Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Profile for Ian Ellis > Reviews

Browse

Ian Ellis' Profile

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ian Ellis "Ian" RSS Feed (Hampshire. UK)

Page: 1 | 2
In The Garden of Stones
In The Garden of Stones

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to categorise, Hard to put down, May 3, 2014
In The Garden of Stones manages to combine a love story, a method of treatment for depression that becomes paranormal, and a critique of the care and attitudes government and society has towards serving and ex-service men and women who suffer PTSD. So putting it in a category is quite hard.

However, it is not hard to say how well the author deals with each. The development of the characters and their relationship is well-paced, and once you get used to the Scottish dialect of the male lead, the dialogue is highly entertaining. There are a few words I had to ask my (Scottish) wife to explain, but if you don't have one of those to hand, then Google will be sure to assist. The setting is also unusual, but it works. After a while you stop questioning how she got to The Garden, and believe it really exists.

And I think readers from any country will relate to the story of the wounded soldier.

All in all, a very good read.

Together Apart
Together Apart

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for men and women, April 23, 2014
This review is from: Together Apart (Kindle Edition)
When Adam asks his girlfriend a particular question, the response he gets is not the one he was expecting. Why Sarah reacted the way she did is a mystery to him, but is hinted at through the excerpts from Sarah's diary, which are interwoven with the story told from Adam's point of view. Natalie Martin expertly uses Sarah's diary to give us her internal thoughts from the present, as well as her past, so by the end we can sympathise and understand her behaviour.

Any men who may be put off because this is labelled 'Romance', don't be. Chick Lit this ain't, and it should be enjoyed by either sex. I encourage you all to read it.

Pooh Bridge
Pooh Bridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Three for One, November 12, 2013
This review is from: Pooh Bridge (Kindle Edition)
There are three elements to this book: a thriller, a love story and the emotions of a man dealing with the death of his wife and one true love at an early age. For me, this was the both the best part of the story, and also the hardest to read; as it is written in the first person, you can feel the pain of the main character as he deals with his grief. The thriller kept me wanting to read more, and I was glad I did. The author does a good job of bringing everything together at the end, and I would say this is well worth the read.

Bear
Bear

4.0 out of 5 stars George Polley does it again, August 25, 2013
This review is from: Bear (Kindle Edition)
Having already read one of George Polley's books, The Old Man and the Monkey, I was looking forward to this one. And I was not disappointed. Mr Polley has the ability to write stories for children that are gentle yet engaging, subtle yet clear with the messages he is giving - mainly tolerance.

I would encourage any parent of small children to put this on their bedtime reading list.

I've Been Deader
I've Been Deader

4.0 out of 5 stars A blend of comedy and horror, August 3, 2013
This review is from: I've Been Deader (Kindle Edition)
I've never understood the whole idea of a zombie apocalypse, and apart from 'Shaun of the Dead', I have not, as far as I can remember, seen a zombie film.

But, if you are at all like me, then put aside your lack of understanding, aversion or general apathy regarding the genre, and take a look at 'I've Been Deader'. You might not become a convert, but you will have a good time reading it, and be surprised at how being a zombie doesn't necessarily make you the bad guy

A Life on the Toilet: Memoirs of a Bowel Cancer Survivor (true cancer stories & support books)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a Journey, January 13, 2013
This book takes you through every high and low of the author's battle with cancer. From long before she is even aware that she has it, through the treatment and operation, she carries us along with her, through every embarrassing, cringe worthy, sad, amusing, gut-wrenching and heart-warming event.

As someone who has a family history of cancer, this was an interesting read, that gave me more insight into the disease and its treatment than I have gained form any friend or family member.

Thank you Kat for sharing.

The diary of a single parent abroad
The diary of a single parent abroad
Price: $4.50

4.0 out of 5 stars The diary of a brave woman, July 13, 2012
As someone who has tried to move to another country, but didn't last a full year, I found this diary fascinating. I am really impressed at the author's determination to succeed while having to deal with little money and a manipulative ex-husband. This was a great read, with only one downside - a need to know how things are going now, both with the farm and the ex. Can't wait for part two...

The Vanishing Cyclist
The Vanishing Cyclist
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific Read, May 12, 2012
This is a remarkable book. Well-paced, great character development, and a story that ensures you keep turning the page.

Chris Parker has a writing style that is superior to many a professional author I have read. I hope he has more to offer.

Saving Nathaniel
Saving Nathaniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Saving Nathaniel (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this. Sure, there were times when I just wanted to give the two main characters a good slap and tell them to stop being so childish, but that just shows how emotionally attached I became - which is unusual for me.

What I found impressive with the book was that in the first half not much is going on in their lives - she keeps his house, he tries to make money. However, the author keeps our interest by drip-feeding information about their pasts that holds our attention and ensures we turn each page. That doesn't mean that this is a slow start, or a dull beginning. It isn't by any means. What it shows is the author's skill in developing an emotional plot against a not-so-happy, humdrum home life that also develops throughout.

Highly recommended

Taylor Takes Charge
Taylor Takes Charge

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jolly Good Read, December 5, 2011
Thank you, Charles Utley, for producing one of the best books I have read in recent times. Whilst aimed at children, it brought back so many memories of my childhood. Not that I went to a prep school, but I loved reading Jennings when I was growing up, and this really reminded me of those happy times.

Mr Utley has given us a great character in Taylor, as well as all the minor players in what is a first class romp through times gone by. I would love to think that modern-day children will enjoy it as much as us middle-aged children undoubtedly will.

I hope there is another one on its way soon, before Taylor leaves to go on to great things in his life.

Page: 1 | 2