Profile for ReadingGrrl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 135

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ReadingGrrl "seelieqn" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Murder of Adam and Eve
The Murder of Adam and Eve
by William Dietrich
Price: $12.59
16 used & new from $8.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you thinking after you close the cover, December 14, 2014
I was iffy about this one when I started it but then I got caught up in the story. How would two teens survive in ancient Africa? They have to find food, water and stay alive, all while trying to track down Adam and Eve before the Xu do.

I found this book a bit blaze when it came to the teens having to trap and kill animals. I know they are hungry but I still think modern teens who aren't into hunting would have a hard time skinning a rabbit. But if you overlook some of these little things the story is interesting. What if you had the ability to change time? What if you could become the next Adam & Eve? Would helping to save the current Adam and Eve by any means effect their development. These are two modern teens with modern thinking can their ideas influence the future? The book doesn't really answer all of these questions but it poses them which makes you wonder can one person change the course that humanity has set? Makes you wonder.

I liked this book. Its simple but gives you things to ponder long after you close the cover.

The Martian: A Novel
The Martian: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy on Tech - Slow to start - gets better, October 29, 2014
This was a tech heavy book. I almost stopped reading it was so technical but I thought there may be hope if there was more to the story. If you are into technical details of surviving on Mars, creating water from gas, and atmospheric pressures you will love how richly detailed this book is for those of us not so interested be prepared to skim or skip the book altogether because there is quit a bit of skimming to do.

Between the technicalities of surviving on Mars with not a lot of food and only 70's TV shows, Disco music and some English mysteries, there is the story of how the people on Earth try to figure out how to save Mark. Of course the media turns Mark into a star, too bad he isn't there to witness it. Meanwhile between just trying to survive, Mark plans for if he doesn't make it, writing letters to his parents, and his friends.

While interesting, I wouldn't call this a riveting read, unless you are a tech head and love all things space, for me the saving grace was Witney's sense of sarcastic humor which brought a nice distraction to the story. It did get better the more I read which is the only reason I kept reading, plus I wanted to know if he got off Mars! (no I'm not saying) So if you are looking for something new or like space travel or enjoy technical stuff this book is for you, if not you may want to take a pass.

Beneath The Secrets (Tall, Dark, and Deadly) (Volume 3)
Beneath The Secrets (Tall, Dark, and Deadly) (Volume 3)
by Lisa Renee Jones
Price: $7.11
27 used & new from $7.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and steamy, October 14, 2014
Blake is the broken brother. Shattered by the death of his finance by the cartel that he blames himself for. He has sworn that he will bring this cartel down and doesn't care if it brings him down too. With nothing to lose he hides his investigation from his brothers who he knows would stop him. When trying to get in deeper with the cartel he winds up naked, drugged with his merchandise stolen by the woman who was supposed to be his contact. He finds himself facing her again only a few days after their last encounter, she is definitely more than she seems.

Another of the hot Walker men finds a woman who can crack the hard outer shell that they seem to have build up around themselves. After breaking through this shell Blake finds himself facing not only his own insecurities and emotions but also the strong determined woman who won't allow him to sacrifice himself.

Another good edition to the Tall Dark & Deadly series. I like that the women are strong, determined and smart, not in any way weak or terrified shrinking violets. A fun quick, mind candy story.

Dangerous Secrets (Tall, Dark, and Deadly) (Volume 2)
Dangerous Secrets (Tall, Dark, and Deadly) (Volume 2)
by Lisa Renee Jones
Price: $9.99
27 used & new from $8.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun quick sexy read, October 9, 2014
The Walker brothers are sexy, gorgeous and deadly. Julie is on her way to her best friends wedding to one of these sexy men when she runs into the brother who broke her heart. What she doesn't realize is that she touch his too but he had no choice when he left the first time and he doesn't intend on letting her go this time around.

Julie finds herself tangled within a stolen art ring that is funded by a Canadian cartel. Luke is not going to let anything happen to her but battling her nerves and battling her growing emotions for Luke may prove too much for Julie.

Well written romance, with a good mystery attached. Was it cliche? Maybe, but how many romance novels don't follow a formula and aren't cliche? Not many. I'm liking these Walker boys, can't wait to read the next one.

Cage of Bones: A Novel
Cage of Bones: A Novel
by Tania Carver
Price: $18.94
46 used & new from $2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, October 7, 2014
This review is from: Cage of Bones: A Novel (Hardcover)
These books are just downright scary. They remind me of when I first started reading the author Jeffrey Deaver, and how horrifyingly realistic some of his murder plots were. The fact that they were so random terrified me, and while these murders were not so random its so crazy and gruesome I could see it actually happening. I don't know what that says about me and my imagination but these books freak me out but I also can't put them down!

Tania Carver knows how to set the stage and make you squirm. Some of her descriptions may be a bit graphic for some people but she always manages to surprise me. Normally I can figure out mystery novels and who did what when but her stories are a bit more complex and while I may have an idea of where her stories are headed there is usually a surprise twist. If you like scary you will like Tania Carver.

Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles)
by Kevin Hearne
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
102 used & new from $0.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Sticking it to the Man, October 1, 2014
I love Atticus and his dog Oberan. I particularly love the dog who loves to watch movies and live in character - right now he is all about the 60-70's and "sticking it to the man". All the characters in the book are great. The whole book just waffles back and forth between serious and outright funny. Atticus may be centuries old but he has learned how to fit into modern day and tries to fly under the radar but its getting harder after killing a God. Now it seems everyone is either scared of him or trying to take him out, not to mention he seems to be caught in a fight between two Godesses both who seem to want a piece of him (literally). Since his cover of being a stupid geeky book store owner is slowly being carved away by incidents beyond his control he now finds himself being more himself, which can be dangerous. He can sometimes be found wandering the streets naked, riding around town with a sword strapped to his back and turning into different animals to help him escape different situations. So far this series hasn't disappointed and it just seems to be getting better. Can't wait to see what is in store for the druid and his friends next time.

The Summer of Dead Toys: A Thriller (Inspector Salgado)
The Summer of Dead Toys: A Thriller (Inspector Salgado)
by Toni Hill
Price: $19.04
52 used & new from $0.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me guessing, September 22, 2014
I love love loved this book. I didn't have high hope after getting two books from Blogging For Books that I wasn't so thrilled with but this one didn't disappoint. From the very first page every motion was well crafted and thought out. I can usually figure out who ultimately was responsible for things but this book totally kept me guessing, even during the final unraveling and reveal I found that I was off the mark.

Salgado is a broken man, his wife left him for another woman, and he is on probation from work for assaulting a voodoo doctor who was involved in a human trafficking. Upon returning he is given the assignment to unofficially look into what seems to be an accidental death or suicide of a young boy of privilege. The further they investigate the more they uncover and this death is anything but routine. In the meantime the man who Salgado assaulted has gone missing.

There are many different story lines in this book but they all converge in the end to a mostly satisfying conclusion. I found the characters to be realistic with all their flaws and insecurities, it left me wanting to know more about each of the main characters. Even the descriptions of those involved in the cases were sympathetic in their own way. Even when they were a bit despicable you could feel some type of compassion for them. If you like a well written thrill pick up something by Antonio Hill.

FitFlop Women's Dash Boot,Black,7 M US
FitFlop Women's Dash Boot,Black,7 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fit and Feel, September 19, 2014
My only issue with this shoe is that I feel like there should be a loop on the top back of it so you can pull it on. Its tough to get your foot in and its tough to just grip the back of the shoe. I love the fit and they are very comfortable once you get them on.

Suburbia (Roger Corman's Cult Classics Series)
Suburbia (Roger Corman's Cult Classics Series)
DVD ~ Chris Pedersen
Price: $13.96
22 used & new from $8.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, September 19, 2014
Cult classic from the 80's. I watched this so many times as a teenager. I forced my daughter (age 20) to watch it. The acting is terrible but the story was still good and she enjoyed it, despite it being a bit of a B movie.

House of Bathory
House of Bathory
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Characters, September 19, 2014
This review is from: House of Bathory (Kindle Edition)
I am fascinated by Elizabeth Bathory and her twisted mind, and her horrific crimes. Apparently so are many many others as this book is a great mix of historical fact and fiction mixed together. Alternating between modern time and the 1600's this story tells the history of Elizabeth Bathory and her twisted desire for eternal youth, and the more modern story of a young girl with a twisted past trying to make sense of the strange dreams she is having and the therapist who may have a connection to the Bathory legend.

The characters are well developed and compelling although I did have a pet peeve with the whole Goth thing. Betsy's patient Daisy is Goth, and Lafferty's description of Goths and their lives etc are a bit off and not quite what you usually find when meeting one. But despite this I found that Linda Lafferty has woven a great story blending past and present and how things may all be connected. There is a lot of information on Carl Jung and his controversial Red Book and a peak into his therapeutic style but the real story unfolds around Elizabeth Bathory, her connection to a Hungarian Count and reincarnation.

I found this book highly enjoyable and I will look into other books by Lafferty in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14