Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Glenn R. Howes > Reviews

Browse

Glenn R. Howes' Profile

Customer Reviews: 702

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glenn R. Howes RSS Feed (Nashua, NH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Black & Decker 20v Cordless Glue Gun System
Black & Decker 20v Cordless Glue Gun System
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Satisfying Tool, June 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've owned an inexpensive corded yellow-handled hot glue gun for many years. The integrated stand broke off, it's easy to burn yourself, the cord is often too short and it's hard to manuever with the cord being so much heavier than the gun itself. I like the concept of hot glue, but the hardware and frizzle bits of thread that come up with it leave a lot to be desired.

Now, comes this cordless model from Black & Decker, and I am extremely impressed. Yes, they probably went into it looking for whatever would work with their 20V batteries, but the resulting product is ridiculously better than my previous glue gun.

You might think warm up times might be better for corded, but they seem about the same, at about 90 seconds. And this unit has a convenient power light to let you know it's on.

Once hot, dispensing could hardly be easier using the two finger trigger, and with the lack of a cord, deftly maneuverable. Only the last centimeter or so is dangerously hot. There is a convenient insulated grip behind the tip so two handed operation is possible.

The included glue sets extremely fast so once you put the glue on, be careful to get your pieces aligned right as you won't get a second chance. It seems as though the formulation they've provided is less prone to annoying and messy strands of glue hair. Also, it is quite strong. And it doesn't tend to drip.

One of my favorite features is how firmly it stands on a tabletop using its battery and grip as a stand. Little danger of tip over.

Manufacturing quality is first rate with a refined grip and high quality plastics (and a bit of metal). The battery loading mechanism is somewhat flimsy and takes some pressing to get in place.

And, I now have an extra battery for my B&D cordless drill.

I highly recommend this product as a tool every household will find useful.

CATALYST Full Motion Tilt-Swivel TV Wall Mount for 26"-42" Flat Screen TVs with 6' HDMI Cable, Cable Ties and Leveler
Price: $27.99
7 used & new from $22.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavyweight Monitor Extender, June 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First of all, read and believe the instructions. It's probably very bad to put machine screws too far into the interior of your monitor/TV. Use the provided spacers. In my case, I managed to shove the ports forward with the included screws. So also don't use an electric screwdriver. Do it the old fashioned way.

Second, don't expect this to work vertically. The hinge is designed to lightly hold your monitor as it swings from right to left, not up and down. In my case, I had had an idea that if I put a light enough, small enough monitor on this bracket, it would work horizontally in an area of my house I've setup for photography video. No such luck, but I was able, at least to hang my monitor from the wall lower than it otherwise would. So, in the end it sort of worked for me, and I'm no longer in danger of yanking my monitor off the shelf it was on.

Everything is heavyweight and sturdy including the included HDMI cable. Plenty of extra bolts are provided for every variety of ISO mountable monitor you are likely to own. So, as long as you don't expect this to extend more than a couple feet from your wall, this will probably work for you.

KitchenAid KKFTR6CHOB Classic Forged Series Triple Rivet Chef Knife, Onyx Black, 6"
Price: $14.99
5 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Smallish Chef's Knife, June 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this knife quite a lot. It's comfortable, well balanced, and smoothly sealed against food getting into the handle seams. It isn't the sharpest blade I've ever wielded but adequate.

On the other hand, I think a chef's knife should be capable of doing most tasks. It should be the go to knife. And, this knife is just a bit too light for everything; it's like an overgrown paring knife. I have a larger professional kitchen style knife with a sealed plastic handle that I feel can do most anything that I wouldn't use a paring or bread knife for, and that is my ideal for what a chef's knife should be.

However, if you do a lot of fine cutting jobs and need a moderately sized knife most of the time, then this would be a fine one to get. I'm certain it'll get a workout in my kitchen too.

StarTech.com 2-Feet Lightning to USB Cable Coiled 0.6m, White (USBCLT60CMW)
StarTech.com 2-Feet Lightning to USB Cable Coiled 0.6m, White (USBCLT60CMW)
Price: $22.99
46 used & new from $16.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Made Niche Cable, June 19, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was concerned that the coil design of this Lightning cable would give it more impedance than a traditional design. But, my USB amp meter indicates it passes about the same current as a standard Apple cable. It worked with both my iPhone 5S and an iPad Air 2. So, it's pretty much a plain, certified charging cable.

As for its special feature of being a springy coil, I'm not sure who will find that useful. Coiling it reduces its useful length for the same amount of wire, so I'd say it doesn't make for a better desktop charging cable. Maybe for the case where you have a battery or other Lightning device in your pocket and need to actively pull out your phone and not get tangled by the cord. So it will self retract a bit.

Anyway, this is not for everyone, but should be useful to the special needs of the few.

Orbit 83521 Clear Comfort Programmable Thermostat with Large, Easy-to-Read Display
Price: $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good, June 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It isn't exactly the best time of year to review a thermostat in the house—being summer and my lacking whole house air conditioning—but I will say this is a stylish looking thermostat that is comparatively easy to install.

Unlike other thermostats I've installed, this one is missing a built in level, so I had to use my own torpedo level to make sure it was properly lined up on my wall. Also, the hole through which the building wires pass is in a different location that my preceding thermostats so I had to put yet another set of dry wall anchors in my house; I will have to do some patching to repair my collection of yellow anchors. It came pre-wired for my, very standard setup, so it was just a matter of putting my W and R wires in the appropriate connector and tightening. If you have a more elaborate setup, like a whole-house fan, you will have to set a jumper.

There are large buttons and it is intuitive enough to set the time/day of week. And it comes pre-programmed for Energy-Star heating/cooling schedules.

All in all a nice enough thermostat, although I would look into more automated systems that can be controlled by your smart phone, but which might be more complicated to wire.

Wrangler Men's Authentic Short Sleeve Canvas Shirt, Goblin Blue, Medium
Wrangler Men's Authentic Short Sleeve Canvas Shirt, Goblin Blue, Medium
Price: $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Look, June 9, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm actually quite pleased with this shirt. It has a classic, masculine look, a pleasant color and is well made. My wife likes it.

However, the medium sized one I received binds a bit in the armpits and the Velcro is a bit loud. Now, I understand the utility of the Velcro keeping the pocket flaps flat. I've had many shirts with a sloppy appearance because the pocket flaps would curl at the corners. All I'm saying is it's loud. The pocket itself is tall enough for an iPhone 5 to fit with the flap closed, but a bigger phone won't fit.

Hefty Ultra Strong Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags (Scent Free, 13-Gallon Bags, 80-Count Box)
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hi-Tech Alternative, June 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sometimes hi-tech appears in the most mundane of places. Hefty and Arm & Hammer plaster the box for these trash bags with a lot of fancy claims about patents and refinements, and you can quickly see that these are thoughtfully designed and well engineered refuse bags. My family doesn't go through a lot of trash bags, we like to reuse plastic shopping bags instead of buying virgin bags; but we do purchase some occasionally. And these Hefty bags are the best I've seen. They are strong, easy to grasp, easy to cinch, and have little in the way of intrinsic odor. They are sort of padded so that it doesn't hurt when they bounce off you taking an overly filled bag to the trash bin; I put a heavy, wet watermelon shell and some other garbage into one and it handled it without drama.

Just an excellent bag.

Nikon D3300 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with Auto Focus-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Zoom Lens (Red)
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: $546.95
25 used & new from $394.73

5.0 out of 5 stars I Learned So Much From This Camera, June 4, 2016
I remember back in 1997 when we had a digital camera in the lab where my then company was generating karyotyping images. Batteries lasted about 10 minutes, and the images couldn't compete with film. Now, nearly 20 years later, we have advanced to the point where this affordable DSLR allows hacks like me to quickly learn how to take amazing photos with accurate colors, proper focusing, and basically tell me what I should do to get a pleasing photo.

I should say, that I immediately replaced the kit lens (which I'm sure is fine) with the awesome NIKKOR 35mm 1.8 lens, so a lot of the reason I've been getting such good photos is that I've been using good glass.

And I should say that I was amazed at how much I learned about using this camera, and photography in general just by watching tutorials on YouTube about this particular camera. Combined with useful on-screen graphics and clear display of settings, it was quick to learn how to set settings like the ISO while using a fixed aperture or what the various auto-focus settings do. This is a great teaching camera.

I don't understand why there isn't a standard peg hole next to the tripod threaded hole on the bottom. It'd make it easier to fix this firmly to my tripod. That and the chintzy polycarbonate material this things shell is made of are my only complaints. I am just in awe of the value of this camera. Competition with cell-phone cameras has made Nikon put out a great product for the money.

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
Price: $196.95
73 used & new from $155.00

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good As Everyone Says, June 4, 2016
I took the online community's advice and purchase this beautiful value lens and could not be happier with the results. As long as you can zoom with your feet, this generates great artistic shots without even trying and has taught me a lot about the value of aperture control in photography. The kit lens that came with my DX-3300 has gotten very lonely on a shelf as this is what I use almost all the time.

AmazonBasics Composite AV Cable for Apple iPhone 4/iPad 3rd Gen/iPod - 6.5-Feet (2 Meters)
Price: $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Durable Enough for Use in a Car, June 4, 2016
I setup my car to have RCA jacks for audio input into my stereo. (Many years ago, I bought an adaptor that fools my OEM Honda stereo into thinking it has a CD disk changer in the back). So, I need an iPhone to RCA adaptor and this is the 4th one I've purchased, as they all eventually wear out after a few years of being beaten up inside my car. So, I've had the expensive Apple cable and a couple of cheaper Chinese imports (honestly, these all come from China anyway), and now this AmazonBasics. This one seems well made and will, hopefully last me for the remainder of my car stereo's lifetime.

I don't use the yellow output, just the red and white audio connectors, and for the last several years, since the iPhone 5 came out, I've been using an Apple 30-pin to Lighting port adaptor, which speaking to Apple's choice of moving to Lightning shows no sign of wearing out and contains the hardware to do the digital to analog conversion needed. I power this whole rig with a Belkin 2.2A car USB charger. So, it's been a good setup for listening to my podcasts as I drive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20