Profile for Britt Arnhild Lindland > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 101

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Britt Arnhild Lindland RSS Feed (Norway)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France
The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France
by Carol Drinkwater
Price: $12.00
143 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet life in southern France, September 12, 2003
When we came home from our vacation in southern France this summer my sister in law gave me this book. I have read Frances Mayes' books about Tuscany several times and love them so much, I though, oh, just another writer trying to write like her. But I was totally wrong. Carol Drinkwater buys a farm in southern France just like Mayes does in Tuscany, but there stops the similarity.
Carol Drinkwater's style of writing is unique in the way she let us take part in her life. The book is so much more than a book about buying a farm, it is a love story to the man in her kife she has just met, it is the story of how to adjust in the life of being a step mother, it is a story of adapting another country and it's inhabitants. And her writing is so good you just melt into the book, can't put it down, feel you are there at the farm with her.
What I liked most about the book si that it shows several aspacts of the "sweet life". Not everything is romantic, we also meet the shadows of the life of buying the farm. Drinkwater opens her heart to the readers for good and for worse, and this way she makes to book a masterpiece of the love story literature.
Thanks for this book. I have already ordered it's sequel and know that when it arrives I will need to put aside anything else for some reading hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Roman mystery, May 11, 2003
A friend recommended Steven Saylor, and since this was the only one I found in my local book store this is the one I bought. Not a mystery fan actually I still found this book intriguing. The plot is set in acient Roma, and though alot of places the language is too modern to get the right feeling Saylor has also captured an ancient mode through the story.
The plot takes a long time to reveale itself though and when I finally knew what the plot were all about the story went on and on with little happening. It might be my problem that I have not read any of the other books in the series, I really felt it hard to get to know Gordianus, the main character, the hero of the book. At the same time it is where Saylor writes about Gordianus and his family the book is at it's best.
I still gave to book three stars though. The story really had something in it, and aspecially the surprisingly ending gave me satisfaction as a reader.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2009 7:21 PM PST

Quilt Artistry: Inspired Designs from the East
Quilt Artistry: Inspired Designs from the East
by Yoshiko Jinzenji
43 used & new from $14.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., April 29, 2003
Yoshiko Jinzenji has made a beautiful book showing her magnificient quilts and pieces of fabric arts.

The book itself, photos, paper, printing, writing, style, is a piece of art. A book you will be happy to own, no matter if you are a quilter or just a book lover. A perfect coffee table book for any home, though this one is so much more than a coffee table book. This book deserves to be read and be looked through again and again.
Yoshiko Jinzenji has been a quilter for a lifetime, and during these years she has developed her own unique and perfect style. We get to know Jinzenji through the pages of the book, both through words and through pictures. We meet her and her quilts in Kyoto, and we meet her in her studio in Bali. The book also have a section on how to make quilts, easy to read, easy to follow the step by step instructions. Jinzenji makes her quilts from ancient fabric collected from around the world, and she makes her quilts from natural dyes in light, clean colors. But no matter what the fabric is, her vibrant quilts all stand out and have all their own story to tell
The highlights in the book though are the pictures. The somewhat clean and stylish picture of a Small Modern Amish quilt displayed on the wall in her Kyoto home, the fantastic puzzle of an uncountable number of small Mandala quilts put together to form a universe in colors, cloths and patterns, the collague of many pictures from scenes around her studio in Bali as inspirations for future quilts.
The way the writing and photos in the book are put together shows the reader a new way to look at the surroundings, and through that a new way to look at life. Or to say it with the words from the foreword of the book, written by textile designer Jun'ichi Arai; I am convinced that Yoshiko Jinzenji's achievements in establishing a new genre in quilting will never be forgotten.

Tippi of Africa
Tippi of Africa
by Tippi Degré
23 used & new from $21.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking with the animals, April 5, 2003
This review is from: Tippi of Africa (Paperback)
In town today when buying Easter books for the kids I found Tippi in Africa for my 7 years old. I have been to Africa several times, and now wants to bring my family, but they always say no, they don't want to go to Africa where there are dangerous animals, where there is poverty and the water is not clean. So I found this book the perfect present for my daughter.
We read the book right away when we came home, and what a treasure. The book tells about Tippi's childhood. The daughter of French nature photographers she spends most of her childhood in Africa. And growing up against the wild animals she and her surrondings soon discover that she has a very special ability to speak with the animals.
The book is filled with amazing photographs, and anecdotes from Tippi's childhood. Who can resist starting to dream about Africa after reading this book.
Thanks Tippi for sharing your life with us.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2013 9:01 AM PDT

Quilts from the Smithsonian
Quilts from the Smithsonian
by Mimi Dietrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilts from the Smithsonian, September 22, 2002
I'm a quilt lover, and my favorite are old scrappy quilts. I do alot of quilting myself, but as a result of my love for quilts I also collect quilt books. One of my favorites is this little books from That Patchwork Place, Quilts from the Smithsonian by Mimi Dietrich
The book has pictures and patterns of 12 great quilts from the Smithsonian collection, from a simple Plaid Patch to the more complexed Chesapeake Rose, and The Lilies of the Quilters. There are all colored pictures all through the book, and the there are easy to follow directions helping you to make your own quilts for future generations to love. Or if you are not a quilter the book si a perfect coffee table book with all it's colors and inspirations.
Britt Arnhild Lindland

Jim Boton Y Los Trece Salvajes (Spanish Edition)
Jim Boton Y Los Trece Salvajes (Spanish Edition)
by Michael Ende
3 used & new from $29.98

3.0 out of 5 stars A sequel with Jim Button, September 22, 2002
After finishing Jim Button and Luke the Engin Driver my 6 years old daughter and I wanted to read more about Jim and Luke. In this sequel we follow the two friends through alot of adventures, all the time for good. Jim learns his origin story, and everything gets a happy ending.
Michael Ende has a fantastic way of writing, and this is also absolutely an Ende book, but in many ways my memories of Jim would have been better if there were only the first book. This second one can not be compared to the first, it is long, and you never get to any good points. I still like it though, but both my daughter and I were happy to start something new after these more than 300 pages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11