Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed to work right out of the box, October 8, 2012
I purchased this webcam to replace an ethernet-cabled Foscam FI8918W, which had started failing inexplicably after 6 months of use. The FI8918W would stop responding to network traffic (HTTP,ICMP, etc) after an average of 4 hours online (although it's time before failure would vary between 10 minutes and 8 hours).

I tried everything I could think of to isolate the problem: performed a hard reset, changed IP address, switched power adapters, switched cat5 cables, changed the ethernet port it was plugged in to. I even cabled the webcam directly to my monitoring server (running Zoneminder) with a crossover cable. Nothing changed the rate of failure experienced by the FI8918W.

I went so far as to capture the network traffic travelling to and from the camera (via a mirrored switch port and wireshark). Nothing suspicious could be seen in the traffic patterns. One moment the camera is working, the next it was unresponsive.

Trying to return the camera directly to Foscam was a joke. They wanted me to get an RMA # via the vendor I bought it from, who wanted me to return it in the long-since-recycled original packaging.

I purchased the Foscam FI8918E in the vain hope that the FI8918W was just a lemon. However this new camera started exhibiting the EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR as soon as I had unboxed it. Both cameras are Foscam originals (not clones) with Foscam serial numbers printed on their undersides.

Foscam technical help (tech3@foscam.com) was equally unhelpful this time around. They suggested I "try another port on router" and "hard reset camera". Failing that, I was once again directed to "contact reseller for a RMA#". Thank god the camera failed within 30 days and that Amazon has such a liberal return policy, otherwise I would have been stuck with another useless hunk of plastic.

Foscam: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Never again.