Profile for Donno > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 78

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Donno "68 year old grad student" RSS Feed (Western Massachusetts)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Band of Iron
Band of Iron

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it..., December 19, 2014
This review is from: Band of Iron (Kindle Edition)
This is a well written historic romance with the emphasis on history. Many writers seem to think that two lovers constantly questioning and second guessing each other is drama. Geof evidently does not, and I think the story is better for it.

My only whine is his use for the use of 's when pluralizing family names, as in "the Woodville's" - it was a pet peeve of a high school English teacher, and I inherited it.

Fountain Of Sorrow (Live)
Fountain Of Sorrow (Live)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 28, 2014
One of my favorite live versions of Fountain of Sorrow, which is one of Browne's best songs.

SABRENT 2.5 to 3.5 Inches Internal Hard Disk Drive Mounting Kit (BK-HDDH)
SABRENT 2.5 to 3.5 Inches Internal Hard Disk Drive Mounting Kit (BK-HDDH)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $6.99
23 used & new from $6.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little SSD drive converter, July 24, 2014
The SSD drive bay converter works well and does not cost a fortune. I hate companies that make a necessary component for an emerging technology like this and then charge big bucks for it. Kudos to Sabrent for making a good product at a reasonable price.

Cigar Scissor with Rubber Grip
Cigar Scissor with Rubber Grip
Offered by HANK STAR
Price: $11.99
3 used & new from $8.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little cutter, but..., June 16, 2014
... I don't use it for cigars. My wife takes our dog and grandson out for strolls in the woods, and they sometimes stop and make little dioramas just off the trails. sometimes they use stones, and other times they use sticks. She uses the cutter to cut small sticks to the proper lengths for the current project. They cut cleanly and are not difficult to use, AND they fit right in her pocket.

Star One: Tycho City Survival
Star One: Tycho City Survival

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good story, April 22, 2014
The writing style is very stilted, proper grammar is used by everyone, and no one used any contractions. When writing a paper, this is a good idea, but when people are talking to each other, they don't talk as they write. For me, this was so annoying that I had to speed read the last third of the book so I could see how it came out.

Listening to the rocks: : a geologist's life with Mary Alice:
Listening to the rocks: : a geologist's life with Mary Alice:

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, March 30, 2014
While this is certainly not a professionally written autobiography, it is a pleasant to read memoir of John and his wife Mary Alice. I took a look at the free "Look inside" offering and before I got to the end, decided I would buy it. John obviously did a lot of digging into old records to establish his origins, as well as information about some of the people, events, and places that affected his life.

I normally do not enjoy chronological anecdote types of books, but John's style and wit made this book more readable than the genre would suggest. The book is also liberally illustrated, adding to the human interest. All in all, a charming book.

16-piece Precision Screwdriver Set Repair Tool Kit for iPad, iPhone, & Other Devices
Offered by Gadgetparts - USA
Price: $6.80
52 used & new from $2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price, March 7, 2014
The variety of drivers in this set is good, and they seem to be pretty well built. The plastic prying tools are not very sturdy, and I doubt if you could get more than 3 uses out of them. I snapped one corner off one of the "guitar pick" tools, and bent another. there are two pairs of tweezers that I did not use, but they are just stamped out of metal and not machined at all. I grabbed my sliver tweezers, and they worked much better. The blade holder would not tighten up enough to hold the pan blade in place.

I did manage to get my tablet disassembled and repaired, so I'm happy.

Wrangler Men's Rugged Wear Stretch Jean,Denim,34x32
Wrangler Men's Rugged Wear Stretch Jean,Denim,34x32
Price: $24.99
4 used & new from $24.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Mine were too small, too, February 23, 2014
These are supposedly 25% polyester and 75% cotton, but they are very stiff, don't feel stretchy at all, and the 34" waist on the pair I ordered were at least 2" too small. To get the regular stretch Wranglers, go to wal**** online.

Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel)
Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Novel)
Price: $2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good read, February 22, 2014
I found this to be an enjoyable read, and was entertained. Some of the writing and situations were a bit predictable, and I found my
self mentally rolling my eyes occasionally. I did like the story itself, and it was good to see the hero go through growth and healing as the story progressed. Finally, there were enough unexpected twists to keep me intrigued.

Sudoku Free
Sudoku Free
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use Sudoku, January 29, 2014
This review is from: Sudoku Free (App)
This free app has all of the features you need to play Sudoku. The only limitation is that there are only 300 each of the different difficulty levels. Fortunately, by the time I get through all 300, I can start at the beginning again because I have totally forgotten it by then.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8