Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Profile for John McGarey > Reviews

Browse

John McGarey's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John McGarey RSS Feed (Fort Worth, TX USA)

The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
Price: $4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Densely packed with good ideas, August 4, 2015
Some books are more densely packed with "aha" moments than others and this one is nice and dense. Three things that jumped out and grabbed me: the "thorn" metaphor (you can protect against the world disturbing it or you can just pull it out - but pulling it out is harder to do and we are not taught how!)". The chapter on the Tao te ching and the final chapter on the love of God being like the sun (you can hide for 100 years and then come out of hiding and it's just as strong as when you went in).

Thanks to Terri for the great recommendation!

Baby's First Words: The first book to help you talk to your infant  or toddler about what matters to them (Baby Talk and Read Series) (Volume 1)
Baby's First Words: The first book to help you talk to your infant or toddler about what matters to them (Baby Talk and Read Series) (Volume 1)
by Austin and Leigh
Price: $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I've seen this book in action and I'm really impressed., June 6, 2015
I've seen this book in action and I'm really impressed because it seems to allow the baby to actually SPEAK long before they would usually be able to (its not speech but it IS clear two way communication!), and the fun part is that it makes the baby a HUMAN so much quicker (I have some speculation about what that ends up meaning to the baby below). Here is some background about what is going on:

See babies are not as "helpless" and "underdeveloped" as we think, and they are prepared to speak long before they actually can speak with their mouths. For example: babies can actually RECOGNIZE lots of things at six months old, including ... WORDS (see "6 to 9 Month Olds Understand the Meaning of Human Words" for more information: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120213154057.htm) this book helps them to identify and recognize exactly what they want and need and care about, but perhaps more importantly it lets them TELL YOU! They are actually speaking these desires through the proxy of this new book!

This is in addition to the fact that the baby actually learns these concepts better and sooner when they apply a label to them (see "... How Babies Learn and Develop Language" for more information: http://www.slate.com/blogs/how_babies_work/2013/03/26/research_on_babies_and_pointing_reveals_the_action_s_importance.html).

Finally babies (just like the rest of us) love to make their opinion known, and with this book they can communicate their opinions and preferences to you much sooner than they would be able to otherwise (see "How Pointing Makes Babies Human" for more information: http://www.slate.com/blogs/how_babies_work/2013/03/26/research_on_babies_and_pointing_reveals_the_action_s_importance.html)

This book is utterly easy to use (so you and your baby can start using it as soon as you open it) and you are likely to find that your baby really LIKES the book a lot. Consider this: you know your baby WANTS to communicate with you, but is sometimes frustrated that when she cries you don't know what she really wants, so this book might even feel like an enormous relief for a baby who has trying to tell you something over and over and FINALLY thanks to this book she CAN!

My speculation is that this book will give many of the babies who use it a brain development advantage, letting them develop labels, and solidify concepts, and discern distinctions between concepts with more subtlety and nuance, and that it will let them do all of that sooner than their peers, but I don't have the hard facts to back that up (though I suspect you too think it makes some sense).

Regardless like I said I am really impressed and I think you will be too. Buy it and let your baby start "talking" to you!

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought through book on getting rid of your s***, March 12, 2015
The hardest part is deciding what to get rid of and that is what this book looks at in most detail. I was hoping for some words on how to get rid of it (giving it away, selling it, etc) but while it doesn't try to cover that specifically it covers everything else on the topic better than I expected and even makes a convincing argument for this process being important for overall well being. The book even mixes in a refreshing taste of eastern spirituality.

It makes a good case for one being able to do this all in one go and not dragging the process out for a long time, and in fact she says there is no other way. It was a powerful book.

How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "How to easily get your point across for the rest of your life." could have been the title of this book., February 14, 2015
I loved that the chapters were so clear and concise with a different header on each page. I loved that the writing was funny ("used to be a Pizza Hut" and "hey nice ia said no one ever" :) I appreciate that she took the time to optimize the words here because I know that can take a ton of time and thinking. ("I wanted to write you a shorter letter but I didn't have time" Mark Twain). I bet she chose to leave out the things that would have made things murkier. Well she nailed it because as it is this book is strong, tight, and sharp as a tack. No murk here. It is concise so it doesn't waste your time but it still has the best and most complete set of strategies for making sense of things, and I believe it could help anyone structure their presentations to make it understandable and to get their point across. Highly recommended.

The MIND Method
The MIND Method
Price: $14.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Neurofeedback is great but this book is not, February 13, 2015
This review is from: The MIND Method (Kindle Edition)
It was short and confusing and unclear, but the point is solid: use Neurofeedback and diet to solve tons of different kinds of problems. 25% of the book (by the numbers) is a description of the authors problems and how they met. The whole thing felt like a big advertisement for the mind institute. Actually no it felt like a long flyer you would be handed when you go to the MIND institute and ask what they do here.

Positives: it had a pretty good section on the parts of the brain and got you involved (which facilitates learning).
It makes a pretty strong case against the standard American diet and medication for the treatment of these problems.

Negatives: (huge) you can't LEARN a method from this book. It is called the MIND method but there is no meat here. It is a long well documented article and makes its point, but I am looking for books that teach me actionable processes ("methods") and this was not one. (To be fair the diet they propose could be taken to be a method and so those 4 pages might qualify for some people - not for me).

Anyway, Google "Neurofeedback In Miami" or wherever you are and go get a twenty session pack and it will change your life and rock your world.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A good price on a very valuable item., August 8, 2007
Looking for a way to get your dog the exercise he/she needs? - this is one of the best. There are other fancier designs for more dough with springs and leashes off to the side, but design one works well.

I've heard: "A tired dog is a happy dog" and that I've experienced first hand in the past. I've been very excited about getting this bike leash and my excitement was warranted - it's exactly what I needed. I can ride a lot further than I can walk, I don't get bored, I have more fun, I can coast down hills, and all while I'm exercising the dog - the dog gets a much better workout than I could ever give him on my own two feet.

It doesn't come with instructions which I found odd, but it is easy to slip the catch on the rear axle and velcro the bar to one of the crossbars of the bike - it doesn't require any modifications to the bike and I had mine on in about 10 minutes of thinking and 3-4 minutes of trying it out. I didn't even need any tools, just used the quick release on the rear wheel. I believe it would fit on any bike - but I'm no expert on bikes.

My dog is very strong, and is still a puppy. I have a mountain bike with thick tread tires, and he can pull left and right and not have any problems with falling over at all. I could feel the pull but it didn't cause any problems of balance or falling and it did not appear at any time to be dangerous to the dog.

It's worked out well for me, I hope it works out well for you too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2013 5:37 AM PST

Stick It to Ya
Stick It to Ya
Offered by Supply Chain Direct
Price: $3.96
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE BEST 80s Metal Band, June 13, 2002
This review is from: Stick It to Ya (Audio CD)
This has it all. Great musicians, vocals, and songs. This band is what every 80s metal band should have been. Metal perfection. I've had this since it came out and I always loved it because several of the songs 'up all night' 'fly to the angels' 'loaded gun' have a first class kinda catchiness. But every song shows off Slaughter's quality. This album can pull you out of any music funk.