Profile for K. Hutchinson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Hutchinson "Kate Hutchinson" RSS Feed (Massachusetts)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mind Reader All-in-One SodaStream Storage Tray, Black
Mind Reader All-in-One SodaStream Storage Tray, Black
Price: $14.99
10 used & new from $11.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Very functional, January 16, 2014
I bought this for my husband after having too many drying SodaStream bottles fall out of our dish rack. It's a nice organizer, and it's much, much better for drying the bottles, that's the best feature. It also has a nice spot to keep the caps while they're drying.

It hold 4 bottles of syrup, which is a good amount, we mostly only use two flavors (tonic and diet cola), so having all the syrup bottles on the counters is a better way to keep track of when we need to buy more. Having the extra overflow space for the soda maker itself is great, any extra that bubbles over doesn't spill over the counter.

I do wish it were a little more compact, either smaller edges, or reorienting the placement of the soda maker and syrup holders. It takes up more counter space than I thought it would, and it adds height to the soda maker, so make sure to measure if you keep yours under cabinets. It has great rubber grips on the bottom, which keeps it from sliding around.

Overall a good product, could use with a little tweaking.

Aosom Elite II Bike Cargo / Luggage Trailer w/ Removable Cover - Black /
Aosom Elite II Bike Cargo / Luggage Trailer w/ Removable Cover - Black /

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly functional for city use, some things to look out for, June 9, 2013
This bicycle cart was given to us for Christmas a two years ago, when we began thinking about replacing the Chariot cart (bought for $50 off craigslist). We use this cart on a weekly basis in warmer weather (about April to November, depending on snow--we live in Boston) for carting groceries primarily, but also to run other errands. It will carry a lot of weight, very reliably and has a pretty high capacity.

Pros:
Easy to assemble
Easy attach to bike; simple to put on and take off
Wheels are protected by outer bumpers

Cons:
Sides are made of fabric. If you don't position cargo properly, it will lean against the sides, and push it against the wheels which can cause tears in the fabric.
(Note: we used a single grommet on each wheel side, and tied a piece of thick string between them to pull the sides inward. For the tears, duct tape works great)
The tires it comes with are poorly made and not sturdy. We have replaced both of them after major blowouts. Inner rims are not properly coated to protect the inner tubes. We used duct tape to fix that, and bought sturdier tires made for a kid's road bike.

Overall, this is a good cart, it has transported furniture, groceries, and even taken a 25 lb cat in his carrier to the vet's office. If you live in the city, and don't own a car, but need to carry stuff around, this is a great investment.

Bose MIE2i 326223-0080 Mobile Headset for Select Apple Products (Black)
Bose MIE2i 326223-0080 Mobile Headset for Select Apple Products (Black)
9 used & new from $64.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, super functionality, May 15, 2013
When I got my first iPod, I bought a set of the Bose Tri-ports to listen to music with, and they were awesome. So, when I got an iPhone, I bought the mobile headset from Bose, because of the great quality of sound. The control switch/mic is especially useful; it can play/pause music, and the top and bottom buttons can skip forward and backward in a playlist. If you have an iPhone with Siri, you can hold down the main button to activate her, similar to holding down the Home button on the phone. For calls, the sounds quality is wonderful, although it's not great if you're outside in the wind; whoever you're talking to can hear the whooshing pretty loudly.

My one complaint is that the ear tips, which were amazing on the original phone, at some point were redesigned with the extra "Vulcan ear" addition. It's supposed to stabilize the tip in your upper ear (which would probably be a bonus for someone wearing them while jogging or such), but I find it uncomfortable. I had ear tips left over from my original set, and simply replaced the new ones with the old style.

I've recommended these to many people, and I often hear people complain about typical ear buds, that don't fit well in their ears, fall out, or are not comfortable. These are a far better fit than standard ear buds, because of the shape of the tips, and unlike typical headphones, they come with tips in three different sizes, so you can custom fit them to your ears.

One note on care (sorry if this is a TMI): I wear these all the time, and occasionally, there will be some wax that gets on the speaker ports, since it is inside my ear, after all. To clean them, I take off the rubber ear tips, and use a Qtip dipped in alcohol to gently rub the wax away. Don't get the alcohol inside the speaker, just brush the outside carefully.

Car Mount, iOttie Easy Flex 2 Windshield Dashboard Car/Desk Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7) /5s/5c/4s, Galaxy S4/S3, HTC One -Retail Packaging -Black
Price: $13.99
14 used & new from $10.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone holder ever, May 15, 2013
I drive an old car (with a tape deck) and bought a Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth headset to broadcast my iPhone over the radio. That worked great, but it meant stashing the phone on the passenger seat, making it hard to change playlists, etc. Enter the iOttie Easy Flex2. It's small, it grips like crazy, easy to install, and a dream to use. It sticks unbelievably to the pebbled and cracked dash, where I had tried some other sticking devices (such as 3M Command hooks) to no avail. I can flip it one way and another, so I can adjust it if the glare from the sun gets on the screen. It holds the phone completely steady, so I can tap out a text message at stop lights. I've also been able to use it to film road conditions to send to the city maintenance department (here in Boston we can report potholes to be filled).

I really wouldn't change a thing about this gadget. It's perfect.

Cole Haan Women's Violet Air Inf Pump,Dark Spruce Suede/Chestnut,8.5 B US
Cole Haan Women's Violet Air Inf Pump,Dark Spruce Suede/Chestnut,8.5 B US

5.0 out of 5 stars Super comfortable and stylish, December 27, 2012
I'm a huge fan of the Cole Haan Air line, and I was thrilled to find these online, on sale, in my size. The color is stunning, but really, these are probably the most comfortable heels I own. The heel itself is a little thicker than the Cole Haan Air Talia, so it's more stable, and the toe area is quite roomy for my wider feet. I do need more arch support than these provide, so I use Dr. Scholl's arch supports in them, but the fit is perfect and that's the only thing they don't have.

One quick note; the buckle on the front is a bit loose in construction and they jingle a little, but not any more so than say, the average bangle bracelet. Not recommended for sneaking up on people.

Chi 33514 Deep Brilliance Low EMF Hair Dryer, Orange
Chi 33514 Deep Brilliance Low EMF Hair Dryer, Orange
Offered by Deals For Beauty
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to store and use, and my hair looks great!, December 27, 2012
After years of sub-par Conair dryers from the drug store, I finally asked my hair stylist what she recommended, and she said that she'd personally had the same Chi dryer for over 15 years. I picked this model for the low EMF, but I love it for so many reasons.

First, it's a snap to clean. My last dryer was a magnet for loose powder, and the powder clogged it terribly, affecting performance. Getting my old one clean was a nightmare. This model features an easy twist off back, making it super easy to remove the filter, wash it, and put it back. The actual motor is protected with a plastic guard, and if there is any residue on it, I can give it a quick swab with a damp sponge and let it air dry.

Second, it's light. I have a lot of hair, which takes forever to dry, and my arms don't get tired holding this dryer up to get the whole back of my head.

Third, it has super airflow. I like that this model has low/high options for both heat and speed, meaning I can better control how it works on my hair. It also has a cool shot trigger (conveniently located on the front of the grip) to seal my blow dry when I'm done. It also features an anti-static mode, a must when dealing with fine hair.

I have not used the attachments tremendously, mostly due to not really having much experience with using these types of things.

I really like the loop at the base of the handle, where the cord starts; I use this to store it. It's a compact dryer, and I use a Scotch brand "Command" hook attached to the side of my sink vanity to hang the dryer. I have a very small bathroom, and being able to keep it stored neatly and out of the way is of great importance.

Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris
Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris
by David King
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding - A true story that baffles and horrifies., November 6, 2011
As a true crime aficionado and history buff, I can be very critical of books like these, but the subject grabbed my attention right away: World War II, serial killing, Paris--there was a lot of interest for me. And really, I was not disappointed.

There are many parts to the story, but in essence, it traces the activities of Dr. Petiot and his scheme to defraud people fleeing Nazi occupied Paris which led to several killings. What is admirable about David King's work is that he makes every effort to be an impartial narrator, unlike other true crime writers who insist of treating a series of true events as a novel, or, say, in the case of the prolific H. Schecter, writing in a style better suited to pulp fiction or dime novels. King works hard to chase down all the history he can, and qualifies each statement made if there is any doubt of its truth or authenticity. He presents every angle of Petiot's peculiar history: his behavior, his love life, his schooling, his family, and leaves enough room for the reader to judge Petiot's character.

The description of Petiot's crimes is left a bit shallow, which may disappoint those looking for sordid and grisly details, but I very much appreciated his sticking to the facts of the case from the police files and not speculating or over-reaching in his descriptions. True, it is a little maddening to know how much evidence was lost in the crime scene investigation techniques of the day, but otherwise, King is entirely appropriate in not adding imagined details.

While most crime narratives focus on just the crime, King takes the time to walk the reader through Nazi-occupied Paris, as well as the Parisian justice system to provide ample context for the story itself. Without such valuable insight into the time period, the reader might not understand the motives and actions of the French police and prosecutors at the trial. Additionally, King detours now and then to speak of some of the great intellectuals also present at the time, particularly Sartre and de Beauvoir, and weaves in the nature of their philosophy into the case, which dovetails neatly with the theories floated by the police about how Petiot operated and thought. In the end, King adds one minor speculations about Petiot's methods of killing, but only with evidence from other sources, and qualifying that it is only speculation.

This book is far more than a simple true crime story, but also a spellbinding narrative of life in Paris during WWII, and an insight into the people and the culture of the day, and how perceptions of Petiot's crime impacted the city as much as the crime itself.

Social Networking for Career Success: Using Online Tools to Create a Personal Brand
by Miriam Salpeter
41 used & new from $0.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for the Online Job Seeker, September 20, 2011
Miriam Salpeter has written a wonderfully clear, concise tome on getting ahead in the job search market using the Internet and social networking. I've known her as an online career coach for some time now, and I'm thrilled to see that she's put down her no-nonsense, easy-to-grasp philosophy into a simple paperback guide.

Unlike other coaches who write books, Salpeter's tone in instructive and friendly and never patronizing. It covers the basic tools of social networking, Twitter and Facebook, and explains how each one works, and how to leverage each for maximum results. Many social media guides are out there telling you to "just jump in and try it" but Salpeter's expertise lets you understand the functioning principles behind the tools and use each one to further your purpose, along with highlighting the pros and cons of each one.

The books expands on lesser known social networks that help you provide more content online to boost your visibility. Each section is clearly laid out and you can navigate the chapters easily, building on the lessons already covered.

If you are job searching, you need to be online. And if you're going to get online for your job search, you need to read this book.

UPDATE 6/10/2013:

In the past few years I've been part of a mentoring program, and I recommend this book to all the people I work with. So many of them have thanked me for sharing my copy, and most of them have gone out and bought their own copies. While some of the details of site functions have changed (since sites like Facebook and LinkedIn are forever changing), the concepts of how to present yourself are still rock solid. There are plenty of takeaways here in terms of presenting yourself offline as well as online.

SodaStream 1017512018 Genesis Home Soda Maker, Black and Silver
SodaStream 1017512018 Genesis Home Soda Maker, Black and Silver
Offered by Electronic Seed
Price: $73.89
17 used & new from $52.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use with great results, June 16, 2010
My husband and I drink a lot of seltzer, and we decided to go with this soda maker to save money and stop wasting so many plastic bottles. The machine itself is very very easy to assemble, and it fits neatly on our limited counter space.

We would have liked to order the red version we saw earlier, but it appears to be no longer available.

The bottles are a wonderful shape, with nicely labeled "fill" lines so you don't overfill and get water everywhere.

We are using a local shop to purchase refills for the gas tank and buy new soda flavors, we particularly like the root beer and gingerale.

Syberia
Syberia
Offered by AllDealz4U
Price: $14.89
28 used & new from $1.07

5.0 out of 5 stars An All-Time Favorite, January 8, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Syberia (CD-ROM)
I loved this game! I picked it up because it was recommended since I love the Myst games. I even enjoyed this more than Myst. The puzzles were challenging without being too frustrating, the graphics were great, and I loved the story line. Also, I liked having an avatar onscreen as opposed to being behind-the-screen in Myst.

This game has a sequel, which I also recommend, although this first game was better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4