Profile for reviewer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

reviewer RSS Feed

Dr. Pestana's Surgery Notes: Top 180 Vignettes for the Surgical Wards
Dr. Pestana's Surgery Notes: Top 180 Vignettes for the Surgical Wards
by Dr. Carlos Pestana
Price: $20.00
44 used & new from $16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Only used this book, April 26, 2013
I decided to be the guinea pig and rely solely on this book and UW questions (on surgery only). In other words, because I was so busy and exhausted from my surgery rotation, I did not use FA, NMS, CF or any other book. It was almost 8 months since I had IM and did not do great on that shelf. I read this book 4x and made sure I could squeeze out as much info as I could from it. I ended up getting 80% on the shelf. If you have more time, get this book and learn it well but supplement high yield parts that you are weak in with more sources. If you feel like you have no time or energy left to study after your 16 hour surgery days, using this book alone (and doing UW questions) will 100% guarantee that you pass and possibly honor the shelf.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK, Eighth Edition (First Aid USMLE)
First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK, Eighth Edition (First Aid USMLE)
by Vikas Bhushan
Price: $39.68
78 used & new from $25.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there something I don't get from these reviews?, January 23, 2013
Let me begin by saying I seriously struggled about getting this book. I LOVED (and loved to hate) FA Step 1.. FA + Goljan audio + UW for 4.5 weeks got me >230 after being a mediocre student for the first 2 years of medical school. I was 100% set on doing FA for Step 2 after I took step 1 but then all these reviews on Amazon and SDN scared me away so I started panicking and got Step Up to Medicine and got overwhelmed by it during my IM clerkship and then got MTB Step 2 and feel duped (too much obviously missing and I do not believe the reviews for it on Amazon anymore). I also bought Secrets to Step 2 and I really like that one but it's kind of hard to learn from initially but it's definitely a keeper.

Anyways, I ended up buying FA Step 2 CK and just started skimming it. I don't know why everyone keeps saying that it is lacking in information but then I remembered people used to say the same about FA Step 1. I'd constantly hear people saying that it NEEDS to be supplemented by RR or Pathoma or BRS or whatever. I ignored them and told myself if I could memorize every line in FA I will fill my little brain to maximum capacity for a single exam.

Now that I am looking at FA Step 2 CK, I feel like I can say the same... If I can memorize everything in this book + understand all answers of UW, I will feel confident about taking Step 2. Secrets for Step 2 will be my Goljan audio (mention interesting little high yield factoids). In summary, if you ignored the haters that told you FA Step 1 is not enough only to see for yourself that it was, then at the very least you owe it to yourself to give FA Step 2 CK a shot.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2013 7:56 PM PST

Master the Boards USMLE Step 2 CK, 2nd Edition
Master the Boards USMLE Step 2 CK, 2nd Edition
by Conrad Fischer
Price: $25.22
107 used & new from $14.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Dubious reviews!!, January 21, 2013
In 24 hours there have been 5 new 5 star reviews by people that have reviewed nothing else. This has made me really doubt this product and the integrity of Dr. Fischer. It looks easy to read on first glance but I noticed fairly quickly that there are a lot of things missing (like for starters, all of biostats). I just randomly wanted to look up DVT/PE prophylaxis in pregnancy (a common ob topic) to see if it would be different than non-pregnant (as in DO NOT USE WARFARIN)... and it does not make any mention of this. Bottom line, be vary careful in solely relying on this book and the reviews on amazon for it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2013 7:40 AM PDT

Deja Review Pharmacology, Second Edition
Deja Review Pharmacology, Second Edition
by Jessica A. Gleason
Price: $21.41
58 used & new from $13.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hoped, March 29, 2012
I am stuck on how to really learn the pharm for step 1 and thought this was going to be my answer. Maybe I had my hopes up too high but I am actually quite disappointed. Although some of the book has important points a lot of it is made up of fillers with the kind of random facts that about drugs that only a pretty bad lecturer in medical school would ask. This makes the book longer than it should be and harder to pick out what you need to know. I guess I will still try using it together with First Aid and only look at the ones that are covered by it but honestly you would not miss out at all if you don't buy it.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2012 (First Aid USMLE)
First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2012 (First Aid USMLE)
by Vikas Bhushan
95 used & new from $2.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Does this really need a review?, January 21, 2012
This is a new First Aid - why even read comments. Regardless of color (which is very nice I must say) and paper quality (which they cheapened... probably to afford the color), this is the new FA. If you will stick with an old version, you'll probably be okay although I found things in 2012 that are not in 2010. If you do not use FA at all, especially because of an Amazon review then you probably deserve the score you'll get.

Rapid Review Pathology Revised Reprint: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 3e
Rapid Review Pathology Revised Reprint: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 3e
by Edward F. Goljan
86 used & new from $12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Goljan = Success, January 17, 2012
I know that there are many competitors these days with RR but if the way you learn is by truly understanding the mechanisms and theory then this is your book (you know you are because once you learn something because it is taught well, you will understand it and won't easily forget it). If you are more the associations/mnemonics quick-fix with multiple repetition + doing tons of qbanks type of learner then you might have more success elsewhere.