Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Glenn R. Howes > Reviews

Browse

Glenn R. Howes' Profile

Customer Reviews: 659
Top Reviewer Ranking: 864

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glenn R. Howes RSS Feed (Nashua, NH)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OtterBox SYMMETRY SERIES FOLIO iPad Air 2 Case - Retail Packaging - COSTAL DUST (DARK GREY/BLUE)
Price: $43.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Finely Crafted iPad Case, February 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm more and more impressed with the ability of OtterBox to refine device cases. They obviously spend a huge amount of effort optimizing their case designs to be protective, but not heavy. To have the proper material for each surface or structure. So, in this case, we have an outer textile covering which is supposed to evoke blue jeans, for the version I received, but the material touching the screen is some sort of stiff micro-fiber, while the rim holding the iPad in place is some sort of rubberized plastic, and the shell itself is a nice stiff plastic. For all I know, it takes more manual labor to assemble this case than the iPad itself (well maybe).

Opening for ports and speakers are ample. The port for the Lightning cable is probably big enough for the ones I've seen on the market. The volume control buttons are reasonably loose, but not floppy. The mechanism for rotating into a portrait oriented stand is much better than other such designs I've seen (although I'm unlikely to use it). It can be put into its traditional landscape stand mode about has fast as your hands can move. The wide variety of display angles is appreciated. The outer fabric layer is cut in such away to keep completely clear of the camera opening. The awaken button is beautifully balanced in its firmness.

Installation is quick and painless, as is removing the device.

On the downside, the flap to keep it closed relies on magnets and the magnets are weak. And, I'm not thrilled with the fabric used on the outside—scratchy texture, and sort of ugly. And there are 2 Otterbox logos, sorry guys, but I'm only going to do so much free advertising for you.

In general, I could very will have given this 5 stars and I'll mull on it, but that weak closing flap is pretty obnoxious.

StarTech.com Rugged Hard Drive Enclosure, USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA 6 Gbps HDD or SSD, UASP, Military Rated, IP54, Tool-less Design (S251BRU33)
Price: $34.99
51 used & new from $34.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work Well With My Mac Mini, February 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was somewhat surprised that the cable that came with this enclosure wasn't one of those double corded ones that draw extra power from an adjacent USB port. It just comes with a standard USB 3 cable. OK, maybe it is able to ask a USB 3 port for more power, enough to power a 2½" drive, great. But when I grabbed a spinning HD and put in in the enclosure, instead of mounting, it just beeped. A USB ampmeter indicates it is drawing well less than 0.5A. An oldish SSD did work, but didn't keep mounted for long. I'm just concerned that it doesn't work well with my 2012 Mac Mini.

The case itself is OK, the rubber shock guard has 4 different ways to put it on, but only 1 of those gives a clear entrance to the USB port. It comes with a little bit of foam insert in case the installed drive isn't full height. I'm not a big fan of the transitional USB 3 port, and would have much preferred a USB C port on the enclosure.

Rhodium Plated Sterling Silver Two Tone Pear Shape Yellow Cubic Zirconia 9x6mm and White Cubic Zirconia Stud Earrings (3cttw)
Price: $15.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, Maybe Old-Fashioned, February 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are lovely earrings, and my wife would really like to love them, but they seem a bit on grandmother side of the design spectrum.

Construction is first rate. The little gems are well chosen. They are a standard comfortable straight pin design.

If you like the photo, you will like these earrings, they are just like in the photos.

Rhodium Plated Sterling Silver Cubic Zirconia Round-Cut Halo Stud Earrings (6.84 cttw)
Price: $24.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Beautiful Bling, February 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those times when I disagree with my wife about fashion. While she is sort of meh about these earrings, I think they are fantastic looking on her. Very sparkly, symmetrical, and well made.

While quite large, I've been told they feel comfortable.

My 8 year old daughter just got her ears pierced, and these will be a bit large for her. You have to be a full sized adult for these things.

The Seaweed Bath Co Balancing Eucalyptus and Peppermint Argan Shampoo
The Seaweed Bath Co Balancing Eucalyptus and Peppermint Argan Shampoo
Price: $12.89
9 used & new from $11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Shampoo, January 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I can't say this is superior to my traditional shampoos. It is extremely thick, like slow flowing jelly. To the point that the instructions to shake well before use doesn't make much sense. The peppermint oil gives it a strong, but not unpleasant odor and a brisk sensation, but it cleanly washes out. You do not go through the day smelling like a candy cane.

The cap is particularly hard to pop open with just one's fingernails. I end up having to scrape it over my shower door's top.

It works well enough, my hair is in good balance and combs as expected. If you think it will be interesting to bath with seaweed extract, go ahead.

Cuisinart CBT-2000 3.5 Peak Hurricane Pro Blender, Gun Metal
Cuisinart CBT-2000 3.5 Peak Hurricane Pro Blender, Gun Metal
Price: $329.99
17 used & new from $329.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Satisfying Premium Blender, January 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
According to Wikipedia, the first "car" Henry Ford ever sold generated 4 horsepower, so I'd think 3.5 horse power would be enough to get you down the road. It does seem excessive, though, for making a smoothie. But excessive is better than deficient.

In my kitchen, I'm comparing this to my cheapish Oster 6 cup model which cost at most $60 10 years ago. My old blender worked quite well for what my family is likely to do: blend smoothies and make crushed iced lemonade. However, it is a pain to take apart for cleaning and somebody in the family was always putting the jar back together with the washer in the wrong place. This Cuisinart is an 8 cupper, and the extra capacity is welcome if you are blending something more substantial, eg. soup.

After many years of use, I had to replace the Oster's jar, which turned out to be a standard part that could be used with many models, and cost $16 here on Amazon. By contrast, the "pitcher" in the Cuisinart appears to be not widely available and costs $75, more than the whole Oster by itself.

Just because you have oodles of power doesn't mean you can fill it with ice cubes and have it turn into ice chips. At some point you'll have to gradually feed the blades.

The lid is a bit hard to get off the pitcher. But other than that the pitcher is quite nice, easy to grab, clearly labeled, with a well made blade assembly. It nestles quickly into its spot and pops off just as easily. The controls are easily pushed; unlike my older blender where the buttons are hard, small and wobbly. I'm happy to follow the cleaning advice of just putting a cup of soapy water into the pitcher and hit the clean button. My son filled the pitcher with soapy water and the result was apparently some sort of geyser that put soap into my toaster.

Power usage when not in use is negligible; my energy meter gives it at less than half a Watt, which could be next to nothing. For safety's sake there is a main power switch around the back. The turbo button is a lot of fun. The included recipe book is the best such volume I've seen included with an appliance; plenty of things to make and lovely images.

In summary, it might be overkill, but I like it.

Black & Decker BDCD120VA 20V Lithium Drill/Driver Project Kit
Black & Decker BDCD120VA 20V Lithium Drill/Driver Project Kit
Price: $115.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Enough for Little Jobs, January 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is not a pro tool. It's a fine consumer, keep it in a drawer, tool, but it is missing some features and build quality to be a tool. My go to drill is a 20V Max DeWalt which is quite a bit better than this 20V Max Black & Decker. While my DeWalt has an all metal chuck that can be tightened pretty easily with one hand, it has 3 levels of torque, and a larger maximum torque, in addition to having a hammer drill setting. The B&D is also missing an LED light to illuminate what your working on. And it comes with a half-size battery.

On the other hand, the B&D is much lighter, which is an important characteristic. If you are going to be drilling holes all day, your arms will feel like falling off when using a heavy drill. A half size battery can be just what you want if you aren't going to be using the charge anyway. I will be very happy to keep this package in the kitchen for quick fix-it projects. One of the great things about lithium ion batteries is they keep a charge all year.

The drill is comfortable and has a decent balance. For whatever reason I cannot twist it into it's maximum labeled torque setting.

The charger is minimalistic, using much less space than other chargers.

As for the accessories, it is a mixed bag. Anything made out of plastic: the tape measure, the torpedo level, and the utility knife are pretty junky but work. The tape measure has awkward locking. The included bits seem reasonably well made, although the quick change bit could use a stronger magnet as it doesn't do a good job of holding bits. Also, I don't much see the point of including flat screwdriver bits, as I've never mastered using a power screwdriver to drive flat heads, I'd much prefer a few star bits—I like deck screws with star heads.

The case is floppy fabric and is not protective in any way.

OtterBox Symmetry Series iPhone 5/5s Case - Scarlet Crystal
OtterBox Symmetry Series iPhone 5/5s Case - Scarlet Crystal
Offered by HPP Enterprises
Price: $37.13
4 used & new from $30.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Refined Protection, January 15, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm giving this iPhone 5s case 5 stars because it does such a nice job of being maximally protective in the minimum bulk needed for that protection, and its obvious build and materials quality. It still has a few issues that descend from it being a protective. The sleep/wake button cover is a bit on the stiff side. The ridge around the screen is just a bit too raised; I had trouble selecting text near the left edge with my left hand and had to switch to my right hand because of the obstructing ridge. Like pretty much every case ever made, you have to remove the phone to use a dock. Despite, the 'Easy On/Off' claim on the packaging, it is noticeably less easy to remove than, the admittedly less protective, Belkin case this is replacing.

All those nits out of the way. This is a high quality case. Stylish. And if you are one to promote your choice of phones, very good at showing off the back without risk scratching its valuable back. I used the back window as an opportunity to place a label with my email address to maximize the chance of getting back a lost, locked phone [Update: I then tried taping in a photo/screenshot there, which works OK.]. The camera area is well clear and there should be no shadows or other visual anomalies introduced by the case. There is ample space for any reasonably sized mini audio jack for your head phones. There are 30 speaker holes on the bottom edge of my phone and all are exposed, just. I can dig in to access the lock switch with my, smallish adult finger tip. The volume buttons are not stiff, in contrast to the wake button. The advertisement for Otterbox on the side of the case is unwelcome but minimal.

There is no included screen protector, but I tend to think that Apple's glass is hard enough these days to risk going sans protection. I would not say this for the iPhone 5, which I scratched up quite a bit. If you still have one of those, you might want to get a protector. But if you do that, leave it in the case all the time, as popping a phone out of the case has a tendency to peel any screen protector off and ruin it.

If you need to protect your iPhone 5 or 5s, than this will certainly do the job.

Ball Park Flame Grilled Beef Jerky, Barbecue, 2.85 Ounce
Ball Park Flame Grilled Beef Jerky, Barbecue, 2.85 Ounce
Price: $4.49
2 used & new from $4.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's only in the last few years that I've gotten interested in eating jerky. So, I've sampled my fair share of checkout stand packages.

Unfortunately, I don't care for this variety. It's on the dry side. The meat tends to fall apart. The taste is not uniform and ranges from bland to a little too spicy, to sort of burnt. Part of this might be a preference on my part for beef jerky.

I'm a bit disappointed, as Ball Park makes some of the best, perhaps the best hot dogs, but I guess that doesn't mean they know how to do jerky.

Lipton Green Tea, Pure 20 ct
Lipton Green Tea, Pure 20 ct
Offered by Classic. Simple. Good.
Price: $8.99
7 used & new from $3.26

2.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awful, January 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is without a doubt, the worst green tea I have ever tasted. It smells and tastes like topical antiseptic and I think it is making my tongue numb.

I've gone running back to Twinings.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20