame because the layout is fantastic. Did I mention that I love the layout? It's got meal planning, grocery lists, plenty of space for to-dos and the space for each day is just the right size. It's basic enough that I don't find all the blanks overwhelming, but it's got just the right amount of complexity to help me get a handle on my daily life.

I can see myself having to take this in somewhere to see if they can rebind it and put heavy plastic over the cover. Even a cheap laminating job would make this sturdier. Maybe I'll do that preemptively over Christmas break. It really is a shame about the quality because this planner has so much else going for it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2016 12:32 PM PDT

The Aviary
The Aviary
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, Heartbreaking, and Beautiful, April 12, 2015
This review is from: The Aviary (Kindle Edition)
I've been working my way through a massive stack of mid grade fiction (think 20 or more books), and initially I had left this one to the side because I was more interested in fantasy, and this one didn't seem to quite fit the bill. But as the library due date approached, I decided I needed to get my butt into gear and give it a try. I am so glad that I did.

Thus far, this is the only book in that stack that I am willing to give a five-star rating to. It ranks up there as one of the best crafted books I've ever read, to be honest.

There isn't a lot I can say about it without spoiling it, and I don't want to do that. Unlike much of the other mid grade fiction I read, this wasn't a rollicking adventure of any sort. There were no bells and whistles or wild attention grabbers. Instead, the author pulls you in quietly, and before you realize it, you're caught up completely in the world she has created. It is a haunting and heartbreaking tale, but it's beautiful as well.

Read this. Drop everything you are doing right now and read this book. You will not regret it.

Superheroes Anonymous
Superheroes Anonymous
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed this book, November 22, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I pre-ordered it on a whim since the author is local. I thought I'd be nice and support a neighbor, but I had a hard time imagining how superheroes would translate from comic books and the big screen into a novel. I feared lots of drawn out fight scenes and the occasional biff and zot.

What I got instead was a fantastic story about a woman who started out in the wrong place at the wrong time and then just got stuck there. Poor Gail has had everything thrown at her. Every super villain in town has kidnapped her at some point. She's the girl you see tied up, dangling from the building while the villain threatens the hero. What a neat perspective!

She's an awesome character. She doesn't spend much time wallowing in misery about the fact that she's been cast as Hostage Girl for the city of Chicago. She just rolls with it. She's got a sharp wit and a clever sense of humor, and I could not put the story down. I will be sending multiple copies of this book out to friends and family as Christmas gifts. It was a fun read.

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate Series Book 1)
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate Series Book 1)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars fun, funny, and interesting universe, June 20, 2014
It took me a bit to adjust to the universe. I was expecting steampunk, but what I got was a blend of steampunk and urban fantasy. Thankfully, both genres are ones I enjoy and this blend turned out to work great in the story. The female lead was great. Strong, smarter than most of the guys, and full of spunk. The story itself was part mystery, part romance, and part comedy. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading others in the series.

Quick & Easy Tsukemono: Japanese Pickling Recipes
Quick & Easy Tsukemono: Japanese Pickling Recipes
by Ikuko Hisamatsu
Price: $15.54
23 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, tasty, June 8, 2014
The recipes in here are great. Each recipe is accompanied by photos clearly demonstrating the technique. The instructions are careful and detailed. I have made several kinds of garlic pickles and started a nuka pot. So far, everything has been a total success! Some items are difficult to find and may require a trip to your local Asian grocery store, while others must be sourced online, but that's a small price to pay for delicious, delicious Japanese pickles.

Ateco Dough Docker
Ateco Dough Docker
Price: $9.86
20 used & new from $7.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, June 8, 2014
This review is from: Ateco Dough Docker (Kitchen)
Docks the dough and keeps my pizza from rising. It does a great job. It's basic, but really, do you need anything more complicated for a dough docker?

Klean Kanteen 18 oz Stainless Steel Water Bottle with Sport Cap 3.0 - Ocean Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to carry, June 8, 2014
This is light, easy to carry, and fits in my car's cupholders, something that many water bottles can't do. Makes staying hydrated in the hot summer much easier.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, June 8, 2014
Works great. I much prefer the flow and mouth feel of this to any other sport cap or water bottle cap I've tried.

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and Diet Dictocrats
by Mary G. Enig PhD
Price: $15.52
295 used & new from $4.06

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Breastfeeding Advice Aside, Good Cookbook for the Experienced Cook, June 8, 2014
I really struggled with purchasing this book. Sally Fallon, along with her blogging compatriots Healthy Home Economist and Cheeseslave, have put out breastfeeding advice that is so bad that it borders on dangerous. It is certainly in violation of the WHO Code for Marketing Breast Milk Substitutes since they knock down breastfeeding moms in an attempt to sell their own homemade formula kits. I wondered, if she had gotten the breastfeeding information wrong, what else could she have gotten wrong? Because of this and because I did not want to send my financial support, I attempted to get this book from the library or from a used bookstore. Alas, I was unable to do so, so after several years of struggle, I purchased a copy at a heavily discounted price.

Enough reviewing the author, let me review the book itself...

Let me start by saying that unless you are a totally confident cook, this may not be the book for you. Yes, she has many very basic recipes, but I've found that the instructions are somewhat lacking in fine detail, so I am relying on my instincts a bit. I am completely confident in the kitchen, so this is not a problem, but a beginner cook might run into a few flops. The basic recipes, basic buttermilk biscuits for example, are certainly basic, but the technique is quite different, and I am thankful that I am able to fall back on the skills my mom and dad imparted to me as a child to know how the dough is supposed to come out. So I would strongly suggest getting confident in the kitchen and/or having an older edition of Joy of Cooking around to beef up the detail on things like dough texture and technique. I have not tried the more complex recipes yet. I am still experimenting and learning the new techniques for her basic recipes.

So far, I haven't had any major failures with this cookbook, and I find her commentary on fats and grains to be quite interesting. Be aware that many of the recipes are scaled to feed a lot of people so you will need to learn to scale back the measures if you are cooking for a small family. That's another instance where confidence in the kitchen is a plus here.

I do find it difficult to find some of the ingredients for some recipes, and though she does give sources, I prefer to cook with readily available ingredient, so like my grandmother often did, I am making do with what I have.

In short, her ideas are quite interesting (breastfeeding advice aside) and I am glad to have the book in my library. I certainly wish that she would stop digging in her heels on the breastfeeding advice and admit that she and her compatriots made a mistake. That awful scandal and the damage they have caused certainly overshadows everything else she has accomplished.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3