Profile for Glenn R. Howes > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 353

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glenn R. Howes RSS Feed (Nashua, NH)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Cole Haan Men's Grant LTE Penny Loafer, Grey Suede/Grey, 10 M US
Cole Haan Men's Grant LTE Penny Loafer, Grey Suede/Grey, 10 M US
Price: $108.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comfortable Driving Shoe, December 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before I received this shoe, I was unaware of driving shoes, so this is my first driving show, with a reinforced sole that extends up around the rear of the heal to keep the shoe from the extra wear of scraping while being placed against the accelerator/brake/clutch pedals. It makes perfect sense, especially for the relatively thin soles of a loafer. It's a good idea for those of us who do more driving than walking (unfortunately) and is well executed.

I have not been a loafer wearer, preferring the security of laces, but I have been surprised at how well these shoes stay on my feet. I would normally wear a 9˝ M, but these 10 M loafers fit quite well over socks. I have noticed a bit of a tendency to twist my ankle a bit when I catch the edge of the sole, but that is something that always seems to happen to me while wearing loafers, and has not caused injury and maybe I'll just get used to walking in these. Even though these are new, I have not had any discomfort you'd normally get from breaking in shoes.

My kids sprayed me with shower water at the gym the other day, but the suede does not show any spotting, thank goodness.

Construction is very good. The stitching is perfect. So, in general, if you need a driving shoe, these will serve you well.

PlayStation Silver Wired Stereo Headset
PlayStation Silver Wired Stereo Headset
Price: $49.99
33 used & new from $44.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Well Made But Maybe a Bit Tight, December 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My head is a bit on the large size, it's hard finding a fitted 7⅝ or larger baseball cap, so I am a bit stressed by these headphones, which are a bit hard on my head and pinch my glasses. However, it is not horrible, and my son basically wore them for half a day without distress and declared them quite comfortable, even going so far as to try them as earmuffs. Plus, they are a bit adjustable: just pull the cans downward to make them a bit farther apart.

This is a two component system. The headphones themselves and a USB adaptor. The USB adaptor can be plugged into any modern computer and it should work fine in stereo. I have it plugged right into my Mac right now and the system just detected it as a generic USB audio device. (Not that you'll get Sony's fancy 7.1 emulation this way). And the adaptor also works with any standard set of headphones; I have a nice set of Sony cans that are my daily desk headphones which work with the adaptor too. In fact, I'm happy to now use the adaptor all the time instead of my Mac's built in output, as Go-To-Meeting hadn't been giving me a volume control. The USB adaptor gives me volume up and down buttons. For some reason, the microphone is not working although it's showing up in the control panel.

The headphones are nicely constructed except the microphone which looks toylike. Stereo sound is more than adequate. My standard technique for checking out headphones is to listen to a Mastered for iTunes track with lots of dynamic range—Mars the Bringer of War by the London Philharmonic—and see if I can hear anything wrong. But it seems as transparent as my regular cans, so I'm happy with the sound. Sony knows sound and my favorite headphones have usually been Sonys.

The headphones have a very short cord when apart from the USB adaptor. This makes them particularly nice for plugging into a portable device; my son spent too much time yesterday doing just that on my iPhone playing Micromon, and we've also tried them on an iPad. Fun fact, the TRS connector universally used by headphones is probably the oldest electrical connector still in widespread use, having been introduced in 1878.

Anyway, my son would like you to know he loves these headphones, and I think them well made but perhaps a little tight for glasses wearers or those with really big craniums.

OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains
OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nicely Made Niche Product, December 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tend to think this product is not for everyone. As mammals, we may all have hair, but many of don't have enough, long enough or lose enough to warrant this product. As it is, I clean out my bathtub drain with a drain cleaning wand every six months or so, so I have to balance 5 minutes of work every 6 months versus the extra effort taken every bath time. So, for me, it isn't a good tradeoff. If I had a long haired dog, or was myself long haired, the calculus would change.

Use is dead simple, drop it over the drain. Drain the tub or shower, and remove any hairs afterward. Construction is standard OXO.

StyleModel T-Shirt Designer Kit
StyleModel T-Shirt Designer Kit
Offered by Jacinabox Toys UK
Price: $19.81
4 used & new from $19.51

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Want Creativity, Put It In, December 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My ever crafty 7 year old daughter took this and ran with it. Because, the kit includes stickers and stencils, it would be easy to end up with something uncreative, a jumble of clipart, and my daughter did a little of that. But, she also did some very imaginative or personal things. Like taking the skull stencil and giving it heart eyes and a little hair bow. Or freehand drawing a favorite Pokemon, Dearllng, or integrating a horse head sticker into a larger design.

I'm a bit sorry they don't include any means to make at least doll sized versions of the designs. I'm a proud poppa and I could have seen wanting to make something wearable.

I think they hit a sweet spot when it comes to providing quality materials and inspiration but still allowing creative expression.

Maidenform Sleek Smoothers WYOB Bodybriefer Shapewear, Black, Small
Maidenform Sleek Smoothers WYOB Bodybriefer Shapewear, Black, Small
Price: $18.66
7 used & new from $16.38

4.0 out of 5 stars For a Pleasant Smoothness, December 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm proud of my beautiful wife. She's had our two children and worked hard at getting back to firm. Still, sometimes a little help helps. She's tried out this shapewear and it does indeed smooth things over and give a nice base for a covering dress. All while being comfortable. It seems as if the major benefit is giving a perfectly smooth surface, and not any massive shifting of mass. This isn't a corset.

Seems nicely constructed out of a sturdy, stretchy material.

Bosu Balance Trainer, Pink
Bosu Balance Trainer, Pink
Price: $109.99
3 used & new from $101.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done Exercise Dome. DVDs Could use a Refreshing, December 12, 2014
This review is from: Bosu Balance Trainer (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been impressed with this seemingly simple exercise dome. Not that I'm a trainer or even a dedicated exerciser, but I can tell the difference between a gimmick and a thoughtfully crafted piece of useful hardware. This is really a two-piece system, the dome itself and a series of exercises aimed at using the dome to have more effective, full body workouts centered around strengthening one's balance. Plus it can be fun. My kids have taken to using it both for serious exercise and also something to hop on while watching TV.

Some observations. The enclosed DVDs do not work reliably with my reasonably new Sony Blu-Ray player. They were apparently mastered in 2002, so maybe that is an issue. I was able to play most of the content, but it was aggravating getting it to work. Luckily, you can just search YouTube for "Bosu" and find a wider collection of workouts aimed at this ball.

If you have a reasonably short ceiling you may have a problem, the 9+ inches of the dome, plus my height with arms outstreched resulted in me occasionally and painfully scraping my fingertips against the rough plaster of my ceiling. You may want to find this out beforehand.

All in all, a worthy addition to a home gym.

Seattle Chocolates Gift Bag, Assorted, 1 Pound
Seattle Chocolates Gift Bag, Assorted, 1 Pound
Offered by Made In Washington Stores
Price: $24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Good, Some Not, December 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Some of this mix is quite good. I'm particularly liking the Sea Salt, but as a whole, I can't say it's great chocolate. It's OK, but not as enticing as Swiss chocolate. My wife likes the Espresso flavored ones, but says pass on everything else. Both of us agree that Strawberry Cream is probably the worst of the lot.

And while a mild quibble, it's hard figuring out which candy is which. The labels are often hard to read, and the colors muddle together.

Stiga Flow Table Tennis Racket, Black/White
Stiga Flow Table Tennis Racket, Black/White
Price: $17.07
12 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Rec Center Paddle, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm going to accept the manufacturer's description of what this paddle is for: being a durable paddle you can beat on. It is not a paddle for high end competitions, but if it gets left outside all winter, it will probably be OK, with its plastic insides and rubberized outsides. The head is on the small size, and the handle is a bit too grippy for my liking. But I'm not a great ping pong player anyway, so it isn't as though it is making my game worse.

Because of the hollow nature of the head, it will occasionally make a small whistling sound, but not enough that you'd think it was designed to make noise.

If I were stocking a Boys & Girls Club with ping pong paddles, this might be the one I'd choose.

The Hillman Group 59467 4-40 x 3/4-Inch - Nylon Binder Head Machine Screw, 40-Pack
Price: $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Quality Machine Screw, December 8, 2014
I bought these to secure the heat sink in a Mac Mini I was refurbishing (thus the need for non-conducting nylon). They seem quite sturdy (for nylon) and survived being tightened with a screw driver using a corresponding nylon nut.

George Foreman GRP4842R 2-in-1 Evolve Grill, Red
George Foreman GRP4842R 2-in-1 Evolve Grill, Red
Price: $100.24
4 used & new from $100.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Expect the Best Waffles, December 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have 2 other waffle makers. These are dedicated waffle makers; one makes thin and crispy, the other Belgian waffles, and either will make a better waffle than this hybrid.
When the waffle plates are installed in this grill, the resulting waffles do not cook uniformly. The outside edges are barely cooked while the insides are nicely golden brown, or the outside is nice and the inside is overcooked.

As for other functions, one of the big advantages over my other George Foreman grills are a temperature display. So I can set it all the way to 425°. It does a nice job grilling burgers. I find that setting the temp all the way up I can cook bacon for 3 minutes on one side, flip it and cook it for 2 minutes on the other side and get good results. On the other hand, I cannot figure out how to set the temperature after I've initially set it (other than by turning it off and then on again), as once you start using the arrow buttons for the timer, they continue to only control the timer; pressing the Temperature/Timer button does not appear to toggle which feature the arrow buttons control.

Cleaning with a damp paper towel and a set of tongs while still hot gives a good clean, at least for the ceramic plates.

All in all, a nice grill and a lousy waffle iron.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20