Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Thomas Frank > Reviews

Browse

Thomas Frank's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas Frank RSS Feed (Ames, IA USA)

Oster BVST-EK5967-NP Digital Temperature Control Kettle, 1.7-Liter
Oster BVST-EK5967-NP Digital Temperature Control Kettle, 1.7-Liter
Offered by Georges Unlimited
Price: $28.99
13 used & new from $8.92

1.0 out of 5 stars It will break., July 1, 2014
Bought this from a department store without checking reviews. All the other people saying it's a bad product are right. Mine broke within 11 weeks of completely normal usage. Don't buy this.

Foundation iPhone App Development: Build An iPhone App in 5 Days with iOS 6 SDK
Foundation iPhone App Development: Build An iPhone App in 5 Days with iOS 6 SDK
by Nick Kuh
Price: $29.99
45 used & new from $10.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great app building start for those with some programming experience, January 29, 2013
I run a fairly successful blog about college success. Since I've been blogging for almost three years, I've done my fair amount of PHP and WordPress hacking to make my site work better. This year, though, I decided that I wanted to build a native iPhone app for my site so readers could get my content on their phones - and I had NO idea where to start.

I somewhat randomly picked this book up off the shelf and bought it - and I'm very glad I did! Nick's book has been great so far, and I'm very glad he has the book's project app finished and in the App Store for download.

The book itself is written in a very entertaining style - not like a lot of the really dry stuff I had to slog through learning PHP a couple years ago. He includes plenty of screenshots, even some that are almost unnecessary (but still nice to have). The fact that the book is broken down into "days" of app-building works really well for the way I set goals, and I'm progressing nicely.

Lastly, I'm glad to see that Nick keeps his site updated with fixes to the code due to updates to the technologies worked with. I'd definitely recommend this book if you've got some development experience and want to learn to build iPhone apps

For the absolute beginner, it'd be a good idea to use Codecademy or another resource to get a programming foundation before starting a book like this.

THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES and THE COMPLETE TALES OF TERROR AND MYSTERY: Authorized Version by the Conan Doyle Estate, Ltd. (ILLUSTRATED) (Complete Works ... | The Complete Works Collection Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great edition of these great stories, December 25, 2011
This is an awesome collection of Holmes stories with an active Table of Contents.

Earlier I had thought the second part of Study in Scarlet was replaced by the Book of Mormon, but upon further reading I discovered that this second part really is about Mormons. Go figure!

Lovers Requiem
Lovers Requiem
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $10.51
63 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An orchestral masterpeice, August 18, 2008
This review is from: Lovers Requiem (Audio CD)
Many people compare this band to others such as AFI and MCR, but to me that's like saying a gun is the same as a stick because they can both be considered weapons. I Am Ghost's music is so much more complex and beautifully orchestrated that either of those bands. Here's my take on each song.

Crossing the River Styx: Could be considered a filler opening, but I think it sets the haunting theme of the album nicely. The female singer's seemingly far away high notes are breathtaking. (8/10)

Our Friend Lazarus Sleeps: This is the song that introduced me to this band. I heard it on a Warped Tour cd and thought, "This is what it's like to be in a tornado." Maybe not quite like that, but this song is incredibly intense and fast-paced. It's like a roller coaster ride, complete with sharp turns, jerks, and drops. (9/10)

Killer Likes Candy: Another great song. The duet parts are especially nice to hear. (8.5/10)

Dark Carnival of the Immaculate: This song has a weird, spooky carnival into that blends into another intense number. However, for some reason I find this song to be the least distinguished on the album. (8/10)

Pretty People Never Lie, Vampires Never Really Die: This is another intense song that's really catchy.

Of Masks and Martyrs: One of my favorite songs. A song is only as great as the sum of its parts, and each part is amazing. (10/10)

Lover's Requiem: The title track of the album is also one of my favorites. The female vocalist does a great job on the chorus here. (10/10)

We Are Always Searching: An incredibly catchy song with a violin riff that won't soon leave your head, this remake won't disappoint. (9/10)

The Ship of Pills and Needed Things: The first time I listened to the album, this was the standout song to me. The horns in the intro and the rest of the song as well were very catchy and infectious. However, I think this is the song that people will tire of first. (8/10)

The Denouement: Many people don't like this song, but I think its a worthy instrumental that leads into the softer side of the album. (8/10)

This is Home: Showcases the female vocalist's talents, and is one of the best and most emotional on the album. (9.5/10)

Beyond the Hourglass: There are parts of this song that I love, and there are parts I can't wait to listen to again. This song is absolutely awesome, and makes an amazing closer unless.... (10/10)

The Malidiction: ...you get the japanese version of the album, which ends with this incredibly emotional and moving song. The most memorable of the bunch. (10/10)

Buy this cd.

Pressure the Hinges: Special Edition
Pressure the Hinges: Special Edition
Offered by Marks Ear Candy
Price: $8.26
29 used & new from $2.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best work yet, May 3, 2007
This album is much different from the last 3. They've made a more melodic album this time and the new vocalist is much better. Standout tracks are "Pressure the Hinges", "Stitches", "Chorus of Angels". I recommend getting the special edition for the bonus track "In memory" as well as a cool re do of "Chorus of Angels" The DVD is cool too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2007 8:57 PM PDT